cannot print pdf files in puppy slacko

Using applications, configuring, problems
akatz712

cannot print pdf files in puppy slacko

#1 Post by akatz712 »

Hardware - dell inspiron 910, canon pixma mp495 printer usb connected.
Software - Puppy Slacko 5.3

I added the printer and I was able to print a text document from abiword, however when I printed from PDF viewer 0.1.7 nothing came out of the printer even though the job was completed.

Thinking this was an image issue [since this pdf is not text], I did a print screen and from mtPaint, I sent the image to Firefox as a png file, and firefox was able to print it.

So, it seems as if not only is there Cups and printer drivers, each application needs to be aware of how to print. This is where MS windows has Linux in the dust, but I am not going back to MS.

So, is there a pdf program I can use which will print on my printer?
Or, is there some sort of configuration issue to be resolved?

Thanks and I hope I am posting this in the right place.

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

I tested this in Slacko 5.3 using different printers and PDF files. It worked every time

Perhaps the problem is in your specific PDF. Can you try another one?

Could you send me a personal message with your PDF attached? Just change its name to file.pdf.gz.

akatz712

evince prints pdf

#3 Post by akatz712 »

I remembered that I have seen evince document viewer, and installed the pet for that, and I was able to print the pdf files.

So, there must be a bug or the printing feature is incomplete in the simple pdf viewer program set up as the slacko default.

rcrsn51

Re: evince prints pdf

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

akatz712 wrote:I remembered that I have seen evince document viewer, and installed the pet for that, and I was able to print the pdf files. So, there must be a bug or the printing feature is incomplete in the simple pdf viewer program set up as the slacko default.
I own an MP490. I installed it in CUPS as an MP495 using the built-in Gutenprint driver. I printed the first page of your test document with no problems.

I then sent it to some other printers and they all worked fine too.

What other software packages have you installed?