Wary/Racy 5.3RC2 (5.2.91)

Please post any bugs you have found
vicmz

#76 Post by vicmz »

L18L wrote:xorgwizard running in console seems missing the new console font .

I have noticed this because ö and ü had no correct display in dialogs.
Same for Spanish, written stress (á, é, í, ó, ú) and Ñ are replaced with random characters. In some parts even extra characters are added in random places, for example the picture below says 'kalgunas' instead of 'algunas'.

Barry,

As MoManager seems to include in the langpack only .mo files made through MoManager, the langpacks I make have the 44 files I made with MoManager so far but exclude the 50 .mo files of existing translations, some of them for applications not included in the list of .mo files (HomeBank, ePDFView, AbiWord etc.), that's why the created langpack is less than 200k. I also checked the generated folder langpack_es-xxxxx to find out why my new langpack doesn't install my translations in 'applications' and 'desktop-directories', these folders appear with a '.in' suffix, for example appliactions.in, so when I install my langpack I get an 'applications.in' folder outside the 'applications' directory. I modified the generated folder langpack_es-xxxxx (removed '.in' folder suffix and added existing translations to what has been done so far) and used don570's Right-Click to produce a langpack (over 1MB), then tested without pupsave and it worked, I could see the desktop, the menu and great part of the applications in Spanish. I also tried including the Spanish dictionary for AbiWord, the langpack installs the dictionary but for now I don't know how to set it as default. I attach that langpack to this post so that you can check it and let me know how I'm doing.

Something that doesn't really have to do with translations: I work on intel celeron machines, could it be that some of the things that don't work for me, but work for others, have to do with the kernel version in Racy? I mean, should I use Wary instead? For example, in the latest Racy ( 5.2.2.8 ) I can't launch PGPRS Setup, and I had to remove my flash drive to test my langpack because pfix=ram didn't work for me.
Attachments
xorgwizard-spanish-characters-not-displayed-properly.jpg
Spanish written stress not displayed properly in console
(68.55 KiB) Downloaded 863 times

L18L

#77 Post by L18L »

vicmz wrote:
L18L wrote:xorgwizard running in console seems missing the new console font .

I have noticed this because ö and ü had no correct display in dialogs.
Same for Spanish, written stress (á, é, í, ó, ú) and Ñ are replaced with random characters. In some parts even extra characters are added in random places, for example the picture below says 'kalgunas' instead of 'algunas'.
I will download and look at this

----------------------------------

Result

I could reproduce above mentioned.
But in my running racy which has always been updated
everything was allright!

vicmz, please stay patient, next version will work OOTB 8)

http://fossies.org/linux/misc/kbd-1.15. ... .LatGrkCyr

-----------------------------------

BarryK
Puppy Master

#78 Post by BarryK »

L18L wrote:vicmz, please stay patient, next version will work OOTB 8)
Yes, Racy 5.2.2.9 should fix it! I am uploading it now, it is going slowly, will announce when ready.

5.2.2.9 is "5.3beta3" but is really of most interest to the language translators, as that is where most of the improvements have taken place.

L18L,
Yes, there are still some issues to work out in MoManager, we will see if we can fix those. There are still a few things in QuickSetup too, related to what happens after a user chooses to change locale.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

vicmz

#79 Post by vicmz »

L18L wrote: I could reproduce above mentioned.
But in my running racy which has always been updated
everything was allright!
Thank you guys, I should definitely learn to use Woof and its updates :lol:

sszindian

Racy & The IRS

#80 Post by sszindian »

For those who use Racy and are required to file a 1040a form for your income taxes, you may be interested to know...

You can download the .PDF 1040a 'fill-able form' from the IRS site...

http://www.irs.gov/formspubs/index.html

Then go get 'Acrobat_Reader-9.3.3-Lucid.pet' from the puppy repository at:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... ges-lucid/

Acrobat_Reader-9.3.3-Lucid.pet installs and 'works' in Racy very well (probably should be in Racy PPM).

Now you can use your computer to fill-in your 1040a and save it, print it out, mail it in. (Also, Should work fine for 'ANY' .PDF fill-in form.)

Acrobat_Reader-9.3.3-Lucid.pet is quiet large '68MB' so have enough savefile space available.

Hope you get a Large Return!

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

L18L

Wary/Racy 5.3beta3 (5.2.2.9)

#81 Post by L18L »

Setting of hostname is in QuickSetup now.

But should not be in Change Resolution

---------

PPM: wrong path for langpacks
Testing file exists wrote:Spider mode enabled. Check if remote file exists.
--2012-03-12 18:41:40-- http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/pet_packages-noarch/langpack_fr-20120307.pet
Resolving distro.ibiblio.org (distro.ibiblio.org)... 152.19.134.43
Connecting to distro.ibiblio.org (distro.ibiblio.org)|152.19.134.43|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response...
HTTP/1.0 404 Not Found
Content-type: text/html
Connection: keep-alive
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 17:40:24 GMT
Server: lighttpd/1.4.26
Remote file does not exist -- broken link!!!
http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/pet_packages-noarch/langpack_fr-20120307.pet

_________

Changes we had made in
/usr/share/sss/initrd_strings/initrd_strings.de (early boot messages)
are NOT automatically used.
edited: OK, I have changed them manually using "lang2initrd de"
_______
Attachments
Change_resolution.png
(22.42 KiB) Downloaded 1840 times
Last edited by L18L on Tue 13 Mar 2012, 09:11, edited 3 times in total.

Billtoo

#82 Post by Billtoo »

Last edited by Billtoo on Sat 17 Mar 2012, 00:21, edited 1 time in total.

Billtoo

#83 Post by Billtoo »

I made an sfs file which contains the newest
smplayer-0.7.1,smtube-1.0, and qt-4.8.0
If you load smtube you can search youtube for any videos that you
would like to play/record and it will call smplayer to play the video.
The F11 function key in smplayer also calls smtube.

The download link for smplayer-0.7.1-i686-racy.sfs is:

http://www.datafilehost.com/download-3cbea789.html

esmourguit

#84 Post by esmourguit »

Bonjour à tous,

First test of Racy 5.2.2.9

Frugal install on ext3 partition : I copied files initrd.gz, vmlinuz and puppy_racy_5.2.2.9.sfs in directory Racy5229 and modified menu.lst of Grub4dos. No pupsave file.
I run new Racy 5.2.2.9 from grub4dos.

The boot was normal, but when the desktop is displayed, the proposed resolution was 1280x1024 for my old 17" RTC monitor whereas usually all previous versions offered me 1080x768.

In the window Quicksetup start, I changed the resolution to be 1024x768, chosen locale, keyboard and time zone.
I validated (it takes a relatively long time after validation and before displaying the popup listing the changes and to click on it, which may suggest that the machine no longer works),and unfortunately the resolution change has not turned out as expected.

I restarted X, without success.

So I launched the Xorg Wizard to return to the prompt, launched Xorgwizard, test equipment and I finally have the desired resolution. But the display is shifted to the right.

Cordialement ;)
[url=http://moulinier.net/][color=blue][b]Toutou Linux[/b][/color][/url] - [url=http://toutoulinux.free.fr/pet.php][color=blue][b]Paquets français[/b][/color][/url]

peebee

#85 Post by peebee »

Hi Barry

Could you check the download links for Wary 5.2.2.7 please?

The links in your blog give 404 errors....

and if you go to Ibiblio then the devx in quirky/test is showing as just 100K big....

Thanks
PeeBee
Last edited by peebee on Wed 14 Mar 2012, 07:28, edited 1 time in total.
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

npierce

#86 Post by npierce »

Barry, thanks for adding recent fixes to Woof and web pages.

By the way, when I opened the April issue of Linux Format, I was pleased to see who was "top dog" in their review of distros for older hardware. :)

vicmz

#87 Post by vicmz »

quicksetup and xdelta spanish locales updated
Attachments
quicksetup_es.png
(106.79 KiB) Downloaded 668 times
quicksetup_es_racy5229.tar.gz
Spanish update for QuickSetup
(16.68 KiB) Downloaded 786 times
xdelta_es_racy5229.tar.gz
Spanish .po and .mo files for Xdelta
(3.05 KiB) Downloaded 645 times

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Wary/Racy 5.3beta3 (5.2.2.9)

#88 Post by BarryK »

L18L wrote:Setting of hostname is in QuickSetup now.

But should not be in Change Resolution

---------

PPM: wrong path for langpacks
Testing file exists wrote:Spider mode enabled. Check if remote file exists.
--2012-03-12 18:41:40-- http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/pet_packages-noarch/langpack_fr-20120307.pet
Resolving distro.ibiblio.org (distro.ibiblio.org)... 152.19.134.43
Connecting to distro.ibiblio.org (distro.ibiblio.org)|152.19.134.43|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response...
HTTP/1.0 404 Not Found
Content-type: text/html
Connection: keep-alive
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 17:40:24 GMT
Server: lighttpd/1.4.26
Remote file does not exist -- broken link!!!
http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/pet_packages-noarch/langpack_fr-20120307.pet

_________

Changes we had made in
_______
Thanks, fixed. I will announce on my blog.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Wary/Racy 5.3beta3 (5.2.2.9)

#89 Post by BarryK »

L18L wrote:Changes we had made in
_______
After you have changed the locale in QuickSetup, a window pops up asking if you want to translate initrd.gz. If you accepted the offer, it should have run lang2initrd.

However, you won't get that offer if booted from CD, as initrd.gz on CD can't be changed.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#90 Post by BarryK »

vicmz wrote:
L18L wrote:As MoManager seems to include in the langpack only .mo files made through MoManager, the langpacks I make have the 44 files I made with MoManager so far but exclude the 50 .mo files of existing translations, some of them for applications not included in the list of .mo files (HomeBank, ePDFView, AbiWord etc.), that's why the created langpack is less than 200k. I also checked the generated folder langpack_es-xxxxx to find out why my new langpack doesn't install my translations in 'applications' and 'desktop-directories', these folders appear with a '.in' suffix, for example appliactions.in, so when I install my langpack I get an 'applications.in' folder outside the 'applications' directory. I modified the generated folder langpack_es-xxxxx (removed '.in' folder suffix and added existing translations to what has been done so far) and used don570's Right-Click to produce a langpack (over 1MB), then tested without pupsave and it worked, I could see the desktop, the menu and great part of the applications in Spanish. I also tried including the Spanish dictionary for AbiWord, the langpack installs the dictionary but for now I don't know how to set it as default. I attach that langpack to this post so that you can check it and let me know how I'm doing.
If you look in 'pinstall.sh' in the PET langpack, you will see how those .in suffix directories are processed.

The reason for having them in .in folders is so that when someone installs a langpack, they don't get menu entries for applications that are not installed.

vicmz

#91 Post by vicmz »

Actually I don't understand anything about programming, and (just in case) I wasn't being critical either, I just told about my experience using MoManager. I should've guessed those .in extensions served for a particular purpose :lol:

By the way, these mini-translations are too long for your blog comment form, so I put them here and commented the post link in the blog post:

Portuguese:

Code: Select all

AVAILMSG="Há um pacote \Zb${AVAILPACK}\ZB apropriado no respositório de PETs \Zbnoarch\ZB, na categoria \ZbConfiguração\ZB. Após ter uma conexão a Internet, clique o ícone \Zbinstalar\ZB da

OscarTalks

Multiple Sound Cards

#92 Post by OscarTalks »

This may be something that is not unique to Racy (though it is happening for me on 5.2.2.9 right now) but perhaps someone can shed some light.

I like to run 2 sound cards in my computers so I can route audio from different applications to different places.

So I have "Soundcard A" (which is integrated on the motherboard) and "Soundcard B" (which is a PCI card).

My problem is that the process of establishing the default soundcard appears to be random.

At first I thought that the Multiple Sound Card Wizard just wasn't working, but I see that there is a file at /etc/asound.conf which appears to define the default soundcard.

But it only specifies a card and device NUMBER eg:

defaults.pcm.card 1
defaults.pcm.device 0

Am I looking at the correct file for this?
Note that the cards are not named.

The big problem arises from the fact that at each boot-up the process of allocating the card numbers seems totally random. Sometimes Soundcard A will be given the number 0 and Soundcard B will be given the number 1 and on another boot-up they can be allocated the other way round.

Would it be possible to have the file set the default card by specifying it by name?

Alternatively (and probably the ideal solution), is there a way to ensure that the allocation of number to name remains the same at every boot-up?

UPDATE - Think I may have solved it. Running the ALSA Wizard (despite my reluctance because of the scary dialog that pops up) seems to have enabled me to lock down the allocation of "Card 0" to the integrated soundcard on the motherboard.

I see that lines have been added to the file /etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf thus:-

# --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
# --- ALSACONF version 1.0.21 ---
alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
alias sound-slot-0 snd-intel8x0
# --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---

The other soundcard does disappear from the options displayed in Multiple Sound Card Wizard when you do this, so I was worried that I may have lost my internal connection to it, but on re-boot they were both there again and on a couple of re-boots the order was staying the same.
I then had to use Multiple Sound Card Wizard (again) to change the default back from "Card 1" to "Card 0". This creates a new file at /etc/asound.conf leaving the previous one there with the suffix "old".

Billtoo

#93 Post by Billtoo »

I did a manual frugal install of 5.2.2.9 to a 4gb flash drive.
I found some wallpaper that suits racy I think :)
No problems so far, working well.
Attachments
racywall.jpg
(33.25 KiB) Downloaded 1602 times

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Multiple Sound Cards

#94 Post by BarryK »

OscarTalks wrote:This may be something that is not unique to Racy (though it is happening for me on 5.2.2.9 right now) but perhaps someone can shed some light.

I like to run 2 sound cards in my computers so I can route audio from different applications to different places.

So I have "Soundcard A" (which is integrated on the motherboard) and "Soundcard B" (which is a PCI card).

My problem is that the process of establishing the default soundcard appears to be random.

At first I thought that the Multiple Sound Card Wizard just wasn't working, but I see that there is a file at /etc/asound.conf which appears to define the default soundcard.

But it only specifies a card and device NUMBER eg:

defaults.pcm.card 1
defaults.pcm.device 0

Am I looking at the correct file for this?
Note that the cards are not named.

The big problem arises from the fact that at each boot-up the process of allocating the card numbers seems totally random. Sometimes Soundcard A will be given the number 0 and Soundcard B will be given the number 1 and on another boot-up they can be allocated the other way round.

Would it be possible to have the file set the default card by specifying it by name?

Alternatively (and probably the ideal solution), is there a way to ensure that the allocation of number to name remains the same at every boot-up?

UPDATE - Think I may have solved it. Running the ALSA Wizard (despite my reluctance because of the scary dialog that pops up) seems to have enabled me to lock down the allocation of "Card 0" to the integrated soundcard on the motherboard.

I see that lines have been added to the file /etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf thus:-

# --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
# --- ALSACONF version 1.0.21 ---
alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
alias sound-slot-0 snd-intel8x0
# --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---

The other soundcard does disappear from the options displayed in Multiple Sound Card Wizard when you do this, so I was worried that I may have lost my internal connection to it, but on re-boot they were both there again and on a couple of re-boots the order was staying the same.
I then had to use Multiple Sound Card Wizard (again) to change the default back from "Card 1" to "Card 0". This creates a new file at /etc/asound.conf leaving the previous one there with the suffix "old".
Yes, that does seem a bit roundabout to fix your problem, but I don't really know any simple fix, other than perhaps adding some documentation.

antiloquax

#95 Post by antiloquax »

Last edited by antiloquax on Sun 18 Mar 2012, 13:53, edited 1 time in total.