Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.4.12 with 3.4.2 kernel.

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
linuph

#1246 Post by linuph »

In Puppy terms:

large, heavy, big, hefty, whopping

would apply.

Makes you think twice if you want to install it...

spandey

#1247 Post by spandey »

Wish Pemasu gifts us a Exprimo based on Precise Puppy !!!

Xtanova

#1248 Post by Xtanova »

Hello everybody,

I wonder if anyone can answer my noob enquiry :?:

I'm using Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.4.10 with 3.4.2 kernel.
Whenever I try to choose from the desktop setup : Bare desktop with no icons, it don't save this setting and next session i find all the icons are still there, same as with the Rox panels i create, they disappear after reboot.

If this is fixed in Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.4.12 .. please advice me how can upgrade my version without losing the setting i have for now.

Thanx
Attachments
dsktp-scrnsht.jpg
(72.61 KiB) Downloaded 988 times

mikeslr

No Desktop Icon Problem with Exprimo 5x3.4.12

#1249 Post by mikeslr »

Xtanova,

I don't like desktop icons or complex menus. So I remove the former, and added a couple application launchers to JWM's tray, and fbpanel (on the left of attached screenshot, currently unhidden by mouse-over). My settings are persistent over reboots. But I don't recall having a problem with 5x3.4.10 either. Default desktop icons used to appear on reboot if I changed (added or deleted) Sfses, but I think that the recent builds overcame that.
Correct me if I'm wrong: (1) to remove the desktop icons you right-click them and select remove. (2) to Add/change JWM's tray launchers you use JWM Configuration from the menu & click to restart JWM; and (3) that your settings are OK until you reboot.

Aside from removing some/all desktop icons, what other display configurations/settings are you making? It appears that you're using Conky, but what did you use to obtain the icons/launchers on the top panel?

mikesLr
Attachments
Exprimo-5X3.4.12.jpg
5x3.4.12 with only desktop drive icons, Jwm tray & fbpanel
(47.81 KiB) Downloaded 998 times

Xtanova

Re: No Desktop Icon Problem with Exprimo 5x3.4.12

#1250 Post by Xtanova »

Thanx mikeslr,

This is my first month as linux user, 2nd week as puppy user, and i admit this is the most helpful community in the linux world 8)

I'm using on the top "wbar" and at the sides of the screen "pwidgets" application that is based on Conky.

My issue is that the some savings are not persistent in Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.4.10..as you see in the screenshot the option of no desktop icons is already saved from the last session, i don't alter or change any settings.. just save and reboot, next session comes with the icons appearing and the rox panel i have on the top is gone too.
mikeslr wrote: Default desktop icons used to appear on reboot if I changed (added or deleted) Sfses, but I think that the recent builds overcame that.
If Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.4.12 got this fixed I was wondering .. whether i can upgrade my current distro without losing my installed applications and my saved settings ?
Attachments
dsktp-scrnsht.jpg
(69 KiB) Downloaded 983 times

Tman

#1251 Post by Tman »

Xtanova wrote: My issue is that the some savings are not persistent in Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.4.10..as you see in the screenshot the option of no desktop icons is already saved from the last session, i don't alter or change any settings.. just save and reboot, next session comes with the icons appearing and the rox panel i have on the top is gone too.
I used to have problems with rox pinboard icons coming back as well. What worked for me was to delete the icons, then remove the file named /tmp/PuppyPin and then reboot. If that does not work for you, try editing the file named /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin and remove whatever icon entries you like from that file...and reboot.

I've tried tinycore and slitaz, which are also great tiny distros ...smaller even than puppy, but I stick with puppy becuase of the wealth of knowledge in this forum, and it's helpful members.

Xtanova

#1252 Post by Xtanova »

Thanx Tman,

That trick solved the issue :D .. it worked after deleting : PuppyPin & PuppyPin-CPY & PuppyPinTMP files from /tmp/.. though the PuppyPin file was only having backdrop reference for the "Pwidgets" application.

After searching I could guess there might be an incompatibility issue for the conky based Pwidgets with dpup distro's generally .. that's is why the desktop was reverting to its default settings in my case ..

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... fc172b2432

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 4de2ae59ad

If so I'm wondering if pemasu can make for a us a compatible dpup pet for pwidgets.

I'm about to upgrade Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.4.10 to 5.X.3.4.12 .. Can I synchronize my current settings to the new version ..i.e, make a pet for current theme and apply it into the new version?

mikeslr

Desktop icons & upgrading

#1253 Post by mikeslr »

Hi again Xtanova,

First, while still in 5x3.4.10, follow the advice Tman gave. He knows far more than I about a Puppy's internal workings. I'm glad he responded because frankly, I didn't know why you had that problem, while I didn't. I suspected it might have something to do with how Conky --which I haven't used recently-- interacts with PuppyPin and was going to suggest you post your question on the Conky Thread.
As far as I recall, both 5x3.4.10 and 5x3.4.11 use the same kernel as that now used in 5x3.4.12, both being merely "bug-fix" upgrades although 11 & 12 were built using a newer Woof. So it's unlikely that applications you've added won't work, or settings won't carry over, with one important exception. The first time a "new" puppy uses the SaveFile from a prior version, the default desktop icons may show up. Tman's recommendations which involve deleting default instructions --if they worked in "10"-- may carry over to '12'. If not, you'll have to repeat them.
A couple of things I'd suggest before you upgrade. First, backup your SaveFile to a protected location. When Puppy boots it will look for SaveFiles at the root of every drive/partition, and in every folder one level down. If it finds more than one SaveFile, it will offer you a choice of which to use. It will not look in a folder within a folder: 3rd level folder with the root of a drive/partition being the first level. You can't ordinarily backup a SaveFile while its in use. But you can backup a SaveFile if you booted Puppy without it, from another Puppy, or from Windows if it can read/write the partition on which Puppy is located. If none of those options are available, consider installing Hot Backup: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=49999. You can always re-install a Puppy which worked for a newer one which didn't.
Second, make a note of what applications you installed in 10. Then take a look at the changes which were made in 11 & 12: They're on the first page of this thread. Before upgrading, delete any applications which have been added to the new version, or which applications in the new version may have rendered superfluous. No reason to waste SaveFile space on them.
Two other things I recommend if you haven't already done so: (1) use Grub4Dos as your bootloader --it will automatically create menu listings for Windows, Frugally installed Puppies and almost all "Full Install" Linux distros. (2) Place Puppy's necessary files in a distinct folder rather than at the root of a drive/partition. I don't want to "hijack" this thread more than necessary. PM me if you want to know why, or need help.

mikesLr

Pelo

no wireless extension

#1254 Post by Pelo »

Nothing .
What can i do ?

pemasu

#1255 Post by pemasu »

Xtanova. Pwidgets is over my coding skills, which are frankly quite poor. Pwidgets has old conky version, it would need updating. I would say Pwidgets works as it works. Good that you got answers to your problem.

If you have your liked desktop created and you poweroff and reboot, your desktop has been backed up. There is desktop restore menu entry in Desktop section also. The desktop will be backed automatically with every shutdown. If you click that desktop restore, it will restore the last saved desktop.

Removing those temp PuppyPins was good advice, thank you guys.

Pelo. I would need much more information. If english is not fluent for you, why dont you pm to my account, write in french longer post about the problem, execute dmesg > dmesg.gz and lspci - nn > lspci.gz in console and also post those created files as attachments. I can translate your french with google translator, and it would be easier for both of us.

linuph

#1256 Post by linuph »

Once again I got bothered by DPMS (Power Save screensaver, standard on laptops), because I forgot to install my own little solution (see http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=79869) upon upgrading to Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.4.12. I never use any screensaver, that's why I feel bothered. So I digged a bit deeper.

There is an initialization error in /usr/bin/pupx. Right after the very first boot, Screensaver Control in PupControl --> Desktop is off, but DPMS is not turned off, as it should be. I found that by turning on the screensaver and turning it off right away again, DPMS is then disabled. It can be enabled/disabled again afterwards.

The initialization error is in /usr/bin/pupx (tail of the file):

Code: Select all

echo -n "" > /tmp/pupx_finalparams
/tmp/pupx_mouseaccel.sh $MOUSEACCEL $MOUSETHRESHOLD quiet
/tmp/pupx_keyboard.sh $KEYBOARDVOL $KEYBOARDAUTO $KEYBOARDDELAY $KEYBOARDRATE quiet
/tmp/pupx_screen.sh $SCREENSAVERFLAG $SCREENSAVERDELAY $SCREENSAVERCYCLE $SCREENSAVERBLANKING $SCREENSAVEREXPOSURES quiet
sync
echo -n "xset " > $HOME/.xset.sh
cat /tmp/pupx_finalparams >> $HOME/.xset.sh
chmod x $HOME/.xset.sh
#...this is evaluated at bootup by $HOME/.xinitrc
# Cleanup
rm -f /tmp/pupx_mouseaccel.sh
rm -f /tmp/pupx_keyboard.sh
rm -f /tmp/pupx_screen.sh
rm -f /tmp/pupx_finalparams
This is not happening, at least for /tmp/pupx_screen.sh and /tmp/pupx_finalparams.sh. I outcommented these two, rebooted and didn't find them in /tmp. As a consequence, .xinitsrc does not find .xset.sh in root and DPSM is not turned off initially:

/root/.xinitrc, excerpt starting at line 75:

if [ -f /root/.xset.sh ];then
 #this is created by /usr/bin/pupx... <<< no, see above
 eval "/root/.xset.sh" <<< doesn't exist
else
 ##Xorg has it's own fontpath settings in /etc/X11/xorg.conf...
 #if [ "`readlink /usr/bin/X`" != "Xorg" ];then
 # #xset fp+ /usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/
 # #xset fp+ /usr/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/
 # xset fp+ /usr/share/fonts/default/Type1/
 # xset fp+ /usr/share/fonts/default/TTF/
 #fi
 xset s 600 600 s blank <<< so DPMS is not turned off
fi
I guess this won't bother too many users and there's a workaround. So it is not a great priority. Nevertheless, a script should do what it is supposed to do. I have difficulty in proposing a definite solution, i.e. an update to /usr/bin/pupx. I'm sure that Puppy experts can do that in the blink of an eye....

pemasu

#1257 Post by pemasu »

Linuph. It is about preferences. I can disable sceensaver AND DPMS in ./xinitrc as default....as I told it is about preferences.

/usr/bin/pupx works as it is designed, probably years ago. Xinitrc script checks if pupx generated /root/.xset.sh is found. It is not found if you have not generated that file with pupx. Those temp scripts are there in /tmp during you use the pupx. As it is executed by the script, those files are deleted after exiting from the script.

Now....what could be put to the /root/.xinitrc, when .xset.sh is not found and it is not executed because it is not found, the .xinitrc executes now this: xset s 600 600 s blank and.... NO, DPMS is not disabled by that command:

usage:  xset [-display host:dpy] option ...
    To control Energy Star (DPMS) features:
	-dpms      Energy Star features off
	+dpms      Energy Star features on
	 dpms [standby [suspend [off]]]     
	      force standby 
	      force suspend 
	      force off 
	      force on 
	      (also implicitly enables DPMS features) 
	      a timeout value of zero disables the mode 
    For screen-saver control:
	 s [timeout [cycle]]  s default    s on
	 s blank              s noblank    s off
	 s expose             s noexpose
	 s activate           s reset
Yep. Screensaver and DPMS are handled separately.

...so to disable as default both of them, you can use something like this in /root/.xinitrc:
xset s off -dpms <<<<< simplest way I think
xset s 0 600 s blank -dpms <<<<<< time to blank is zero and is not executed
.....maybe there is other combinations....

So....it is just the matter what is wanted as default. Blanking or no blanking. If no blanking, I would propose that DPMS is also set off ie this command: xset s off -dpms

Or people could put simple script in /root/Startup which executes xset the way they want.

In fact. PupControl > Desktop > Screensaver creates to the /root/Startup the ss-on or ss-off scripts which has that xset command with appropriate parameters. That is why it is the last definition ( last say ). It overrules the /root/.xset.sh or /root/.xinitrc xset commands because it is executed as last.

And..../usr/bin/pupx does create that /root/.xset.sh script. I have tested it now several times.
Last edited by pemasu on Thu 18 Oct 2012, 14:42, edited 1 time in total.

Xtanova

Re: Desktop icons & upgrading

#1258 Post by Xtanova »

@mikeslr,

Thank you so much for all the valuable information listed in one post.
You were right both the 10 & 12 structures' are similar and the save file worked, but i had to remove the icons again as you mentioned.

I made frugal install for 5.X.3.4.12 on a pen drive first to check what it has from applications, then i copied to it the save file. During booting it asked me to upgrade the save file from 5.X.3.4.10 to 5.X.3.4.12. :)

@pemasu,

The pwidgets has 1.7 conky, and it didn't work unless i install instead (conky-1.8.1-transparency-dpup) from your repo + (imlib2-1.4.2) + (libgstreamer01.10-0_0.10.30-1) + (libgstreamer-base0.10-0_0.30-1)

The desktop restore if im not mistaken had reverted the settings to defaults thus bringing the icons back.

In the end, I switched to your distro after i tried many others, and it is the most compatible for my applications 8)

PS: Donnu why as noob but "vmlinuz" & "initrd.gz" was loading faster during boot in 5.X.3.4.10 than 5.X.3.4.12 ... for 5.X.3.4.10, I installed it on FAT32 pendrive, while 5.X.3.4.12 was frugally installed on EXT2, if it makes a difference.

linuph

#1259 Post by linuph »

pemasu

Thanks for taking the trouble to take a look into this.
xset s off -dpms <<<<< simplest way I think
I normally put that in .xset.sh in /root/Startup and it works....or so I thought.
I just found out: my screen still goes blank after 10 minutes. Screensaver is off. xset q reports:

DPMS (Energy Star):
Standby: 0 Suspend: 0 Off: 600
DPMS is disabled

Although DPMS is disabled the 'Off: 600' is still active. Must be something weird on my system. To set all values on zero I type 'xset dpms 0 0 0'. Then all flags are indeed off. But hold it: DPMS is enabled again. Maybe it doesn't matter now since all flags are zero. Under the motto 'double stitched holds better' I type 'xset -dpms'. Now DPMS is disabled again.

DPMS (Energy Star):
Standby: 0 Suspend: 0 Off: 0
DPMS is disabled

The xset help screen is not very helpful. I found detailed xset info here: http://linux.die.net/man/1/xset
And..../usr/bin/pupx does create that /root/.xset.sh script. I have tested it now several times.
Interesting. .xset.sh in not created in root nor anywhere else on my system. Neither are the /tmp files by pupx.

linuph

#1260 Post by linuph »

pemasu

Some more on xset and Screen Saver Control.

SS Control writes script ss-off to /root/Startup. For disabling DPMS it uses 'xset s off -dpms' but this does not turn the last flag 'Off:' to 0. Only 'DPMS 0 0 0' will turn the whole bunch off.

I guess that would be (part of) the solution. The .xset.sh mystery remains...

pemasu

#1261 Post by pemasu »

Linuph. You are right. The power saving parameter stays unaffected. I found this helpful page:
http://ptspts.blogspot.fi/2009/10/scree ... saver.html

I think is fairly safe to say that you need this to get no blanking working with DMPS enabled screens:
xset s off dpms 0 0 0 or this:
xset s off dpms 0 0 0 -dpms

You learn always something new when someone stubborn enough starts to dig things. I hope radky will follow this discussion, so that he could think of modifying PupControl Screensaver script accordingly.

pupx thread is here. It is script and gui done by Barry Kauler and Nathan F. The dpms powersaving fix after 10 minutes would need that script editing to have pupx also disabling power saving.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=28324

Tman

#1262 Post by Tman »

Xtanova wrote:though the PuppyPin file was only having backdrop reference for the "Pwidgets" application.

After searching I could guess there might be an incompatibility issue for the conky based Pwidgets with dpup distro's generally .. that's is why the desktop was reverting to its default settings in my case ..
I had to do some digging to find out what you were talking about with Pwidgets and the desktop reverting back to default.

I have and older version of Pwidgets installed in my pup, but to be honest, I don't really use Pwidgets these days. So I loaded pwidgets and tried to duplicate your problem:

When I changed my desktop background to one different from the default wallaper and launched pwidgets; the background changed to the default one after I went to File -> Stop/Start Pwidgets and clicked on apply. Now there is a hidden folder named /root/.pwidgets. If you open it up and Start pwidgets, you will see that a png image is created named "Pwidgets_background". When you stop pwidgets, this image gets deleted. So it has nothing to do with the PuppyPin file, but just copies whatever is the default background in the /usr/share/backgrounds folder.

Anyhow, if you go to the first page of the Pwidgets thread, you will notice a link to 01micko's updated Nathan Wallpaper Setter. I have just tested it, and confirmed that works better with the Pwidgets background than the default pwallpaper that comes with Wary.

linuph

#1263 Post by linuph »

pemasu

There were some errors in my pupx, don't know how they got there. Undoubtedly my doing. Sorry.

After reinstating the original pupx .xset.sh is now written to /root.
However, the dpms setting thing remains.

Xtanova

#1264 Post by Xtanova »

@Tman:
01micko wrote: In Dpup it is a different story. "Pwallset" seems to be firm. You can go to /usr/local/apps (in Dpup) and look inside Wallpaper and you will see that Apprun is there, that will run the hacked wallpaper setter for Pwidgets. (I haven't tried this, I just turned off the sidebar in my Dpup, but it might work). If it doesn't work you could disable Pwallset in case there is a conflict.
In the beginning i had the background reverting back to the default wallpaper, but when I copied my wallpaper to /usr/share/backgrounds, it didn't revert back!! what is interesting here is that the alpha bar surrounding the icons of "Wbar" sometimes shows the default wallpaper laying under the hacked wallpaper ... My issue was with the icons are coming back, when i have the pwidgets loaded at startup..by removing the puppypin tmp as per your advice it solved the issue.

There is a coding conflict Tman that makes this, and I may need two years in Linux to be able to identify it .. and to evade the conflict one side must be disabled since we don't know the source of the conflict .. I disabled the rox icons, and 01micko suggested to disable the Pwallset even , till the source of the issue is known, remarkable proof is that many widgets don't load .. try all the widgets in a dpup distro and tell me if they all worked.
Last edited by Xtanova on Fri 19 Oct 2012, 07:23, edited 1 time in total.

pemasu

#1265 Post by pemasu »

Linuph. Yep, your hacking with pupx probably has broken it.
Anyway....I can add that 'dpms 0 0 0 -dpms' to the pupx so that it will be there next time I release dpup.

And you can test it also by changing about 117 line to look like this:
SCREENSAVERPARAMS="s off dpms 0 0 0 -dpms"

And you get the dpms disabling and also set as zero standby, suspend and powersaving.

But.....there are several factors which might turn the dpms back on. some graphics kernel module drivers has dpms governing, some multimedia apps can change the dpms settings, usually there is also some preferences to change those features....power management scripts can have dpms setting rules etc.....

So...creating 100 % bullet proof 'dmps off' system ....is difficult.