Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.4.12 with 3.4.2 kernel.

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
pemasu

#931 Post by pemasu »

I use flsynclient to enable tapping. In tapping section, I slide the tap time to about 200 and I enable one finger as left button. That enables touchpad tapping for me. If it does not work for you....I dont know what else can be done.

About glx gears rating. I dont much trust to it. I am pleased if it gives good results....but I use pure squeeze xorg packages. Which are quite old in fact....But maybe sometimes the older is not inevitably the worse....

Perfomance mode just means one state of cpu frequency scaling. Perfomance is the on demand mode, turbo means that best cpu frequency is in use all the time ( with the expence of battery life) and the powersave means the lower frequency is used all the time ( best for battery usage) and quite adequate with newer laptop for youtube, surfing etc....of course not used when you compile apps or kernel.
With quad core using best performance I compile kernel in 30 minutes.

edoc

#932 Post by edoc »

I don't have tap or slide features on the touchpad in 5x14 or 5x3428 on my Samsung NB30

I used to have them in Fluppy.

Last time I recall those features working in Puppy (as I didn't use the netbook much in the past) 5x9

I am not sure if something integral to 5x9 changed or if there was a PET or SFS employed to make these features work and that stopped working.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

don570

version 1.3 of create-m3u

#933 Post by don570 »

Note to pemasu :

Make sure you include version 1.3 of create-m3u.
Beware . I changed the wording of the right click menu
because it can open several music players now.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 955#641955

rerwin

New Broadcom experiment package available for testing

#934 Post by rerwin »

jim3630, peebee, pemasu, stu90, Terry H, Broadcom 43xx users,
I have created a smaller and simpler Broadcom-wifi experimental package that I hope can eventually be submitted for woof. The posting is again in the original thread, precise pup 5.3.3.3, but separated from the 5.3.3.3-specific brcm drivers:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... b36#644153

The experiment-7 package can be installed in any puppy, but testing is relevant where the wl proprietary driver is installed and, optionally, the brcm open-source driver. It should be installed with peebee's multi-kernel proprietary-driver package already installed or integrated (as it is in Exprimo).

I have tested the package in precise 5.2.60 and 5.3.3.3, lupuplus and exprimo. I hope those of you who have helped by testing the earlier experiments can do so once again. TIA.
Richard

charlie6

«blackscreen» on intel 82845G Brookdale video chip controlle

#935 Post by charlie6 »

Hi Pemasu,
ref: on intel 82845G Brookdale video chip controller featured PC's, once xorgwizard has been run, the display seems black and only shows the mouse cursor after doing Menu / X restart. Doing Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to get to the prompt and xwin sometimes brings the desktop displayed, sometimes not.

I have applied the brookdale-fix-0.0.1.pet.

And even installed xorg_high-0.1.pet.
Installing Icewm seemed improve things as also the brookdale-fix-0.0.1.pet, as I reported - i confess ...too early - that it works.

But,sometimes, still gets the blackscrenn whenever X is restarted and have done «xwin» once in console mode.
I mention «sometimes» as I cannot reproduce this 100%. Sometimes X comes back, even doing X restart 10 times repeatidly.

So I googled around the web and murga-linux, and tested various things as:
- rerwin's i915.modeset-0.1- and 0.2-, as also the i915.modeset-lupu528.-pets which set modeset to =0 in case a 82845G viseo chip is present; I presume these pets only applicable to lupu.
here using modeset=0 prevents system to start (no screen deteced) - so it must be modeset=1 to run;
so i seems that apply modeset=0 is also dependent on the kernel version.
- reading across the web, this seems to be reported as a bug;
- editing /etx/X11/xorg.conf variuos ways; but nothing better.

The only way to restart is to type «reboot» once ion console mode. But with enetual loss of datas of appications opened before running X restart.

question:
do we have to worry about «FATAL: Module fbcon not found» reported in /tmp/xerr.log ?
X.Org X Server 1.7.7
Release Date: 2010-05-04
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.32-5-amd64 i686 Debian
Current Operating System: Linux puppypc22185 3.4.2-dpup #1 SMP Tue Jul 10 15:56:03 GMT-8 2012 i686
Kernel command line: video=640x480 pmedia=ATAHD psubdir=slaktin pfix=fsck
Build Date: 30 October 2011 08:56:49PM
xorg-server 2:1.7.7-14 (Julien Cristau <jcristau@debian.org>)
Current version of pixman: 0.16.4
Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Fri Aug 3 05:20:22 2012
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
(==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
FATAL: Module fbcon not found.
Thanks for any help or advice .

pemasu

#936 Post by pemasu »

do we have to worry about «FATAL: Module fbcon not found» reported in /tmp/xerr.log ?
I have fbcon.ko compiled in, not as module. So the error message is not accurate. Fbcon.ko is needed by some KMS enabled xorg drivers...so for long I have compiled it in. It is loaded with /etc/rc.d/sysinit:
[ "$KMS" = "yes" ] && modprobe fbcon > /dev/null 2>&1 #100703 needed by some xorg drivers when exit to console (ex: nouveau). 110712 maybe builtin.
So...I have compiled it in, as Barry Kauler suggests he might do with his kernels.

Smithy

#937 Post by Smithy »

pemasu wrote:I use flsynclient to enable tapping. In tapping section, I slide the tap time to about 200 and I enable one finger as left button. That enables touchpad tapping for me. If it does not work for you....I dont know what else can be done.
Thanks for the tip Pemasu, will give it a try. Is enable one finger as left button an option in flsynclient? (Am on the desktop at moment, with a proper mouse).

It does feel as though maybe some keyboard key is supressing the tap, so will hunt it down and kill it if this is the case. Edoc, maybe you could try the same with your NB30, see if you get the glidepad tap going.

charlie6

touchpad flsynclient right-click emulation

#938 Post by charlie6 »

Hi Pemasu and Smithy,
here also have these tap settings placed whatever files filename in /root/Startup
( i named it «tap» ) :?
#!/bin/sh
synclient MaxTapTime=220
synclient TapButton1=1
synclient RBCornerButton=3
RBCornerButton=3 allows getting the right-click function by tapping the Right-Bottom-Corner of the touchpad

Have fun

edoc

#939 Post by edoc »

charlie6, Pemasu and Smithy,

I tried flsynclient to enable tapping and that worked, but I didn't test if it persists across reboot.

I added the "tap" file and rebooted and tapping still works (since I did not go back and change the manual flsynclient changes I cannot say with certainty which is active).

I do not have top horizontal edge or right-edge scrolling.

This in on a Samsung NB30.

Thank you for the tap fix!
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

pemasu

#940 Post by pemasu »

Flsynclient has been in the dpup exprimo from the beginning to give gui for basic synaptics configuration. synclient gives you full scale for tuning touchpad. if you type in console synclient...you get all the available options. synclient -l shows the current settings.
Syndaemon is another way to affect to the touchpad behavior.
You can disable touchpad for certain period of time when typing with syndaemon: syndaemon --help
syndaemon -i 1 -d disables touchpad for one second when typing and starts syndaemon in daemon mode.

And you can put the wanted commands to the bash script and place the script to the /root/Startup so that they will be executed with every X start...as Charlie6 stated.

edoc

#941 Post by edoc »

Does this look like it should get the top and right edges to scroll?

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
synclient MaxTapTime=220
synclient TapButton1=1
synclient RBCornerButton=3
synclient VertEdge Scroll=1
synclient VertScrollDelta=100
synclient HorizEdgeScroll=1
synclient HorizScrollDelta=111
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

edoc

#942 Post by edoc »

Perhaps I am missing a step?

I opened ~/root/Startup/ on my wife's laptop.

I created a new file and named it tpad

I edited the file with this:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
synclient TouchpadOff=0 
I rebooted and the touchpad still worked.

Have I misunderstood something, please?
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

pemasu

#943 Post by pemasu »

Possibly your script is not runnable, the syntax is not right also
synclient TouchPadOff=1
disables the touchpad....
In console: chmod a+x /root/Startup/tpad
or with rox right click over the file > Properties and tick all the execute boxes.....
or right click in /root/Startup and choose New > Script and the file is executable straight.

charlie6

tap settings

#944 Post by charlie6 »

Hi,
maybe this is trivial ...sorry then ... :oops:

just to mention that the xorg.conf created at 1st pristine boot (i.e. doing pfix=ram) does not have the «Section InputDevice» for the «Synaptics Mouse»; the above mentionned script have no effect using that 1st-boot-pristine-xorg.conf (there comes an error message like «synaptics driver not installed» ).

Xorgwizard must be activated after 1st boot to create a new xorg.conf containing a «Section InputDevice» with synaptics settings in it.

Cheers :wink:

pemasu

#945 Post by pemasu »

Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.4.2.9 has been uploaded. It uses still 3.4.2 kernel

Updates, additions and changes:
- Recent woof used.
- Firefox 14.01
- e17 - enlightenment window manager has been recompiled from recent git trunk, theme has been changed and lookout has been simplified still. The font is now bigger and uses Deja Vu Sans. Call it aging, lol.
- Pup-volume-monitor added and PcmanFM filemanager uses it. Especially in e17 wm you get from desktop PcmanFM icon clicking possibility to see partitions and drives and mount them.
- PcmanFm filemanager added as stated above. It uses pup-volume-monitor for drives and partitions
- Rerwin`s outstanding work with broadcom drivers has reached le grande finale and it should be now pure proof.
- Rerwin`s suggested woof system script fix package has been included: the post of the content and modifications is here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 525#633525
- As a test...after discussion with rerwin...I have moved all the firmwares to the /lib/firmware from the /lib/modules/all-firmware. The reason. When the firmwares are loaded....they are copied to the /lib/firmware and that way they take some space from savefile. Also there is no need for 2 places of firmwares....they are not compressed anymore. Base sfs compresses them anyway.

- Kirk`s filesharing between puppy and other comps has been added with needed applications. There is menu item under Network. Easy way to feed big file to your home other comps. PureFTPD has been added due to this file sharing.
- Sc0ttman and stu90 have done great work with rtmpdump which streams tv and radio stations to the mplayer. I created menu entries for them under Multimedia: Streamplay TV and Streamplay Radio. Enjoy. There is atm 64 tv stations and 640 icecast stations.
- Zigbert has been busy. He has updated most of his Puppy apps and I have updated the build with them.
- Don570 has created nice Pmusic folder playlist rox right click. Thanks.
- Dhcpcd for sns and wpa_supplicant for sns and frisbee have been updated to the latest versions.
- I think couple of Radky`s Puppy apps has been updated also.
- Get LibreOffice has been updated to the latest version from the thread.
- several script reconfiguration...so that they should work smoothly with jwm and e17.
- several small fixes under the hood.....

Due to e17 reconfiguration....iso size is still about 137 MB. Not bad. Xz compression though.

Download link: http://smokey01.com/pemasu/DpupSqueeze5 ... imo5X3429/

Kernel sources link is in the first post of this thread.

majorfoo

#946 Post by majorfoo »

pemasu wrote: Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.4.2.9 has been uploaded. It uses still 3.4.2 kernel

- Rerwin`s suggested woof system script fix package has been included: the post of the content and modifications is here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 525#633525

Download link: http://smokey01.com/pemasu/DpupSqueeze5 ... imo5X3429/

Kernel sources link is in the first post of this thread.
D/L new iso and booted to desktop.
Sound works, internet auto connected.

Remastered using Rerwin's changes mentioned above. These changes work great. No problems to report at this point. Off to do full install to ext4 hard drive partition. Will report back later on results

majorfoo

Dpup Exprimo 5.x.3.4.2.9

#947 Post by majorfoo »

Full install completed to ext4 partition

Installed twelve pets from my storage partition and made several personal tweaks.

Everything working otb - no problems

Great job

pemasu

#948 Post by pemasu »

Thank your majorfoo. The initial reports by you sounds encouraging. Remastering seems to behave with rerwin`s scripts. I am sure he is delighted to read your feedback.

James C

#949 Post by James C »

pemasu wrote:Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.4.2.9 has been uploaded.
Finally downloading...... testing a bit later.

Billtoo

Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.4.2.9 with 3.4.2 kernel.

#950 Post by Billtoo »

I installed exprimo to a 4gb flash drive.
Installed devx,kernelsourcesfs,and NVIDIA-Linux-x86-304.22.run
I installed a few pets.
Did you know that VLC is up to version 2.0.3?
I'm using a vlc that I made in racy, works good in Exprimo too.
5.X.3.4.2.9 is working well so far.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(172.55 KiB) Downloaded 614 times