slacko 5.3.3, final

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Volhout

scsi

#331 Post by Volhout »

01micko

Are you actually still building with SCSI drivers ? Who is still using SCSI I wonder.... All I read is reports on laptops and quad cores ....
Remember we also dropped analog modems (still in Wary I think).

Volhout ...

01micko

#332 Post by 01micko »

Billtoo

Hmmmm... I have a Cedar Pro HD 5450 .. pretty low end and getting "old" in computer terms.. Nexuiz runs fine for me.. I bet you need the "newer" graphics driver I was talking about, I'll see what I can hunt up.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

01micko

Re: scsi

#333 Post by 01micko »

Volhout wrote:01micko

Are you actually still building with SCSI drivers ? Who is still using SCSI I wonder.... All I read is reports on laptops and quad cores ....
Remember we also dropped analog modems (still in Wary I think).

Volhout ...
Yes, there is plenty of old and not so old scsi gear out there capable of running Slacko. :)

Analog modem drivers are huge, and mostly unsupported in newer kernels, scsi modules are small and supported.

EDIT: I just remembered.. Aitch uses Slacko in scsi gear 8)
Last edited by 01micko on Fri 27 Apr 2012, 12:47, edited 1 time in total.

cthisbear

#334 Post by cthisbear »

" Nice report mate... but the wrong bloody slacko version!!! "

Knew this would happen.

Learning Windows has turned him into a tyrant.

The dev has turned and become a critic.

They're onto me I fear.

""""""""""""

Sound works well.
Screen good.

But.........
Me interface won't load.
Ah! the dangers of getting old.

Your report your majesty....
just the Dell Studio Studio XPS.

The Asus EeePc is unavailable.
Located near where you lived once...ha!..ha!

Thanks mate.....Chris.
Attachments
chris2_report.gz
chris2_report
(13.81 KiB) Downloaded 295 times

01micko

#335 Post by 01micko »

Chris,

Seems to be some weird doubling up of some firmwares

try this in the terminal

Code: Select all

rm /lib/modules/all-firmware/b43/lib/firmware/b43/*
Reboot

If that fails, I'm compiling the proprietary driver for broadcom known as "wl". I'll post a pet later.

Cheers

Broadcom WL pets are uploaded.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... ko_4gA.pet

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... o_paeA.pet

ICPUG

#336 Post by ICPUG »

gcmartin wrote:
playdayz wrote:Slacko Libre Proof of Concept ...
Thanks Playdayz. I know the value of what you present for us.

Question for thought (no requirement to reply)
Could your work be collapsed into a PET? (say, a Libre PET that offers a JAVA dependency as it installs while accomplishing the desktop integration)

I know you (& others) have probably thought of this, before, and there are probably some hurdles that are involved.
The immediate hurdle I can think of is that if in a PET it fills up your save file! An sfs is a different matter but then I'm not sure if a separate sfs can load into RAM.

01micko

#337 Post by 01micko »

I tend to agree ICPUG, but some people prefer full installs, a pet is easier, also, I know gcmartin often netboots and runs in RAM so therefore a pet is easier. I'm uploading the Libre pet now, will take awhile, it includes playdayz integration.

@gcmartin, I'm not adding java as a dep to the libre pet, it's optional and is (AFAIK) only needed for Base, which many users don't use. Can you link me to the exact Java pet that works correctly for you and I'll upload that too and make an sfs.

Jasper

#338 Post by Jasper »

Hi 01micko,

My SFS' load into RAM, including jre 1.7 and LibreOffice (3.4.0.2). All LibreOffice programs load instanteously from Quickstart (which may not be included in later versions). Offline Help works except for the search feature.

You can see from the picture below, bottom left corner that I have no swap file, 597 and a bit MB RAM which is only some one third used. I also have Acrobat reader, Opera 11.62 and other SFS' in use or ready for instant use.

I use seaside's SFS loader/unloader and also his SFS tray loader - there are no checks and "fixmenus" is not updated so seaside's programs are super fast - he even has another program "to load all SFS' in any directory at once". None of these conflict with the pre-installed SFS load-on-the-fly.

I use technosaurus' Simple Menu.pet which loads instantaneously and his Create Menu.pet (where I excluded the alternative Drive icons and converted it to an SFS) which works well and takes less than a second (using "fixmenus" reverts to my usual JWM menu). Also radky's PupMenu takes some two seconds to load or refresh - whereas "fixmenus" takes some fifteen seconds on my ancient desktop computer.

My regards

Jasper

#339 Post by Jasper »

My apology for this double post - now used.

Addendum 1:

Another apology, in the above post the LibreOffice.sfs should have read v. 3.3.0.4 and I omitted to say it is Slacko 5.3.1 Main.

Addendum 2:

I should also have said that I use a Multi-session live-CD and a USB stick (with many absolute links to the loaded CD - which I infrequently update.) which includes my SFS files, SeaMonkey, some 35 Wine programs and even a few pets (which I only istall when rarely needed), some configuration files and all my data (which is saved-on-the-fly so I have nothing to save on reboot or shutdown).

I have two internal hard drives, but I only mount either to make backups or to download files larger than 240 MB.
Last edited by Jasper on Fri 27 Apr 2012, 14:30, edited 2 times in total.

01micko

#340 Post by 01micko »

playdayz wrote:What I *think* might be happening is that the original Slacko iso is built using a newer more efficient compression, but when remastered mksquashfs uses the older compression.
Too true.

Maybe this (untested) patch to remasterpup2?
EDIT: see next page for newer patch

Appends the "-comp xz" option telling mksquashfs to use xz compression if using a 3 series kernel or greater.
Last edited by 01micko on Fri 27 Apr 2012, 22:07, edited 1 time in total.

Karl Godt

#341 Post by Karl Godt »

The xz compression was added to the standard kernel with version 2.6.38 .

Since There are/had been several Puppy kernels out version 2.6.39.x the code schould be something like

KERNEL_VERSION=`uname -r`
KERNEL_VERSION="${KERNEL_VERSION//[[:punct:][:alpha:]]/}"
KERNEL_MAJOR="${KERNEL_VERSION:0:1}"
[ "$KERNEL_MAJOR" = 0 ] && KERNEL_VERSION=1000
KERNEL_VERSION="${KERNEL_VERSION:0:4}"
[ $KERNEL_VERSION -lt 1000 ] && KERNEL_VERSION=$((KERNEL_VERSION*10))
[ $KERNEL_VERSION -ge 2638 ] && COMP="-comp xz" #||gui to select compression

(I bloated it for test if kernel 0.9.x)

playdayz

#342 Post by playdayz »

rxvt -bg orange -fg black -title "$m_01" -geometry 80x6 -e mksquashfs $@ "$COMP"

Appends the "-comp xz" option
Unfortunately the -comp xz seemed to be ignored in remasterpup2 when building the sfs. I tried a few things including hard-coding -comp xz and some "" but it is beyond me. I did do one manually and the difference was from 321MB to 272 MB. Maybe after 5.3.3 is released would be a better time for this? Then I could post a derivative. Concerning the -comp xz, rerwin knows remasterpup2 pretty well, I will ask him.

shinobar, Do I interpret correctly that gcmartin's comments about the "disappearance of java" mean that the java executable is not in the path? i was concentrating on java for Libre and the browsers which seems to work fine, but would a good fix be to make /usr/bin/java containing

/usr/java/java1.6.0_31/bin/java "$@"
I guess the purpose is to run java programs. Are there any to test that people would like to run in Puppy?
Last edited by playdayz on Fri 27 Apr 2012, 18:10, edited 7 times in total.

Karl Godt

#343 Post by Karl Godt »

+ KERNELMAJVER="`echo $KERNERLVER|cut -1`"
+ [ "$KERNELMAJVER" -ge "3" ] && COMP="-comp xz"
typo ..

but Puppy scripts use sometimes KERNELVER and sometimes KERNVER

this has to be looked for also everytime .

Iguleder

#344 Post by Iguleder »

-Xbcj x86
Makes the output image smaller :wink:
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

peebee

#345 Post by peebee »

Hi Mick

Which version of the Broadcom sources are your pets?

Please see my efforts at:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76495

I'll point people to your pets if they are the latest 5.100 versions...

Have you included rerwin's logic to avoid having to do blacklisting?

Cheers
Peter
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

bigpup

#346 Post by bigpup »

01micko wrote:@gcmartin, I'm not adding java as a dep to the libre pet, it's optional and is (AFAIK) only needed for Base, which many users don't use. Can you link me to the exact Java pet that works correctly for you and I'll upload that too and make an sfs.
May be more to it.

Found this statement on Java in the LibreOffice Getting Started Guide.

Quote:
Some LibreOffice features (wizards and the HSQLDB database engine) require that the Java
Runtime Environment (JRE) 1.6.x or higher be installed on your computer. Although LibreOffice will work without Java support, some features will not be available. If you have an older PC and do not
need the features requiring the JRE, you can disable it to speed up the loading of the program.

Quote:
Base (database)
Base provides tools for day-to-day database work within a simple interface. It can create and edit
forms, reports, queries, tables, views, and relations, so that managing a connected database is much the same as in other popular database applications. Base provides many new features, such as the ability to analyze and edit relationships from a diagram view. Base incorporates HSQLDB as its default relational database engine. It can also use dBASE, Microsoft Access, MySQL, or Oracle, or any ODBC-compliant or JDBC-compliant database. Base also provides support for a subset of ANSI-92 SQL.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

01micko

#347 Post by 01micko »

Karl Godt wrote:The xz compression was added to the standard kernel with version 2.6.38 .

Since There are/had been several Puppy kernels out version 2.6.39.x the code schould be something like

KERNEL_VERSION=`uname -r`
KERNEL_VERSION="${KERNEL_VERSION//[[:punct:][:alpha:]]/}"
KERNEL_MAJOR="${KERNEL_VERSION:0:1}"
[ "$KERNEL_MAJOR" = 0 ] && KERNEL_VERSION=1000
KERNEL_VERSION="${KERNEL_VERSION:0:4}"
[ $KERNEL_VERSION -lt 1000 ] && KERNEL_VERSION=$((KERNEL_VERSION*10))
[ $KERNEL_VERSION -ge 2638 ] && COMP="-comp xz" #||gui to select compression

(I bloated it for test if kernel 0.9.x)
Thanks karl but I guess a better test is to just see if the thing exists so I made a different patch

EDIT:
Nah, patch removed, working patch and script in below post.

Iguleder, of course we should add more tests for arch to get the filter right so I'm just leaving it off for now.
Last edited by 01micko on Sat 28 Apr 2012, 04:09, edited 1 time in total.

01micko

#348 Post by 01micko »

peebee wrote:
Hi Mick

Which version of the Broadcom sources are your pets?

Please see my efforts at:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76495

I'll point people to your pets if they are the latest 5.100 versions...

Have you included rerwin's logic to avoid having to do blacklisting?

Cheers
Peter
Bugger! I hate duplification of effort, I guess I should have looked more closely!

Can you post rerwin's code please? And is it in a conf file or as a pinstall.sh?

Cheers

peebee

#349 Post by peebee »

01micko wrote:Can you post rerwin's code please? And is it in a conf file or as a pinstall.sh?

Cheers
Hi Mick

This is the latest version of Richard's initialisation logic that he sent to me to combine with wl.ko compiled from the Broadcom source - it is both conf files plural (3) and a pinstall.

It's this code that is now in pemasu's Precise Puppy 5.3.3.3

It is more complicated than you might expect because it not only deals with the wl / b43 contention situation but also is setup ready to fallback to an earlier version of the wl driver (5.60) if that is present when the 5.100 driver fails (only 1 report of this to date).

We've also applied the patch to the Broadcom source to cause it to create wlan% instead of eth% as the eth% seems to confuse both sns and some users sometimes.

Should I also send you the 5.100 source with all the patches for wlan% and also for k2.6.39 and also > k3.2???

Cheers
Peter
Attachments
peebee-support_components_for_broadcom-wifi_drvr_pkgs-1.pet
(2.76 KiB) Downloaded 610 times
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

01micko

#350 Post by 01micko »

peebee wrote:
Should I also send you the 5.100 source with all the patches for wlan% and also for k2.6.39 and also > k3.2???

Cheers
Peter
If I can get confirmation from cthisbear or anyone else that your drivers are fine (on Slacko) then I'll remove mine and upload yours.

Please post the patched source, I'm not sure of the legal requirements in this department.. are you even allowed to patch broadcom source? I guess they would want to know about it.

Cheers