slacko 5.3.3, final

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
01micko

#376 Post by 01micko »

Hi Jim..

Funny, I was just testing ntfs partitions and no problems here. Have you done a chkdsk lately?

Check your PM on another matter :wink:

(and sorry, in the message it should have said "clucene")
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

zekebaby

Dell C610 and sound again

#377 Post by zekebaby »

Hi folks,

Tried the latest .9 beta on the Dell C610 with Intel 8x0 sound. Clean manual frugal install. I heard the 2 barks on initial boot, but sound is gone on all subsequent reboots after a savefile is created. No errors, and the sound icon is present in the tray at 75%.

Also, strange (and unrelated) is that it took 2 full minutes between the time I clicked on Administrator on the yellow save config dialog till I got the "probing partitions" popup followed by the next dialog.

I'll test the latest beta on the Dell D430 and Panasonic Toughbook CF-T2 later

OscarTalks

#378 Post by OscarTalks »

Anyone else tried downloading the older Flash Player from PPM?
Doesn't seem to be working for me.
Oscar in England

Sage

#379 Post by Sage »

Excellent, as usual, thanks!
Would be nice if it could detect native 1440x900, though. Both DaveS and I have had irritations over that. Perhaps modern NTSC monitor/TVs don't use that format, yet? Surely, they all come from the same source?! Might be a circuitry difference, ie apart from the bleeding obvious one?
Flash Player from PPM
I used the one from the Internet Menu - works OK.

OscarTalks

#380 Post by OscarTalks »

Hello Sage,

I know the newer Flash Player is available from the menu, it's just that I am testing Slacko on a couple of machines including this one which is 10 years old and not the most powerful. Thought I would try the older Flash. The pop-up window even advises as such so if the links in PPM are not working I thought I should mention it. Might be something I am doing wrong though.

I have Lupu running on another 8 year old machine and that has been giving me occasional browser crashes when the more recent Flash is running hard in the page (eg. a media player and a chat window at the same time). SeaMonkey seems a bit more robust than Firefox under those conditions incidentally.
Oscar in England

Sage

#381 Post by Sage »

Thought I would try the older Flash
Worth trying anything where FlashPlayer & Adobe is concerned.
Probably the best guides were given by DaveS a week or two back. He provided a v.10 and a v.11 that worked with older & newer browsers, respectively. There was another correspondent about a week or two before that who recommended a v.9 FP which might be worth a try?

Jim1911

Slacko 3.3.2.9p

#382 Post by Jim1911 »

01micko wrote:Hi Jim..

Funny, I was just testing ntfs partitions and no problems here. Have you done a chkdsk lately?

Check your PM on another matter :wink:

(and sorry, in the message it should have said "clucene")
Hi Mick,

Sorry, I failed to mention that I used an existing 4fs save file on an ext4 partition created using pupsaveconfig in 5.3.3.2.8p and was unable to save edits to my menu.lst file on a ntfs partition. I do fsck on every boot.

EDIT: Tried it on an existing 4fs save file for 5.3.2.8.5. No problem saving to ntfs partition. Problem was apparently just a bad save file.

Another problem, I made a fresh frugal installation on an ext3 partition and on shutdown created a 4fs save file using your shutdown. It appeared to be created properly, however upon reboot there was no background image and all icons were triangles. Opening some programs, and some functions were missing. I could not post a picture because it said that there are no images. Next I deleted the 4fs safe file, rebooted and created a 3fs save file and rebooted again. I am posting with this one and it does not have the problems I saw with the 4fs save file. I will repeat the above and see if there is any difference on a new installation on an ext4 partition.

Re: saving to ntfs, no problem with the fresh installation.

Thanks for the program you sent by PM, I'm sure it's fine, and will test that now on this new installation.

Cheers,
Jim

jim3630

#383 Post by jim3630 »

533rc installed pfix=ram ext4 hdd on a dual p6100 hd. wifi auto detected broadcom driver on wan0 and connection made without issue. installed mesa via ppm and glxgears very smooth even in expanded window. Flash auto downloaded and works without issue. slickpet updated and so far everything seems to work.

looks like another rock solid slacko. thanks for your hard work.

01micko

#384 Post by 01micko »

Hi all

zekebaby,

Tha fact that sound works on firstboot and no errors afterward means that sound is still available to the system but there needs to be a manual setting set right in alsamixer or retrovol, it will be something like "front" or "rear" with the volume down or unchecked. Right click the retrovol icon and try some of the various settings and visit the retrovol thread for clues. I'm sure you'll get it to work, it's difficult to get 100% working sound with general settings.

-

Jim1911

Pupsaveconfig is available from Slickpet (I just fixed it, upload failed before :oops: ). If you have problems with ext4 in Barry's version use it and report if there are still problems. I tested on old and new gear with ext4 saves, even encrypted and had no issues. The reason a save fails is a failed mount of the save. It should be covered in /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown. I also tested inside of X and outside (the old method). Both worked.

-

OscarTalks and Sage

My booboo with flash player in PPM. If you are feeling adventurous, delete the line in /root/.packages/Packages-puppy-slacko-official related to flash-player-10.2. Then run this in console.

Code: Select all

rm /tmp/pet*
..that refreshes PPM. Flash-player from TerryPhi should then appear in PPM. It will be fixed in Final of course. Flash-player-11.2.202 should be ok, but one problem with PPM is that sometimes with common entries only show up one, I'll rename one or the other.

HTH

Jim1911

#385 Post by Jim1911 »

Hi Mick,

I know it's late for a feature request but SFR posted the following code here which I have been using with a 120 second time interval in all pups with Nathan's wallpaper setter. I really like it:

#!/bin/bash

# Randomly changes the wallpaper at fixed time intervals

INTERVAL=10      # in seconds

while true; do
  sleep $INTERVAL
  WALLPAPER=`ls /usr/share/backgrounds | sort -R | head -1`
  set_bg "/usr/share/backgrounds/$WALLPAPER"
done
Adjust the time interval to your needs, save the script as "randomwallpaper" to /root/Startup and make it executable.
Now click on it.
To stop the script, open terminal and type:

killall randomwallpaper
Thanks,
Jim

Jim1911

Wifi printer is not recognized

#386 Post by Jim1911 »

Frugal installation on an ext4 partition on my laptop with a wifi internet connection. Everything appears to be working properly except that my wifi DefaultPrinter HP_Officejet_6500_E709n is not recognized. Ideas?

Thanks,
Jim

James C

#387 Post by James C »

Still booting off the cd,save file on a flash drive.No problems at all.
Been testing the Firefox 12 pet and it appears to be working fine. No problem here accessing the NTFS partitions on this box....been listening to music stored on the internal NTFS partitioned hdd. Windows 7 does automatically keep the hdd defragmented which may be a factor.
Anyway,overall looking really good.

playdayz

#388 Post by playdayz »

Everything appears to be working properly except that my wifi DefaultPrinter HP_Officejet_6500_E709n is not recognized. Ideas?
It might be interesting to see what hpliplite does.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 16&t=58421

ETP

Testing 5.3.2.9

#389 Post by ETP »

01micko

Initial boot to desktop with working sound & wired ethernet. No problem mounting NTFS.
Pets installed & tested so far:
  • chromium-19.0.1072.0-slacko|Browse the Web
    PupClockset-1.9|PupClockset manager
    fontwizard|Configure fonts for LCD
    lm_sensors-3.1.2|sensorsfor cpu, motherboard, fan
    tempicon-0.06|monitors CPU temperature with tray icon
    faenza_lrx_new|
    Blue-Tripack|JWM themes
    nvidia-295.20-k3.1.10-slacko_4gA-s|Configure NVIDIA X Server Settings
    PupControl-2.0|PupControl panel
    PupSnap-1.6.3_Scrot-0.8_32Bit|PupSnap screen capture
    PupShutdown-1.8|PupShutdown manager
    tickr-0.6.0-i486|GTK-based highly graphically-customizable Feed Ticker
    flashplayer-11|Adobe flashplayer plugin
    smplayer-0.6.9-i686|A great MPlayer front-end
    conky-1.8.1-i486|lightweight desktop widgets
    lupufy-slacko-005|Popular Utilities from Lucid Puppy
Everything now seems rock solid. Very well done.
Link to full size screenshot with conky & tickr running.
http://postimage.org/image/dlrravqx3/
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]

shinobar

ANNOUNCE: Updated: pupsaveconfig-2.2.2

#390 Post by shinobar »

Updated: pupsaveconfig-2.2.2.pet (2012-04-30)
Download from http://shino.pos.to/linux/puppy/.
# v2.2.2 29apr12: deeper layer subdirectory (zekebaby), remove legacy, rc.shutdown: avoid re-login VERBOSE message, wmpoweroff and wmreboot: startxface4 (Saluki compatible)
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 085#624085

The pupsaveconfig-2.2.2 allows deeper layer subdirectory thanks to zekebaby, and contains improved code to avoid re-login at shutdown. See the detail at the Saluki topic.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

01micko

Re: ANNOUNCE: Updated: pupsaveconfig-2.2.2

#391 Post by 01micko »

shinobar wrote: The pupsaveconfig-2.2.2 allows deeper layer subdirectory thanks to zekebaby, and contains improved code to avoid re-login at shutdown. See the detail at the Saluki topic.
I'll add it to slickpet.

---------

Sage and Oscartalks

I will also add flash-player to Slickpet's front page. I have been looking for a replacement for the browser-default proggy which isn't needed as we have sc0ttman's default chooser already there. Slickpet correctly resolves if there are 2 versions and offers a popup choice, it will resolve 10 versions! So.. if we find a decent 9 version point me to thataway >>

Sage

#392 Post by Sage »

Excellent!
Can't remember who was advocating a v.9 but it was several weeks ago roundabout when Terry/DaveS were making their observations about Adobe. Perhaps the correspondent in question will stand up and identify themselves and reiterate their contentions as to why it was adequate, etc.
In the meantime, an upgrade to FULL from 5.3.2.8 to 5.3.3 to etc., etc. seems to be successful.

01micko

#393 Post by 01micko »

Slickpet updated 1.9.4

This has flash-player on the front page.. Ignore the 10.2 entry if you see it. it was deleted some time ago. You should see a 10.3x and 11.2x, both from TerryPh. I tested 11.2 x, download works, player works.
Attachments
slickpet-1.9.4.pet
(117.21 KiB) Downloaded 407 times

zekebaby

C610 disappearing sound - workaround

#394 Post by zekebaby »

01micko wrote:The fact that sound works on firstboot and no errors afterward means that sound is still available to the system but there needs to be a manual setting set right in alsamixer or retrovol, it will be something like "front" or "rear" with the volume down or unchecked. Right click the retrovol icon and try some of the various settings and visit the retrovol thread for clues. I'm sure you'll get it to work, it's difficult to get 100% working sound with general settings.
Thanks, you've now uncovered a mystery! I did some digging and sound always works on clean boot, and always fails on second boot once a savefile is created. Both Retrovol and alsamixer show the exact same settings in both working and not working states, so at first glance, you were wrong.

That said, I open up alsamixer in the non-working configuration and tab over to PCM. Still no sound. I hit mute (the 00 turns into MM) - still no sound. I hit mute again (the MM turns to 00) and now sound magically works, so I guess you were also right. Muting and un-muting seems to toggle some invisible setting or register.

It's interesting that alsamixer shows levels as 56 (on Master, Master Mono, PCM and CD), which is 75% of 75%. Could you be applying the volume scaling twice?

shinobar

10alsa

#395 Post by shinobar »

01micko wrote:The fact that sound works on firstboot and no errors afterward means that sound is still available to the system but there needs to be a manual setting set right in alsamixer or retrovol,
I think the /etc/init.d/10alsa in slacko 5.3.2.9 is outdated and missing important fix:
EDIT: 10alsa in slacko 5.3.2.9 is not bad and i suppose update is optional.
http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02711
10alsa in recent woof wrote:#111229 add test file /etc/asound.state exists.
#120103 karl godt: fix unloading modules. refer: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=390
#120222 revert 111229. 120223 shinobar: better fix.
#120226 01micko: added 'Master Front' entries. 120318 bumped it up, 75% to 100%.
But attached i propose better 10alsa.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]