Any good?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

sszindian

Screensaver-Slideshow

#452 Post by sszindian »

Lobster:

Pretty neat... yes it works!

It doesn't give the 'nice-effects' changing pictures that slideshow or screensaver does and not automatic when screen goes blank after 10-minutes (like xscreensaver) with slideshow-0.1, I had an icon on the desktop that did a nice job and had some nice ways of changing pictures, boy, if someone can do a script that will start the f5-one automatically? That would be nice!

Anyway Lobster, 'thanks'

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

lluamco

#453 Post by lluamco »

Hewlett-Packard's Linux Imaging and Printing software (HPLIP) provides drivers to Print, Scan and Fax for capable all-in-one HP devices.
For a list of supported devices, see http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/su ... bined.html

Lite versions of this software are available in the puppy linux world since long time ago, allowing printing and scanning,
but excluding faxing and lacking of the hplip's Graphical User Interface (GUI). See for instance:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 317#439468 or
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 080#444080

Some people are happy with hplip lite versions. Others may like having access to full hplip capabilities.
This has a price to be paid: hplip has a large amount of dependencies.
I have done the exercise to look for all dependencies for implementing a properly running version of full hplip in slacko-5.3.3,
and have made the package hplip-slacko-5.3.3.pet,
a ~60MB file which expands to ~300 MB -be sure to have enough room in your save file!! ,
that includes the dependencies:

dbus-python-0.83.1-i486-1.txz
net-snmp-5.6.1-i486-1.txz
pygobject-2.26.0-i486-1.txz
PyQt-4.8.1-i486-1.txz
python-2.6.6-i486-1.txz (see technical note #1)
qt-4.7.0_hplip.txz (cut-down version of qt-4.7.0.txz)
reportlab-2.5-i686-1sl.txz
sip-4.11.2-i486-1.txz
and the latest hplip (hplip-3.12.4)
hplip-3.12.4.pet

This hplip-slacko-5.3.3.pet is available at http://bit.ly/2kCMVNa
and handles the installation of all the above mentioned packages automatically.
The installation takes some non-negligible time (~5 minutes, depending on the processor's machine, of course) and,
when finished, the hp-setup GUI should automatically appear to help installing your HP printer(s).

USE NOTES:
1. For network printers to be detected, firewall should be off
2. Network printers are better handled using the SLP network discovery method (in the advanced option of the setup program)
3. When scanning is activated from the hp-toolbox GUI, scanned files can ONLY be saved in non-root owner directories.
By default, they are suggested to be saved in spot user's directory.

TECHNICAL NOTE:
1. python is included in the dev_slacko file. In case it is already found in the system, it is not overwritten.
Last edited by lluamco on Tue 07 Feb 2017, 11:13, edited 1 time in total.

Jasper

#454 Post by Jasper »

Questions now withdrawn.
Last edited by Jasper on Sat 19 May 2012, 15:22, edited 3 times in total.

DutchPuppy

Slacko 5.3.3. slow wifi speed with Linksys WPM54G

#455 Post by DutchPuppy »

Hi all,

I got my laptop working well with slacko 5.3.3 :) , and now iam busy with my desktop containing a Linksys WPM54G pci card.

It loads the RT2500pci driver, connects ok, but the highest speed i get is 1 Mb download :( .

Booting with Slacko 5.3.1 and connecting to the network shows the same loaded driver RT2500pci but i get a 13 Mb download speed.

So it's not a weak signal or so. Signal is strong, but it simply doesn't get the right speed...

Any ideas are welcome!

Thanks, Kees

CLAM01

#456 Post by CLAM01 »

Is there a way to put a cpu temperature monitoring applet in the tray with the stock slacko 5333 jwm?

Or, barring that, to put the temp sensor reading back in the menu> system>hardinfo window? It seems odd that in jwm the sensor data is completely gone. Switching to Icewm brings it back both places.

The need is for some kit having defective connection to acpi, so it's only able to step adjust running cpu cooling fans. Can't start them from stopped. If you can't monitor temp and manually start when the fans are stopped you have no fans until the cpu's thermal overload protection kicks them on full. That makes the fans howl, and that makes everyone around start making jokes about your torturing your puppy...

rodin.s

Homebank

#457 Post by rodin.s »

Some icons are not displayed in Homebank. I took Homebank binary from Racy and put it in /root/my-applications/bin/ to fix it.

rcrsn51

#458 Post by rcrsn51 »

CLAM01 wrote:Is there a way to put a cpu temperature monitoring applet in the tray with the stock slacko 5333 jwm?
Check out CPUtemp.

Volhout

bittorrent and seamonkey

#459 Post by Volhout »

I have 5.3.3 installed on a USB stick, and run it in a eeePC.

To download a torrent I do following (which works in Ubuntu).
- browse to a site like Piratebay and search for the material.
- copy the URL of the tracker file to Transmission

IF I do this with Seamonkey, I get a popup that the filetype is not supported. I can't save it either.
Maybe this is not the envisioned way of working in Slacko. ?? Or is everybody replacing Seamonkey with another browser ?

Did anybody try this before ?

Regards,

Volhout

Kerry Blue

#460 Post by Kerry Blue »

I just installed Slacko on a USB stick (for 1101HA EEEPC) and I'm glad to say that the menu keys work. The only thing till now that's a problem, is that the screen stays black after I close the lid of the EEEPC and it rewakes : no image, just black...

jrb

#461 Post by jrb »

Kerry Blue wrote:I just installed Slacko on a USB stick (for 1101HA EEEPC) and I'm glad to say that the menu keys work. The only thing till now that's a problem, is that the screen stays black after I close the lid of the EEEPC and it rewakes : no image, just black...
I had a similar problem with my Lenovo S10-2. Try using xorgwizard to setup your video and then copy /etc/X11/xorg.conf to the /etc/X11/Xsession.d folder. Apparently this will override the auto generated xorg.conf which kicks in when the computer loses contact with the monitor.

Good Luck, J

BHINTZ

#462 Post by BHINTZ »

I have had the same problem with a dell D630. When I resume I get a black screen, but when I hit the power button, screen appears and everything is fine. I tried your suggestion and no change. I was hopeful.

bob

jrb

#463 Post by jrb »

DOH! :oops:

It should have read:

Try using xorgwizard to setup your video and then copy /etc/X11/xorg.conf to the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d folder.

The previous suggestion was for Lucid528.

CLAM01

#464 Post by CLAM01 »

rcrsn51, Many thanks. Your cputemp applet works great! Provides good information, both cylinder head and exhaust gas temperatures, and rpms to boot! Now if I burn a valve or melt a piston it will be my own fault...

johnywhy

Jre download crash

#465 Post by johnywhy »

On asus eeepc:

From slickpet, downloaded jre.

Meanwhile using teamviewer on wine.

Suddenly, jre download crashed x window server to command line. Download was only half done.

On reboot, attempted download again. Got "jre already downloaded" alert from puppy.

So, five issues:
-crash
-slickpet failure to log, detect, delete, or re-do incomplete download
-How do I delete the broken download?
-Shouldn't puppy restart it from halfway point?
-puppy marketing team says "puppy never crashes", so this must be one in a million. (my saluki also crashed today, so maybe my computer is possessed by Microsoft marketing team).

Thanks

Jasper

#466 Post by Jasper »

johnywhy,

(1) From your comments elsewhere, it is more than likely your hardware is trashed. You might PM Sage requesting advice.

(2) Is your "teamviewer" rated a Wine silver (as opposed to platinum or gold)?

(3) If you really want help (as opposed to recording your sarcastic bitching) just ask 01micko and others pleasantly.

Eyes-Only

#467 Post by Eyes-Only »

One thing I'm very curious about JohnyWhy, after reading your plethora of reports in the forum here, it has me wondering whether or not you have ever done an md5sum check of any of the .iso files that you've downloaded?

Not asking sarcastically here - I'm really asking out of genuine curiosity because with all of these problems you've been experiencing across the board like this I'd be so much inclined to believe that you've somehow managed to get corrupted downloads. How each time? I'd love to know that myself! Corrosion of the copper in the ethernet connectors could be one possibility - I actually had this once! ( I have a special cleaning cloth for silver/gold rings which I used on the connectors and it worked a treat. )

If using wifi sometimes if the computer is placed between the broadcast unit and a microwave oven - this can actually cause enough disrruption of bytes for a bad md5sum on the .iso. ( One reason why I dislike wifi because of all the mitigating factors that can cause signal corruption and data loss. )

At any rate JohnyWhy, this is why it is always so very important to make sure to run an md5sum/checksum upon your .iso files and making sure the numbers agree before use.

I hope this has been of some small help.

Cheers/Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge d'Acadie"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

johnywhy

#468 Post by johnywhy »

Thanks for tips, I don't mean to bitch. Just getting frustrated with what seem like endless bugs.

I'm going to check my hardware with UBCD, and will verify my downloads. Will report back to this post.

However, the two possible issues you guys mention (bad hardware, bad downloads) may be the cause of the crash, I think they don't adress other issues I mentioned:

-slickpet failure to log, detect, delete, or re-do incomplete download.
-How do I delete the broken download?
-Shouldn't puppy restart it from halfway point?

Ie, crash recovery. But maybe crash recovery is not puppy's problem. I don't mean that sarcastically, maybe the puppy philosophy is that crashes are likely due to user error, and puppy is not trying to be THAT easy to use that it can recover from user error.

Thanks
Last edited by johnywhy on Wed 30 May 2012, 01:45, edited 1 time in total.

Jasper

#469 Post by Jasper »

johnywhy,

Use your backup - I remember your response on that subject. Do you?

I repeat, tell us about your teamviewer Wine rating.

With a 30 year background in the computer industry .................

johnywhy

#470 Post by johnywhy »

Jasper wrote:Use your backup
using a backup is helpful when the OS does not have crash-recovery. I think Puppy has some crash-recovery, but not enough to recover from this crash.

I do feel it's reasonable to want slickpet to log, detect, delete, continue, and/or re-do incomplete downloads. I feel using a backup in this case is a "workaround", but that's just me.

Please don't take that as a criticism of Slacko or its devs-- I assume they want to hear about crashes and suggestions.
Jasper wrote:tell us about your teamviewer Wine rating.
Version 7.0.x TeamViewer Silver on Wine 1.3.34
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... n&iId=5956

However, I was using TeamViewer "for Linux", which comes bundled with it's own Wine
http://www.webupd8.org/2012/01/teamview ... eased.html

which might mean:
a) TeamViewer and/or it's bundled wine are possibly tweaked by TeamViewer Inc. for improved compatibility with each other

b) This Teamviewer is possibly less likely to step on Puppy's installed Wine.
Jasper wrote: it is more than likely your hardware is trashed.
my understanding is that one of puppy's goals is to work with older computers/outdated hardware. Older computer are arguably more likely to have dysfunction. So, i think it would be consistent with Puppy's goals to catch hardware dysfunction without crashing the OS, IMHO.

thanks all for feedback, i appreciate it.

note, i was asked to make my links real links, but i have found that doing so causes the entire post to be hidden. i've seen that for many months on this forum. So, i just tried again and was surprised it worked ok this time.

And i never claimed to have 30 years in the computer industry. You misread.
Last edited by johnywhy on Wed 30 May 2012, 01:47, edited 3 times in total.