slacko 5.3.3, final

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
cowonjolt

camera fail

#541 Post by cowonjolt »

Need some pointers to get my camera configured. GTkam doesn't list my Fuji Finepix A-600 the list goes from A-320 to A-800 and above and none work, also tried the ptp usb one with no success. Similar results with Pupcamera. On other OS's I always used Digikam and it worked but I don't see it available anywhere for Slacko. I use camera alot in a side hobby so hope I can find a solution for Slacko. Thanks 8)

01micko

#542 Post by 01micko »

cowonjolt

digikam is available in the Slackware repos, you need to enable them in PPM configuration. However, it depends on many KDE libraries which are huge. I'll see if there is an update to libgphoto which supports your camera. Finepix are really good cameras in my opinion :)
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

cowonjolt

#543 Post by cowonjolt »

01micko, thanks for the reply. I took a quick look but was unable to find Digikam in the Slackware repos... I checked the official,salix,slacko, and the slacko official but did not find it. I assume it requires the glib2 packages plus others. Also looked at gphoto and gphoto2 but couldn't find anything for my camera but not sure I was looking in the right place for it. Look forward to hearing if you turn something up.
On another note I created an ext4 partition on a 8gig flash drive and installed woof in it but when I tried to run 0setup it errors out after a couple of downloads saying I need to change the superblock in the previous download or something like that so I was unable yet to pursue that route till I can figure out what I need to do to fix it. I'm not real clear on the woof and woof2 thing... how many different woofs are there anyway and how do you specify which one you want?. The 0setup started wanting to download what appeared to be some very old puppy stuff and that threw me a curve ball cause I'm not sure if that stuff is even in Slacko. The info I find to use of woof seems outdated but maybe I just don't understand it yet. Anyway thanks for any help you can provide. :?

cowonjolt

#544 Post by cowonjolt »

Found digikam in salix but attempts to install it lock up my system so I'm forced to use another os live that has it available for now. The other os is much slower and doesn't offer save files so have to reinstall, update, etc at every boot again. Very frustrating... :(

oldyeller

#545 Post by oldyeller »

Hello Everyone,

Does any know how to add text to the Welcome1tsboot window

Thanks for any help, have tried to edit the file but had no luck.

bigpup

#546 Post by bigpup »

01micko,

Any help for this persons problem?
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=79887
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Sylvander

#547 Post by Sylvander »

1. I've just downloaded...
slacko-5.3.3-highmem-PAE-SCSI.iso

2. If I burn the live CD and run it with access to the slackosave.3fs file for...
slacko-5.3.3.1-SCSI.iso
Will this cause a problem?
Or will it be able to update the slackosave file OK?

Sylvander

#548 Post by Sylvander »

Tried to do THIS with the ISO file, but it couldn't be mounted [as per part 1]. :(

I've done that OK with the ordinary ISO file [slacko-5.3.3.1-SCSI], and that worked OK, and is in use and doing the necessary. :D
Attachments
00.jpg
(13.12 KiB) Downloaded 1024 times

gerry

#549 Post by gerry »

SeaMonkey Out of Date-

Every time I start Seamonkey I get a warning message that says that Seamonkey is out of date and I should "click here" to update it. That does not work- so what should I do? I suppose one can (somehow) update Seamonkey, or PERMANENTLY get rid of the message.

But how?

gerry

#550 Post by gerry »

Double post- not my fault! Got some message about "could not find mail server codes" (or something like that).

bigpup

#551 Post by bigpup »

gerry wrote:SeaMonkey Out of Date-

Every time I start Seamonkey I get a warning message that says that Seamonkey is out of date and I should "click here" to update it. That does not work- so what should I do? I suppose one can (somehow) update Seamonkey, or PERMANENTLY get rid of the message.

But how?
Try using Seamonkey menu bar->help->check for updates.
Try menu bar->Edit->Preferences->Advanced->Software Installation.
Uncheck everything about Seamonkey updating. (any time you want to check for an update, the help->check for updates should work)
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

gerry

#552 Post by gerry »

Nope, none of that worked.

Edit> Preferences> Advanced> BLANK

and Help has no check for updates option.

Hmmm..

The message appears on a red bar under the menu bar, and has a "check for updates" button, nothing happens there either.

Do we have Seamonkey in full, or are bits cut out to make it lighter?

James C

#553 Post by James C »

I'm fairly certain that SeaMonkey in Slacko has been compiled to not update and that did save a bit on the size.

OscarTalks

#554 Post by OscarTalks »

Downloading, unpacking, renaming and substituting the seamonkey directory in /usr/lib has worked for me.
Oscar in England

gerry

#555 Post by gerry »

Oscar- there must be a simpler way!

I downloaded.

I unpacked (in /tmp).

Where does the renaming come in?

And do I have to go through /usr/lib/seamonkey/ and check each file against the unpacked one, and replace the old by the new one if they are different?

Phew! We need APT.

shinobar

Seamonkey-2.11-en-1.sfs

#556 Post by shinobar »

Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

gcmartin

Request for developers understanding users and SFSs, as well

#557 Post by gcmartin »

shinobar wrote:There is Seamonkey-2.11-en-1.sfs:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=78601
This is not a criticism nor does it intend to be a distraction.

I am very clear on the auguments of Pros and the Cons of SFS versus PET in Puppy Linux packaging, installation, and use.

I, personally, do NOT have any position in either direction; simply, that it just works.

But, this is an appeal for understanding by those who develop subsystems and packages for Puppy.. Please acknowledge the existence of Puppy Package Management and provide a PET as well as an SFS whereever possible for all community members. Some members do not have sufficient skill levels to understand SFS use in PUppy distros,

Hope this helps

OscarTalks

#558 Post by OscarTalks »

gerry wrote:Oscar- there must be a simpler way!

I downloaded.

I unpacked (in /tmp).

Where does the renaming come in?

And do I have to go through /usr/lib/seamonkey/ and check each file against the unpacked one, and replace the old by the new one if they are different?
What I have done is actually very simple. In fact the only renaming I did was as a precaution. I renamed (rather than deleting) the existing seamonkey directory in /usr/lib (which is the old version) to seemonkeyold in case there was any problem and I needed to restore back (which I didn't - it has worked OK on 2 machines running Slacko 5.3.3 so I have now deleted).

The downloaded tarball unpacks as a single directory named seamonkey (so does not need renaming). This can be done anywhere. After the rename just move the new directory into /usr/lib so it replaces the renamed one. No need to do anything with the files inside it.

I guess you could say all you need to do is download (to /mnt/home or /root), delete (seamonkey folder from /usr/lib), unpack (to /usr/lib).

You will find that features such as automatic and manual updates and the crash reporter are now included. Profile information such as bookmarks and settings are not lost because they are stored elsewhere.
Oscar in England

gerry

#559 Post by gerry »

Wow! that was easy enough. Thanks-

EDIT: I mean the OscarTalks method. I assume, if updater works now, it will be up-to-date for ever?

Gerry

rjbrewer

#560 Post by rjbrewer »

gerry wrote:Nope, none of that worked.

Edit> Preferences> Advanced> BLANK

and Help has no check for updates option.

Hmmm..

The message appears on a red bar under the menu bar, and has a "check for updates" button, nothing happens there either.

Do we have Seamonkey in full, or are bits cut out to make it lighter?
(edit>preferences>advanced)
You need to click the little triangle to the left
of the word advanced.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs