slacko 5.3.3, final

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
01micko

#616 Post by 01micko »

oldyeller wrote:Will the repo's for slacko-533 be no good since slackware has gone to 14?

Or will they still be maintained?
My intention is to maintain 5.3.3 (or less) compatibility.. but it isn't so easy. Working on a solution.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

oldyeller

#617 Post by oldyeller »

01micko wrote:
oldyeller wrote:Will the repo's for slacko-533 be no good since slackware has gone to 14?

Or will they still be maintained?
My intention is to maintain 5.3.3 (or less) compatibility.. but it isn't so easy. Working on a solution.
I am not at all worried about this. You do an awesome job with slacko to begin with. It would be understanding if it was not possible to do so. You do after all have a life outside of puppy. We all can wait until the next one is finished.

I like the fact that you can install to hdd from usb stick :D :D

Thanks for slacko 533 and the next version that is coming!!

Cheers

cowboy

transmission trouble

#618 Post by cowboy »

01micko,

Evening. Running new install Slacko 5.3.1 from savefile, and trying to update Transmission to new version in repos. Using PPM, 2.5.1 version fails to download. (There are two 2.5.1 versions listed for Transmission on Ibiblio) Downloaded .pet direct from ibiblio, ran it, and it will not start from menu. Removed it, downloaded 2.6 Transmission direct, ran the .pet, and it will not start from menu choice either. Any suggestions? Is this just an issue with 5.3.1? Tried fix menus, and flipped between JWM and IceWM without joy.
[i]"you fix what you can fix and you let the rest go.."[/i] - Cormac McCarthy - No Country For Old Men.

01micko

#619 Post by 01micko »

cowboy

This one should work:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... i486-s.pet

You will need libevent from slackware, which will download from PPM (do a search though in the PPM search box)

If it doesn't start run transmission-gtk from terminal for clues.

cowboy

transmission and slacko

#620 Post by cowboy »

01micko,

Thanks so much. The libevent dependency from slacky did the trick. Just a note however: the link you gave me is to the first version of 2.5.1 listed at ibiblio, and will not download and install into 5.3.1. I notice that the file size given is a perfect 1000K, which seems odd. However, the second 2.5.1 listed would download and work (after installing libevent). That version has a slightly different name, and is here: (might need to update PPM to point there instead?) Thanks again!

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... 6-supx.pet

Edited to correct link above.
[i]"you fix what you can fix and you let the rest go.."[/i] - Cormac McCarthy - No Country For Old Men.

James C

#621 Post by James C »

My personal little spin on Slacko 533 on my old slow P3 test box.Working fine with no real problems.

# report-video
intel
Slacko Puppy, version 5.3.3 on Fri 26 Oct 2012

Chip description:
1.0 VGA compatible controller
Intel Corporation 82810E DC-133 (CGC) Chipset Graphics Controller (rev 03)
oem: Intel810(TM) Graphics Chip Accelerated VGA BIOS

X Server: Xorg
Driver used: intel

X.Org version: 1.9.5
dimensions: 1024x768 pixels (321x241 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/root/ as report-video,
and archived with xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log as report-video-full.gz

-Computer-
Processor : Pentium III (Coppermine)
Memory : 254MB (124MB used)
Operating System : Unknown distribution
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Fri 26 Oct 2012 03:21:30 PM CDT
-Display-
Resolution : 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Unknown
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : ICH - Intel 82801AA-ICH

-Version-
Kernel : Linux 2.6.37.6 (i686)
Compiled : #1 SMP Sun Jul 10 08:27:28 EST 2011
C Library : GNU C Library version 2.13 (stable)
Default C Compiler : Unknown
Distribution : Unknown distribution

Code: Select all

# free
             total         used         free       shared      buffers
Mem:        254128       247548         6580            0        33300
-/+ buffers:             214248        39880
Swap:      1020092          220      1019872
# 

sonicpuppy

#622 Post by sonicpuppy »

Hi there

I had three repositories display in PPM, and browsing through the threads I found some patch that was supposed to fix it. Well I just dumbely installed the patch (stupid me) and now I have no PPM.

And now, the big question: how do I reinstall PPM ? Where's the .pet ?

kevin bowers

Java for Slacko 533?

#623 Post by kevin bowers »

Running Slacko 533-PAE, I attempted to install Java .rpm with unrpm. Unrpm returned "xxxx blocks" as if it worked, but afterward I could find no evidence of it, and certainly Java is not working. Their site suggested creating some symlinks (using ln) but the folders they want to link to don't exist. Any suggestions? The lady of the house needs it for one of her educational sites.

Edit: OK, so I'm a dolt. In case some other dolt finds this shameful thing, there are a couple of different versions of JRE in the standard repositories even if it isn't in PPM, both in SFS and .pet format.
http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/di ... es-slacko/

Volhout

os-x

#624 Post by Volhout »

01micko,

Is it possible to create a PET for Slacko 5.3.3. so it supports HFS+ and HFSX file systems from MAC OS-X. Or do you need to compile a new kernel?

Question rose because my wife bought a MAC book....... and the USB stick she gave me with files was "empty" in Puppy. It only showed free space.

Regards,

Volhout

01micko

#625 Post by 01micko »

Volhout,

Slacko-533 does not support HFS at the kernel level. However, PHATSlacko-5.5.00 does, and it has hfsutils so gparted should recognise HFS and HFS+ partitions, This is untested as the macbook I have is out of service at the moment.

Puppy though, does not support HFS so you would have to mount the stick manually,

Something like:

Code: Select all

mkdir /mnt/macstick #makes a mountpoint
mount -t hfs /dev/sdXX /mnt/macstick -o rw
.. might do it, As said, untested. (replace sdXX with sdb1, or whatever the stick turns out to be.. check with fdisk -l in a terminal)

Volhout

HFS

#626 Post by Volhout »

Thanks,

I will take a look at PhatSlacko 5.5.00.

I don't need to check fdisk if it is sdb1 or sdc1 since it already pops up as a drive on the desktop in 5.3.3. Assume the same will happen in PhatSlacko. Good opportunity to check it out. I have used FATSlacko quite a bit, but quite recently reverted back to 5.3.3. and "SFS-on-the-fly" load the packages that I incidentally need.

Maybe that is an experience developers could use to their benefit.

There are basically 2 ways of using Puppy: full install (as I have with my 528-005 lucid on the desktop PC's) and frugal. Frugal installs typically are on removable media with slower busses. And puppy is famous for use on older PC's with slower CPU's. This needs carefull balancing to end up with a usable system.

example: I tried Slacko 533 and THINSlacko (wich significantly smaller). But due to the different compression, Slacko boots faster THINSlacko. So I use Slacko. Then I tried FATSlacko (great package btw!). But it boots (size significantly larger) much slower from my SD card.
Since the extra packages are not used frequently, for me, it works better to use the basic Slacko, and SFS on the fly (and remove them afterward) the Libreoffice -or- whatever other package.

Maybe the "adrive" technology will help in that perspective. I haven't tried Carolina or any of the later Saluki's yet.

For me it is best to have a fast booting USD/SD card frugal install, since I do not hybernate my netbook / laptop. I allways switch off.

Regards,

Volhout

P.S. Reason I am not running 5.4 is that it would not auto connect my wireless on the netbook. I allways had to reconnect manually.
P.P.S Reason I am not running Slacko on the desktop is that it needs the older kernel lucid has, since newr kernels do not support his chipset.

Pelo

Wex, tested on Slacko 5.3.3 Chess successfully

#627 Post by Pelo »

Ally had this Patriot 5.3.3 in the attic. I was searching the french version Chess by Jejy69 and i downloaded this one, which is very enjoying. They are a lot of Slacko 5.3.3 versions.
Wex, tested on Slacko 5.3.3 Chess successfully
Screencast tool, portable, just created 2016
Last edited by Pelo on Sat 08 Oct 2016, 10:50, edited 1 time in total.

Pelo

wifi-connect-31

#628 Post by Pelo »

Wireless Frisbee : i had to restart frisbee every minute. It was boring a little bit. Searcing for a new version, i saw this tool, which a really better to stay connected wifi-connect-31.files
internet connection tool:eduroam, wpa2, open networks, usb tether. Clic the topic :!:
"Wifi-Connect started out as a simple script to connect my laptop to a wifi access point" Stemsee, Thank you, it works well, Old Slacko with new wireless tools are efficient.
Internet connection and Ram usage are essential for old computers to get nice results, even for videos.
Puppy Linux Slacko 5.3.3 LXDE by EnglishBob. YouTUBer
Attachments
WifiConnect.jpg
Wifi-connect in the 5.3.3 XFCE menu
(69.9 KiB) Downloaded 331 times