Puppi Raspberry Pi Hardware

News, happenings
Sage

#76 Post by Sage »

Apart from some early Sagem units which were incapable of working within the new bands, most of the defunct ones coming my way failed due to PSU faults - one even caught fire! Not a useful omen for RPi mods.
As for reprogramming, most folks struggle to understand how to do it once, much less net-connect and use their SmartTVs...

antiloquax

#77 Post by antiloquax »

Raspberry Pi mentioned the RacyPy puplet on their Facebook page. I had 504 hits yesterday. I've also set up a fb page for
RacyPy.
My System:Arch-Arm on RPi!
"[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76049l]RacyPy[/url]" puplet on Toshiba Tecra 8200. PIII, 256 MB RAM.
[url=http://raspberrypy.tumblr.com/]RaspberryPy[/url]: Lobster and I blog about the RPi.

don570

Scosche Dual USB AC charger for $12.99

#78 Post by don570 »

If you live in Canada and if you're looking for a power supply
I would suggest a FactoryDirect store. (factorydirect.ca)

I bought a Scosche Dual USB AC charger for $12.99 plus tax.
The cables have to bought extra ($4). It's rated at 1A per port
which should be enough to power the raspberry pi.

I found a picture of the newer model which is designed for the ipad
and has a higher power rating (over 2 A needed for the ipad).
It will be quite a bit more expensive.($30)

http://www.scosche.com/consumer-tech/product/1922

Aitch

#79 Post by Aitch »

It seems the power supply is pretty basic at preventing overvoltage from inputs

http://www.raspberrypi.org/wp-content/u ... 12/psu.png

Many 5v plug type PSUs with outputs of 1 or 2 amps are readily available/cheap [less than £5/about $7/8 on ebay/China],

http://tinyurl.com/7duzsms

....but some give out as much as 10 volts!

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forum/genera ... ly-warning

A suitable variable o/p voltage and current limit device/board is available on ebay as LM2596 LM2596S DC Power Supply Module Constant Current IN 4V-35V OUT 1.25V-30V
[from China] for less than £4

http://tinyurl.com/7m5547x

which should give users added safety for their projects

[These boards also make very useful NiCd/NiMh battery chargers/led power supplies, or with an added usb port, can be useful booster usb power sources for all manner of usb devices, including hard drives which sometimes fail to boot due to poor usb leads unable to supply sufficient current/voltage from PC ports]

A digital voltmeter in your toolkit is useful for setting them up...usual safety cautions apply :wink:

Aitch :)

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#80 Post by Lobster »

Freedom for raspberrians! :wink:
Chargers for mobile phones are often 5v. Those with a mini USB are the ones recommended, Relatives, friends, colleagues may have and not be using . . .
USB keyboard, mouse? SD card? HDMI cable? Have you put the Debian or other image on SD? Quite a lot of preparation. Pre-order in? :)

We are not going straight to tablet, it is still a volatile market.
In a years time, Samsung and other clones will be commodity and generic items.
At that time again we may well ask for a hardware commitment. Buy the Kindle, OLPC tablet, Chinese tablet, Asus generic clone - whatever emerges as affordable and mainstream . . .

Puppy will not be designed for your out of date closed off BSD Ipaid. Marketing dictating your behaviour? Your machine in their Icloud. Sound Igood? Ithink Inot.

No longer believing the lies of MS huckster Steve Balmer at all?

Our hardware.
Our Choice.

Our Puppy
Doing Linux Good!
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

kooliepup

#81 Post by kooliepup »

Doing Linux Good!
And doing GOOD Linux.

I reckon.
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

sickgut

#82 Post by sickgut »

re: power supplies

be careful when selecting your power adaptor/ supply whatever you call it. There are regulated and unregulated, both are very cheap but regulation is important, the difference between regulated and unregulated power adaptors is:

regulated: if rated for 9 volt it will supply 9 volt no matter what loading, no matter what is connected and what its powering.

unregulated: if rated for 9 volt, will supply maybe 12 volt to device that doesnt draw much current (amps) yet if under load the voltage will drop to maybe 7 or 6.5 volt.

You sure as hell dont want to buy a unregulated power supply that is quite a bit more powerful than the device you want to power as it can result in an overload of voltage, and then again if you match the unregulated power supply to a device perfectly (eg. 9 volt @ 1 amp supply and the device also draws this) then the resulting load would cause the unregulated supply to give out less voltage than its rated for.

in short, pay the extra for a regulated power supply, as you dont know exactly how an unregulated power supply will behave until you try it.

regulated supplies the same voltage no matter what current (amps) are drawn.

unregulated supplies supply more voltage when little current is drawn (amps) and less voltage when more current is drawn

Aitch

#83 Post by Aitch »

Yep
That was the point I made earlier
The variable o/p constant current board listed by me, is such a regulated circuit, and you can set both o/p volts and set the current to limit at just over the maximum required for any usage
This enables almost any source with sufficient voltage and current to be 'tamed' for safe use, with the Pi, or any other device within quoted adjustment range

Aitch :)

linuxbear

#84 Post by linuxbear »

I try to avoid any gadget that I can't plug into USB to charge. Everything I have right now can be charged from a computer, a USB wall-wart or the little tin box I made which has 8 rechargeable batteries and a voltage regulator coupled to a USB cable.

kooliepup

#85 Post by kooliepup »

Power supply & HDD for RPi.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

sickgut

#86 Post by sickgut »

after watching a few videos on youtube about the raspberry pi, i would like to bring attention to the quake 3 demo they play as an example

it seems the video hardware is really quite good, while the actual processing power of the ARM cpu itself sucks.

They run the quake 3 demo at the highest quality and it runs fine mostly but with moments of slowdown but im sure this is not to do with the video capabilities but a CPU bottleneck. Its the bots they are running that is taking the toll on the cpu, im sure that if there was only one or 2 bots instead of 5 or so then it would all run fine.

I used to play open arena quite alot on an EeePC, and while that is way more powerful in CPU power, there is a definate effect of similar kind of slowdown when there are too many bots. Even with a 900mhz cpu, the eeepc cant run more than 12 or so bots without it slowing down. You can tell cpu slowdown apart from video slowdown when there is more bots displayed on screen and more happening then it slows down, this is cpu slowdown.... if it was more even with the slowdown, jerky most the way through it then its video slowdown. (Open arena uses the same quake 3 engine... as do many games from early 2000's)

i have no proof or statistics, this is just from experience. This was noticed early on in the world of 3d gaming, with identical video hardware the lower spec cpu system performs identical to a higher spec cpu system in the same game, the video is just as fluid... until... a few bots or more things happen on screen at once, then the lower spec cpu system will bog down, while the higher spec system will chug through it with very little difference.

what im saying here is that the video gpu probably outpaces the cpu quite a bit, and the quake 3 demo they played would have been alot smoother had they reduced the number of bots.

There is something interesting about this in relation to online multiplayer gaming. It takes alot more CPU power to run computer AI bots than process a human controlled character who joins the game over a network. You would probably find that the raspberry pi could handle online multiplayer quake 3 type games quite well if there are no computer controlled AI bots. So in a real life situation when playing online, you could expect performance to be much better. Altho reducing the video detail and resolution would also help.

i was quite surprized when i watch this demo online. I have painted a grim view of ARM based devices with my posts but these experiences while completely truthful where on ARM devices with no 3d video capabilities. All the OS stuff was extreemely slow and this may be so with the raspberry to some degree but as far as video/ multimedia things go the raspberry looks quite sweet. Im sure games like assaultcube (uses less video and cpu and network resources than quake 3 ) could be compiled for it and would run fine. But i still kinda fear that other general usage that isnt multimedia would still suck

antiloquax

#87 Post by antiloquax »

I have been watching Eben's webinar. He uses Python 2.x and JOE as the text editor.
I have never used Joe before, but I've just installed it to have a play.
"[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76049l]RacyPy[/url]" puplet on Toshiba Tecra 8200. PIII, 256 MB RAM.
[url=http://raspberrypy.tumblr.com/]RaspberryPy[/url]: Lobster and I blog about the RPi.

greengeek

#88 Post by greengeek »

Lobster wrote: Guys I have two potential 5v chargers
one is 5v 400mA
and the other is 5v 1A
reading Barry's blog, I should use and be safe with the IA (1000mA)?
http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02736
Would a charger be ok for the Pi? Don't they switch off the 5v output unless the battery being charged needs the power?

I imagine a usb power supply is fine, but some cellphone style usb chargers would not work?

Dave_G

#89 Post by Dave_G »

Some cellphone chargers will work provided they give 5V output
however always read the ratings on the actual unit as many of
the Nokia ones are only rated to 350mA and the Blackberry ones to 400mA.

This is not enough since the RPI takes around 400mA average and possibly
600mA peaks, plus one would have to add some safety margin so a 1000mA (1A)
supply is probably the minimum that should be used.

The iPhone/iPad type supplies/chargers have a higher current output but
since Apple uses a very strange resistor network type sensing network
on their supplies, it could well turn out that the supply will not turn on
until connected to a iPhone/iPad unit.

I know for sure that the iPhones/iPads have these resistors built in but I'm not too sure
about the actual supplies/chargers.

Also be very wary of the "el cheapo" $5 to $9 type wall wart type supply as they
are generally pretty crummy, unregulated and unsafe.

Another option is to rip out the supply modules from old printers/fax machines
and the like as they have pretty good compact supplies which give out
5V (amongst others).

If you can't or don't want to go around dismantling bits of old equipment,
then buy a supply that looks like the ones for laptops but make 100% sure that it's the 5V type
and NOT the "normal" 19V laptop type supply.
These are very good, well regulated and give out around 2.5 to 3 amps
however they are not cheap, going for around $20.
Don't skimp on the power supply, to use an analogy, the supply is like
the foundations of a building, take short cuts here and you will be left
with the leaning tower of Pisa (or worse).

I repeat the warning, make 100% sure that the supply is a 5V type.

If you connect a higher voltage supply to your Raspberry Pi, you will have
a Roasted Pi.

Pence

#90 Post by Pence »

You want micro usb not mini usb.
Last edited by Pence on Sun 15 Apr 2012, 12:09, edited 2 times in total.

Dave_G

#91 Post by Dave_G »

Hi Pence

Micro USB is the correct one.
Adaptors are readily available to convert between them.

If you can get a Blackberry charger for a $1 which gives out 700mA
then you are in business.
Just make sure they aren't the knock-off ones.
I have come across some cheap Nokia imitations before and the specs written
on the unit is no where near what the unit can actually deliver for extended
periods of time.

greengeek

#92 Post by greengeek »

Dave_G wrote: I repeat the warning, make 100% sure that the supply is a 5V type.
If you connect a higher voltage supply to your Raspberry Pi, you will have
a Roasted Pi.
Don't burn the Pi !

:-)

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#93 Post by Lobster »

Guys the raspberrians are teasing me again :?
Dear Ed,

We at the Raspberry Pi Foundation would like to send you one of the very
first boards to come off the production line. If you can give me your postal
address, I will send one to you in the next couple of weeks.

Many thanks,

-Myra VanInwegen, Education Coordinator, Raspberry Pi Foundation
Dear Myra

Lobster checks date
Not April 1
Lobster faints
Lobster provides address

Ed Jason
Address redacted

Bless you and all at Raspberry HQ
There is a Cod
Salty tears ensue . . .

Crusty S Lobster (aka Ed Jason)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

antiloquax

#94 Post by antiloquax »

Very exciting. How near to having Puppy on Arm are we? I can't be doing with these bloated Debian / Arch distros ;)

By the way, have you any tips on getting the Debian image to run on qemu on Puppy? I have managed to get as far as logging in, but couldn't get "startx" to work. I have had to resort to Windoze to have a play with the RPi OS :oops:

Also, I still haven't got the pup rec thing to work. I may have to do a frugal install of Slacko - so I can make a video.

mark

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#95 Post by Lobster »

Qemu have not used in years - can not advise. :cry:
How near to having Puppy on Arm are we?
There are a lot of ways of going about this. 8)
If an experienced Puppy developer compiles in a virtual ARM environment, I would prefer to download and use that ISO.
Failing that taking an existing ISO (probably Debian) and modifying to make the size smaller and the applications Puppy like, will be a good pre-alpha - somewhere to work from.
Other options are woof2 and Iguleders methodology.
Barry I am hoping is also gearing up (after the release of Wary/Racy 5.3)
for an ARM release.
Have written to Myra at Rpi to confirm Barry is getting an early board.

The absolute beauty of us all using the same hardware is 'just works' reliability. :)

http://www.nutrition-and-you.com/raspberry.html
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)