Broadcom-STA "wl" wifi drivers

bigpup

#106 Post by bigpup »

The latest Broadcom STA wl.ko driver for 64 bit systems - compiled for Slacko64 k3.13.1....
Does that include driver for USB wireless devices?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

dsj

broadcom 43142 / 4365 wlan Lenovo B490 Laptop Puppy Precise

#107 Post by dsj »

Finally I have managed to get the broadcom wireless working in Puppy Precise 5.7.1

Read the complete article at

http://www.broadcom.com/docs/linux_sta/README.txt

This is what I did

Fresh Install of Puppy Precise 5.7.1 in USB Stick & created save file while rebooting.

Reboot

Install the provided broadcom pet

http://e-nautia.com/peebee/disk/share/b ... recise.pet

Reboot

In a Terminal issued the following commands

rmmod bcma

modprobe cfg80211

modprobe lib80211

modprobe wl

Simple Network Setup was able to detect my connection & I configured it & presently posting from my connected laptop.

On reboot loaded these modules via Boot Manager for automatic loading of modules & automatic wireless connection.

Thanks a lot Peebee. Sorry for the delayed post as I was away for 4 days. (':D')
Last edited by dsj on Mon 17 Feb 2014, 22:58, edited 5 times in total.

peebee

Re: broadcom 43142 / 4365 wlan Lenoveo B490 Laptop

#108 Post by peebee »

dsj wrote:Finally I have managed to get the broadcom wireless working in Puppy Precise 5.7.1
Hi #dsj - that's really good news - shows that the basic driver is working - just needs the detection and configuration logic to configure things correctly for your device - hopefully this will follow in the not too distant future....
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

bigpup

#109 Post by bigpup »

Slacko64 5.8.8
Live CD first boot.
New Netgear WNA3100 USB wireless adapter
Broadcom BCM43231

peebee,

I tried you suggestions, but still does not work.

It seems there is nothing in Linux for this device.
Did a Google search and everyone is having to use ndiswrapper and the Windows driver.

The problem is I can not get ndiswrapper to work in Slacko64 5.8.8

I posted about this in the Slacko64 topic.

I even went to Slackware64 14.0 salix repository and installed the ndiswrapper that was there.
It tried to work, but not completely.
I think it was the wrong kernel version.
Not sure if that matters?
YaPI(any iso installer)

peebee

#110 Post by peebee »

bigpup wrote:Slacko64 5.8.8
Live CD first boot.
New Netgear WNA3100 USB wireless adapter
Broadcom BCM43231

peebee,

I tried you suggestions, but still does not work.
Hi bigpup

If you want to post or pm me the outputs from pdiag then I'll have a look to see if I can determine the problem.

Can you do 2 - the first after a clean boot of just Slacko64, the second after installation of the pet and depmod -a and a reboot.

Thanks
peebee
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

bigpup

#111 Post by bigpup »

peebee,

I have been working on my problem in the Slacko64 topic.
Making some progress with the help of 01micko.
Seems to be no Linux drivers for this Netgear WNA3100 USB wireless adapter
Broadcom BCM43231.
Trying to use ndiswrapper and Windows driver.
ndiswrapper having problems, because Slacko64 is 64 Bit.

I am going in circles for now.

If you happen to determine a Linux driver, that is known to work for this hardware, that would probably solve the issue. So far, I have not found one.

Thank you very much for your support with wireless hardware.!!!
YaPI(any iso installer)

01micko

#112 Post by 01micko »

Bad news bigpup.
http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/brcm80211#Broadcom_brcmfmac_driver wrote:BCM43231 and BCM43236 (rev <= 2) have another architecture and can't be easily supported by brcmfmac. They have less memory on the chip and can't run full MAC firmware, so they require implementing some extra code in the Linux driver. On the other hand they are not standard soft MAC devices, so they can't be supported by brcmsmac or b43.
http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Dri ... mac_driver

If ndiswrapper doesn't work sell that thing on ebay or craiglist or whatever and do some research on something that is supported and purchase that. I avoid broadcom at any possibility.

EDIT:
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/ndiswrapper/index.php?title=Netgear_WNA3100 wrote:If you install cd that comes with the adapter on Windows 64 bit machine, files of the driver is installed to C:\Program Files (x86)\NETGEAR\driver\WIN764 and its name is bcmwlhigh6.
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/n ... ar_WNA3100

Last hope?

Download: http://01micko.com/packages/bcmwlhigh6.zip
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

bigpup

#113 Post by bigpup »

01micko,

Thanks for the info and your research.

I already knew about a lot of it.
The Windows driver you posted is the one I have been trying to use.

Seems the issue is ndiswrapper working in 64 bit Linux.

Example:
However, you use it under ndiswrapper on 64 bit Ubuntu, you will get a lot of uninitialized variables.
If ndiswrapper doesn't work sell that thing on ebay or craiglist or whatever and do some research on something that is supported and purchase that. I avoid broadcom at any possibility.
It works fine if you use ndiswrapper in a 32 bit Linux.

I agree, this USB adapter is not very good for Linux.

Thanks to all for trying to help!!!
YaPI(any iso installer)

ozsouth

Broadcom 6.30.223.248

#114 Post by ozsouth »

I managed to compile this for slacko 5.7.0. Is 6.2 mb, so I can't post it here. Runs my BCM43142 (14e4:4365) much faster than the default slacko wl driver. Signal strength is near 90% as against 30% for default. Shows as an eth not a wlan & lib80211_crypt_tkip has to be loaded manually.

peebee

Re: Broadcom 6.30.223.248

#115 Post by peebee »

ozsouth wrote:I managed to compile this for slacko 5.7.0. Is 6.2 mb, so I can't post it here. Runs my BCM43142 (14e4:4365) much faster than the default slacko wl driver. Signal strength is near 90% as against 30% for default. Shows as an eth not a wlan & lib80211_crypt_tkip has to be loaded manually.
Many thanks for alerting me to this new version - I'll try to compile it and then edit this post to report progress.

[later1] have compiled on both Slacko5.9.3 k3.4.94 and Tahrpup5.8.3 k3.14.11 and it seems to compile and install / load fine on my HP550 laptop with wpa encyption - I had no problems with lib80211_crypt_tkip - which encryption are you using? both sns and frisbee used.

2 small patches to wl_linux.c to change eth% to wlan% and to define module licence - diff attached
[/later1]

[later2]pet size is 2.6mb compared with 1.6mb for 223.141 version....
[/later2]

Cheers
peebee
Attachments
Broadcom-Sources-6.30.223.248.diff.gz
remove false .gz or open as text
(684 Bytes) Downloaded 440 times
Last edited by peebee on Wed 16 Jul 2014, 19:29, edited 1 time in total.

ozsouth

#116 Post by ozsouth »

Peebee - I used slacko 5.7.0 (k 3.10.32) & wpa & wpa2 & each of the 3 connect progs - must be my ham-fisted attempt to compile (I just followed the text file enclosed with the hybrid-wl driver). My resultant driver (6.2 mb) is obviously dodgy, even though it (eventually) works. I'm not as bright as my Gloucestershire grandmother was. Would be great if you could post a pet for slacko 5.7.0.

peebee

Version 6.30.223.248 pets for Slacko

#117 Post by peebee »

ozsouth wrote:Would be great if you could post a pet for slacko 5.7.0.
I've created pets (2.6mb) for the 6.30.223.248 drivers for both Slacko5.7 and 5.7.0 and uploaded them to:

https://app.box.com/s/d3dv96z5gvj61n9zumh1

remember to reboot after installation....
Last edited by peebee on Thu 17 Jul 2014, 05:52, edited 1 time in total.

ozsouth

#118 Post by ozsouth »

Thanks Peebee, much appreciated.

ozsouth

#119 Post by ozsouth »

withdrawn

bobc

I have a Broadcomm 4311 rev 01 wifi card and SlackoPup 5.7.0

#120 Post by bobc »

My wifi works when running live, but after I install to hard disk its hopeless. I went rooting around looking for a cause and found a files called messages, and it has what looks like a couple errors:

wl: module liscense 'MIXED/Proprietary' taints kernel

wl driver 6.30.223.141 (r415941) failed with code 21

kernel BUG at include/net cfg80211.h:2930!

Searching the wl driver failed error has led me to this thread. It looks like if I guess the correct file and download it, copy it to that machine and install it, I might be able to get it working?

I can eliminate the 2 _64 files, I think, but how do I know which of the others to get?

Assuming I can figure out how to install it, do I need to do any modprobe or create any blacklist files or get rid of the wl.conf in /etc/modprobe.d which references both the failing wl and the b43 that was loaded when running live that i have been trying to load?

I asked about this in the beginner thread, but will delete that post since nobody has answered anyway, if I get a reply here. This seems like an old thread, but seems appropriate,, so that's why this post here...

Thanks for any help..

PS: I noticed 3.10.32 in the text of that messages file, so I downloaded that file, installed it and rebooted, but still have no wifi, and no b43 in lsmod
Last edited by bobc on Sun 11 Jan 2015, 22:38, edited 1 time in total.

peebee

Re: I have a Broadcomm 4311 rev 01 wifi card and SlackoPup 5.7.0

#121 Post by peebee »

bobc wrote:My wifi works when running live, but after I install to hard disk its hopeless. I went rooting around looking for a cause and found a files called messages, and it has what looks like a couple errors:

wl: module liscense 'MIXED/Proprietary' taints kernel

wl driver 6.30.223.141 (r415941) failed with code 21

kernel BUG at include/net cfg80211.h:2930!

Searching the wl driver failed error has led me to this thread. It looks like if I guess the correct file and download it, copy it to that machine and install it, I might be able to get it working?

I can eliminate the 2 _64 files, I think, but how do I know which of the others to get?

Assuming I can figure out how to install it, do I need to do any modprobe or create any blacklist files or get rid of the wl.conf in /etc/modprobe.d which references both the failing wl and the b43 that was loaded when running live that i have been trying to load?

I asked about this in the beginner thread, but will delete that post since nobody has answered anyway, if I get a reply here. This seems like an old thread, but seems appropriate,, so that's why this post here...

Thanks for any help..
Hi

Can't think why the driver would work live and not in a full install - unless your live install was without a save file, when the wl driver was probably not being used - it usually needs a reboot and a savefile to start properly.

The 4311 is quite an old Broadcom device so I'm guessing this is an old laptop? Is it built-in or on a pcmcia card?

Everything for wl is already included in Slacko 5.7.0 so there is no need to load anything extra.

What I actually suggest you do is blacklist the wl driver and reboot to see if the b43 driver claims your wifi. b43 should support the 4311 but it would be useful to use the link in post #1 to determine your full pci-id to confirm which 4311 variant you have.

Hope this helps
Cheers
peebee

bobc

#122 Post by bobc »

Yes, its an old laptop with built-in wifi. It does have a pc-mcia slot, but its empty.

lspci -nn
Network controller [0280]: Broadcomm Corporation BCM4311 802.11a/b/g [14e4:4312] (rev 01)

There is already a wl.conf file in /etc/modprobe.d and my guess is it is blacklisting the b43 and loading wl. I will comment that out and replace with blacklist wl

Thanks for the reply...

I had already installed your pet at that point, but anyway, blacklisting wl has fixed it and it works as well as it did live, now.

Thanks much... I'll delete the post in the other thread if I can...

maverick

#123 Post by maverick »

peebee
if its not too much to ask can you please update the driver for slacko newer kernel.
Thank you.

peebee

#124 Post by peebee »

maverick wrote:peebee
if its not too much to ask can you please update the driver for slacko newer kernel.
Thank you.
Hello

Which slacko? Which kernel?

I may have already built the driver - it may already be in LxPup.....

Cheers
peebee

maverick

#125 Post by maverick »

peebee wrote:
maverick wrote:peebee
Thank you.
Hello

Which slacko? Which kernel?

I may have already built the driver - it may already be in LxPup.....

Cheers
peebee
WOW, that was fast. :mrgreen: Thank you peebee
I was referring to this one
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pu ... -6.3.0.htm

but would appreciated very much if you please create a fix for kernel 6.14.55 too.

Thank you again for taking the time to reply.