Broadcom-STA "wl" wifi drivers

jayjays

#61 Post by jayjays »

Thanks, PeeBee. My Japanese pal on another BBS showed the link of pet file and it has fixed the problem.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 43c14c88bf

Thanks for your concerning and help. Much appreciated.

Cheers

jayjays

peebee

#62 Post by peebee »

jayjays wrote:Thanks, PeeBee. My Japanese pal on another BBS showed the link of pet file and it has fixed the problem.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 43c14c88bf

Thanks for your concerning and help. Much appreciated.

Cheers

jayjays
That is the older 5.6.48.36 version of the driver - pleased to hear it worked for you.
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Pelo

Lucid 528-005 driver wifi Wl

#63 Post by Pelo »

Failure on Lucid 528-005. On the recent distros the driver wl works well for the public wifi.
However thanks to you helping us to improve Lucid 528, which is moreover a nice distro.
Sure i can work with eth0. But i have a laptop Medion P7624. I'd like to do not have a chain in the leg at home. The electric cable is fixed yonder on my chandelier so that I am not caught the feet inside.
It's not a disaster...
Bonne journée.

redandwhitestripes

#64 Post by redandwhitestripes »

OK this seems as good a place as any to ask for help.

My broadcom driver is :

10:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g (rev 01

2.6.33.2 SMP mod_unload modversions 486

I'm using lupu_525 on a full hard disk install.
Have been doing so for a while with no problems, when I set it up I installed the broadcom-5.10.27.14-k2.6.25.16.pet as I did with all previous puppies and all was fine.

Today I tried running precise 5.5 on a live CD and the weird thing is that it
sees my neighbours' wi-fi networks but not my own! No clue atall.
Some neighbours are using WPA2, just like me.

When I go back to my full install, everything is fine again.

Can anyone suggest why this might be and what I need to install/uninstall?

EDIT: I scanned this thread and installed the closest pet I could find (Precise 5.2 version) but I get an error message "incorrect kernel for this data".
Last edited by redandwhitestripes on Wed 05 Jun 2013, 13:13, edited 1 time in total.

peebee

#65 Post by peebee »

redandwhitestripes wrote:OK this seems as good a place as any to ask for help.

My broadcom driver is :

10:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g (rev 01

2.6.33.2 SMP mod_unload modversions 486

I'm using lupu_525 on a full hard disk install.
Have been doing so for a while wtth no problems, when I set it up I installed the broadcom-5.10.27.14-k2.6.25.16.pet as I did with all previous puppies and all was fine.

Today I tried running precise 5.5 on a live CD and the weird thing is that it
sees my neighbours' wi-fi networks but not my own! No clue atall.
Some neighbours are using WPA2, just like me.

When I go back to my full install, everything is fine again.

Can anyone suggest why this might be and what I need to install/uninstall?

EDIT: I scanned this thread and installed the closest pet I could find (Precise 5.2 version) but I get an error message "incorrect kernel for this data".
Hi there

Seen you've had some advice already over on the Precise 5.5 thread.

Precise 5.5 contains all the logic and drivers - b43 and wl - to support Broadcom wifi - you don't need to install any additional pets.

The fact that you can see neighbours signals indicates that the Puppy part of the system is behaving correctly.

Do you think your router might be set to hidden SSID? Have you tried typing the SSID explicitly into whichever Network Manager you are using?

Have you tried all 3 available Network Managers - SNS, Frisbee and NetWiz? If not find the Internet Connection Wizard in the Setup menu and try Frisbee.

If that doesn't work I recommend that you try going through the manual methods described in How to configure wifi from the commandline to see where things are going wrong.

Otherwise, post the evidence produced by running the pdiag command to the forum in the above thread.

Hope this helps
Cheers
PeeBee
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

redandwhitestripes

#66 Post by redandwhitestripes »

Thanks for the reply. SSID is not hidden and although it weirdly sees my neighbours, the signal strength for their networks is very low, far lower than it is with my usual Pup.

I tried reverting to WEP and switching off my router's firewall. No change.

I tried loading the module and running the script the user gave me in the other thread. Again, no change.

I will now post my pdiag readout on the relevant thread. Thanks.

boof

driver for BW1518?

#67 Post by boof »

3.0+HS USB adapter
WiFi
BW1518

Vendor ID 148f Ralink component RA2870 driver?????
Product id 5370

Vendor id 0a5c Broadcom component driver unknown.
Product id 2146

loads RA2800 driver by default. Is this correct? Have win XP drivers, can send .ini, .cat and .sys files. Wrapper not working, as screen freezes when RA2800 deleted for wrapper install.

Trying to tether to Nokia C3-00 or PXPHONE PXi9300. Not having a lot of luck in Puppy, tho' win works ok on the Nokia. The PXPHONE may have an Huawei dial-up modem???

Dell Inspiron 600m, Dell Optilex 745.

peebee

Re: driver for BW1518?

#68 Post by peebee »

boof wrote:3.0+HS USB adapter
WiFi
BW1518

Vendor ID 148f Ralink component RA2870 driver?????
Product id 5370

Vendor id 0a5c Broadcom component driver unknown.
Product id 2146

loads RA2800 driver by default. Is this correct? Have win XP drivers, can send .ini, .cat and .sys files. Wrapper not working, as screen freezes when RA2800 deleted for wrapper install.

Trying to tether to Nokia C3-00 or PXPHONE PXi9300. Not having a lot of luck in Puppy, tho' win works ok on the Nokia. The PXPHONE may have an Huawei dial-up modem???

Dell Inspiron 600m, Dell Optilex 745.

Google search shows:
http://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/BT_HCIBTUSB.html

Broadcom 0a5c:2146 is Bluetooth not wifi so the WL driver is not appropriate.

Afraid I'm a mobile phone phobic so can't help with them.

This post may offer you better help:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 7&start=15

peebee

Thin Slacko 5.5.0.3

#69 Post by peebee »

Here is the delta file for Thin Slacko 5.5.0.3 which has kernel 3.9.0.0
Attachments
broadcom_wl_delta-k3.9.0.0.pet
Delta file for Slacko 5.5.0.3 with k3.9.0.0
(89.93 KiB) Downloaded 1157 times

fefifofum

Lenovo s10 netbook - Braodcom STA

#70 Post by fefifofum »

First, I would like to thank everyone helping us withe the broadcom issues. You are all great. I have a Lenovo S10 Netbook running lucid 5.2.8 -500 on k2.6.33.2 with wifi broacom sta issues. I've tried installing the three multi-pet packages you created with no true success. These are the three pets that I have tried
and are located at: http://e-nautia.com/peebee/disk?f=1237693

This is my experience with with each pets:
broadcom_sta_v5.60.48.36_patched_x86_32-multi
- successfully loaded
- rebooted just fine
- was able to locate my ssid.
- Fail to locate access point

broadcom_sta_v5.100.82.112_patched_x86_32-multi.

- At install..."the delta file for this pet is missing. Please uninstall the pet."
- I dont know what delta file it is referring to.

broadcom_sta_v5.100.82.112_patched_x86_32-multi_inc_pref_logic
- successfully loaded
- rebooted just fine
- was able to locate my ssid.
- Fail to locate access point

The wifi on Ubuntu and w2k works just fine on this machine. Any assistance would greatly be appreciated.

peebee

Delta file for Thin Slacko 5.5.04 with k3.9.1-0

#71 Post by peebee »

The Delta file for Thin Slacko 5.5.04 with kernel 3.9.1-0 is attached.
Attachments
broadcom_wl_delta-k3.9.1-0.pet
Delta for kernel 3.9.1-0
(89.94 KiB) Downloaded 1326 times

peebee

Re: Lenovo s10 netbook - Braodcom STA

#72 Post by peebee »

fefifofum wrote:I have a Lenovo S10 Netbook running lucid 5.2.8 -500 on k2.6.33.2 with wifi broacom sta issues. I've tried installing the three multi-pet packages you created with no true success.
Hi there

Firstly apologies that I somehow missed your post and haven't responded before now.....

Lucid 5.2.8-500 was a great Puppy version but is now getting quite old and as a consequence does not have the many improvements that rerwin has developed for more modern Puppies.

So my first recommendation if it is practical for you would be to move to a Puppy like Precise 5.5 or Slacko 5.5 where all the Broadcom improvements including the wl driver are built-in.

Or at least try one of these Puppies as a frugal install to see if they improve matters.

My next recommendation is that you should determine exactly which version of Broadcom wifi you have (there are many) and then check with the list at http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Dri ... ed_devices
which of the 3 driver types - b43, wl and brcm80211 might best support your device.

You can find details of your device with the command

Code: Select all

lspci -vnn -d 14e4:
in a terminal.

Of the 3 pets you have tried - the 2nd one definitely will not work as it relies on the newer "rerwin" logic and therefore cannot be used with Lucid 5.2.8 - that is why there is no delta file....

Hope this helps
Cheers
peebee

peebee

Delta for Precise 5.6Beta with k3.2.44

#73 Post by peebee »

[EDIT] Precise 5.6 Beta2 now has the wl.ko driver so this delta should be redundant [/EDIT]

Barry has published Precise 5.6Beta but this doesn't have the wl driver built-in (hopefully this will be rectified for the release version) but in the meantime here is the delta pet for Precise 5.6Beta kernel 3.2.44

[edit]full wl.ko driver has been sent to Barry hopefully to appear in next Precise 5.6 version...........[/edit]
Attachments
broadcom_wl_delta-k3.2.44.pet
Delta for k3.2.44
(42.18 KiB) Downloaded 1076 times

fefifofum

Re: Lenovo s10 netbook - Braodcom STA

#74 Post by fefifofum »

Peebee wrote:
So my first recommendation if it is practical for you would be to move to a Puppy like Precise 5.5 or Slacko 5.5 where all the Broadcom improvements including the wl driver are built-in.

Thank you, I will try Precise 5.5 and Slacko 5.5. If that doesnt work I guess i could buy a usb wifi device.

for_wov

wl

#75 Post by for_wov »

to redandwhitestripes & peebee
"When I go back to my full install, everything is fine again."

I suppose that happens because wl module loads after saving/rebooting
Managed wifi on manual flugal(no save file yet) also should work in live by networkwizard+frisbee one after the other with static IPs on both networkmanagers. frisbee reconects at intervals but works.
My wifi is wep-encrypted but in kernel modules see lib89211_crypt_tkip.ko loaded suppose should be lib89211_crypt_wep.ko.
The question is: is it possible(and how if is) to load proper lib module without rebooting/making save-file so that I could be able to work live? any ideas? what info should I submit? where to dig?
my distro precise 5.6. should i try another networkmanager?

peebee

Re: wl

#76 Post by peebee »

for_wov wrote:to redandwhitestripes & peebee
My wifi is wep-encrypted but in kernel modules see lib89211_crypt_tkip.ko loaded suppose should be lib89211_crypt_wep.ko.
The question is: is it possible(and how if is) to load proper lib module without rebooting/making save-file so that I could be able to work live? any ideas? what info should I submit? where to dig?
my distro precise 5.6. should i try another networkmanager?
Hi for_wov

I'm afraid I'm not expert enough in wifi crypto to know which crypto module should be loaded for wep encryption.

Precise 5.6 has the wl driver built into the iso image. Rerwin's logic will be deciding that your Broadcom variant is best supported by the wl driver.

If you are prepared to experiment, you could try using the BootManager to blacklist the module you suspect and to force load the crypt_wep module. This will need savefile creation and reboot to work.

Have you determined which variant of Broadcom wifi you have (see earlier posts for command) and checked to see which driver supports your variant?

Cheers
peebee

for_wov

wl+frisbee

#77 Post by for_wov »

mine is BCM4313 and wl module loaded. BTW noticed in frisbee's "Manage Saved Networks" tab encryption type TKIP but my wify network is WEP. can anybody tell where can I change encryption type in frisbee. OR is it better to install another networkmanager? SNS(simple network setup by BK)even does not see wl's network interfaces. Thanks in advance.

for_wov

wl strange

#78 Post by for_wov »

strange thing wl works fine on slackos and precises after rebooting [networkwizard+frisbee]no problems though my driver should be brcmsmac or brcmfmac (THANKS PEEPBEE). the thing is I only wanted to work without rebooting with wifi to bee true live(on my laptop,at least, for experiments).love "drunken puppyes" :) (puppy+wine). will continue "spoiling" my pup :).

for_wov

BCM4313

#79 Post by for_wov »

no more 'wl' modules in my system/precise-5.6.1/ REFUSED wl from networkwizard (my first but not last networkmanager to wifi and net :)/
launch it automatically at first then others. SNS (AFTER networkwizard) shows nothing in wlan section but SEES &CONNECTS (and no reconnects at intervals) to my network (wpa for sure sory for missleading :oops: ) No more experiments/ time to work. thanks to all

peebee

Delta pet for Raring Puppy "5.7alpha1"

#80 Post by peebee »

Here is the delta pet for Raring Puppy "5.7alpha2" with kernel 3.9.5

Load the attached delta pet

then load the multi-kernel pet

then reboot
Attachments
broadcom_wl_delta-k3.9.5.pet
(89.95 KiB) Downloaded 841 times