Wifi-TrayNet and Wifi-Scanner

stemsee

Wifi-TrayNet and Wifi-Scanner

#1 Post by stemsee »

Wifi-TrayNet is a Tray Docked based network connection tool. It's defining feature is the notifications mostly via tray icon tooltip.

The password-gui provides many configuration options for connecting to APs found on a given interface.

Soft-Airplane mode 'ifconfig down'
Hard-Airplane mode 'rfkill block wlan'
WPA_CLI mode is supported (wps)
Autoconnect is supported

Swap menu icon set for light or dark themes is supported
WPA, WEP, WPA2, EAP (eduroam), Open Networks are supported
but also 32 network blocks available for advanced configurations
USB mobile phone tether is supported
Ethernet 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7 are supported
Random mac address assignment is supported

This update has improved process control.

More use of bssid to connect and provide information of AP.

Clearer use of tooltips to indicate status and function use.

Regular updates of available APs in the menu and tooltip.

Indications in the menu AP item list which AP is currently connected.

Auto-connect to default profile if restart X or app.

Bluetooth and command execution function with feedback in the yad panel using cycle-read to feed the 12 fields.

Introducing The Geometry Recorder which can store position and size dimensions of titled windows to assist desktop space management ... have windows open where you want. Can be toggled on/off.

The password/user entry gui has 11 input fields, from left to right and down.

Password and User id fields are auto-greyed out according to authentication types.

AP selected shows the ssid of AP selected from tray menu. The mac address of the selected AP is shown in the ReSelect AP field. Selecting the down arrow shows all available APs found, select one and click ok to change selected AP.

dhcpc editor shows the udhcpc and dhcpcd strings used for acquiring the ip address from the AP.

Config editor (geany/leafpad) if selected opens selected AP/profile with selected text editor.

Profiles selector, shows saved profiles and selects matching AP with saved profile. If visible, the shown profile will be connected even if password and /or user id has been entered. To create a new profile with updated password/id blank line in the profiles field, enter password/id and click ok.

Driver field for wpa_supplicant. Use wired for ethernet connection, selecting or inputting the network device in the interface field.v Or use wext for wireless devices.

Static ip set, field with examples...for advanced set-ups.

$int (wlan0) mac, shows your hardware mac address. Edits to this mac address will be applied.

Field 12 is a button, that brings up the NetworkBlocks presets in case of editing the Profile or connection config (netsel/qrc/default).

Thanks go to Mochimopel, misko_2083, Fredx181 and Josepi.

stemsee

edit: bluetooth functions updated considerably.
Attachments
Wifi-TrayNet-061119.sfs.gz
(180 KiB) Downloaded 151 times
wifi-traynet-190819_7_amd64.deb.gz
(172.62 KiB) Downloaded 159 times
j.png
(63.89 KiB) Downloaded 507 times
Last edited by stemsee on Wed 06 Nov 2019, 11:16, edited 46 times in total.

stemsee

#2 Post by stemsee »

Added wifi signal strength and key-on icons, wpa_cli.

I still have to add logging and pid control and hotspot!
Attachments
capture11574.png
(31.19 KiB) Downloaded 967 times
netmenu.png
(38.68 KiB) Downloaded 970 times
1netmenu.png
(104.52 KiB) Downloaded 1403 times
Last edited by stemsee on Mon 31 Dec 2018, 15:16, edited 2 times in total.

stemsee

#3 Post by stemsee »

Now has two icon sets which can be switched live. Added second menu. Added extra useful features in password gui, such as profile connection, and re-select AP from list for direct connection. Hotspot added. Refined the power level groupings for meter icons. Fixed some bugs, and added fix broken pipe function.
Added animated tray icons.

Testing for a few more days before packaging.

stemsee

#4 Post by stemsee »

NetMenu as I call it is at beta.

I have been using it on my touchtablet and laptop this past week. It's easy to use, intuitive and fairly comprehensive for daily use.
Attachments
touch.png
(131.81 KiB) Downloaded 1367 times
icons2.png
2nd icon set
(29.99 KiB) Downloaded 1410 times
Last edited by stemsee on Sun 18 Feb 2018, 14:13, edited 1 time in total.

stemsee

#5 Post by stemsee »

PAssword input gui also facilitates using saved profile to connect and also changing selection from the list of found APs, and also the ability to edit the config with geany or leafpad or 'user input', before connection.
Attachments
xscreenshot-20180215T093102.png
(32.49 KiB) Downloaded 1357 times

stemsee

#6 Post by stemsee »

Added transmission option in Extra options menu. This adds RX and TX data transmission info as tooltip for 44 seconds before reverting.

Also added very easy static ip address configuration to password gui, in place of delete profiles checkbox.

Also added user activated random mac generator feature to the extra options menu.

Also ironed out several silly bugs.

Apart from some possible improvement with the hotspot function this is about it.
Attachments
gui.png
(28.66 KiB) Downloaded 295 times
out_2018-02-18_140208.mp4.gz
(158.68 KiB) Downloaded 298 times
out_2018-02-18_140118.mp4.gz
(138.52 KiB) Downloaded 299 times

stemsee

#7 Post by stemsee »

Here is probably the final script. I changed the script name from TrayNet to netmenu.
Last edited by stemsee on Wed 11 Apr 2018, 18:49, edited 1 time in total.

stemsee

#8 Post by stemsee »

A package for netmenu.

Removed due to bugs! See last post.
Last edited by stemsee on Thu 08 Mar 2018, 13:42, edited 1 time in total.

stemsee

#9 Post by stemsee »

There was an unused function, namely monitor mode. Monitor mode has now been implemented. Output of the wifi card in monitor mode using

Code: Select all

iw phy phy0 interface add mon0 type monitor
ifconfig mon0 up
iw dev mon0 freq 2412
tcpdump -i mon0 -n | grep Beacon
is displayed usng a yad --text-info pane, with --listen & --tail to scroll to the page bottom as new data flows in. A button is available to clear all data on-the-fly. Frequency to monitor can be set. Filter is set to 'Beacon', to show AP details.

WPS is available with wpa_cli.

stemsee

#10 Post by stemsee »

Forum member and FatDog developer step PMed me highlighting problems with the script ... thanks for that. So here is a working script, at least on my systems.

Sorry about that for those who downloaded it.

The about function is updated to reflect authorship and usage.

Functions have been reduced, and all functions exported before any scan or menu command is issued.

There is a dependency list infobox using yaf-splash.

The RSSi icon dbm display levels have been adjusted for a more practical representation, although -120 to 0 db is accommodated.

some redirection to /dev/null has been implemented.
Also control of curl after finding external ip.

Starting script in terminal as 'netmenu debug' removes redirection and shows messages in stdout/term.

Needs work.

stemsee
Last edited by stemsee on Wed 11 Apr 2018, 18:49, edited 1 time in total.

stemsee

#11 Post by stemsee »

Here is a slight update with new icon set, a couple bugs ironed out!
Last edited by stemsee on Wed 11 Apr 2018, 18:50, edited 1 time in total.

stemsee

#12 Post by stemsee »

Previous upload had two 'depsfn' functions ...

Anyway, this has dhcpcd as priority.

Now in the pasword gui, instead of showing AP mac address there is now a dhcpc selector/editor.

Also I was using a '£' symbol for substituing double quotation marks, which then got doubled ... so swapped £ for ? ... and seems to be working fine.

Also when 'wired' driver option is selected no need to create an AP config, so script just jumps to connection command, with wpa_supplicant.

Lastly reduced package down to 144 K
Last edited by stemsee on Wed 11 Apr 2018, 18:50, edited 1 time in total.

stemsee

#13 Post by stemsee »

Added a new icon set - red and black for encrypted networks: green and blue for open networks.

I tried to implement airplane mode (rfkill block wlan).
Attachments
TayNet.png
(43.83 KiB) Downloaded 1091 times

stemsee

#14 Post by stemsee »

airplane mode 'rfkill block/unblock all' fully operational, with tooltips, tray icon and menu changes as appropriate for each state of airplane mode on/off - activated/de-activated etc.

Also added Quick Re-Connect to menu. This copies the wpa_supplicant AP config file to /tmp/qrc which remeains regardless of all other operations inc 'trap cleanfinish exit', so that the last AP which was involved in a connection attempt, wether successful or not, will be available for 'Quick Re-Connect' function.

The recent icon sets have greater resolution of wifi signal strengths, 9 degrees in fact .... these start from 0-9 db=A/AK.png to 100-129 db=I/IK,png where K represents key (encrypted/password secured), which is colour coded. I will add colour coding for also for psk/non-psk/other Authentication Suites at some point - this will be the icon background colour, so must use svg icons with variables seems to me the best solution, also for adding status text to svg icons.

In the next addition I have re-activated /etc/resolv.conf.tail/head creation if data exists, in the static ip section, simply add two more nameservers. If first nameserver is 0.0.0.0 then system scripts will generate one.

Code: Select all

wlan0 192.168.1.19 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.1 0.0.0.0 8.8.8.8  9.9.9.9

josejp2424

Wifi-TrayNet excelente

#15 Post by josejp2424 »

Excellent, Stemsee! I'm testing it without errors so far. Thank you

stemsee

#16 Post by stemsee »

thanks josejp

hola

Today I was in Victoria Railway station in London, and I tested this wifi app ... there were about 30 APs available, and some of them did not have ESSID names, and even in the raw scan result there was not a line with the ESSID header. So the scan results were half right and half messy. Today I came up with a interim solution that if the number of Cell lines is more than the number of ESSID lines then geany opens the scan results for editing. Then one must insert ESSID:"" between the lines for Encryption key:* and Bit Rates:1*

If anyone knows how to code that with awk or sed that would be appreciated, otherwise I will have to re-code in such a way that it scans first for bssid (mac addresses) and then adds any ssid associated after.

Also I re-did swap icons features; two sets available ( i will add more colourful sets).

Added feature to highlight in password gui the saved profile of selected ssid if available.

Re-arranged menu items for ease of use.

stemsee

#17 Post by stemsee »

This is the sfs package with the latest features, fake .gz
Last edited by stemsee on Wed 11 Apr 2018, 18:48, edited 1 time in total.

stemsee

#18 Post by stemsee »

Added to mainmenu ethernet2 connect.

Menu Ethernet1, Ethernet2, USB connection now toggle interfaces up or down....with animated tray icon to show something is happening.

stemsee

#19 Post by stemsee »

Fixed a the no ESSID phenomena.

Added a sleep to wait for ip address, seems to improve connection.

A few other small things.

Which name is better TrayNet or NetMenu ?
Last edited by stemsee on Wed 11 Apr 2018, 18:48, edited 1 time in total.

stemsee

#20 Post by stemsee »

Latest update.

It's more informative now, and fewer back-grounded processes.

More control of hardware for wired networking.

Re-organised script for more efficient operation.

Can accommodate ip devices without ESSID: provision.

Airplane Mode now includes usb and ethernet interfaces as well as wireless ones.

EDIT~: re-uploaded. tamed curl which propagated itself. Also $int definition in wrong place.
Last edited by stemsee on Fri 13 Apr 2018, 19:14, edited 1 time in total.