Slacko 5.3.1 - Wlan (RT 2870) generally works, but

vel2000

Slacko 5.3.1 - Wlan (RT 2870) generally works, but

#1 Post by vel2000 »

Finally, I got my D-Link DWA 125 to work.
(Needed to download newer firmware from Debian site).
But the Problem is, after reboot I need to start the network-manager every time, load the profile, and then connect.
Sometimes I have to run "auto-dhcp" after this, to get an IP.
But I am not able to "auto-connect" after reboot.
Frisbee doesn't work...(some problem with ssid), just the same as "simple network manager" (problem with essid).
So, how to implement an auto-connect after reboot?
thanks

Aitch

#2 Post by Aitch »

try menu/setup/internet connect wizard/internet by wired or wireless lan/dougal's network wizard then click on your wifi wlan0, new profile [name it] then select scan, find your router, select, wpa or whichever security you have, enter your details, then save this profile/use this profile, then auto dhcp, and save again...then try browsing
occasionally you need to do this twice to get it to 'stick'

The only other reason for it not sticking/being available is if puppy isn't finding your savefile, AFAIK, but dougal's wizard has always proven to work where others fail, even if occasionally I need to use the static IP tab and enter IP and DNS numbers manually

Are keyboard/locale/video settings saved? i.e. a savefile functioning OK?

Some people recommend pwireless2,pet but I've never needed it

HTH

Aitch :)

vel2000

#3 Post by vel2000 »

try menu/setup/internet connect wizard/internet by wired or wireless lan/dougal's network wizard then click on your wifi wlan0, new profile [name it] then select scan, find your router, select, wpa or whichever security you have, enter your details, then save this profile/use this profile, then auto dhcp, and save again...then try browsing
occasionally you need to do this twice to get it to 'stick'

Yep I know, dougal's network wizard works for me too.
But the problem is, I have to do this procedure, after every restart.
The wlan won't "auto-connect" and I would like to avoid the above "manual connect"
Maybe a script, which is executed after login?
PS: It's a frugal install and the the savefile works as it should.

EDIT:
Ok, I found out, that iwconfig can't handle WPA2, but I was able to get it running via wpa_supplicant
So, I wrote a little script and put it in root/Startup and now my wifi is always connected after boot. Nice