Promote Puppy !
Sky Aisling

Puppy Saves The Day ... again

#16 Post by Sky Aisling »

vovchik,
I like your avatar. It makes me smile. :D

Ed Howdershelt

#17 Post by Ed Howdershelt »

[quote="sc0ttman"]And one of them is actually a MASSIVE ubuntu fanboy....
The others are older, know-nothing, "I've been computing since the 80s!" types...[/quote]

Ha. Careful about categorizing like that. I'm one of those "Been computing since computers ran on coal!" people. Remember the Timex/Sinclair? :)

BUT... I know what you mean. I had a computer repair biz for 20 years and heard the same thing a lot. Trouble is, I always heard that while I was fixing or cleaning out someone's computer. :)

What they actually mean when they say 'long time computer user' is:
"I've been using the same MS software all this time and learning only what I absolutely had to about it or anything else."

And then there are the ones who start computer clubs, but are so dependent on MS stuff they won't even allow discussions about Linux.
Got one of those around here. Some of their people still call me to fix things occasionally.
Ed
Ed Howdershelt - Abintra Press
Science Fiction & Semi-Fiction
http://www.AbintraPress.com

linuxbear

#18 Post by linuxbear »

Ed Howdershelt wrote:
sc0ttman wrote:And one of them is actually a MASSIVE ubuntu fanboy....
The others are older, know-nothing, "I've been computing since the 80s!" types...
Ha. Careful about categorizing like that. I'm one of those "Been computing since computers ran on coal!" people. Remember the Timex/Sinclair? :)

And then there are the ones who start computer clubs, but are so dependent on MS stuff they won't even allow discussions about Linux.
Got one of those around here. Some of their people still call me to fix things occasionally.
.....Agreed Ed. Electronic computing started with my father's WW-II generation and was refined by their children. The personal computer is BOOMER tech. This boomer was on a UNIX network as a superuser before you could purchase the first IBM personal PC. This "old guy" was also an IT road warrior with IBM for 7 years. I have now settled down a bit and am an "older know nothing" who is currently software quality engineer in gaming.

....As to linux groups, I had to do a bit of research as your whereabouts are a bit north of where I went to high school in Naples. There is a linux user group (LUG) close to you in St. Pete. This group might be a good place to start looking for discussions and local resources: http://www.suncoastlug.org/
Another source of information with regard to local LUGs might be meetup.com

..glen

starhawk

#19 Post by starhawk »

@Ed Howdershelt: first computer in my family was a Sinclair ZX80. I still have the letter explaining that they ran out of kits and were sending us a prebuilt model -- and eating the extra costs.

It died and was summarily thrown out some 10 years ago... I suspect that the keyboard was the problem, but the power adapter I was using was not original... ;) (Now, if I'd known just what I was dealing with, it would not have been shuffled off to the landfill!)

For a long time, I had a TRS-80 Series II Color Computer (aka "CoCo") that I gave to a friend (a) because I hadn't used it in about 3 years and (b) he'd done something nice for me and I wanted to return the favor and (c) I knew he'd love it.

BTW, my final project in college was a bit of assembly programming on the C64. You can tell that I love old computers, right...?

Ed Howdershelt

#20 Post by Ed Howdershelt »

[quote="linuxbear"]
....As to linux groups, I had to do a bit of research as your whereabouts are a bit north of where I went to high school in Naples. There is a linux user group (LUG) close to you in St. Pete. This group might be a good place to start looking for discussions and local resources: [u]http://www.suncoastlug.org/[/u]
Another source of information with regard to local LUGs might be meetup.com
..glen[/quote]

I checked out those sources back when I was messing with PCLOS and Ubuntu.
Haven't had many questions about using Puppy. :)
The one sound cut-out problem I had was answered at Youtube.
Ed
Ed Howdershelt - Abintra Press
Science Fiction & Semi-Fiction
http://www.AbintraPress.com