[solved] Warning: jpeg ain't always jpeg!

Please post any bugs you have found
scsijon

[solved] Warning: jpeg ain't always jpeg!

#1 Post by scsijon »

Just a little warning, having spent a frustrating week, for those building and running applications using the jpeg libraries!

There are a number of jpeg libraries out there today, they can be different and any may now be needed by a site!

If you use an application like mplayer/gmplayer that uses these and you find that a site doesn't like your version by giving an error message about the version, don't be in a hurry to just add a link to an existing jpeg, it may not work. Check out first whether there is already a pet or package covering the wanted library.

So far I have found these to be different and any of them may be needed by different sites across the world:

libjpeg62
libjpeg8
libopenjpeg1
libopenjpeg2
libopenjpeg3

there are also these two that may be needed:
libjbig1
libjbig2

regards
scsijon

Bruce B

Re: [solved] Warning: jpeg ain't always jpeg!

#2 Post by Bruce B »

Great tips, thank you.

If the problem is solved, I'm wasting time.

I was aware of this problem but never had it. The reason why is I made a simle utility to convert all jpeg files to a file format which work with all programs designed to handle jpeg files.

~

disciple

#3 Post by disciple »

Hmmm.
Openjpeg is for the jpeg2000 format, which is completely different to the jpeg format. jbig1 and jbig2 I guess are for the jbig and jbig2 formats, which are each completely different again, although I'm not sure why you would confuse them with jpeg.
Different versions of the same library e.g. libjpeg 62 and libjpeg8 are a different issue. I don't understand what you're saying about a particular site not liking your version of a library. Surely the problem has nothing to do with the site; it is that you don't have the same version of the library that the application (e.g. mplayer) was compiled against...
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER