Problem w/ Unleashed too many files in image.gz [solved]

Using applications, configuring, problems
BarryK
Puppy Master

#16 Post by BarryK »

ext2, ext3, reiserfs, that's irrelevant. If the partition has at least 550M free space after expanding Unleashed core and downloading all the packages, then it's fine.
packages.txt is the same one used to create puppy 1.0.3.

As you commented, some files are created in /tmp.
Maybe if you have created one puppy-unleashed folder, worked in it, then created another puppy-unleashed folder, all in the same session, perhaps there is some undesirable interaction.
When you reboot, /tmp is wiped.

When you get to that point in the script that reports not enough space, you could continue, you'll just end up with a incorrect iso. Or, ctrl-c to quit.
If you type ctrl-c to exit the script, then "df" command to find out if your /mnt/linux2 is full.

Though, exiting the script at that point will leave /dev/loop2 in existence,
you will have to "umount rootfs-tmp2".

papaschtroumpf

#17 Post by papaschtroumpf »

yes, I can't see how the host filesystem could be relevant but I'm grasping at straws here.
In the previous post with the large picture, I made sure to do a reboot to clear /temp and whatever else might have been "tainted"

as I reported in the previous post, df returns 2637384 available on /dev/hda3 (mounted on /mnt/linux2) or 21% used after I hit ctrl-c after the errors.

yes /dev/loop2 is still mounted and df reports that it's 100% full at 10903 1K blocks (should it be 11264?)

now I usually reboot and delete the entire puppy-unleashed directory before starting over, so that would take card of unmounting /dev/loop2 (because of the reboot) and freeing the space allocated for it (deleting unleashed) right?

I'm also running under virtual PC but I can;t see how this could be relevant either. I've ran linux and puppy under virtual PC without ever running into a problem like this.
Mandriva LE 2005 user and puppy newbie

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#18 Post by GuestToo »

i just tried Unleashed 1.0.3

clean install, downloaded using my dotpup

i used all the default options

it couldn't make image.gz because rootfs-tmp2/ was too small

i looked for files that shouldn't be in rootfs-tmp1 - rootfs-tmp2 ... i noticed that bash (all 633k) was in /bin

i think bash should be in /usr/bin and there should be a symlink in /bin to /usr/bin/bash

if you look in packages/bash-3.0/, bash is in bin/
i think it should be in usr/bin/, and a symlink should be in bin/

what i did was, i created a new dir in packages/bash-3.0/ called usr/
i moved bin/ to usr/
i made a dir bin/ and put a symlink to /usr/bin/bash in it (make sure the symlink is to /usr/bin/bash, not to the bash file in packages/bash-3.0/usr/bin/ )

so the bash package contains these 2 files:
packages/bash-3.0/usr/bin/bash
packages/bash-3.0/bin/bash

and packages/bash-3.0/bin/bash is a symlink to /usr/bin/bash
(right click the packages/bash-3.0/bin/ dir, click Open Xterm Here, and type
ln -s /usr/bin/bash bash )

i ran createpuppy again, and it seemed to work ok ... it put a symlink to /usr/bin/bash in rootfs-tmp2/bin/ , it didn't show any out-of-space errors, and it seemed to build the iso ok

papaschtroumpf

#19 Post by papaschtroumpf »

thanks for looking into it GuestToo! I was going nuts, especially since it takes over an hour to build on my machine (I didn't want to use the faster scripts I posted just in case they somehow messed things up)

I'll make the changes.

The unleashed pcakge should probably get updated.

papaschtroumpf

#20 Post by papaschtroumpf »

Thanks! it worked!