PupMenu-6.2.1

Miscellaneous tools
oldyeller

#46 Post by oldyeller »

Hi radky,

I did notice something, But you probably know already. The Personal Category does not show up. Has this been removed for the standards to be meat for the menu. I hope this all make sense.

Cheers

radky

#47 Post by radky »

oldyeller wrote:Hi radky,

I did notice something, But you probably know already. The Personal Category does not show up. Has this been removed for the standards to be meat for the menu. I hope this all make sense.

Cheers
Hi oldyeller,

If you want to see the Business, Document and Personal categories in the Pupmenu interface, go to Preferences and select the "Show legacy menu" option.

Tooltip for this option:
Show standard Puppy menu categories
such as Business, Document, Personal.
Uncheck to show menu categories with
enhanced freedesktop.org compliance.
When this option is unchecked, the Puppy-specific Business, Document and Personal categories are no longer shown in PupMenu. Items in the Business and Document categories are moved to the Office category, and items in the Personal category are moved to the Utility category. The Office category is standard fare in many distros.

Also, you can select the 'Show Accessories' checkbox to remove the Utility category in PupMenu. If this option is checked, the Utility items are moved to the Accessories category, which is popular in some distros.

No menu items are lost in this transition. They are simply moved to alternate categories in the PupMenu interface.

I hope this helps. :)
[color=blue][b][url=http://www.smokey01.com/radky/PupMates.html]PupMates[/url][/b][/color]

oldyeller

#48 Post by oldyeller »

Thanks radky,

I just have not taken the time to really look, sorry about that. Been doing a lot of studying bash. Will pm later in the week.

Cheers

radky

#49 Post by radky »

PupMenu-4.0. See main post.
- Updated support for recent changes in Woof-CE.
- Added multi-function recent-files module. This option parses recently-used.xbel and provides a launchable list of files accessed by GTK open/save dialogs.
- Major update to bookmarks module (open, move, add, delete or reset personal folder/file/URL bookmarks, and optionally append ROX/GTK bookmarks).
- Major update to launch-history module.
- Major update to PupMenuEdit module.
- Updated PupMenuMaker module.
- Updated Help dialog.
- Added category-specific identification icons to menu items in full, mid and control-panel (CPL) views.
- Bugfix: inconsistent save from Edit tab of PupMenuEdit
[color=blue][b][url=http://www.smokey01.com/radky/PupMates.html]PupMates[/url][/b][/color]

MochiMoppel

Re: PupMenu-4.0

#50 Post by MochiMoppel »

radky wrote:PupMenu includes the built-in 'Favorites' menu category in the main user interface, and automatically adds this category to the standard Puppy XDG menu when you first launch the PupMenuEdit module. The Favorites option is also available as an independent launcher for the desktop or panel (see below).
Sorry if this has been asked before: Is there a way to delete/hide this new category (or any other category) using PupMenu?

radky

#51 Post by radky »

Hi MochiMoppel,

The next release of PupMenu (available soon) will enable show/hide options for all of the JWM menu categories, including the Favorites category.

This capability is already available for Fbpanel menu categories in the FbBox desktop environment.

Thanks for your question.

MochiMoppel

#52 Post by MochiMoppel »

Thanks. Seems there is hardly any feature you haven't yet implemented :lol:

radky

#53 Post by radky »

PupMenu-4.1. See main post.
- Added treeview icons which are displayed along the left margin of all applications.
- Added on-demand updating of the applications database and icon cache. Use the refresh buttons of PupMenu and PupMenuEdit when the the XDG menu has changed, i.e., after installing/uninstalling applications, creating/deleting .desktop files, adding/removing SFS files.
- Added user-choice options for tray applications: file manager, task manager, sysinfo utility, terminal emulator and run dialog utility.
- Added support for direct launching of wine application via .desktop files.
- Added option in PupMenuEdit to show/hide menu categories in JWM.
- Added option in PupMenuEdit to set menu-item height in JWM.
- The NoDisplay status of menu items in PupMenu now parallels that of the main XDG menu. Use PupMenuEdit to change the Show/Hide status of menu applications.

radky

#54 Post by radky »

PupMenu-4.2. See main post.
- Dangling (broken) image symlinks created by some applications may disrupt the corresponding gtkdialog treeview icons of PupMenu. Consequently, the 4.2 update of PupMenu automatically removes broken symlinks in folders typically parsed by the gtkdialog tree widget.
- Adjust call to fixmenus for JWM.

1DoLittle

#55 Post by 1DoLittle »

Message: I am using PupMenu 4.2 and like the favorites, but when I change the main menu settings using JWM from 16 (default) to 24 for ease of reading and control the favorites is not displayed. It returns if settings are returned to 16.

Changes are made with JWM Desk 2.0

OS TAHR64 6.0.5

In PupMenuEdit>Show-Hide>Menu categories no catagories are hidden
In PupMenuEdit>Settings>Menu Height is listed as 24 (Changing does not help
In PupMenuEdit>Favorites 5 applications are listed

1DoLittle

#56 Post by 1DoLittle »

Follow up

Problem solved
In PupMenuEdit>Show-Hide>Menu categories
Found Hidden Menu Categories empty
Clicked on favorites to hide favorites
favorites now listed as hidden
Clicked on favorites to unhide

Now the menu is displayed with a height of 24 with favorites

radky

#57 Post by radky »

1DoLittle wrote:Problem solved...Now the menu is displayed with a height of 24 with favorites
Hi 1DoLittle,

Just a couple of additional comments:

In PupMenuEdit you can show/hide JWM menu categories, individual menu items, or both.

Keep in mind, if you hide items in the Puppy XDG menu (PupMenuEdit>Show-Hide>Menu items), this action also impacts items in the Favorites category.

For example, if you add Abiword to the list of favorites the item will not show in the Favorites category if you later include it in the list of hidden items. In other words, the show/hide option takes precedence over favorites. So, in this scenario, just unhide Abiword and it should show in the Favorites category.

In JWMdesk you can easily change the menu icon size, but this option is also available in PupMenu (PupMenuEdit>Settings>Menu height). So, make sure this settings is correct before clicking the Apply button of PupMenuEdit.

Thanks for your comments! :)

radky

#58 Post by radky »

PupMenu-4.3. See main post.
- Bugfix: Pipe error in Hide/Show module of PupMenuEdit

torm

#59 Post by torm »

... how about standalone "micro" ?
And if it would use history instead of all.. (if possible) probably could make a nice portable menu for some systems..
V/H scrollbar is a bit problematic, other than that, it appears to accept its own themes :wink:

radky

#60 Post by radky »

torm wrote:... how about standalone "micro" ?
And if it would use history instead of all.. (if possible) probably could make a nice portable menu for some systems.
Hi torm,

Unlike standard run-dialog utilities such as gexec or grun, PupMenu parses .desktop files in /usr/share/applications and provides a list of launchable menu items analagous to the standard Puppy menu. Currently, the 'mini' GUI is the smallest interface available for PupMenu, and the 'launch history' is available as a pop-up window rather than a drop-down list.

On the other hand, if you are interested in a minimal or 'micro' launcher interface, there are several run-dialog utilities (such as gexec, grun or pRun) which parse applications in the standard executable path (such as /usr/bin, /usr/sbin, /usr/local/bin). The popular gexec and grun utilites offer a drop-down list of recently launched items, and pRun offers a pop-up list for re-launching items in the launch history.

Usually, standard run-dialog utilities such as gexec or grun are available in the Puppy package manager. The pRun utility is included in the PupMenu pet, or you can download as a separate standalone application.

Thanks for your comments.
Attachments
image-1.png
(8.91 KiB) Downloaded 336 times

torm

#61 Post by torm »

Maybe something similar to "Navig8tor" that I did see here somewhere on
the forum (unfortunately no longer for download.. )
Well I hope when get back home I could post some screenshot of
what I had in mind (already have working "fork", that I'm happy with
- aside from change in All/History as first option-section, that needs some
more work..)
There must be some "other" interactive feature I have not figured out at this
point... to give it the right look and feel.

Edit: "micro" may have been a little misleading, as I used MID_VIEW as a
starting point.
Screenshot shows a Kore theme (from GnoMenu theme set) in JWM,
..not finished, just to get some first impression. ( buttons are not placed properly @ now)
window proportions need some work too.. :roll:
Edit2: updated screenshot. Minor changes to layout.
Attachments
mid_kore_3.png
illustration only
(116.77 KiB) Downloaded 587 times
Last edited by torm on Tue 17 May 2016, 18:34, edited 2 times in total.

torm

#62 Post by torm »

The other thing... how do I translate menuitems?
*.desktop files actually are translated at this point -JWM reads 'em fine.
And.. somehow I get the impression it only looks for the filenames of the
files not what is in them.. ?

radky

#63 Post by radky »

Hi torm,

Nice screenshot of your desktop with the Gnome Kore theme. :)

I think the next release of PupMenu (4.4) will address some of your questions including:

1 - Simplified user interface for easier navigation
2 - Scalable GUI with option to set the opening width to your preference
3 - History category (radiobutton on main GUI) which lists recently-launched apps in chronological order
4 - Enhanced search mode will parse all characters in the desktop filenames as well as the Menu Name & Categories listed inside each desktop file
5 - PupMenu is not currently gettexted for translation, but this is a possibility for future releases.
Attachments
image-1.png
PupMenu Mid-view GUI
(33.96 KiB) Downloaded 660 times

nilsonmorales

#64 Post by nilsonmorales »

radky: sorry for post this here.
torm wrote
Maybe something similar to "Navig8tor" that I did see here somewhere on
the forum (unfortunately no longer for download.. )

http://repo.gentoo-es.com/PuppyLinux-re ... or-1.1.pet
[b][url=http://nilsonmorales.blogspot.com/]My blog |[/url][/b][b][url=https://github.com/woofshahenzup]| Github[/url][/b]
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/5tz5vrrX/imag018la6.gif[/img]
[img]http://s5.postimg.org/7h2fid8pz/botones_logos3.png[/img]

torm

#65 Post by torm »

Sounds good