PupMenu-6.2.1

Miscellaneous tools
radky

#76 Post by radky »

don570 wrote:
If you remove the %U suffix, running the libreoffice command will launch the startcenter successfully in Quirky.
Good tip!

I also noticed an app called 'swriter'
When it is put in favorites submenu it will launch librewriter
because its exec line is suitable.
It shows an icon in menu as well.
In Quirky, all primary Libreoffice applications will launch correctly from the Favorites sub-menu and will show the appropriate icon, including sbase, scalc, sdraw, simpress and swriter.

The libreoffice-startcenter application will also launch correctly and will show the corresponding icon in the Favorites sub-menu after you make two changes to the desktop file as described above.

To install xerus64-8.1.5-8gb.img.xz to a flash drive, I followed Barry's alternate 'Option 2' and the installation is working very nicely. :)
[color=blue][b][url=http://www.smokey01.com/radky/PupMates.html]PupMates[/url][/b][/color]

don570

#77 Post by don570 »

Here's the install you mentioned

http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/quirky ... readme.htm

There are so many methods and install docs at ibiblio :roll:

radky

#78 Post by radky »

PupMenu-6.0
- Major update of all PupMenu modules
- Adjust GUI to show menu categories as iconified items similar to the Whisker menu plugin of xfce (thanks mikeslr)
- Adjust drop-down menu of the main GUI to provide improved access to all interfaces including the menu editor and menu maker modules
- Add option to arrange menu categories alphabetically
- Add option to open the GUI in the Favorites category, else open in the All category
- Add options to open the GUI at screen center, upper-left corner of the screen, or under the mouse pointer
- Add 'hover select' option for menu categories
- Add optional Wine menu category
- Add support for launching applications as spot (requires run-as-spot in Exec line of application .desktop file)
- Add support for the new Woof-CE approach to resizing the menu of jwm
- Improved support for spaces in application names and executable names
- Bugfix: Auto-updating cache files failed in some scenarios when saving menu files through the Edit tab of PupMenuEdit
[color=blue][b][url=http://www.smokey01.com/radky/PupMates.html]PupMates[/url][/b][/color]

Pelo

Slacko 2012, useful pupMenu

#79 Post by Pelo »

Slacko 2012, useful pupMenu version 4 withdraw apps from the menu.. But i would like more. I made tries with this Puppy and remove programs, but are are still in desktop. They don't work. how to erase this remaining stuff..

"- Add support for the new Woof-CE approach to resizing the menu of jwm " feed back soon

BarryK
Puppy Master

#80 Post by BarryK »

radky,
I have just added PupApps to Easy, see blog post:

http://easyos.info/news/new-and-upgrade ... sy-04.html

However, is PupApps deprecated in favour of PupMenu?

EDIT
That link is now:

http://bkhome.org/news/201708/new-and-u ... sy-04.html
Last edited by BarryK on Thu 21 Sep 2017, 00:12, edited 1 time in total.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

radky

Re: Slacko 2012, useful pupMenu

#81 Post by radky »

Pelo wrote:Slacko 2012, useful pupMenu version 4 withdraw apps from the menu.. But i would like more. I made tries with this Puppy and remove programs, but are are still in desktop. They don't work. how to erase this remaining stuff..

"- Add support for the new Woof-CE approach to resizing the menu of jwm " feed back soon
Hi Pelo,

If I understand correctly, 'Slacko 2012' is a reference to the legacy Slacko 5.3 series released more than five years ago. PupMenu is designed for Puppy 5.5 or greater, and it may or may not work correctly with older Pups. Also, the menu editor module of PupMenu is not compatible with other menu editors (such as pmenu) that may hide menu items by moving the corresponding desktop files from /usr/share/applications to another directory repository.

Generally, when you show or hide items in the standard Puppy menu, the editor module of Pupmenu (PupMenuEdit) changes the 'NoDisplay' parameter of .desktop files in /usr/share/applications. However, this has no impact on programs that you typically launch by clicking an icon on the desktop. To remove program icons from the ROX desktop, you can right-click the icon and choose the option to remove.

In recent Woof-CE Pups, PupMenuEdit supports resizing the icons of the standard desktop menu of JWM. I don't know if icon resizing is available in the legacy Slacko 5.3 series.

radky

#82 Post by radky »

BarryK wrote:radky,
I have just added PupApps to Easy, see blog post:

http://easyos.info/news/new-and-upgrade ... sy-04.html

However, is PupApps deprecated in favour of PupMenu?
Hi Barry,

PupApps and PupControl were developed at the same time, one as a basic application launcher and the other as a control panel for Puppy. They are similar in appearance and function, and both serve as simple static launchers. PupApps works fine as designed but recognizes only those applications that are specifically included in its built-in app database.

On the other hand, PupMenu is more versatile since it dynamically adjusts to the currently installed applications of Puppy or Easy Linux. It is designed as an application launcher similar to the popular Whisker menu of Xfce, but also includes modules for creating and editing items in the standard desktop menu.

So, to answer your question, PupApps is not specifically deprecated but I think PupMenu is much more versatile and provides functionality similar to the built-in application launchers of other mainstream Linux distributions.

mikeslr

For those who like the Desktop Right-Click Menu

#83 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All,

I'm really pleased with how customizible and functional PupMenu 6 is. One of its great features is the ability of the user to assign his/her favorite applications to a Favorites Category and (optionally) display those as soon as the menu opens. No more having to wade thru byzantine structures to get to your most frequently used applications. :D In this respect, it emulates --with far fewer use of computer resources-- the option offered by Whisker Menu when you're using Xfce as window manager.

One thing I've just discovered, however, I think surpasses xfce's functionality. After you've assigned applications to the Favorite category, you don't even have to scroll down and click the Start-Menu. Just Right-Click an empty space on the desktop and, as before, a "Pop-Up" Menu will appear. This Menu will also show a Favorites Category; scroll into it and the Favorites you've assigned will be there, only one click away from opening.

Radky has out-done himself. :lol:

mikesLr

peebee

#84 Post by peebee »

Hi Radky

PupMenu-6.0 looks really good and I'm considering replacing pmenu currently in LxPup with it.....

I have one problem - the Icon Viewer button is inactive for me in PupMenuEditor - does that mean that something is missing from my builds? (I have lxshortcut).

I'm also getting items put into the pcmanfm bookmarks that I'm not expecting... see screenie.

And I have a suggestion - PupMenu currently puts multiple items into the Utility menu - I think I'd prefer just one item in the Desktop menu as I think you can get to all the other components using PupMenu as the "master" - am I right in this assumption? I can make this change locally in my build without disturbing your .pet .....

I notice that there is quite a big pinstall.sh in the .pet that doesn't get run in a woof-ce install - are there any implications to watch out for?

Many thanks
peebee
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(48.85 KiB) Downloaded 479 times
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

radky

#85 Post by radky »

Hi peebee,

Thanks for testing the new PupMenu.

I installed LxPupSc-17.08.1T-k64.iso (manual frugal install) and then installed the PupMenu-6.0.pet, allowing the pinstall script to run. After testing, I created another frugal install of LxPupSc and installed the PupMenu-6.0.pet without running the pinstall script.

In both installations, the Icon Viewer button of PupMenuEdit works fine for me (see attached image). Of course, when you first open the File tab of PupMenuEdit, the icon viewer is inactive until you click on a menu item, at which time the icon of that item should be displayed in the viewer. If this does not work for you, maybe I can test further.
I'm also getting items put into the pcmanfm bookmarks that I'm not expecting... see screenie.
See /usr/local/PupMenu/PM-Edit, lines 544-552. My reason for adding these common icon directories to /root/.gtk-bookmarks was to expedite the search for appropriate icons when using the Icon selector button of the Edit tab in PupMenuEdit. However, if you prefer, commenting lines 544-552 should prevent this behavior.
And I have a suggestion - PupMenu currently puts multiple items into the Utility menu - I think I'd prefer just one item in the Desktop menu as I think you can get to all the other components using PupMenu as the "master" - am I right in this assumption? I can make this change locally in my build without disturbing your .pet .....
Yes, I think would be correct.
I notice that there is quite a big pinstall.sh in the .pet that doesn't get run in a woof-ce install - are there any implications to watch out for?
Yes, the 'Recent Files' button of PupMenu calls a script which utilizes a basic Perl function that requires the Escape.pm extension. Unfortunately, the standard cut-down Perl of Puppy does not include Escape.pm, so it must be added.

It seems the location of built-in Perl extensions varies in different Pups. The pinstall script of PupMenu will check the current location of perl extensions for the host Puppy, then install Escape.pm and create the companion URI folder. For example, in LxPupSc the pertinent built-in perl extensions reside in /usr/share/perl5. So, in this scenario, the Escape.pm extension is copied to /usr/share/perl5, and Escape.pm is symlinked to /usr/share/perl5/URI (ln -sf /usr/share/perl5/Escape.pm /usr/share/perl5/URI). On the other hand, in debian/ubuntu based pups the pertinent built-in perl extensions are in the /usr/lib/perl/5.* directory. See the pinstall script, lines 19-22 for recent pups based on slackware, or lines 15-18 for debian/ubuntu pups.

I included the above code in the pinstall script for conventional installations of the PupMenu pet, but not for Woof installations where it might have consequences unknown to me. :)

Thanks peebee for considering PupMenu for LxPup.
Attachments
PME-LxPup-SC-17.08.1.png
(46.37 KiB) Downloaded 437 times
Recent_Files.png
(14.97 KiB) Downloaded 435 times

peebee

#86 Post by peebee »

Hi radky - thanks for the explanations....
radky wrote:In both installations, the Icon Viewer button of PupMenuEdit works fine for me
It does indeed work fine as a viewer - I think I was expecting it to be a button to allow the icon to be changed.....which in my case I would link to lxshortcut....
See /usr/local/PupMenu/PM-Edit, lines 544-552.
Could these lines be made into an external function so that they could be easily disabled without having to edit your source?
Yes, the 'Recent Files' button of PupMenu calls a script which utilizes a basic Perl function that requires the Escape.pm extension. Unfortunately, the standard cut-down Perl of Puppy does not include Escape.pm, so it must be added.
Maybe this indicates a woof-ce change is needed to amend the perl-tiny package template?
I already have a RecentFiles facility in LxPup so I'll probably configure PupMenu to use that for consistency.

I do like how easily configurable PupMenu is - congrats for the nice structuring....

Could the PupMenu display the Name= value rather than the Exec= value?

Cheers
peebee
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

peebee

#87 Post by peebee »

Could the editor button be active even if an item had not been selected - to take you direct into the editor? e.g. to recover an item which had been deactivated....otherwise you have to select a random item to activate the button. Thanks.

radky

#88 Post by radky »

It does indeed work fine as a viewer - I think I was expecting it to be a button to allow the icon to be changed.....which in my case I would link to lxshortcut....
The second tab of PupMenuEdit is the actual editor workspace, and from here you can change any component of the .desktop file incuding the assigned icon. All tabs of PupMenuEdit are linked such that changing an item in one tab will automatically update items in other tabs, and PME will also auto-update those changes in the application cache files. Maybe a button could be added to PupMenuEdit for calling lxshortcut, but any changes made by lxshortcut would not directly update the interface of PupMenuEdit.
Could these lines (544-552 in /usr/local/PupMenu/PM-Edit) be made into an external function so that they could be easily disabled without having to edit your source?
I can remove those lines in a future release.
Maybe this indicates a woof-ce change is needed to amend the perl-tiny package template?
:)
I do like how easily configurable PupMenu is - congrats for the nice structuring....
Thanks peebee!
Could the PupMenu display the Name= value rather than the Exec= value?
Probably! :)

The main GUI of PupMenu uses the names of .desktop files for the menu items displayed in the applications window. I personally prefer this nomenclature since the names are typically short and easily interpreted at a glance. In contrast, the descriptive Name= values tend to be longer and at times a bit difficult to read sequentially in a small window. Currently, for optional viewing of the descriptive Name= values, PupMenu offers the infobox viewer which is enabled/disabled in Preferences.

As time permits, I'll look at possibly adding an option to display menu items in the descriptive format for the man window.
Could the editor button be active even if an item had not been selected - to take you direct into the editor? e.g. to recover an item which had been deactivated....otherwise you have to select a random item to activate the button. Thanks.
The Launch and Edit button are designed for user-selected menu items only. However, at any time, a simple right click in the PupMenu applications window will take you directly to the menu editor. Or, you can go to the upper-right corner drop-down menu and choose the menu editor option. Both options provide quick access to the menu editor, while preserving the design of the Launch and Edit buttons.

Thanks

peebee

#89 Post by peebee »

radky wrote:Yes, the 'Recent Files' button of PupMenu calls a script which utilizes a basic Perl function that requires the Escape.pm extension. Unfortunately, the standard cut-down Perl of Puppy does not include Escape.pm, so it must be added.
https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/woof-CE/pull/1078

radky

#90 Post by radky »

Hi peebee,

Thank you for updating the perl-tiny package template in Woof-CE.

For the next release, I'll adjust PupMenu to automatically create the URI directory and associated symlink to the Escape.pm perl module.

torm

#91 Post by torm »

Just for fun..

Try to change a wallpaper,
if not using JWM
under tahr605(32b)..

or, maybe, type "wallpaper" in searchbox and hit "enter".. :D

Looks good with metacity.

radky

#92 Post by radky »

torm wrote:Just for fun..

Try to change a wallpaper,
if not using JWM
under tahr605(32b)..

or, maybe, type "wallpaper" in searchbox and hit "enter".. :D

Looks good with metacity.
Hi torm,

I'm currently in tahpup606-32bit.

Entering "wallpaper" in the searchbox returns two matches in the attached image below, and this looks correct to me.

BTW, the default behavior of PupMenu is to follow freedesktop.org criteria and exclude hidden menu items (i.e., NoDisplay=true) from the applications window, which is the same behavior as the standard Puppy menu.

However, if you want to include hidden menu items in the PupMenu applications window, go to Preferences -> Behavior tab -> select the option to 'Include hidden apps', and PupMenu will parse all menu items (including hidden items) when you use the searchbox.

Thanks for your comments. :)
Attachments
wallpaper.png
(27.94 KiB) Downloaded 498 times

radky

#93 Post by radky »

PupMenu-6.1
- Improve speed (2X) of PupMenu background processes, particularly while updating the applications cache
- Add lock-screen button to main GUI (Xlock)
- Update Recent Files module and improve integration with perl as implemented in Puppy. Effective 3-Sep-2017, Woof-CE supports the Escape.pm perl module (thanks peebee)
- Remove code which automatically adds icon folders to GTK bookmarks
- Bugfix: incomplete auto-updating of PME cache files

radky

#94 Post by radky »

PupMenu-6.2
- Adjust compatibility with recent Woof-CE modifications of Puppy directory structure (/root/Choices/MIME-types -> /etc/xdg/rox.sourceforge.net/MIME-types)

bigpup

#95 Post by bigpup »

Thanks for the update!
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)