gtk-youtube-viewer (for lots of pups)

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
icosahedron

#361 Post by icosahedron »

Hi Fred thanks for that update. I’ve deleted the entire folder where I placed the March package and installed 3.5.0 instead, and again it functions. :)

But... it’s still not playing most of the videos. Does this version need the dl updating from the outset?

I found the readme informative, and from that, I decided to poke about.

From the desktop, I found the icon labelled Console or Terminal.
Opened it.
Typed into the window at the cursor, the term:
yt-viewer-3.5.0_youtube-dl
and got:
bash: yt-viewer-3.5.0_youtube-dl: command not found

So I tried:
./yt-viewer-3.5.0_youtube-dl
and got:
bash: yt-viewer-3.5.0_youtube-dl: no such file or directory

Then I tried just:
./youtube-dl.cde -U
and got:
bash: ./youtube-dl.cde: no such file or directory.

Obviously I haven’t understood the instructions.
What can I try next?
Computers: - I just ride 'em, I dunno what makes 'em work.
Console/Terminal? What's that?
I visit the Internet to OBTAIN information, not to PROVIDE it! (Increase Internet Privacy)

fredx181

#362 Post by fredx181 »

roadkill13 wrote:In UpupBB18.05 I am getting this:
Can't locate WWW/YoutubeViewer/ParseXML.pm in @INC (you may need to install the WWW::YoutubeViewer::ParseXML module) (@INC contains: /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/i386-linux-gnu/perl/5.20.2 /usr/local/share/perl/5.20.2 /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/perl5/5.20 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/perl/5.20 /usr/share/perl/5.20 /usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at /usr/share/perl5/WWW/YoutubeViewer/GetCaption.pm line 149.

The module WWW::YoutubeViewer::ParseXML is required!

To install it, just type in terminal:
sudo cpan WWW::YoutubeViewer::ParseXML

=>> Previous warnings:
Thanks, re-uploaded, should be fixed now, see above EDIT.

@icosahedron

Also made another mistake: youtube-dl update didn't work, should be fixed now also.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 85#1008585
But... it’s still not playing most of the videos. Does this version need the dl updating from the outset?
Strange... although youtube-dl update didn't work, the version included was rather new and for me all video's play.
I always test with "Vevo" video's (they can be problematic).
Can you give example of video that doesn't play, so I can try to reproduce ?

For to update youtube-dl you need to open terminal in the extracted directory and:

Code: Select all

./youtube-dl.cde -U
(see pic)

Fred
Attachments
run_from_terminal_inside_folder.jpg
Terminal Here
(62.75 KiB) Downloaded 510 times

Argolance

#363 Post by Argolance »

Bonjour,
Works fine running Puppy Precise.
Thanks a lot!
Though...
fredx181 wrote:For to update youtube-dl you need to open terminal in the extracted directory and:
Code:
./youtube-dl.cde -U

# ./youtube-dl.cde -U
WARNING: Assuming --restrict-filenames since file system encoding cannot encode all characters. Set the LC_ALL environment variable to fix this.
ERROR: can't find the current version. Please try again later.
root@puppypc20694 /usr/local/gtk-youtube-viewer 
Question: is there a way to get gtk youtube viewer in an other language than English?

perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
	LANGUAGE = (unset),
	LC_ALL = (unset),
	LANG = "fr_FR.UTF-8"
    are supported and installed on your system.
perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").
roadkill13 wrote:In UpupBB18.05 I am getting this:
Quote:
Can't locate WWW/YoutubeViewer/ParseXML.pm in @INC (you may need to install the WWW::YoutubeViewer::ParseXML module) (@INC contains: /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/i386-linux-gnu/perl/5.20.2 /usr/local/share/perl/5.20.2 /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/perl5/5.20 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/perl/5.20 /usr/share/perl/5.20 /usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at /usr/share/perl5/WWW/YoutubeViewer/GetCaption.pm line 149.

The module WWW::YoutubeViewer::ParseXML is required!

sudo cpan WWW::YoutubeViewer::ParseXML

=>> Previous warnings:
ditto with some videos...

Cordialement.
Attachments
181031_160454_731x584_easyshot.jpg
(59.24 KiB) Downloaded 467 times

fredx181

#364 Post by fredx181 »

@Argolance Thanks for testing thoroughly !

Added the missing perl modules, re-uploaded, hopefully it's okay now.
Included youtube-dl is latest version and updating (in the future) should work now.
EDIT: Link removed, see here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 23#1008723

EDIT:
Question: is there a way to get gtk youtube viewer in an other language than English?

Not sure if possible, anyway I have no idea how.

Fred
Last edited by fredx181 on Thu 01 Nov 2018, 11:32, edited 1 time in total.

Argolance

#365 Post by Argolance »

Thank you! :)
This is what I get know:

Something went wrong...
Can't locate loadable object for module HTML::Parser in @INC (@INC contains: /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/i386-linux-gnu/perl/5.20.2 /usr/local/share/perl/5.20.2 /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/perl5/5.20 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/perl/5.20 /usr/share/perl/5.20 /usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/perl5/5.20/HTML/Entities.pm line 152.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/perl5/5.20/HTML/Entities.pm line 152.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/share/perl5/WWW/YoutubeViewer/GetCaption.pm line 163.

The module loadable object for module HTML::Parser in @INC (@INC contains: ::etc::perl ::usr::local::lib::i386-linux-gnu::perl::5.20.2 ::usr::local::share::perl::5.20.2 ::usr::lib::i386-linux-gnu::perl5::5.20 ::usr::share::perl5 ::usr::lib::i386-linux-gnu::perl::5.20 ::usr::share::perl::5.20 ::usr::local::lib::site_perl .) at ::usr::lib::i386-linux-gnu::perl5::5.20::HTML::Entities is required!

sudo cpan loadable object for module HTML::Parser in @INC (@INC contains: ::etc::perl ::usr::local::lib::i386-linux-gnu::perl::5.20.2 ::usr::local::share::perl::5.20.2 ::usr::lib::i386-linux-gnu::perl5::5.20 ::usr::share::perl5 ::usr::lib::i386-linux-gnu::perl::5.20 ::usr::share::perl::5.20 ::usr::local::lib::site_perl .) at ::usr::lib::i386-linux-gnu::perl5::5.20::HTML::Entities
Could you please add the date to the title of the gz file to make the difference between downloaded files?

Cordialement.

fredx181

#366 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Argolance,

Mmm.. more missing...
To be able to reproduce, a question:
What you did exactly ?
e.g. you get the error message at start of gtk-youtube-viewer or only when playing a specific video.

Fred

Argolance

#367 Post by Argolance »

What you did exactly ?
e.g. you get the error message at start of gtk-youtube-viewer or only when playing a specific video.
This happens while trying to watch some videos, not all. For example, the first one listed in the "Film & Animation" category, called "Monsters You didn't Know..."
Attachments
181031_214923_661x490_easyshot.jpg
The 4th works normally!
(49.57 KiB) Downloaded 420 times
181031_214534_703x458_easyshot.jpg
The first doesn't...
(55.47 KiB) Downloaded 431 times

fredx181

#368 Post by fredx181 »

Argolance wrote: This happens while trying to watch some videos, not all. For example, the first one listed in the "Film & Animation" category, called "Monsters You didn't Know..."
Merci beaucoup ! Now I could trace the problem better and fix it (date appended to download link now :wink: ).
EDIT: Link removed, see here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 23#1008723

Post edited here (EDIT 2018-11-01):
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 85#1008585

Fred
Last edited by fredx181 on Thu 01 Nov 2018, 11:32, edited 1 time in total.

icosahedron

#369 Post by icosahedron »

Hi Fred, thanks again. I’ve now replaced 3.5.0 with the latest 3.5.0 2018-11-01 and still can’t play many vids.

I’ve run through the -U in the right place (I think - at least it seemed to do something this time)

I got:
Warning: Assuming --restrict-filenames since filesystem encoding cannot encode all characters. Set the LC_ALL environment variable to fix this.
ERROR: Can’t find the current version. Please try again later.

I tried again later and got the same message. No surprise there. :roll:

FYI, I’m trying to play tracks by the band ‘Forever Still’.
There are only two on the first page of ten that will play - ‘The Last Day’, and ‘Fight’ (neither of which are ‘single’ material, btw). The other eight don’t play. This is typical of ratios I’m finding on other pages. And yeah, anything that says VEVO on it doesn’t play either.

As another example, none of the first ten offerings from the band ‘Beyond the Black’ will play for me, VEVO or not.

Maybe I should change my musical tastes, or just play funny cat videos instead? :)
I visit the Internet to OBTAIN information, not to PROVIDE it! (Increase Internet Privacy)

fredx181

#370 Post by fredx181 »

Hi icosahedron,
I’ve now replaced 3.5.0 with the latest 3.5.0 2018-11-01 and still can’t play many vids.
I cannot reproduce, sorry, tested on some old pups (Lupu, Wary, Tahr) and all video's from "Forever Still" play for me.
Any message you get when a video doesn't play ?
I’ve run through the -U in the right place (I think - at least it seemed to do something this time)

I got:
Warning: Assuming --restrict-filenames since filesystem encoding cannot encode all characters. Set the LC_ALL environment variable to fix this.
ERROR: Can’t find the current version. Please try again later.

The first is just a warning, I think it can be ignored.
The error I also can't reproduce, I get:

youtube-dl is up-to-date (2018.10.29)
But the problem you have isn't caused by a too old version of youtube-dl (latest included)

EDIT: @all Can anyone else try to play video's from "Forever Still" ?

Fred

Smithy

#371 Post by Smithy »

Forever Still Vids Playing ok for me, BUT all stopped working a few days ago.
Had to do the curl code in the artful pet, the one that puts the new youtube dl py file in usr/local/bin. The other code youtube-dl says bash command not found or something.
I've made a clickable .sh update file for it, but would be cool if it was in the main script Fred. Not a biggie, just glad to be able to watch an occasional youtube vid, since every bugger seems tied to it now. Are google custodians of everyone's life now.

icosahedron

#372 Post by icosahedron »

Yeah, my problems started a few days ago.

Firefox 37 was playing everything just fine until this weekend, I gather Youtube has switched to something called HTML5, and Firefox 37 won't read the new formats.

Any Firefox newer than 37 crashes in my Lupu 525, so I was looking for alternatives, and stumbled across this thread.

Unfortunately, although the gtk viewer seems to work for you guys, It's not providing me with significantly better access than FF37.

There's no error message, just nothing happens. Maybe the inability to play videos, that you can't reproduce, is linked to the error message that you can't reproduce?

Does it matter where the viewer is installed? I dropped mine in usr-lib, where FF37 is.

Argolance

#373 Post by Argolance »

Bonjour,
The error I also can't reproduce, I get:
I got the same and couldn't update youtube-dlI until I found the reason for this error. Running the script youtube-dl.cde in console shows that youtube-dl is searched in the /cde-root/sbin directory:

root@puppypc28983 /usr/local/gtk-youtube-viewer 
# HERE="$(dirname "$(readlink -f "${0}")")"
root@puppypc28983 /usr/local/gtk-youtube-viewer 
# cd "$HERE/cde-root" && ../cde-exec 'youtube-dl -U
> '
../cde-exec: youtube-dl -U
: command not found (path_to_search=/usr/local/gtk-youtube-viewer/cde-root/sbin/youtube-dl -U
)
root@puppypc28983 /usr/local/gtk-youtube-viewer/cde-root 
... while it is in /cde-root/usr/local/bin

root@puppypc28983 /usr/local/gtk-youtube-viewer/cde-root/usr/local/bin 
# ./youtube-dl -U
youtube-dl is up-to-date (2018.10.29)
root@puppypc28983 /usr/local/gtk-youtube-viewer/cde-root/usr/local/bin 
Run from /cde-root/usr/local/bin, youtube-dl is correctly updated.

The videos I couldn't play work now.
Thanks.

But, concerning "Forever Still":

ERROR: Unable to download webpage: <urlopen error [SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED] certificate verify failed (_ssl.c:581)> (caused by URLError(SSLError(1, u'[SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED] certificate verify failed (_ssl.c:581)'),))
[EDIT]:
@Smithy
Our messages crossed paths...

Cordialement.

fredx181

#374 Post by fredx181 »

Hi All, thanks for the replies :D

Good news and bad news.
The good news is that I found the problem, the bad news is that Xarchiver cannot be trusted.
Ughh... should have known earlier. :evil:
It was a mystery that I couldn't reproduce some problems until I downloaded and extracted the tar.gz.
Then I could reproduce the problem that the videos from "Forever Still didn't play and also the youtube-dl update didn't work.
All because of some broken symlinks.
Lesson for me: Never use Xarchiver again !
Now I used command line:

tar cvzf yt-viewer-3.5.0_youtube-dl-2018-11-01-fixed-symlinks.tar.gz yt-viewer-3.5.0_youtube-dl
And no broken symlinks. (and all working fine for me)
I'm not sure why Xarchiver works the way it does, I noticed that it doesn't include empty folders.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/sxo ... ar.gz?dl=1

@Smithy I will try to fix the pet packages in the next days, some perl stuff missing (see earlier posts, HTML etc...)

Fred

Argolance

#375 Post by Argolance »

Thank you.
Everything is perfect now, except I don't have the sound anymore! :?

Something else: just for test and not essential: I tried unsuccessfully to make links in /cde-root/usr/bin to /usr/bin/vlc, mplayer etc. already installed on my Puppy and even replacing the /cde-root/usr/bin/mpv with a link to /usr/bin/mpv but all complain about their missing libs...
Too bad!
Isn't there some way around that?

Question: wouldn't it be interesting to integrate the update command directly into the script gtk-youtube-viewer.cde, quietly or with a small yad window that warns of a new update available?

fredx181

#376 Post by fredx181 »

Argolance wrote:Everything is perfect now, except I don't have the sound anymore!
Yeah.., very perfect :roll: Weird... sound works for me.
Did you try again ? Maybe sound was disabled at the mpv screen (was set to -/1 see pic)

Anyway, I wasn't satisfied already with the included mpv (if I remember well it uses OSS sound rather than ALSA), so here's another "package" with included the mpv from precise .pet here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 332#859332
Size is more than 10MB bigger (extracted), because of that.

EDIT: Oh, on systems that have gl support (e.g. libgl1-mesa-dri package installed) that mpv doesn't work OOTB, workaround can be changing video output in the Preferences to:
(by adding "--vo xv" to the args)

mpv => {
                                             arg   => "--really-quiet --vo xv --title *TITLE* --no-ytdl",
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/3ws ... ar.gz?dl=1
(named it yt-viewer-3.5.1..... now)

Didn't think this would become a sort of development thread. Much more issues than I expected !

EDIT:
Something else: just for test and not essential: I tried unsuccessfully to make links in /cde-root/usr/bin to /usr/bin/vlc, mplayer etc. already installed on my Puppy and even replacing the /cde-root/usr/bin/mpv with a link to /usr/bin/mpv but all complain about their missing libs...
Too bad!
Isn't there some way around that?
I think the only way is to add the required libs in the cde-root (e.g. in cde-root/usr/lib)
It's a closed environment, so cannot "look" outside AFAIK.

Fred
Attachments
2018-11-01-152349_183x119_scrot.png
(14.55 KiB) Downloaded 1034 times
Last edited by fredx181 on Thu 01 Nov 2018, 16:05, edited 2 times in total.

icosahedron

#377 Post by icosahedron »

Yay! My vids play now. :D

Dunno what you did with the symlinks, whatever they are, but it fixed it. The latest version works a treat - and I've got sound.

No doubt my Firefox, and my Puppy, will sink further and further into obsolescence, for more and more sites, as time goes on, but for now everything's great.

Thanks for the help, guys, and if my struggles have helped in some small way with your development of the viewer, that's great too. :)

Cheers.

fredx181

#378 Post by fredx181 »

icosahedron wrote:Yay! My vids play now. :D

Dunno what you did with the symlinks, whatever they are, but it fixed it. The latest version works a treat - and I've got sound.

No doubt my Firefox, and my Puppy, will sink further and further into obsolescence, for more and more sites, as time goes on, but for now everything's great.

Thanks for the help, guys, and if my struggles have helped in some small way with your development of the viewer, that's great too. :)

Cheers.
Great !!
Yes, sure you helped, feedback always does, thanks !

Fred

Argolance

#379 Post by Argolance »

Bonjour,
Now sound works!
fredx181 wrote:Maybe sound was disabled at the mpv screen (was set to -/1 see pic)
The sound was marked as off (-/1) but nothing to do to enable it. :oops:
Didn't think this would become a sort of development thread. Much more issues than I expected !
In reality, it's always the same song with programs and computers but I think you're at the end of your rope now! :D

Thank you for all.
Cordialement.

Argolance

#380 Post by Argolance »

Bonjour,
As I wanted gtk youtube viewer to be fully integrated to my Puppy, I did a little script (rough coding, which could probably be improved/shortened but working well!) that I would like to share with those who would be interested. :roll:

Steps to be followed:
  • - Replace /cde-root/usr/share/fonts with a link to the standard Puppy /usr/share/fonts (copy first the "oxygen.ttf" font if you want to keep/use it)
    - Replace /cde-root/usr/share/themes with a link to the standard Puppy /usr/share/themes
    - Replace the original gtk-youtube-viewer.cde with "my" gtk-youtube-viewer.cde (note that the auto update of youtube-dl may be disabled/commented)
    - Copy gtkthemeinteg in the same directory.
Now, when you start gtkyoutube viewer it is automatically displayed using you current gtk theme!
I added 2 desktop files (youtube-dl-update.desktop and youtube-viewer.desktop) to be copied to /usr/share/applications/ and 2 icons to be copied to /usr/share/pixmaps/. Desktop files has to be modified to take the current gtk youtube directory into account. Here it is /usr/local/gtk-youtube-viewer/ I chose for my own use.
Refresh the menu for entries to be displayed.

Cordialement.
Attachments
ytgtktheme-integ.tar.gz
(12.94 KiB) Downloaded 342 times
gtkyoutubeviewer.jpg
(106.54 KiB) Downloaded 971 times