IP4CUPS - a Network Printer Tool

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
rcrsn51

IP4CUPS - a Network Printer Tool

#1 Post by rcrsn51 »

Last edited by rcrsn51 on Wed 29 Apr 2020, 17:05, edited 47 times in total.

ralplpcr

#2 Post by ralplpcr »

FYI - I'm not seeing any ip4cups-1.3.pet attached in this post. Did you miss attaching it?

starhawk

#3 Post by starhawk »

I'm not seeing an attachment, either... a pity -- I'd love to have that feature.

starhawk

#4 Post by starhawk »

The dotPET was PM'd to me.

I followed the instructions in this thread almost exactly to the letter. The only thing I did differently was to delete the existing printer install as I was effectively reinstalling the printer a different way.

Success!

If I could ask one small favor...

I have an extremely unusual Internet situation, in that my router has to be reset at least once a day due to heat. It's actually not a defective router -- it's an uncaring ISP -- we have Verizon and the signal is so weak that the router overheats pulling it in. (Of course if we want a better signal we have to move... there literally are no other options in our area. I've looked.) There are literally not enough swear words in the English language to do proper justice to that vile corporation.

Is there a way to turn this into a sort of a daemon sort of a thing that runs automatically whenever the 'Net is lost and then reconnected again? (Maybe by detecting whenever Puppy receives an IP address of its own?)

rcrsn51

#5 Post by rcrsn51 »

Glad to hear that IP4CUPS works for you. The previous versions were downloaded many hundreds of times and I never got a single report back.

Regarding the daemon: maybe you could set up a cron job that simply runs the ip4cups script at regular intervals. There is no problem if you run ip4cups when the IP address has NOT changed.

Or just add it to your Startup folder.

uio

#6 Post by uio »

Hi - just wondering if the IP4CUPS pet is here ; I don't see it... oh I see that one should PM you - will do.
uio