Legacy OS 4 Mini Released

News, happenings
umair

#91 Post by umair »

Hi Eyes-Only:
I tried as u mentioned but no luck.
Hi muggins:
I forgot that from where I downloaded the sfs file. Could U or anybody tell me that How I can use Open Office in Legacy OS?
Thnx in advance
UMAIR

muggins

#92 Post by muggins »

Hello Umair,

unfortunately I'm unable to specifically advise you on John's LegacyOS. I'm unaware if the sfs converter is included with it, or not.

But, in general, I've never had any problem getting OOffice working, (with any version of puppy), by directly downloading it from:

http://www.openoffice.org/download/other.html

extracting it to /mnt/home, then symlinking relevant binaries to /usr/bin.

Or, perhaps Scott Jarvis's Akita Linux repository would be more suitable to using with Legacy. He has an OOffice .pet available here:

http://akita.scottjarvis.com/

umair

#93 Post by umair »

muggins wrote:Hello Umair,

unfortunately I'm unable to specifically advise you on John's LegacyOS. I'm unaware if the sfs converter is included with it, or not.

But, in general, I've never had any problem getting OOffice working, (with any version of puppy), by directly downloading it from:

http://www.openoffice.org/download/other.html

extracting it to /mnt/home, then symlinking relevant binaries to /usr/bin.

Or, perhaps Scott Jarvis's Akita Linux repository would be more suitable to using with Legacy. He has an OOffice .pet available here:

http://akita.scottjarvis.com/
Hi Muggins:
Thnx for reply.
I will try those n will post the results soon.
Can any body tell me that the repositroy of Loegacy OS 2 will work on Legacy Os-4 or not? The link is:
http://puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net/ ... epository/
regards
UMAIR

john biles

#94 Post by john biles »

Hello umair,
While I don't recommend using Legacy OS 2 apps in Legacy OS 4 I know that a number of apps do work. Personally I recommend you boot up a live version of Legacy OS 4 and experiment to see what works and doesn't before trying to add them to your Hard Drive install.
Legacy OS 2 contains a lot of base libs Legacy OS 4 doesn't so a number of apps will complain of missing dependencies.
If you start them from terminal using the ldd command for example ldd ./gimp a long list of dependencies gimp relies on will be displayed. This list will tell you if anything is missing. Now you'll need to track down any missing dependencies which can take a bit of time, I know as I spent 100's of hours putting it all together.
I wish you luck as life for me is very busy outside of Linux which isn't giving me much time at all to check the forum for your posts.
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

umair

#95 Post by umair »

john biles wrote:Hello umair,
While I don't recommend using Legacy OS 2 apps in Legacy OS 4 I know that a number of apps do work. Personally I recommend you boot up a live version of Legacy OS 4 and experiment to see what works and doesn't before trying to add them to your Hard Drive install.
Legacy OS 2 contains a lot of base libs Legacy OS 4 doesn't so a number of apps will complain of missing dependencies.
If you start them from terminal using the ldd command for example ldd ./gimp a long list of dependencies gimp relies on will be displayed. This list will tell you if anything is missing. Now you'll need to track down any missing dependencies which can take a bit of time, I know as I spent 100's of hours putting it all together.
I wish you luck as life for me is very busy outside of Linux which isn't giving me much time at all to check the forum for your posts.
Hi John:
Thnx for reply, I got Ur Point.
I will try different things according to my knowledge and as u mentioned , will post the result, if it works.
Regards
UMAIR

umair

#96 Post by umair »

Hello Every One:
I have a issue in Legacy Os-4,
I m not able to connect to my yahoo accounts through Pidgin Messenger.
Here is the screen shot
Note: I m running Legacy OS-4 from live USB
Any Idea ?
Regards
UMAIR

umair

#97 Post by umair »

umair wrote:Hello Every One:
I have a issue in Legacy Os-4,
I m not able to connect to my yahoo accounts through Pidgin Messenger.
Here is the screen shot
Note: I m running Legacy OS-4 from live USB
Any Idea ?
Regards
UMAIR
Pidgin is now working nicely in Legacy Os-4 now,
I tested pidgin before on a machine which was connected to internet through
proxy server. I tried different puppy flavors to work pidgin on a proxy server setup. But no success. Thn tried on a direct Internet connection machine n this time it works nicely. So the problem is in pidgin Messenger, not in Legacy OS-4 :-)
UMAIR

oligin10

Can't change them in Icewm

#98 Post by oligin10 »

Hi umair, I assume you are still running Legacy OS 4 Mini. Could you do me a favor and check (with a live cd, so as to not mess up your install) and see if you can change themes in icewm? I have tried to change from default and every time I do, it sends cpu to 100% and freezes up icewm. I have tried this on 2 different computers, and tried burning a new disc. Still the same results. Thanks, Rob

umair

Re: Can't change them in Icewm

#99 Post by umair »

oligin10 wrote:Hi umair, I assume you are still running Legacy OS 4 Mini. Could you do me a favor and check (with a live cd, so as to not mess up your install) and see if you can change themes in icewm? I have tried to change from default and every time I do, it sends cpu to 100% and freezes up icewm. I have tried this on 2 different computers, and tried burning a new disc. Still the same results. Thanks, Rob
Hi Rob:
I will try and post the result very sooon.
UMAIR

oligin10

Thanks

#100 Post by oligin10 »

Thanks umair, I appreciate the help. Rob

umair

#101 Post by umair »

Rob:
I have tested the Legacy OS-4 from live cd mode thn changed the icewm thems. I am also facing the same problem as you. tried on two different systems but the result was same. We may ask the John about this thread. Hope that he should better idea.
Thnx
UMAIR

oligin10

thanks

#102 Post by oligin10 »

Thanks umair for the help. I will send John a pm if he doesn't notice this. I just wanted to verify other people were unable to change themes also. Thanks again, Rob

slenkar

#103 Post by slenkar »

I tried legacyos 4 with my Intel graphics card, whenever I play a youtube video flash crashes when I do something else fairly intensive like loading another webpage, this doenst happen with legacyos 2 or other puppies so 'its a mystery'.

I would use one of those youtube downloader apps for puppy but they dont let you look at your subscriptions.

john biles

#104 Post by john biles »

Hello slenkar,
I tried legacyos 4 with my Intel graphics card, whenever I play a youtube video flash crashes when I do something else fairly intensive like loading another webpage, this doenst happen with legacyos 2 or other puppies so 'its a mystery'.
As Legacy OS 4 Mini is based on Puppy 4.2.1 if you have a copy see if youtube still crashes with that. When Legacy OS 4 Mini was released it came with Firefox 5.0 if you select "Help" in Firefox this will cause Firefox to start updating to a newer version until you end up with the current version 16.0.1 Maybe this will fix your crashing problem?

Also does it crash using Opera?

Hello umair & oligin10,
Icewm themes are stored at /usr/share/icewm/themes this is where they should be copied to.
A problem can arise because someone writing a theme normally creates it with the version of icewm which was available at the time the theme was written. This can lead to the theme not working 100% when it's run with a different version of icewm to the one it was created on.

One question is can you swap between the themes already included in legacy OS 4 Mini?

oligin10

Themes

#105 Post by oligin10 »

Hi John, thanks for noticing our question. No, I am only using your installed themes, making no changes, not even doing network setup. Theme switcher seems to be broken. If I try to change from your default theme, icewm refuses to restart with task bar or karamba. CPU usage seems to go to max, and that is as far as it gets. Task bar does not start at all, and karamba appears when right clicking on desktop, but then disappears. Theme switcher worked in 2010 Mini beta. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Rob

john biles

#106 Post by john biles »

Do these themes work?

Unzip and copy to /usr/share/icewm/themes
Attachments
XP.tar.gz
(80.21 KiB) Downloaded 974 times

john biles

#107 Post by john biles »

Hello oligin10,
Try this; During development I experienced the same problem you have.
I discovered that if I waited long enough (maybe 10 minutes) the theme would load and karamba would also come back.

I'm about to go to work and are doing a 12 hour shift so may not be able to reply for till tomorrow...

Lastly with the large amount of different Hardware out there it is impossible for all configurations to work as expected. Most of us using Linux would have discovered even Ubuntu, Fedora etc with their team of programmers can't get their distro working with ever setup.
One advantage Microsoft has is the Hardware Manufacturer work hand in hand with Microsoft during development which is something Linux doesn't have at the moment.

oligin10

no problem

#108 Post by oligin10 »

Thanks John. No hurry. If you can help with this, that would be great. If not, I will try to find a workaround. I already used petbegone and removed your icewm, and reinstalled exact same version. That works, but it removes your settings. I will keep working on this also, and if I find a solution I will post it. This is not specific to my hardware though, as I tried two different computers, nothing in common except Intel. Not sure what umair tested with though. Thanks again for this great distro. I left it for a while, but after testing ndiswrapper, I have found this to meet and exceed all my needs except for itunes. Thanks again, Rob

oligin10

Found a Fix

#109 Post by oligin10 »

OK, here is a fix I found that will correct problem. First, download petbegone v0.4, "http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=17035"
second, download 0pkgs_db-4.21
third, copy icewm from usr/share/icewm to a temp storage area
fourth, reboot into jwm
fifth, run petbegone and remove icewm
sixth, restartx
seventh, reinstall icewm from legacyos package manager
eighth, restartx
ninth, restart icewm from shutdown menu
tenth, delete usr/share/icewm
eleventh, copy your saved icewm and put it back in usr/share

This worked for me, hope it helps someone else. Thanks, Rob

slenkar

#110 Post by slenkar »

john biles wrote:Hello slenkar,
hi thanks for answering,

I was using Opera,
I tried Firefox just now and it behaves very well thanks

when I unzip the iso file for legacyos 2 or 4 and boot the kernel from grub4dos legacyos 2 or 4 cant see the saved sfs files so its like a new install every time I start it up. Also gparted and the universal installer cant see my partitions but pdrive can. So Ill have to wait til I get some blank cd's to install it.