Upgrading Seamonkey- with no packages

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
ellgor

#1 Post by ellgor »

Hi,

Seamonkey can be upgraded by using the help menu in Seamonkey and by clicking on "Check for Updates", this will then check for any advances on your current version and will automatically download and install it for you.

I found this out after much searching for packages etc., and also noticed others doing the same so thought I'd help someone along.

Regards, Ellgor.

Dewbie

#2 Post by Dewbie »

With a frugal installation, updating SeaMonkey all the time will bloat your save file and possibly cause other problems.
PenguinPupLin mentioned this here.
You might want to check it out.

Monsie

#3 Post by Monsie »

Hi ellgor,

This feature is not necessarily available in SeaMonkey. For example, I do not have it included with SeaMonkey 2.6.1 in Wary Puppy. I assume this is because Barry removed this feature deliberately when compiling SeaMonkey for Wary in order to remove the risk of breaking the desktop environment.

If I were to try a later version of SeaMonkey, I would install to the /usr/local directory or to the /opt directory instead so as not to risk creating any conflicts.

Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

majorfoo

#4 Post by majorfoo »

I was running Seamonkey 2.9 and today it auto updated to Seamnokey 2.9.1.

I had no problems while running Seamonkey 2.9.which was recently installed from
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... ges-lucid/

using the seamonkey lucid-2.9 pet in the luci 001-005 and lupu-528 series

dk60902

#5 Post by dk60902 »

I'm using Puppy 5.3.2.4, running from a live CD. My save file is in my first partition with WinXP. The desktop also dual boots with Ubuntu 10.04. The Seamonkey browser is version 2.7. I wanted to upgrade to 2.9.1. I downloaded the file (.tar.bz file) from the Seamonkey website, and followed the instructions to install. Briefly, I created a seamonkey2 directory, downloaded the tar.bz file to it, extracted it in this directory. Then, I changed the directory to the seamonkey, which appeared after extracting it. I then ran the command "./seamonkey" without the parantheses. It seemed to upgrade. However, if I close the browser or reboot, and then open Seamonkey, it reverts back to 2.7. What am I doing wrong?

Monsie

#6 Post by Monsie »

Hi dk60902,

You are not doing anything wrong per se. From your description, what you have done is installed a second instance of SeaMonkey, (a newer version) and that is fine. Browser upgrades do not always work, so this is a safe method when you want to try out a newer version.

To run SeaMonkey 2.9.1 you can use the Terminal again if you don't mind using the command line. Another way would be to create a symlink to your seamonkey-bin file so that you can start the browser with a single click.

Here's one way to create a symlink:
  • Open Rox-Filer and navigate to your SeaMonkey 2.9.1 directory
    Open Rox-Filer a second time and navigate to my-applications folder
    Drag your seamonkey shell script from your SeaMonkey 2.9.1 directory and drop it in my-applications folder
    A menu will pop up asking you whether to copy, move, or link... choose link (absolute)
    Done
From now on, just click on the symlink in my-applications folder and you have fast easy access.

Hope this helps,
Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

dk60902

Re: Upgrading Seamonkey- with no packages

#7 Post by dk60902 »

Monsie wrote:Hi dk60902,

You are not doing anything wrong per se. From your description, what you have done is installed a second instance of SeaMonkey, (a newer version) and that is fine. Browser upgrades do not always work, so this is a safe method when you want to try out a newer version.

To run SeaMonkey 2.9.1 you can use the Terminal again if you don't mind using the command line. Another way would be to create a symlink to your seamonkey-bin file so that you can start the browser with a single click.

Drag your seamonkey shell script from your SeaMonkey 2.9.1 directory and drop it in my-applications folder
    A menu will pop up asking you whether to copy, move, or link... choose link (absolute)
    Done
From now on, just click on the symlink in my-applications folder and you have fast easy access.

Hope this helps,
Monsie
Thx for the suggestion Monsie. I'll give that a try.

dk60902

Re: Upgrading Seamonkey- with no packages

#8 Post by dk60902 »

Monsie wrote:Hi dk60902,

Done

Hope this helps,
Monsie
OK, I went to my seamonkey file. Which file would be the shell script? Would it be run-mozilla.sh? If so, I linked (absolute) to the my-applications folder. I clicked it and nothings happens.

Monsie

Upgrading Seamonkey-with no packages

#9 Post by Monsie »

Hi dk60902,

My apologies for not replying right away... as I've been busy.

If you haven't solved this yet, the file that you can symlink is simply called seamonkey and it is a shell script even though it doesn't show the sh extension. I guess that part is confusing, but you can comfirm that seamonkey is indeed a shell script by right-clicking on it and selecting: Properties

Monsie