Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 26 Nov 2014, 07:19
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects » Localization Project
NoteCase
Moderators: Lobster, MU, raffy
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
L18L

PostPosted: Wed 21 Mar 2012, 13:42    Post_subject:  NoteCase
Sub_title: translations

NoteCase in Menu > Personal

Several languages need update
see http://notecase.sourceforge.net/catalogs.html please
musher0

PostPosted: Thu 22 Mar 2012, 02:23    Post_subject:  

Hello, L18L.

Just went to the notecase site. Thanks for the link.

As for my language, I don't see the need for an update to fr_CA if fr_FR is ok. At this level of language (not colloquial), fr_CA and fr_FR are one and the same in my opinion -- there may be minute differences, but nothing to bat an eyelid at. Simply an hyperlink in the locale folder from fr_CA to fr proper will do the trick.

I hope your call is heard for other languages.

TWYL,

L18L

PostPosted: Thu 22 Mar 2012, 14:05    Post_subject: fr_CA  

Hello musher0 (packer of langpack_fr_CA Laughing )
you wrote:
... I don't see the need for an update to fr_CA if fr_FR is ok. At this level of language (not colloquial), fr_CA and fr_FR are one and the same in my opinion -- there may be minute differences, but nothing to bat an eyelid at. Simply an hyperlink in the locale folder from fr_CA to fr proper will do the trick...

gettext will automatically use fr if there is no fr_CA
Just ignoring fr_CA is even simpler than linking.

If you think some phrases are different in Canada and you like your language then the fr_CA may contain just the different translations
musher0

PostPosted: Thu 22 Mar 2012, 16:00    Post_subject:  

Hello L18L.

You wrote:
> Hello musher0 (packer of langpack_fr_CA )

Now don't you start any rumours !!! Very Happy

Thanks for the info: I didn't know you could be that precise with language files. As I mentioned earlier, I don't consider fr_CA to be a language different from fr_FR. I don't see the point in redoing the excellent translation work the French-from-France team did. (J.-J. Moulinier and Cy.) On occasion, I have mentioned to him / them some remarks about expressions they used that made me cringe, and that's it.

Of course, "joual" is quite different from "argot", but those are very colloquial "dialects", shall we say -- and you never see words of these in program menus. (Although it might be a fun exercise to make a notecase language file in fr_JOUAL only for use in the Saint-Henri [Montréal] or Saint-Roch [Quebec City] neighbourhoods !!! [hehehe]). However peculiar, "joual" shouldn't be considered as representative of Canadian French.

All jokes aside, I believe in the Ockham's Razor Principle, and accordingly, that we should NOT multiply logical beings needlessly.

That has happened and still happens a lot in PuppyLinux, unfortunately, at many levels. In my opinion, the best Puppy distros are from those authors who applied Ockham's Principle, and thus skimmed and regrouped in their work the most successful try-outs from other community members. Only my 2 cents, obviously.

TWYL | ALP

Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects » Localization Project
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum