Precise Puppy RC2, October 20, 2012

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
LateAdopter

#151 Post by LateAdopter »

BarryK wrote:
01micko wrote:GLX not working:
/var/log/Xorg.0.log wrote:[ 3423.088] (EE) AIGLX error: dlopen of /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/dri/nouveau_dri.so failed (libLLVM-3.0.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
[ 3423.088] (EE) AIGLX: reverting to software rendering
[ 3423.088] (II) AIGLX: Screen 0 is not DRI capable
[ 3423.089] (EE) AIGLX error: dlopen of /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/dri/swrast_dri.so failed (libLLVM-3.0.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
[ 3423.089] (EE) GLX: could not load software renderer
Oh... crap. File 'nouveau_dri.so' is in package:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise/libgl1-mesa-dri

And it has this dependency:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise/libllvm3.0

...look at the size of that package!!!!

I wonder if we could compile it ourselves to not have that dependency? Anyway, for now I will add it.
I have just tried these packages, but I think they may not be the right ones.

They do load AIGLX successfully but Hardinfo reports this:

Code: Select all

-OpenGL-
Vendor		: VMware, Inc.
Renderer		: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 0x300)
Version		: 2.1 Mesa 8.0.2
Direct Rendering		: Yes
Fatdog 600a2 also has working AIGLX, but Hardinfo reports this:

-OpenGL-
Vendor		: X.Org
Renderer		: Gallium 0.4 on AMD RS880
Version		: 2.1 Mesa 8.0.2
Direct Rendering		: Yes
I think the VMware bits are not what we are looking for.

Perhaps Kirk/jamesbond would know what is wanted. Fatdog uses the same version of Xorg as Precise.

sszindian

UMplayer

#152 Post by sszindian »

Billtoo:

It would be nice if you could turn that UMplayer you compiled into a .pet and upload it here so some of us could test it in Precise?

I noticed the little 'save icon' in the background of your umplayer graphic you posted on this thread. Can I assume you are also running Precise from a multi-session CD/DVD? If you are... I downloaded and installed the 'fast patch .pet' (glibc-2.10.1-1-w5c.pet) that BK made available and sorry to say... it locked my computer solid... no functions or programs would work at all... even killed a few of the desktop Pwidget functions...had to do a cold shutdown with the computer button! Thankfully I was using a multi-session CD and it didn't currupt Precise or hurt anything... just thought you would like to know.

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

Billtoo

Re: UMplayer

#153 Post by Billtoo »

sszindian wrote:Billtoo:

It would be nice if you could turn that UMplayer you compiled into a .pet and upload it here so some of us could test it in Precise?

I noticed the little 'save icon' in the background of your umplayer graphic you posted on this thread. Can I assume you are also running Precise from a multi-session CD/DVD? If you are... I downloaded and installed the 'fast patch .pet' (glibc-2.10.1-1-w5c.pet) that BK made available and sorry to say... it locked my computer solid... no functions or programs would work at all... even killed a few of the desktop Pwidget functions...had to do a cold shutdown with the computer button! Thankfully I was using a multi-session CD and it didn't currupt Precise or hurt anything... just thought you would like to know.

>>>---Indian------>
Hi, I'm running Precise on a 4gb flash drive.
I just made a umplayer pet and it's 11mb because the new2dir script doesn't work and I had to use the dir2pet script.
It also needs qt which is around 44mb.
The qt and umplayer pets in pemasu's puppy might work in Precise.

I also tried Geoffrey's QupZilla (Saluki thread) pet in Precise and after adding a lib from packages.ubuntu.com it works.

Sorry but I'm not posting the qt482 and umplayer pets that I made.

gcmartin

#154 Post by gcmartin »

BarryK wrote:For the multi-session CD/DVD, there is a way of doing, but gee, that is a long time ago, I don't recall....
BK and others, there seems to be a technology present which allows CD/DVD to boot and do 1 of the following:
  1. Present User with a selection of any SFSs found in CD/DVD root path (found in TaZoC's LightHouse64)
  2. Load them automatically without selections (found in 01Micko's Slacko)
Does Woof support exist for either???

Here to help

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: UMplayer

#155 Post by BarryK »

sszindian wrote:Billtoo:

>>>---Indian------>
Why did you install glibc pet from Wary into Precise Puppy? It is totally incompatible.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

LateAdopter

#156 Post by LateAdopter »

I tried enabling KMS with the Radeon R600 , but there is a version mismatch error in the xorg log.

[    13.257] (EE) RADEON(0): [dri] RADEONDRIGetVersion failed because of a version mismatch.
[dri] This chipset requires a kernel module version of 1.17.0,
[dri] but the kernel reports a version of 2.12.0.[dri] Make sure your module is loaded prior to starting X, and
[dri] that this driver was built with support for KMS.
[dri] Aborting.
Would it be because the kernel was compiled in Wary?

The R600 version in Precise requires KMS and DRI2 in order to work properly

sszindian

'glibc'

#157 Post by sszindian »

BK Wrote:
Why did you install glibc pet from Wary into Precise Puppy? It is totally incompatible.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sszindian wrote:

The way your 'Blog' states... it's very easy for one to assume that this has been a 'Problem For ALL Puppy's' up to and including Precise even though the download was from Wary!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your Blog:
Gconv-modules cache
This is amazing. Pemasu and Radky have been puzzling over why gtkdialog-based applications are slow to startup. The amazing thing is, they have found out why, and found the fix. This can shave noticeable startup time off of some apps! And we thought that Puppy was already super-fast!

Here is pemasu's report:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &start=105

The problem is that Puppy lacks the cache file /usr/lib/gconv/gconv-modules.cache, which is a compiled data file. The file is created in the Glibc source package when it is compiled, but we never put it into Puppy.

The matter is made worse, because Puppy has always had a cutdown selection of files in /usr/lib/gconv. Therefore, using the cache file as-is is not correct.

I wrote a little script that creates a cutdown /usr/lib/gconv/gconv-modules, and then a correct /usr/lib/gconv/gconv-modules.cache is generated using the 'iconvconfig' executable.

The correct files, including the script, are now in Woof, in the 'glibc' template, in /usr/lib/gconv-cut, and FIXUPHACK updates /usr/lib/gconv. Woof commit:
http://bkhome.org/fossil/woof2.cgi/info/36a75da77e

I also put the corrected files into the 'glibc' PET package for Wary. See:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/pet_pa ... -1-w5c.pet

Note: I posted a 'gconv-modules.cache' to the Forum, however that one is not quite correct. The files in the Woof commit are the latest.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Soooo.... sorry about... that but at least now you know what effect it has on Precise :wink:

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

shinobar

gconv-modules.cache

#158 Post by shinobar »

radky wrote:Yes, this significantly improves load times for gtkdialog programs. For example, on my system with Precise alpha3, PupScan loads in 9 seconds with the updated gconv-modules and gconv-modules.cache, compared to 14 seconds without the updated files.
I cannot understand your example. The time 9-14 sec for PupScan is mainly scanning time. Try ffconvert. It instantly gives gtkdialog 'Wait...' message no matter gconv-modules.cache. It must be less than 1 sec even with slow CPU.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

Ted Dog

UDF HYBRID can't find main sfs file

#159 Post by Ted Dog »

In Racy 5.3 UDF boot disks for large sized files on Blu-Ray burn with this growisofs

growisofs -use-the-force-luke=notray  -Z /dev/sr0  -f -iso-level 3 -D -R  -allow-limited-size -udf -V \"Wary_5_3\" -p root -publisher \"Ted_Dog\"  -b isolinux.bin -c boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table ./
Boots without a hickup

but PPA3 can't find main SFS
mount -T udf works from the resulting command prompt and files exist.

here is the results from disktype
Attachments
disktype.out.gz
(506 Bytes) Downloaded 311 times

radky

Re: gconv-modules.cache

#160 Post by radky »

shinobar wrote:
radky wrote:Yes, this significantly improves load times for gtkdialog programs. For example, on my system with Precise alpha3, PupScan loads in 9 seconds with the updated gconv-modules and gconv-modules.cache, compared to 14 seconds without the updated files.
I cannot understand your example. The time 9-14 sec for PupScan is mainly scanning time. Try ffconvert. It instantly gives gtkdialog 'Wait...' message no matter gconv-modules.cache. It must be less than 1 sec even with slow CPU.
Hi shinobar,

The loading time in my example is the time that that elapses after selecting the PupScan menu entry, until the PupScan GUI is visible on my screen. I used PupScan as an example because the loading time (scanning interval) is relatively long on my system and easy to measure.

I see similar improvement with other programs, but it is difficult to measure the differences in loading time for applications that open in less than one second (such as your ffconvert). Even so, in recent woof-built Puppies, fast-loading apps will 'snap' open more quickly on my system when gconv-modules.cache is present.

The loading times for gtkdialog programs (on my system) also vary with different Puppy derivatives.

For example, without gconv-modules.cache, PupScan loads in 14 seconds in Precise alpha3 compared to 9 seconds in Racy 5.3.

After adding Barry's gconv-modules.cache, PupScan loads in 9 seconds in Precise alpha3 compared to 7 seconds in Racy 5.3.

Interestingly, PupScan loads in 4 seconds on my system in Lucid 528 (without gconv-modules.cache), but the scanning process in Lucid uses different code as modified by rerwin.

shinobar

Re: gconv-modules.cache

#161 Post by shinobar »

I am not against the fact that the cash shortens loading time.
I just want to say what is 'significant'.
radky wrote:Interestingly, PupScan loads in 4 seconds on my system in Lucid 528 (without gconv-modules.cache), but the scanning process in Lucid uses different code as modified by rerwin.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Precise Puppy alpha3, May 24, 2012

#162 Post by BarryK »

L18L wrote:#
msgunfmt: error while loading shared libraries: libunistring.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

msgmerge: error while loading shared libraries: libunistring.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
#
Thanks, package added.

cowonjolt

multisession cd & other

#163 Post by cowonjolt »

Hi, running precise alpha3 about a week now and must say it's very nice... I like it alot especially considering I currently have a dead harddrive and am running from a multi session dvd with saved session folders. I do have a couple of observations and questions that may be quirks or maybe just my unfamiliarity with Puppy compared to debian.
1. on bootup all the saved folders get loaded and takes a long time. If I use the pfix code to ignore x number of saved sessions it ignores the most recent saved folders and loads the oldest ones first which is just opposite of what I need it to do. Is there a way to ignore the oldest saves and load the newest first?
2. I have done a couple of remasters with the remaster option included with the system... have just enough memory to pull it off running the live dvd but would like to know how I can make it include my firefox tabs and bookmarks. I looked around in root but could not find what files need added back in to accomplish this so I ask... is there a way to do that?
3. Is there a pet somewhere for VLC media player for Precise or do I have to wait till I get a new drive and can compile it myself?
4. Is there a way to make rox filer show a preview of images?
Thanks

runtt21

#164 Post by runtt21 »

# 2 during the remaster process you will be ask if you want to make changes to /tmp/root . Open rox and go to /tmp/root ,then open a second rox and go to /root click on the eye to see hidden folders then copy the .mozilla folder into /tmp/root close both rox's and finish the remaster.

# 4 open rox . right click in an open area and select options on the left side find thumbnails.

cowonjolt

#165 Post by cowonjolt »

Thanks runtt21, thats 2 of the 4 eliminated. I'm used to dolphin file manager in kde plasma so rox is all new to me. Thanks again

Billtoo

#166 Post by Billtoo »

While surfing the web I happened upon a couple of delta files at the
nluug ibiblio mirror.

Precise Puppy, version 5.2.58 on Sat 2 Jun 2012

Chip description:
2.0 VGA compatible controller
Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 18)
oem: Intel(R)Ironlake Desktop Graphics Chipset Accelerated VGA BIOS
product: Intel(R)Ironlake Desktop Graphics Controller Hardware Version 0.0

X Server: Xorg
Driver used: intel

X.Org version: 1.11.3
dimensions: 1280x1024 pixels (338x270 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

# glxgears
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
302 frames in 5.0 seconds = 60.282 FPS
301 frames in 5.0 seconds = 60.019 FPS
301 frames in 5.0 seconds = 60.019 FPS

Computer
Processor 4x Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 540 @ 3.07GHz
Memory 6087MB (228MB used)
Operating System Unknown distribution
User Name root (root)
Date/Time Sat 02 Jun 2012 07:07:25 PM EDT
Display
Resolution 1280x1024 pixels
OpenGL Renderer Mesa DRI Intel(R) Ironlake Desktop x86/MMX/SSE2
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation
Multimedia
Audio Adapter HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
Version
Kernel Linux 3.2.18 (i686)
Compiled #1 SMP Wed May 30 22:40:54 GMT-8 2012
C Library GNU C Library version 2.15 (stable)
Default C Compiler GNU C Compiler version 4.6.3 (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.6.3-1ubuntu5)
Distribution Unknown distribution
OpenGL
Vendor Tungsten Graphics, Inc
Renderer Mesa DRI Intel(R) Ironlake Desktop x86/MMX/SSE2
Version 2.1 Mesa 8.0.2
Direct Rendering Yes

The new2dir script is working now.
No problems so far.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(53.22 KiB) Downloaded 1719 times

BarryK
Puppy Master

#167 Post by BarryK »

Precise Puppy 5.2.58 (beta1) is released.

Looking good! See blog announcement and download link:

http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02856

James C

#168 Post by James C »

Downloading as well.Trying to decide what kernel to use to replace that pae version.Probably just go with 3.3.7. :)

EDIT;
Ibiblio is really slow tonight.

Jim1911

#169 Post by Jim1911 »

James C wrote:Downloading as well.Trying to decide what kernel to use to replace that pae version.Probably just go with 3.3.7. :)

EDIT;
Ibiblio is really slow tonight.
Try nluug

Billtoo

Precise Puppy beta1, June 3, 2012

#170 Post by Billtoo »

I made a couple of pets in Precise, wbar is an application launcher
which has imlib2 as a dependency.
If you copy /usr/bin/wbar to /root/Startup folder then wbar will start
everytime the computer is rebooted or x is restarted.
Attachments
screenshot2.jpg
(42.58 KiB) Downloaded 1764 times