Precise Puppy RC2, October 20, 2012

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
oldyeller

#271 Post by oldyeller »

I do not think so.

We are all just waiting for the next step by BarryK.

Patience is hard when this looks so promising.

Who knows maybe pemasu will still take it over.

Until the next one

Cheers

Terryphi

#272 Post by Terryphi »

This recent blog post by Barry may be of interest to those expecting further development of Precise Puppy (by Barry.)

http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02886
[b]Classic Opera 12.16 browser SFS package[/b] for Precise, Slacko, Racy, Wary, Lucid, etc available[url=http://terryphillips.org.uk/operasfs.htm]here[/url] :)

rameshiyer

Precise Puppy

#273 Post by rameshiyer »

I want Precise Puppy final version at the earliest.

cowonjolt

#274 Post by cowonjolt »

Dang it, just when Puppy was starting to move ahead of the big dogs someone tossed a little raspberry pi in front of it and brought things to a screeching halt. Been pretty quiet around here since then unfortunately.

linuxcbon

#275 Post by linuxcbon »

cowonjolt wrote:Dang it, just when Puppy was starting to move ahead of the big dogs someone tossed a little raspberry pi in front of it and brought things to a screeching halt. Been pretty quiet around here since then unfortunately.
What has been developed in rasp is very important, because many bugs and improvements are found there, which wouldn't be found in "normal" computers and these will be used for all future puppies thanks to woof.

mavrothal

#276 Post by mavrothal »

linuxcbon wrote:What has been developed in rasp is very important, because many bugs and improvements are found there, which wouldn't be found in "normal" computers and these will be used for all future puppies thanks to woof.
Would you care to provide an example or two?
The part that wouldn't be fount in x86 ("normal") machines but are still applicable to them is very interested conceptually. Could you elaborate?
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

linuxcbon

#277 Post by linuxcbon »

Some bugs found on both : xz support for DEBs, f.s. check at bootup, busybox diff, ext4 support, etc. (see Barry's blog). These bugs are easier found on raspb, because all programs have to be compiled again, many scripts modified, and tested again.

01micko

#278 Post by 01micko »

linuxcbon wrote:
cowonjolt wrote:Dang it, just when Puppy was starting to move ahead of the big dogs someone tossed a little raspberry pi in front of it and brought things to a screeching halt. Been pretty quiet around here since then unfortunately.
What has been developed in rasp is very important, because many bugs and improvements are found there, which wouldn't be found in "normal" computers and these will be used for all future puppies thanks to woof.
Well.. linuxcbon is right there, but the idea of Woof is so that Barry doesn't have to maintain Puppy. Read this post on Barry's blog.
I have my hands full with Slacko and other real life commitments, but if anyone wants to further develop Precise Puppy they are welcome. It's all open source after all.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

ahoppin

#279 Post by ahoppin »

I hope nobody will be offended if I post a comment here as a user.

I've gotten truly outstanding service from Lucid 525 over the past year. I have full installations on several (mostly older) boxes and laptops and I've installed it for a couple of friends to replace virus-trashed Windows installations. This is one capable OS. The fact that it's tight and compact is the proverbial icing on the cake.

One of the features I love is the binary compatibility with Ubuntu packages. Yeah, I know, real Linux users compile from source, and I've done that a few times. But if you're building a house you might not have time to also assemble your power saw, and being able to download a program and go with minimal hassle makes all the difference when your computers are not just ends in themselves but also tools to get stuff done.

Regardless of what anyone may think of Ubuntu, it's still very popular (#2 on distrowatch as I type this). Almost every software developer makes Ubuntu binary packages. The Ubuntu official repository is huge and well maintained. So Lucid Puppy has a huge, stable extended repository too. Almost any program written for Ubuntu can be made to work on LuPu with a little patience.

But, but, but. Lucid Lynx is getting to be something of an aging OS, and Lucid Puppy is also turning into an older dog. That makes the idea of a new Ubuntu-derived Puppy using LTS Precise *really* appealing.

I've hung in there with Lucid 525, not even moving to 528, because I have a huge amount of effort and time in customizing 525. But I have to say, I'd switch to Precise Puppy in a blink, if a stable official release were to land here.

I wish I could take it on myself, but not a chance. I just don't have the Linux chops. But I really hope somebody does, because I'd wager there's a whole houseful of us out here who'd adopt this puppy in a second.

So if you're thinking about it .... nudge, nudge ... please?

Thanks.

666philb

#280 Post by 666philb »

requested by runtt21

i packaged up a version of gtk-youtube-viewer for precise http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76835
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

roadkill13

#281 Post by roadkill13 »

i packaged up a version of gtk-youtube-viewer for precise http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76835
Thank you for this.

splot

#282 Post by splot »

Shinobar posted a SFS of Gimp 2.8 here
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 127#633013
and nobody has acknowledged it.

This is just to advise that it works perfectly in Barry's Precise, and also in UPup Precise.

Much appreciated, Shinobar.

runtt21

#283 Post by runtt21 »

I have been using Shinobar's Gimp.sfs for a while now , works great !!!

Eyes-Only

#284 Post by Eyes-Only »

Not to belabour a point but I whole-heartedly agree with nearly every word that "ahoppin" posted above. I wrote "nearly" only because I've clung tooth-and-nail to Lucid-Pup-5.28 and 3-Headed-Dog ( which is based upon Lucid-Pup-5.28-005 by the way ) for all this time until Jejy asked me whether or not this Precise happened to work on my ancient computer and its hardware - for a possible porting test of his new Mate/LXDE desktops.

It was a very sad day for me when Puppy endorsed Slacko and Slackware. I haven't a clue why ( and believe me I've wracked my brain and beat up this computer trying to figure out WHY!? ) but my ancient machine refuses to work on Slacko/Slackware no ifs, ands, or buts! - yet it has this definite love affair with anything Debian/Ubuntu! I find this very odd myself as Slackware is known for being lite-weight whereas the two latter load on the dependencies galore.

Be that as it may my 10 year old system screams lightning-fast under Lucid and I figured I would be using this until my computer's motherboard blew a gasket and ended up in the recycle bin outside my window.

That was until a few days ago and when I loaded BarryK's Precise Puppy here only to discover newer software and an OS which is just as fast as my beloved Lucid upon which Playdayz and crew worked so many hours, and placed so much love and care, into producing for us!

So I too agree with ahoppin here! I so desperately hope that someone out there with the calibre of Micko, PlayDayz, WhoDo, Tux, et al, will step forth and grab the horns of Precise to give us yet another LTS Puppy build. I'd be tempted to take this one on myself if it weren't for the fact that my own time for being here was perhaps now limited to months.

Please? Anyone?

Cheers/Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge d'Acadie"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

ilanrab

#285 Post by ilanrab »

ahoppin wrote: I've gotten truly outstanding service from Lucid 525 over the past year...

One of the features I love is the binary compatibility with Ubuntu...
... The Ubuntu official repository is huge and well maintained...
... That makes the idea of a new Ubuntu-derived Puppy using LTS Precise *really* appealing.

I've hung in there with Lucid 525, not even moving to 528,...

So if you're thinking about it .... nudge, nudge ... please?
I am reluctant to switch away from 525.
Lucid 525 is an outstanding release. I discovered unpleasant issues with 528, and reverted back to 525.

The Ubuntu repository's success is important in many ways. It's not simply the "number" of packages. There's much more to it.

Indeed, it would be a pleasant surprise to see the Puppy Linux development continue in that successful direction, in spite of the tremendous reluctance by some of the puppy developers.

cheers,
[b]ir[/b]

oldyeller

#286 Post by oldyeller »

Hello everyone,

I have done a woof2 build here Precise 5.2.60.

I am new more or less to woof2, I am not sure were this build is to BarryK's
Hope you all will enjoy this continuation of precise

Cheers

BarryK
Puppy Master

#287 Post by BarryK »

I'm baaack!

Precise Puppy beta3 is coming soon, with 3.2.27 kernel and latest Woof goodies.

This evening I plan to start reading this forum thread, from page 15 which was when beta2 got released.

Yes, as 01micko mentioned, I am planning on writing a "big app" and slowing down the pace of Woof/Puppy development.

Well, I do make plans... but it doesn't always turn out that way. Those who have known me for a long time know how many times I have planned to "retire".

Anyway, Precise beta3 is on the way!
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

cthisbear

#288 Post by cthisbear »

BarryK:

Yes! in our books retirement suits you...ha! ha!.

Hope you are enjoying Perth BK.

Regards.....Chris.

don570

#289 Post by don570 »

Note to BarryK:

Have you looked at how Shinobar organises his Japanese distribution
into separate SFS packages? It has potential.

The Porteus distribution uses something similar but calls them
'XZM Modules' You store these modules in a specified folder
and they load automatically during boot process. ...But there
is an option to not load modules or change the location of
modules folder.

I was able to get his Japanese Seamonkey SFS to work in Precise.

The goffice contains Abiword ,gnumeric and Inkscapelite
but I couldn't get it to work in precise.

don570

#290 Post by don570 »

I got an idea while looking a Tazoc's Lighthouse 503

He puts a mhwaveedit configuration file in his ISO
so that the first time a user launches mhwaveedit
it will have a wide window and less vertical scroll bars.
It's a nice touch!! :lol:

Here's the file he uses ----> /root/.mhwaveedit/config
Note that there is a line for window geometry

Code: Select all

# mhWaveEdit configuration file.
# Automatically generated by mhWaveEdit 1.4.20
# May be hand edited but extra comments will be removed when the 
# settings are saved.
# Remove this file to restore default settings.

tempfilesFP = true
speedReset = false
viewQuality = 128
timeDisplayScale = 0
varispeedConv = 5
tempDir1 = /root/.mhwaveedit
rollCursor = false
mixerUtility = retrovol
showTimeScale = true
showSpeed = false
showHorizontalZoom = false
playerFallback_BigEndian = false