Precise Puppy RC2, October 20, 2012

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: bold or normal

#616 Post by BarryK »

shinobar wrote:
tiangeng wrote:<MenuStyle>
<Font>DejaVu Sans-12:bold:oblique</Font>
</MenuStyle>

I added "BOLD",I deleted "bold",it's ok.
You also need to remove the dash(-) from 'Sans-12' so that the titlebar (of the windows) can show Chinese characters.
<Font>DejaVu Sans 12</Font>
Wrong. This misinformation has been around for a very long time.

JWM recognises the Xft format as shown here:
http://joewing.net/programs/jwm/fonts.shtml

Jwm does not recognise <Font>DejaVu Sans 12</Font>, and instead falls back to using the default GTK font -- which, most likely, is DejaVu Sans, or whatever else has been set as the font in the gtkrc file.

I other words, you can put any gibberish into those tags, ex <font>yabby doo dah 12</font> and it will give the same effect.

That's my understanding anyway.

Correction:
Um, no, I don't think that JWM will fall back to using the default GTK font if it can't understand the <font> tag -- probably it will use the default Xft font.
Last edited by BarryK on Fri 21 Sep 2012, 01:38, edited 1 time in total.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#617 Post by BarryK »

01micko wrote:Barry

Did you find that seamonkey wouldn't compile against system cairo? Perhaps vpx too if yours isn't recent enough. Can you post the mozconfig please? It certainly has grown a few megabytes in the past couple of years and this version as against 2.11 grew over 1 M. (When I compiled in Slacko, the official mozilla version was smaller once I removed the modern theme).
Here it is:

Code: Select all

mk_add_options MOZ_OBJDIR=@TOPSRCDIR@/objdir-sm-release
mk_add_options MOZ_CO_PROJECT=suite
ac_add_options --enable-application=suite
ac_add_options --enable-system-hunspell
ac_add_options --localstatedir=/var
ac_add_options --sysconfdir=/etc
ac_add_options --prefix=/usr
ac_add_options --host=i686-pc-linux-gnu
ac_add_options --disable-dbus
ac_add_options --disable-accessibility
ac_add_options --with-system-bz2
ac_add_options --disable-updater
ac_add_options --disable-parental-controls
ac_add_options --enable-places
ac_add_options --disable-gnomevfs
ac_add_options --disable-gnomeui
ac_add_options --disable-system-sqlite
ac_add_options --disable-system-cairo
ac_add_options --enable-strip
ac_add_options --with-system-jpeg
ac_add_options --with-system-zlib
ac_add_options --enable-libxul
ac_add_options --enable-storage
ac_add_options --disable-tests
ac_add_options --with-default-mozilla-five-home=/usr/lib/seamonkey
ac_add_options --enable-jsd
ac_add_options --enable-default-toolkit=cairo-gtk2
ac_add_options --disable-crashreporter
ac_add_options --disable-libnotify
ac_add_options --with-system-libvpx
ac_add_options --disable-gio
ac_add_options --enable-chrome-format=omni

However, I will be including libnspr and libnss in the next release of precise Puppy, so next time that I compile SM, for Ubuntu (and Debian) cases anyway, I will use "--with-system-nspr" and "--with-system-nss".

Note, I prefere "--enable-chrome-format=jar", unfortunately that is broken at installation. Another case of inadequate testing -- omni is "flavour of the month" and that is all the developers have bothered to test.
[/code]

bigpup

#618 Post by bigpup »

Any work being done on fixing the graphics issues, several people have had, with first boot?
In general older Nvidia graphics cards do not like Nouveau driver.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Karl Godt

#619 Post by Karl Godt »

About BOLD fonts :
bash-3.00# xlsfonts | grep '[0-9]b.*'
6x13b
7x13b
7x14b
8x13b
9x15b
9x18b

xlsfonts | grep '\-b.*'
shows a bunch of fonts ie
-misc-dejavu sans-bold-o-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-1
but

xlsfonts | grep '\-b.*' | grep 12
shows no *dejavu sans-bold* s .

* NOT in any Ubuntu based Puppy atm though *

gcmartin

Precise has a minor logic flow at system startup

#620 Post by gcmartin »

@Barry. Again, I just tested the most recent Beta6.

FirstRUN has the same problem. As it turns out, it is NOT SHOWING the LAN tailoring section even though the PC has adapter on the motherboard. It appears that FirstRUN is "keying" on an active wire in the adapter versus merely looking for the adapter ONLY.

FirstRUN really should present LAN tailoring no matter if a wire in present in eth0 or NOT. This reduces any need to revisit LAN tailoring steps when a wire is connected or if WiFi is started.

Hopefully BK is following this.

Here to help

davids45

#621 Post by davids45 »

G'day,

I had earlier reported in this thread, problems with this Precise-Pup version when trying to use the Universal Installer to create a Full Pup using the Frugal's /home directory as the source for the install files - no CD/DVD involved.

I thought the problem was fixed by freshly re-formatting the Full's partition before using the Universal Installer.

But alas, my (last-time lucky?) Full Precise.5.3.93 was compromised by a non-functioning Pet I had tried and when I took the usual easy way out by re-installing the Full from the Frugal, the computer froze during the "copying files" step, and has each time I have tried the Universal Installer.

I increased the size of the Frugal's Save file and also installed the AMD proprietary driver into the Frugal, as well as trying with the Full's fresh target partition in ext2 and ext3, but nothing has so far allowed a Full install.

I do not have this problem with pemasu/oldyeller's Precise-based Pup.

David S.

[Post-script]
Tried a direct Full install from a Live CD and had no problem getting a working Full Precise-5.3.93. Seems like using the Universal Installer taking the Frugal->Full path using the 'Directory' as source for install files has the problem. Universal Installer from LiveCD->Full is OK (so far).

Sage

#622 Post by Sage »

Not getting 2barks - sound is 'up'.
Installed Firefox from PPM and Opera from their website. Neither appear in the menu, subsequently, even after an X-reset. Firefox doesn't run from the console, but Opera does. Unfortunately, Opera doesn't actually browse - it just sits there. SM functions but I still don't like it.

Re. FULL, ds45, quite a few of us are hoping BK will run his magic wand over the PUI.

shinobar

jwm fonts

#623 Post by shinobar »

BarryK wrote:
shinobar wrote:You also need to remove the dash(-) from 'Sans-12' so that the titlebar (of the windows) can show Chinese characters.
<Font>DejaVu Sans 12</Font>
Wrong. This misinformation has been around for a very long time.

JWM recognises the Xft format as shown here:
http://joewing.net/programs/jwm/fonts.shtml

Jwm does not recognise <Font>DejaVu Sans 12</Font>, and instead falls back to using the default GTK font -- which, most likely, is DejaVu Sans, or whatever else has been set as the font in the gtkrc file.
Tnx Barry for the lecture.
The problem with <Font>DejaVu Sans-12</Font> is the DejaVu Sans does not have full UTF-8. It cannot display the Chinese/Japanese fonts which we add.
We have solved this by using <Font>DejaVu Sans 12</Font>, but now i see the jwm does not recognize the description.
Now I find <Font>Sans-12</Font>, or just <Font>-12</Font> is a better solution for the multiple fonts.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

`f00

#624 Post by `f00 »

precise-5.3.93 initial test

After kernel load.... either blackscreen or illegible 'scrunched' cl mssgs

Ctrl+Alt+backspace ineffective (only hardoff works), cannot load xorgwizard, various boot codes like "puppy pfix=nox" still give blackscreen or illegible 'scrunched' cl mssgs after kernel load....

Looks like precise-5.3.93's a non-starter for me :|
(probably should have started earlier with '2.69 or '2.71 rather than the latest)
vidcard0 - RV280 (aka ATI Radeon 9200), AGP
vidcard1 - not used, but also RV280 (switched off in BIOS - aka Radeon 9200SE), PCI (old-style)
soundcard - emu10k1 (aka Creative Audigy 2 ZS or SB0350)
boot/save method - liveCD multisession (cd-rw media)
limitations - no printer, no internet connection

BarryK
Puppy Master

#625 Post by BarryK »

bigpup wrote:Any work being done on fixing the graphics issues, several people have had, with first boot?
In general older Nvidia graphics cards do not like Nouveau driver.
I don't know any neat solution. Beta6 has the 'nv' Xorg driver, which should work -- run xorgwizard and explicitly choose 'nv'.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: jwm fonts

#626 Post by BarryK »

shinobar wrote:The problem with <Font>DejaVu Sans-12</Font> is the DejaVu Sans does not have full UTF-8. It cannot display the Chinese/Japanese fonts which we add.
We have solved this by using <Font>DejaVu Sans 12</Font>, but now i see the jwm does not recognize the description.
Now I find <Font>Sans-12</Font>, or just <Font>-12</Font> is a better solution for the multiple fonts.
Perhaps it is time for me to upgrade DejaVu fonts to the latest version.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#627 Post by BarryK »

`f00 wrote:precise-5.3.93 initial test

Ctrl+Alt+backspace ineffective (only hardoff works), cannot load xorgwizard, various boot codes like "puppy pfix=nox" still give blackscreen or illegible 'scrunched' cl mssgs after kernel load....

(probably should have started earlier with '2.69 or '2.71 rather than the latest)
vidcard1 - not used, but also RV280 (switched off in BIOS - aka Radeon 9200SE), PCI (old-style)
Perhaps I should do a build of Precise Puppy without the 'nouveau' Xorg driver, only 'nv' -- either nv or vesa Xorg drivers should work.

01micko

#628 Post by 01micko »

BarryK wrote:
`f00 wrote:precise-5.3.93 initial test

Perhaps I should do a build of Precise Puppy without the 'nouveau' Xorg driver, only 'nv' -- either nv or vesa Xorg drivers should work.
`foo has radeon hardware. Probably radeon.modeset=0 would work at pfix=ram or on the kernel line.

In my opinion, leaving out nouveau would hamper the other 90% (a guess) of nvidia users that haven't reported their success with nouveau. As I said, I have 4 that all work flawlessly in precise ranging from an old Vanta to fairly new cards.

That said, they would all likely boot ok with nv/vesa only, but perform poorly. Actually, on my Vanta I get "out of range" on the monitor with vesa. There have been attempts around the forum to use xvesa (yes, x is not a typo) to boot to a desktop and choose. I don't think that's the answer because once a choice is made then that may fail if the user has no knowledge.

I would say documentation is the answer. Make users aware that strings like "xxxx.modeset=0" are available if graphics don't work. Be aware that radeon users are in the same boat with KMS. I had the same card `foo describes and had varying results w/wo KMS (it died recently :( ).

2c
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Billtoo

Precise Puppy beta6, Sept. 11, 2012

#629 Post by Billtoo »

I did a manual frugal install to an 8gb flash drive.

Report Video 1.3 - Fri 21 Sep 2012 on Precise Puppy 5.3.95 - Linux 3.2.29 i686

Chip description:
0.0 VGA compatible controller:NVIDIA CorporationGF108 GeForce GT 430](rev a1)
oem: NVIDIA
product: GF108 Board - 1071v0p1 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg Driver used: nvidia

X.Org version: 1.11.3
dimensions: 1920x1080 pixels (524x292 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

# glxgears
62762 frames in 5.0 seconds = 12552.279 FPS
63014 frames in 5.0 seconds = 12602.629 FPS
63012 frames in 5.0 seconds = 12602.297 FPS

It's working well here.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(181.39 KiB) Downloaded 799 times

Pelo

Grisbi 0.8.2 runs perfectly on Precise

#630 Post by Pelo »

Precise Puppy is a very reliable distro. All is working on my Medion AKOYA.
We hold now very good agrarian tractors with Slacko, Racy, Precise Puppy. but i have very old plows. Thanks to the one who has made a lifting to the old grisbi 0.5.0 available for Puppy until now.
Nous avons des distros qui fonctionnent. Si vous pouviez moderniser les outils qui vont avec, ce serait parfait.

Bonne journée. Have a nice day.

shinobar

display fail

#631 Post by shinobar »

01micko wrote:I would say documentation is the answer. Make users aware that strings like "xxxx.modeset=0" are available if graphics don't work.
It is hard to type such a boot option at boot.
The graphical menu with 'Safe mode' option at boot may be a help.
But also I appreciate if the precise be without nouveau and offers an easy way to install nouveau or NVIDIA driver.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

rerwin

Improved DGC modem firmware package

#632 Post by rerwin »

Barry,
As we get close to an RC, I found ways to simplify the DGC firmware package and merge into it the support for the other CDC ACM modems. My reasoning is that it puts all "ttyACM" modem support in a single firmware package. A developer would either want them all or none. So why have two packages, where one is a subset of the other!

The old cdcacm contained only the initialization script that is also used for dgcmodem. I moved that into dgcmodem and update the firmware.dep file to associate module cdc-acm with firmware dgcmodem. Pinstall.dgcmodem.sh now copies the DGC components only if the dgcmodem module is present in the puppy.

I moved the editing of the dgcconfig script to a pinstall.sh for the pet package, out of the pinstall.dgcmodem.sh script, so that the adapted script is permanent.

I recommend changing the pet package name to eliminate the tie to the dgcmodem source version, to avoid unnecessary complexity in the name. The dgc* scripts rarely (if ever) change across versions.

I also added null files for three files created during pet installation and firmware setup, so that they are included in the "remove" (.files) file for processing by the puninstall script. They get removed by the pinstall script (after the .files file is built).

To facilitate testing, I include a "cleanup" pet package that removes the cdcacm "tarball" components. Please remove them from woof.

Although I would like to make some similar changes to the HSF firmware pet package, I also wanted to make this merged DGC package ready ASAP. I hope you can squeeze this into beta7, as I feel it is a better implementation for the long run. Thank you.
Richard

# diff -r firmware_linux_module_dgcmodem-1.13-20120920 firmware_linux_module_dgcmodem-20120921
Only in firmware_linux_module_dgcmodem-20120921/lib/modules/all-firmware/dgcmodem/etc/dgcmodem: .serial_configured [null]
Only in firmware_linux_module_dgcmodem-20120921/lib/modules/all-firmware/dgcmodem/etc: init.d [Dgcmodem]
Only in firmware_linux_module_dgcmodem-20120921/lib/modules/all-firmware/dgcmodem/etc: modprobe.d [null modem_dgc.conf]
diff -r firmware_linux_module_dgcmodem-1.13-20120920/lib/modules/all-firmware/dgcmodem/pinstall.dgcmodem.sh firmware_linux_module_dgcmodem-20120921/lib/modules/all-firmware/dgcmodem/pinstall.dgcmodem.sh
2,4d1
< # Copy Cdcacm initialization script, avoiding duplication for DGC.
< cp lib/modules/all-firmware/cdcacm/etc/init.d/Cdcacm etc/init.d/
< 
7d3
< 
9,34c5,8
< 
< #Edit config script to avoid device instances 1-7, avoid setting /dev/modem link.
< if [ -f /usr/sbin/dgcconfig ];then
<  sed -e 's%^#\!/bin/bash$%#\!/bin/bash\n#Edited by Puppy Linux during extraction of firmware for modem initialization.%' \
<   -e 's%while \[ $u -lt 8 \]; do%while [ $u -le 0 ]; do%' \
<   -e 's%^[\ \	]*echo \"alias /dev/modem%#echo \"alias /dev/modem%' \
<   -e 's%-[ef] /etc/modprobe.conf \]%& \&\& false%' \
<   -e 's%if \[ -d /etc/udev/rules\.d \]; then%if [ -f /etc/udev/rules.d ]; then%' \
<   -e 's%ln -sf /dev/ttyS...0 /dev/modem%/bin/true #&%' \
<   -e 's%first=240%first=244%' \
<   -e 's%max=249%max=251%' \
<   -e 's%\tmajor=\${first}%\t[ "${device}" = "ttySDGC" -o  "${device}" = "cuaDGC" ] \\\n\t\t\&\& echo 0 \\\n\t\t\&\& return 0\n\n&%' \
<   -e 's%\tunconfigure_rcscript || exit%#&%' \
<   -e 's%\tremove_kernel_modules || exit%#&%' \
<   -e 's%rm -f /dev/modem$%/bin/true #&%' \
<   -e 's%mv /dev/modem /dev/modem.old$%/bin/true #&%' \
<   -e 's%/etc/modprobe.d/dgc%/etc/modprobe.d/modem_dgc%' \
<   -e 's%) > \${outmodprobeconf}$%&.conf%' \
<   -e 's%update_modprobeconf \${outmodprobeconf}%&.conf%' \
<   -e 's%\${outmodprobeconf}.conflicts%&.conf%' \
<  /usr/sbin/dgcconfig > /usr/sbin/dgcconfig_adapted #120901
<  chmod a+x /usr/sbin/dgcconfig_adapted #120901
<  
<  #Use edited config script to create devices.
<  /usr/sbin/dgcconfig_adapted --serial
< fi
---
> #Use edited config script to create devices.
> [ -f /usr/sbin/dgcconfig_adapted ] \
>  && [ "$(/sbin/modinfo dgcusbdcp -F supported)" ] \
>  && /usr/sbin/dgcconfig_adapted --serial
diff -r firmware_linux_module_dgcmodem-1.13-20120920/pet.specs firmware_linux_module_dgcmodem-20120921/pet.specs
1c1
< firmware_linux_module_dgcmodem-1.13-20120920|firmware_linux_module_dgcmodem|1.13-20120920||BuildingBlock|116K||firmware_linux_module_dgcmodem-1.13-20120920.pet||kernel-independent DGC modem driver components, created by rerwin||||
---
> firmware_linux_module_dgcmodem-20120921|firmware_linux_module_dgcmodem|20120921||BuildingBlock|122K||firmware_linux_module_dgcmodem-20120921.pet||kernel-independent DGC & CDC-ACM modem driver components, created by rerwin||||
Only in firmware_linux_module_dgcmodem-20120921: pinstall.sh
Only in firmware_linux_module_dgcmodem-20120921/usr/sbin: dgcconfig_adapted [null]
UPDATE 9/22/2012: Re-uploaded both packages after download #5, to move the firmware.dep modifications out of the main package and into the cleanup package. That puts all of the one-time changes outside of the main package for the pet library. There is no functional difference from the originals. But -20120922 should be the version to go into the pet library.

UPDATE 9/26/2012: I am working on a further improvement which I will post later in this thread. The attached package need not go to the pet download library.

UPDATE 9/27/2012: I have uploaded the replacement for these packages on page 48, along with similar packages for the Conexant PCI modems. Pleas upgrade to those versions. Thank you for trying the attached version. The absence of problem reports seems to validate the approach I took.
Richard
Attachments
firmware_linux_module_dgcmodem-cleanup-2.pet
Removes residue of old cdc-acm firmware now part of dgcmodem package.
(557 Bytes) Downloaded 356 times
Last edited by rerwin on Fri 28 Sep 2012, 03:53, edited 4 times in total.

Billtoo

Precise Puppy beta6, Sept. 11, 2012

#633 Post by Billtoo »

Manual frugal install to a 32gb flash drive.

Report Video 1.3 - Sat 22 Sep 2012 on Precise Puppy 5.3.95 - Linux 3.2.29 i686

Chip description:
0.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Manhattan
[Mobility Radeon HD 5400 Series]
oem: ATI ATOMBIOS
product: PARK 01.00

X Server: Xorg Driver used: fglrx

dimensions: 1600x900 pixels (423x238 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

# glxgears
28403 frames in 5.0 seconds = 5680.505 FPS
28587 frames in 5.0 seconds = 5717.210 FPS
28639 frames in 5.0 seconds = 5727.751 FPS

Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR928X Wireless Network Adapter
(PCI-Express) (rev 01)

No problems so far.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(35.54 KiB) Downloaded 1069 times

James C

#634 Post by James C »

Quick live pfix=ram hardware test of latest Beta. As expected, display,sound and internet all working and correct on initial boot.

# report-video
Report Video 1.3 - Sat 22 Sep 2012 on Precise Puppy 5.3.95 - Linux 3.2.29 i686

Chip description:
d.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a] (rev a2)
oem: NVIDIA
product: MCP61 - mcp61-86 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg Driver used: nouveau

dimensions: 1366x768 pixels (361x203 millimeters)
depth of root window: 16 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/root/ as report-video,
and archived with xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log as report-video-full.gz

-Computer-
Processor : 4x AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 620 Processor
Memory : 3884MB (200MB used)
Operating System : Unknown distribution
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Sat 22 Sep 2012 01:17:09 AM CDT
-Display-
Resolution : 1366x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Gallium 0.4 on NV4C
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia

Looks good,no problems. :)

James C

#635 Post by James C »

01micko wrote: In my opinion, leaving out nouveau would hamper the other 90% (a guess) of nvidia users that haven't reported their success with nouveau. As I said, I have 4 that all work flawlessly in precise ranging from an old Vanta to fairly new cards.

That said, they would all likely boot ok with nv/vesa only, but perform poorly. Actually, on my Vanta I get "out of range" on the monitor with vesa.
I agree with 01micko ..........all of my Nvidia hardware, both old (Riva TNT 2) to fairly recent works fine using "Nouveau" in Precise and Slacko. However,some of the newer Nvidia chips will not achieve a desktop of any kind with the "nv" driver.Generally the performance is much better with nouveau as well.