Precise Puppy RC2, October 20, 2012

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
Ted Dog

#841 Post by Ted Dog »

Lol Sage, you know our eyes have been abused every-so-often since v2.01, my favorite was the poor photo-shopped 'puppy' in a orange dead tree waste land, with orange-yellow sunburn icons. 8)
Wonder what happen to that nice beach screen that was available about two-three years ago.

Sage

#842 Post by Sage »

Yes, indeed. Don't know what's come over BK recently. He had one of my favourites, guy-on-a-bike, very Oz. Then he had Tyson - great - and surfing Pup, as recently as a few weeks ago. White backgrounds switch all the l.e.d s on, swamp the icons and text, and the artwork is terrible, with just about the worst set of icons ever. At the end of the day, it's subjective, but nobody expects Old Masters or even Dali.

666philb

#843 Post by 666philb »

Sage wrote:Yes, indeed. Don't know what's come over BK recently. He had one of my favourites, guy-on-a-bike, very Oz. Then he had Tyson - great - and surfing Pup, as recently as a few weeks ago. White backgrounds switch all the l.e.d s on, swamp the icons and text, and the artwork is terrible, with just about the worst set of icons ever. At the end of the day, it's subjective, but nobody expects Old Masters or even Dali.
you're showing your age sage!... i love the icons , and the background picture. and come on, it's hardly difficult to change it if you don't like it.

i bet If it were up to you, you would probably have that 'dog on a skateboard' background as default :D
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

Sage

#844 Post by Sage »

showing your age
Unlikely. Probably a lot more than you think...

dog on a skateboard
Correct.
hardly difficult to change
I do.
Read carefully:
it's subjective

Can't get the Ospreys match on my TV this afternoon. Probably should've got a Sky dish?

bigpup

#845 Post by bigpup »

About the highlight issue.
It could have something to do with peoples color vision.
Maybe the color of the highlight?

some people in general have some form of color blindness (the ability to see colors).
I have taken color blindness tests as part of my job and I have problems with certain colors.

Test your vision here:
http://www.toledo-bend.com/colorblind/Ishihara.asp
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Ted Dog

color shade issues

#846 Post by Ted Dog »

I know I can't really tell a dark blue sock from a black sock first thing in the morning so I have a pair of each in my cars emergency box. In that Color Blindness test I really only had a problem with the bottom left.
I generally have a girlfriend or sister, niece or my mom shop for my clothes. :oops: My sister works in a leading clothes store which keeps me at least within one generation of what is cool to wear.

Billtoo

#847 Post by Billtoo »

In highlightnotvisible.jpg I have highlighted the entire section but
only see the first line as highlighted.
Aftergeanyclick.jpg is the same screen after I positioned the cursor
in the geany window and pushed down on the mouse wheel to copy the
section.
Problem is you can't see whether or not all the text that you want
highlighted is until after clicking in geany, if it's not right you
must do over.
Attachments
anotherpart1.jpg
(87.74 KiB) Downloaded 1609 times
anotherpart2.jpg
(89.34 KiB) Downloaded 1446 times
highlightnotvisible.jpg
(89.32 KiB) Downloaded 1723 times
aftergeanyclick.jpg
(93.36 KiB) Downloaded 1506 times

Billtoo

#848 Post by Billtoo »

I changed the theme to gradient gray and highlighing works now.
hot dog!
Attachments
gradientgrayworks.jpg
(84.56 KiB) Downloaded 1319 times

rerwin

Re: ReSquash saves size

#849 Post by rerwin »

Ted Dog wrote:Still confused on why a remastered sfs is smaller than orginal.
Thank you for bringing this up. I see that I am responsible for about 700K of the reduction, but am clueless about the cause of the several megs. When I reworked the firmware_linux_module packages, I forgot to remove some recent additions to remasterpup2. The commands removed possible duplicate copies of some modem-related files. The firmware packages handle them differently, making the remasterpup removals inappropriate. Attached is a corrected version, along with the difference file.
Richard
Attachments
remasterpup2_bugfix-1.pet
Deletes removal of modem daemon files.
(12.33 KiB) Downloaded 1016 times
diff-remasterpup2.txt.gz
Difference listing
(987 Bytes) Downloaded 1034 times

drblock2

Precise RC2

#850 Post by drblock2 »

Took Precise RC2 out for a test drive with my Athlon 2Ghz, 2GB Ram, nvidia GeForce FX 5200 - vintage equipment.

Booted into a desktop with defective icons and blank menus. report-video reported vesa, but I know nouveau when I see it.

nouveau_unload to the rescue. Reboot with save file into usable desktop with vesa (honest this time). Very slow glxgears registered 36 fps.

Found the kernel source in the usual place and downloaded it. (It would be very helpful to mention this in the release announcement for those who don't know where the usual place is.)

The nvidia 173.14.35 driver compiled and installed with no problem. Result glxgears ca. 3150 fps!

My Opera 12.02 stand alone worked immediately including flash player.

The acid test: VirtualBox 4.1.18 also compiled and installed without incident and booted XP.

Suggestions: nouveau must go, at least on the initial boot. Since vesa (and nv) are terribly slow, an opportunity to upgrade to nouveau or the proprietary drivers should be offered at first boot, but we can't have our Pup booting into an unusable desktop on a significant number of computers. If nouveau simply failed and allowed the user to opt for vesa, that would be bad enough. But, unless you know about micko's nouveau_unload, or kernel line modesets, you can't get rid of it and load a working desktop.

I know that wallpaper, icons, etc. are subjective, but I can't help comparing my reaction to the latest Wary release: Wow! to RC2. A few mouse clicks and the problem was gone, but I know where to click. I don't think this is the foot we want to put forward.

But, all and all - congratulations are in order. Barry, this looks like a winner.

majorfoo

#851 Post by majorfoo »

Just added Libreoffice-3.6.2 pet to my full install.
Very fast - opens Swriter or Scalc in less than 5 seconds. Impressive.

Only problem I have encountered is sometimes this version boots to black screen with no icons - just the menu bar across bottom of screen. I simply restart x server and all is well.

Computer is HP Pentium4, 2.8ghz with 2mb ram, Two hard drives installed with three ext4 partitions and save partition on drive 1 and four ext4 partitions on drive 2. Seven different versions of puppy and a save partition
Intel 82865g Graphics Controller - Audio Intel 82801/eb/er
Ethernet Intel 82562 10/100
Last edited by majorfoo on Sun 21 Oct 2012, 22:55, edited 1 time in total.

James C

#852 Post by James C »

Precise 5.3.97 RC2 live cd, savefile on NTFS hdd partition.

Display,sound and internet all correct on initial boot.

# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Precise Puppy, version 5.3.97

Chip description:
oem: NVIDIA
product: MCP61 - mcp61-86 Chip Rev

Driver used by Xorg:
vesa

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth 24 Depth: "Display"

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video
# glxgears
nvfx_screen_get_param:95 - Warning: unknown PIPE_CAP 30
nvfx_screen_get_param:95 - Warning: unknown PIPE_CAP 55
nvfx_screen_get_param:95 - Warning: unknown PIPE_CAP 56
nvfx_screen_get_param:95 - Warning: unknown PIPE_CAP 59
nvfx_screen_get_param:95 - Warning: unknown PIPE_CAP 58
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
5172 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1034.330 FPS
5760 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1151.946 FPS
5766 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1152.923 FPS
5767 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1153.363 FPS
5759 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1151.753 FPS

Code: Select all

(II) LoadModule: "nouveau"
-Computer-
Processor : 4x AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 620 Processor
Memory : 3884MB (207MB used)
Operating System : Unknown distribution
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Sun 21 Oct 2012 05:50:58 PM CDT
-Display-
Resolution : 1366x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Gallium 0.4 on NV4C
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Precise Puppy RC2, October 20, 2012

#853 Post by BarryK »

Billtoo wrote:In highlightnotvisible.jpg I have highlighted the entire section but
only see the first line as highlighted.
I'm sorry, I cannot reproduce this. Whichever way I highlight a block of text, it is all highlighted. And it stays all highlighted, no matter how window focus changes.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#854 Post by BarryK »

Well, I guess that I will release 5.4-final soon. I will wait 4-5 hours after posting this, in case anyone has something urgent to report.

The theme... well, that's staying. It takes me ages to come up with a theme.

If you haven't seen a reply from me to posts to this Forum thread, I have replied in my blog.

Many people want a non-pae Precise pup, so ok, I will build one. It will be "unofficial" though, as somewhat less tested.

If the community wants, they can take it from there and build a precise with changes (such as non-pae), enhancements and other bells-and-whistles to improve the user experience.
I am thinking of my release as a "reference build", that is open to further refinements.

After 5.4, I want to get back onto lower-level work in Woof. I want to work on MoManager and PPM, for starters.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

rjbrewer

#855 Post by rjbrewer »

BarryK wrote:
Many people want a non-pae Precise pup, so ok, I will build one. It will be "unofficial" though, as somewhat less tested.

If the community wants, they can take it from there and build a precise with changes (such as non-pae), enhancements and other bells-and-whistles
I'd really like to see that.

There 32 versions of Pentium M processors that can't boot
PAE.

I have a Toshiba M35 and Inspiron M700 laptops that have
that problem.

Those Pent. M processors may be 8 yrs. old, but they
still out-perform the Atom processors and many of the
P4's'

In general; they are great Puppy machines that take up
to 2Gb ram.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

01micko

#856 Post by 01micko »

I have a Pentium M too, great little machine, only has 512 RAM but can actually do a decent job of running Win7. (Of course it runs Slacko 99% of the time :) ).

Good to see that BK is going to build an 'unofficial' non-pae version.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Ted Dog

kernel headers??

#857 Post by Ted Dog »

Where are we hiding those kernel headers for wary/racy as well? Tried to compile NVidia drivers and those headers where not found, expected with the huge size of dev.sfs those would be included.

rerwin

martian drive firmware package

#858 Post by rerwin »

Even though the martian modem driver is not used in precise pup, its firmware directory needlessly consumes over 400KB. Attached is the firmware converted into a "firmware_linux_module..." package, which preserves it but allows it to be removed from precise and woof. It should not be included in precise-final but can go into the pet repository with the other such packages. And be added to the woof configuration list at some point.
Richard

rerwin

Obsolete cdcacm firmware

#859 Post by rerwin »

Barry,
I just noticed that the cdcacm firmware directory is still in all-firmware. Note that it has been replaced by the updated dgcmodem firmware.

Not only should the all-firmware/cdcacm directory be deleted, the firmware.dep file should be updated as I think I described when I posted the firmware package. Specifically, the lines:

cdcacm:cdc-acm.ko
dgcmodem:dgcusbdcp.ko
should be replaced by:

dgcmodem:cdc-acm.ko,dgcusbdcp.ko
However, if the deadline has passed, these changes can wait until the next release, because the old configuration still works.
Richard

`f00

#860 Post by `f00 »

precise 5.3.97 (rc2)

..first look (and likely last as the final gets done forthwith)

As usual (with precise, anyway) needed bootcode "puppy radeon.modeset=0" to get a useable display on my hardware - lines even more scrunched after "Loading kernel modules" if no bootcode entered at splash. Quickstart works ok (ps/2 optical mouse and dropdowns fine). Only the 'move' outline is visible as a sort of border on the welcome page - kind of disorienting for any first-timers. A gray85 might be an improvement over the snow-white, impo.

Had a play with some other gtks - Gradient-brown works well (especially highlighting) and a good match for jwm theme of the same name. Other ones like the Stardust variations too. Of course some fields may be nearly illegible contrast depending on the app/gtk mix (page width drop select in abiword and menuhead selected in seamonkey for example).

Last time I handled a compact disc, it was more rigid than floppy and the thumbdrive doesn't do much but jam the disc tray (just joking, as I recall pmount tabview corrects after the initial run but still). ffconvert still doubled by FFConvert in rox OpenWith. May just be me, but I think mtpaint deserves the proper 3-crayon icon by now.

Also did a play with some personal sfses (oldish I realize as some things were 'branded' with quirky 100 but they still work mostly). Of the new apps included, pAVrecord looks mighty useful and not too daunting as such things can be. Anyhow, a screencap - did it old-school since too many jpg artefacts in the screeny 'forum-optimized' 3/4 size take of the 800x600 'given' display size.

vidcard0 - RV280 (aka ATI Radeon 9200), AGP
boot/save method - liveCD multisession (cd-rw media)
Attachments
qpng.jpg
of the gradient-brown persuasion with less Snow White
(76.68 KiB) Downloaded 3540 times