Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 12 Dec 2019, 04:08
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Any conflict of Pupply 4.2.1 with Lucid Puppy Linux 5.2.8?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
recycler99uk

PostPosted: Thu 29 Mar 2012, 11:46    Post subject:  Any conflict of Pupply 4.2.1 with Lucid Puppy Linux 5.2.8?  

For a few days I have been using Puppy Linux 421 as a live CD with an on-harddisk file as well.

Today I got a Live CD for Lucid Puppy Linux 528 and have an on-harddisk file for that as well.

When LPL 528 boots up, it seems unaware of the existing on-harddisk file for PL 421.

Should I or can I delete the PL 421 on-harddisk files? If so, how do I do that?

If this involves partitions, then I do not understand partitions.

Thanks
sfeeley

PostPosted: Thu 29 Mar 2012, 15:11    Post subject:  

Quote:
for a few days I have been using Puppy Linux 421 as a live CD with an on-harddisk file as well.

I think you mean that you have been using the live CD to boot into puppy linux 421, and then having your settings saved on a savefile on the harddisk. Is this correct?

Quote:
When LPL 528 boots up, it seems unaware of the existing on-harddisk file for PL 421.

This is normal, as at boot, a CD will only look for the savefiles that correspond to it (in other words Puppy 528 will only look for 528 savefiles)

Quote:
Should I or can I delete the PL 421 on-harddisk files? If so, how do I do that?

You don't really need to. If you're looking for extra space and are sure that you won't be using 421 any more you can delete them, but its not that important in the scheme of things--more like house keeping.

If you do want to delete the savefiles from 421-- they will be at this location:
/mnt/home

you can get there by clicking the harddrive icon at the bottom left of your screen. In most puppies, /mnt/home will always have a little yellow (or sometimes other color) dot on it. (this signifies that that location is permanently in use because its where your savefile is).

The actual save files will be whatever you named them.

There may have been an additional folder placed on your harddrive at /mnt/home (you would have been given the option to move this folder to your harddrive from your CD in order to speed up boot. If you said no, don't worry about it).
It will have a bunch of numbers. Click on the folder to open it, and it will have some sort of name like lupu-520.sfs (for puppy 520 -- I don't know exactly what it is for 421, but probably similarly named). You can delete this too.

Quote:
If this involves partitions, then I do not understand partitions.

-If you haven't done anything with partitions so far, the answer is probably not.
Partitions are basically a way of slicing up your harddrive to make your computer think that it has multiple harddrives, when in fact there is only one. Windows does this too. For example, I have only 1 "real" harddrive on my laptop, but it came installed with windows which thinks that it has 2-- a C drive and a D drive.
This can be useful to organize stuff, keep things segregated from each other, and the like.

Two last thoughts:
1) I repeat, its probably not necessary to do any of this deleting, unless you really want to.
2) Why not take the time to make a quick backup. If you copy these savefiles at /mnt/home (they will have whatever name you gave them) to a thumb drive, CD, or whatever, you can easily put them back if you some how screw up your system. One of the glories of puppy is that you can back up all your settings by copying the one file.
(depending on where you put things like documents, those might be in that file to back up, or elsewhere).
recycler99uk

PostPosted: Sat 31 Mar 2012, 10:23    Post subject:  

"I think you mean that you have been using the live CD to boot into puppy linux 421, and then having your settings saved on a savefile on the harddisk. Is this correct?"

Yes.
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: