How to install NVS 3100M nVidia driver in Lenovo laptop?

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
The_Pirate

How to install NVS 3100M nVidia driver in Lenovo laptop?

#1 Post by The_Pirate »

Hi -
I'm attempting to run HurtMePlenty-01 on a 3.9Gb flash stick... It took a bit of wrestling, but now everything works.

Except the nVidia driver.

It is my company laptop - big Levono, lots of ram, nVidia NVS 3100M on-board graphics card and a lovely 1600x900 LCD screen.

Unfortunately, the script to run the nVidia install seems broken. If i go trough all the steps in the script 'by hand', X won't start with the existing 'nvidia' driver.
I tried downloading the driver from nVidia's support page - and had to copy ld and other software from my Ubuntu desktop. When it finally asked for gcc, i cracked and gave up. And games don't look too good on 'vesa'...

Does anyone have a precompiled nVidia driver - just a binary - that will run with an NVS 3100M? And/or a few instructions? Pweeeeease?

puppyluvr

#2 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
You must have the devx and kernel sources installed to built the nvidia driver for your machine.. I have an nvidia tutorial on this....
From here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=73805
From the Murga forum, in case it helps anyone..
How to compile a video driver:

NVidia for my sons Wary...

His machine is a Sony Vaio Desktop
1.4g P4, 128mb ram, 512mb swap
NVidia geforce 400 video card...

How?
Make sure you have about 200mb free space in your save file first..

1 Download the NVidia Linux package for your card.
For his it was :
Nvidia-Linux-x86-93.43.20-pkg1.run

2 Download the devx for your system.
His is Wary 5.10 so wary_devx.510.sfs.

3 Download the kernel sources for your system.
His was kernel sources 2.6.32.28.sfs

4 Enable both sfs files in the bootmanager, and reboot..

5 After rebooting, and making sure both sfs files are enabled..
Drop out of X to the command prompt and run the installer..
For his I typed:
/mnt/home/Nvidia-Linux-x86-93.43.20-pkg1.run
Let the installer do its thing, and watch for any errors..
(If you have the wrong driver, which I did the first time around, the installer scans your card, and will tell you which package you need...)
When it is finished, reboot...
After rebooting, run xorgwizard, and choose nvidia..
Ta-da...
The Devx for Fatdog will contain the ld /gcc/etc you need to compile programs on Fatdog.. The kernel source is only needed for kernel specific things, like video drivers or Virtualbox...
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

The_Pirate

#3 Post by The_Pirate »

Thanks puppyluvr, but knowing how to do it is not the problem - i quite often build nVidia modules on my stationary machines.
I'm sorry, i have not been specific enough. I need the loose kernel with modules, and possibly a snip from the xorg.conf to show what modifications from the default is needed.

I cannot build a new kernel & modules: i am out of space on my memory stick. There is no room for all the junk i need to build a NVS kernel module.
I cannot use the harddisk in the machine: it is a company machine, and if i install 'unlicensed' software on it, i get the sack. That has happened (for others!) on several occations. The company i work for is ultra-conservative, have very little understanding of computers - they believe Microsoft invented the computer, and anything else is heresey!

A good solution for most other nVidias would have been to build the kernel on a stationary machine, then transfer it. But the NVS seems to be too special to do that...

I'm not really sure if nVidia's license even allow this transfer?

I am very open to suggestions.