Wary and Racy 5.3 final

Please post any bugs you have found
Clive

#166 Post by Clive »

deleted
Last edited by Clive on Sat 08 Sep 2012, 22:59, edited 1 time in total.

Clive

Osmo bug?

#167 Post by Clive »

deleted
Last edited by Clive on Sat 08 Sep 2012, 22:59, edited 1 time in total.

rjbrewer

#168 Post by rjbrewer »

Clive wrote:
It's the at76c50x-usb and is in Wary but may need to be
loaded from "load modules" in the network wizard.
Thanks. I had tried that, but it came up with a 'nothing found' type message and suggested 'unload module'.
Have you tried this?

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 672#627518

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

npierce

Osmo bug?

#169 Post by npierce »

Clive wrote:. . . right clicking a day and selecting the day color option only has a choice of NONE, so you can't highlight particular days to particular colours.
Osmo does not have the most intuitive interface in the world.

In order to be able to select colours you need to define additional colours. Very likely you have already tried to do so, but have not found out where they can be defined. This is because the preferences dialog refers to them as "Day categories", not "colors".

Go to Preferences -> Calendar -> Day categories and click the button below the bottom left corner of the big empty list box -- that's the mystery button that is not labeled except for a big grey rectangle. This brings up a colour selector dialog. Choose your colour, click OK, then type a name in the box to the right of the mystery button (whose rectangle should now be filled with your chosen colour), and hit Enter or click the + button.
Clive wrote:I can't seem to change the "Day note marker" to any other character (or rather you can change it, but it resets back to the default each time).
The background colour of text entry boxes in Osmo dialogs turns yellow to indicate that the user is editing the entry. When the user finishes editing the entry, she needs to press Enter or the edit will be ignored. The backgound colour of the entry will then turn white again.

I suspect that this works as intended by the Osmo developer, although many users might expect that closing the dialog would also indicate that the edit was complete. If you would like to see this changed, you could post to the Osmo Tracker at Osmo Tracker: Feature Requests or Osmo Tracker: Bugs.

Clive

Re: Osmo bug?

#170 Post by Clive »

deleted
Last edited by Clive on Sat 08 Sep 2012, 23:00, edited 1 time in total.

npierce

Re: Osmo bug?

#171 Post by npierce »

You're welcome.

May your days be many and colourful. :)

tuxtoo

Geeqie from PPM crashes in Wary-5.3

#172 Post by tuxtoo »

I have a HD install of Wary-512 and geeqie-1.0-i486.pet from the PPM works without any problems.

Firing up the live CD of Wary-5.3 and installing geeqie from the PPM seems to work until you navigate to a folder using geeqie's filer. When you navigate to a folder containing an image geeqie immediately crashes.

In trying to narrow down the problem I created four folders named; gif, jpg, png and tif. and put an image in each folder with the appropriate file extension. In attempting to find if it was a particular file type that was crashing geeqie. It turned out that each of the four image types above all crashed geeqie.

UPDATE:

I came across this version: geeqie-1.0alpha3-i486.pet here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=300260 and it appears to work ok in Wary-5.3.

Clive

#173 Post by Clive »

deleted
Last edited by Clive on Sat 08 Sep 2012, 23:00, edited 1 time in total.

Clive

Bug - Desktop icons and sfs changes

#174 Post by Clive »

deleted
Last edited by Clive on Sat 08 Sep 2012, 23:01, edited 1 time in total.

Clive

#175 Post by Clive »

deleted
Last edited by Clive on Sat 08 Sep 2012, 23:01, edited 1 time in total.

Clive

Quick Launch button

#176 Post by Clive »

deleted
Last edited by Clive on Sat 08 Sep 2012, 23:02, edited 1 time in total.

Clive

#177 Post by Clive »

deleted

rjbrewer

#178 Post by rjbrewer »

Clive;:

Some Ubuntu users have solved the de-authenticating problem by
first deleting existing wpa profiles.

In Puppy they are located at /etc/network wizard/wireless.

http://azitech.wordpress.com/2010/02/22 ... g-reason3/

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

Clive

#179 Post by Clive »

deleted

Clive

F5D6050 Belkin Wireless USB

#180 Post by Clive »

deleted
Last edited by Clive on Sat 08 Sep 2012, 23:03, edited 1 time in total.

npierce

Some PPM versioning problems

#181 Post by npierce »

Forum member elroy seems to have run into a bug in the Puppy Package Manager:
elroy wrote:I have a problem with a .pet I’ve created. It requires a version of java that’s greater than or equal to a said version; upon install (while downloading - trying to locate missing deps) it insists on downloading an earlier version.
(See How to make my .pet download the correct Java version?)

Note that he seems to have two problems:

A. PPM offers to install a version that does not meet the specification.
B. PPM doesn't offer to install a version that does meet the specification.

When I have tried this it offers to install both. So I do not know if problem B is a bug or something else. The remainder of this post concerns itself only with problem A.

Looking into this, I have found a few problems with the version checking code in dependencies.sh. Although I am running Racy 5.2.2, I'm reporting it here (in the 5.3 thread) because I've tried the current suite of petget scripts from Woof2 and the same problems arise.

1. The major problem seems to be that, although findmissingpkgs.sh creates the /tmp/petget_missingpkgs_patterns_with_versioning file, which contains the versioning requirements of the missing dependency packages, dependencies.sh never reads it.

2. The format of the entries in the /tmp/petget_missingpkgs_patterns_with_versioning file differs from what the code in dependencies.sh expects. The format in the file looks like this:

Code: Select all

|udev|eq167-patched_t2-w5|
But the format expected by the code in dependencies.sh looks like this:

|udev&eq167-patched_t2-w5|
3. Repositories often have multiple versions of a package. Before the versioning code was added, a single grep could find all versions in a repo's database. But with the added need to check versioning, a loop is needed to individually compare the versions of each dependency package with the requirements of the package being installed. (Without the loop strange things happen: like comparing the required version string with a string that is a concatenation of the multiple versions in the repo, separated by newline characters.)

Looking over the code, I have come up with a few ideas on how to deal with these problems. There are certainly other, perhaps better, ways, but I'll submit these ideas as suggestions.

I am attaching a revised dependencies.sh (based on the version that I grabbed from Woof2 fossil. I'm also attaching a diff file, but it is short, so I'll paste it here as well. I've split it up into three pieces and have added notes that I hope will explain my not too twisted logic. :)

--- old/dependencies.sh	2012-08-25 17:49:22.955287915 -0400
+++ new/dependencies.sh	2012-08-25 21:39:16.027231096 -0400
@@ -129,9 +129,10 @@
 rm -f /tmp/petget_missing_dbentries* 2>/dev/null
 #for depPATTERN in `cat /tmp/petget_missingpkgs_patterns` #ex depPATTERN=|kdelibs| ex2: |kdelibs&gt2.3.6|
 #111107 01micko: fix for '||' messing things up...
-for depPATTERN in `grep '[a-zA-Z]' /tmp/petget_missingpkgs_patterns` #ex depPATTERN=|kdelibs| ex2: |kdelibs&gt2.3.6|. 120221 jemimah
+for depPATTERN in `grep '[a-zA-Z]' /tmp/petget_missingpkgs_patterns_with_versioning` #ex depPATTERN=|kdelibs| ex2: |kdelibs&gt2.3.6|. 120221 jemimah
 do

+ depPATTERN="`echo -n "$depPATTERN" | sed -e 's%|%\&%g' -e 's%^\&%|%' -e 's%\&$%|%'`"
  #110722 separate out any versioning... (see also findmissingpkgs.sh)
  xdepPATTERN="`echo -n "$depPATTERN" | sed -e 's%&.*%|%'`" #ex: changes |kdelibs&gt2.3.6| to |kdelibs|
  depVERSIONING="`echo -n "$depPATTERN" | grep -o '&.*' | tr -d '|'`" #ex: &gt2.3.6
One line was modified to read file with versioning requirements.

One line added to convert the format into what dependencies.sh expects.

@@ -148,8 +149,12 @@
  do
   DBFILE="`basename $ONEREPODB`" #ex: Packages-slackware-12.2-official
   #find database entry(s) for this package...
-  DB_ENTRY="`cat $ONEREPODB | grep "$depPATTERN"`"
-  if [ "$DB_ENTRY" != "" ];then
+  FOUND_IN_DB=""
+  DB_ENTRIES="`cat $ONEREPODB | grep "$xdepPATTERN"`"
+  while [ -n "$DB_ENTRIES" ] ;
+  do
+   DB_ENTRY="`echo -n "$DB_ENTRIES" | head -n 1`"
+   DB_ENTRIES="`echo -n "$DB_ENTRIES" | tail -n +2`"
    DB_version="`echo -n "$DB_ENTRY" | cut -f 3 -d '|'`"
    if [ "$depVERSIONING" ];then #110722
     #110822 support chained operators...
The grep is now used to initialize a new variable, $DB_ENTRIES, which can have multiple entries, instead of $DB_ENTRY. The latter is now set to the individual entries as the while loop (that replaced the if block) progresses.

Another new variable, $FOUND_IN_DB, keeps track of whether or not a good package was found in this repo's database.

@@ -164,7 +169,7 @@
     done
     if [ "$condFLG" = "good" ];then
      echo "$DB_ENTRY" >> /tmp/petget_missing_dbentries-${DBFILE}-2
-     break
+     FOUND_IN_DB="good"
     fi
     #if vercmp ${DB_version} ${VERTEST_OP} ${VERTEST_VAL};then
     # echo "$DB_ENTRY" >> /tmp/petget_missing_dbentries-${DBFILE}-2
@@ -172,8 +177,11 @@
     #fi
    else
     echo "$DB_ENTRY" >> /tmp/petget_missing_dbentries-${DBFILE}-2
-    break
+    FOUND_IN_DB="good"
    fi
+  done # DB_ENTRIES loop
+  if [ "$FOUND_IN_DB" = "good" ];then
+   break ;
   fi
  done
 done
Previously, when a good package was found, the code would break out of the loop that looped through the various repo databases. But now those breaks would break out of the new loop that loops through the various versions of the dependency package in the current database. We don't want to do that, since we want to provide a list of all compatible versions in the current database, so we just set a flag to indicate that at least one was found in the current data base. Then after that loop finishes we test it, and if it is good we break out of the loop that loops through the various repo databases.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I hasten to add that I am not very familiar with the scripts in petget. Although my changes seem to be working okay in my preliminary testing, I am hoping that someone more familiar with the code (Hi Barry!) will look this over to ensure that it makes sense and doesn't add more bugs than it squashes. :)

EDIT, 2012-Sep-07: In fact, there was at least one bug in my code. By using petget_missingpkgs_patterns_with_versioning, I neglected any dependencies of the dependencies (and any dependencies of the dependencies of the dependencies, etc.) that were added to petget_missingpkgs_patterns by the code earlier in dependencies.sh. Thankfully, Barry noticed that and "re-implemented" the fix with code that works properly. (See Barry's blog: PPM: deps versioning re-fixed)

So the attached files are now obsolete. The latest dependencies.sh can be found in Woof2 fossil. [END OF EDIT]

Also, anyone testing this needs to be aware that just plugging my modified dependencies.sh into an old Puppy will probably not work. One also needs to get the current versions of the other files in /usr/local/petget/ from Woof2 fossil.
Attachments
dependencies.diff.gz
Differences between current Woof2 and my suggestions
(913 Bytes) Downloaded 772 times
dependencies.sh.gz
Based on current Woof2, modified with my suggestions
(2.78 KiB) Downloaded 738 times
Last edited by npierce on Fri 07 Sep 2012, 15:42, edited 1 time in total.

backi

#182 Post by backi »

Hi everyone !
Please have a look at CPU frequence scaling tool .
Cpu scaling tool did not work for me .
Installed the one from Slacko . Now it does .

...and cant get my HP f300 printer working ....Cups does not find it .
Scanning works ...
Does anybody know something ...

rcrsn51

#183 Post by rcrsn51 »

backi wrote:...and cant get my HP f300 printer working ....Cups does not find it .Scanning works ....
What printer/scanner drivers have you installed?

Run the CUPS wizard and click on Administration > Find New Printers. What do you see?

Then click Manage Printers.

After a scanning session, some HP units need to be rebooted before they become visible again as printers.

`f00

#184 Post by `f00 »

Possibly related to earlier post by Argolance on pg1, the "ugly font with strange characters" part?

Although I don't notice strange characters, there seems to be an issue with missing charsets. This stops treewm window manager from loading at all (a fresh compile to racy's kernel also fails) - curious, I tried many different fonts and even the 'fallback' fixed font fails (they all are "missing charsets").

Was about to give it up as simply not doable (for me, anyway). Then fvwm (version 262) gave me some specific details about the missing charsets when I tried some changes relating to font customization in the fvwm ui. A snippet from xerrs.log:

Missing font charsets: ISO8859-7, ISO8859-13, ISO8859-14, JISX0208.1983-0, KSC5601.1987-0, GB2312.1980-0, JISX0201.1976-0

Anyone else having this missing charsets issue? Or any light on how to solve would be appreciated as well.

Possibly not even a bug (and so ot here) for a 'vanilla' oem racy 5.3 .. but I generally mess that vanilla up fairly quickly.

vidcard0 - RV280 (aka ATI Radeon 9200), AGP
vidcard1 - not used, but also RV280 (switched off in BIOS - aka Radeon 9200SE), PCI (old-style)
soundcard - emu10k1 (aka Creative Audigy 2 ZS or SB0350)
boot/save method - liveCD multisession (cd-rw media)
limitations - no printer, no internet connection

___addenda 120901___

The 'light' came by way of Zigbert (an old topic somewhere in this forum), thanks.

'solved' by an untick in Quick Setup screencap link @157k
.. my mileage did vary on the recommendation, but it's all good on the road :)

tlc08071

Black screen when booting into either Slacko or Wary puppy 5

#185 Post by tlc08071 »

I am trying to run puppy on an Acer Aspire 5734Z laptop. I downloaded and burnt to disk both puppy slacko and wary and tried to boot each up on my laptop but once either of them are completely booted all I get is a black screen. However, when I hit the power button to shut the system down just as the pc starts shutting down it looks like there are a few windows open on the desktop then the pc shuts down and thats it.
I do not have a hard drive cause the 1 that came with my laptop took a crap on me so I decided to use 1 of the puppy installs on my 32gb Microsd card from my phone till I can get a new hard drive. However, to free up the sd card so I can put it back in my phone I wanted to run puppy on a dvd but like I said, once fully booted all I get is a black screen till shut down which by that point its to late.
I do have puppy linux 5.2.8 running on the microsd card in my laptop and it runs good so far but wanted to install the newest linux. So you should know that i'm a complete noob when it comes to puppy linux os's. I still haven't figured out how to use the CMD commands so i'm pretty much lost when it comes to doing any kind of install to this OS.
Thank you anyone for any help you can give me.
TC