checking X11/Xlib.h usability... yes
checking X11/Xlib.h presence... yes
checking for X11/Xlib.h... yes
checking X11/extensions/Xv.h usability... yes
checking X11/extensions/Xv.h presence... yes
checking for X11/extensions/Xv.h... yes
checking for X11/extensions/Xvlib.h... yes
checking for XvCreateImage in -lXv... no
configure: error: No X video output API found. Please install X11+Xv headers.
configure: error: ./configure failed for mediastreamer2
i've tried install the .dev files for libx11 and libxv but still get this error..... what am i missing?
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

pemasu

#77 Post by pemasu »

# find /root/my-documents/x_xorg76_mega_pkg_DEV-7.6-5-w5c -name "Xv*"
/root/my-documents/x_xorg76_mega_pkg_DEV-7.6-5-w5c/usr/X11R7/include/X11/extensions/Xvlib.h

/root/my-documents/x_xorg76_mega_pkg_DEV-7.6-5-w5c/usr/X11R7/include/X11/extensions/Xv.h

http://her.gr.distfiles.macports.org/mi ... -5-w5c.pet

DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS:
yes|x_xorg76_mega_pkg|x_xorg76_mega_pkg|exe,dev,doc,nls| #RACY Xorg 7.6 mega-pkg

firak

#78 Post by firak »

Racy work better then others on my neetbok - atom based.
On my asus 1215p - the micropone is finally sopported and working.
Heavy browsing (10 tabs)+ falsh videos, seems folwing better then 528Puppyes, for this atom cpu.
Wireless cofig perstency - happend ounly after 4th time I store the IP adress.

I think that is a great distro , whit the new kernel,and a full repository of programs!

vtpup

#79 Post by vtpup »

666philb wrote:
vtpup wrote:
666philb wrote:gnome-mplayer may need you graphic drivers installed to change the screen size
Thanks 666philb, but which drivers do you mean? (my graphics hardware is reported as: Intel 2nd generation core processor family integrated graphics controller )

btw VLC has no problem with graphics screen sizing on this same computer. Why would Mplayer require specialized video drivers?
i just found that gnome-mplayer requires your video drivers to change screen size (vlc doesn't though).... don't know why.... but on a fresh install i have the same problem as you until i either install nvidia /ati / or xorg high drivers.
video drivers is one of the first things i install on a fresh install
Thanks for the explanation 666philb. Which xorg high driver for Racy?

I tried one earlier in the week and it crashed X. I didn't know how to boot into Racy after that to remove the pet so I had to start with a completely fresh personal savefile. Had to hard reset, and the lcd driver was sounding like damage was imminent. Tried a pfix=clean from the CD, but that didn't solve it. Had to hard reset again. Didn't do the filesystem any good to hard shut either, and it messed up some files outside of puppy, despite pfix=fsck in grub start line..

Been reluctant to try one again unless I know exactly what to load. I've noticed that several items in the "official repository" have fatal problems -- a first in my experience in 4 years of using main line puppies.

Is Racy just hitting on Wary repositories for.pets and sfs that are in fact untested and inappropriate for it?

Anyway, I'd be glad to try xorg high (for many reasons) if it didn't crash X, or if there was a way to remove it once installed if it did crash X.again.
[color=darkblue]Acer Aspire 5349-2635 laptop Tahrpup.[/color]
[color=blue]Acer R11 and C720 Chromebks Bionicpup64[/color]
[color=olive]Acer Iconia A1-830 tablet no pup[/color]
[color=orange]www.sredmond.com[/color]

01micko

#80 Post by 01micko »

vtpup

"Xorg High" is essentially "mesa", which Racy has built in so there is no more you can do as far as intel is concerned apart from recompiling Xorg and adding features which Barry has left out. I don't know what they would be exactly but I do know he made a concerted effort to remove xcb.

Perhaps there are options you can enable in /etc/X11/xorg.conf for your particular video card. That is an exercise which will require plenty of searching. Arch wiki is always a good place to start.

HTH
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

vtpup

#81 Post by vtpup »

thanks 01micko for the explanation. I don't think it's worth pursuing further then.

The only program this seems to affect is gmplayer. VLC doesn't have the view re-size problem. So I can simply make that the default.

Otherwise, graphics intensive and typically difficult programs seem to run well. For instance, I can run Google Sketchup (3D CAD) in Wine.

So doesn't seem worth it jto try to solve ust for a gmplayer quirk, unless I find some other problem down the road.

I'm still curious for future reference, how one could recover from a messed up video driver .pet installation. Is there a way to remove the .pet and restore the former Xorg system?

I imagine it would be a sequence performed in the console before starting X. Can you remove a .pet from the command line?

Seemed like if there was something wrong with xorg, you used to be able to boot into xvesa and correct it. But I don't think I saw that as an option this last time -- or maybe it didn't work. Can't quite remember.

666philb

#82 Post by 666philb »

pemasu wrote:# find /root/my-documents/x_xorg76_mega_pkg_DEV-7.6-5-w5c -name "Xv*"
/root/my-documents/x_xorg76_mega_pkg_DEV-7.6-5-w5c/usr/X11R7/include/X11/extensions/Xvlib.h

/root/my-documents/x_xorg76_mega_pkg_DEV-7.6-5-w5c/usr/X11R7/include/X11/extensions/Xv.h

http://her.gr.distfiles.macports.org/mi ... -5-w5c.pet

DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS:
yes|x_xorg76_mega_pkg|x_xorg76_mega_pkg|exe,dev,doc,nls| #RACY Xorg 7.6 mega-pkg
hi pemasu.... is that for me?

i'm still getting the same error
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

Karl Godt

#83 Post by Karl Godt »

There are two possibilities :
1) The configure script is testing something not correctly (buggy or lacks options)
2) the needed library does not include the needed function (function not enabled at compile time, function not implemented (anymore) in library or library not found in the search PATH)

rjbrewer

#84 Post by rjbrewer »

One Gmplayer solution with Racy:

My Latitude D820 has 945gm graphics.
The default boot loads vesa, which gives the big yellow
border when trying to use Mplayer full screen.
Running Xorgwizard and choosing "intel Intel" solves the
problem.

Having a PAE kernel is useless for machines with 945 graphics.
It will not read past 3.3 of the 4Gb of ram.

edit:

Deleteing the i915 files from the new (3.xx) kernel versions
increases glxgears speed from 20fps to 330 fps on the
Latitude.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

vtpup

#85 Post by vtpup »

After trying out 5 other late kernel Puppies and testing for a week, Racy is the clear winner on this brand new dual proccesor machine. It is far superior to the others in performing graphics intensive CADs through Wine.

Racy 53 also worked perfectly out of the box with wireless, and sound, and the screen dimming keys also worked.

Racy will now be the day-to-day operating system for this computer. It replaces Puppy 4.3.2 v3 and my old Thinkpad T43, which gave years of stable use as a heavy duty work computer.

Thank you Barry for this solid high-performance OS!

(EDIT: blacklisting i915 module caused big problems with this particular computer, overloading the proc when clicking on desktop icons. Restoring i915 to the loaded modules solved the problem. I'm not messing with the graphics system any more. Performance is great using vanilla setup and simply choosing "Probe" in xorgwizard.)

vtpup

#86 Post by vtpup »

It looks like the new Puppy wallpaper setter actually alters image files in /Usr/share/backgrounds/.

I put an image in there, and running the wallpaper setter actually cropped the image and saved the new file over the old one!

In Nathan wallpaper setter, the image wasn't overwritten in /.../backgrounds, and you could select it and show it uncropped as a tile or centered, etc.

This new wallpaper setter actually messes up the image, and once that happens you can never go back to showing the whole image as a tile or centered. It seems to serially re-write the image every time you make a change.

I'd like to get rid of this app and bring back Nathan Wallpaper setter on this computer, if possible.

Programs like these should never re-write an image!

EDIT: Clarification -- I was using an image that was larger than the screen pixel dimensions, and the monitor is a wide screen.

Basically the wallpaper setter cropped the image to wide screen aspect ratio, then saved it over the original image.

This destroyed a lot of the original image. When I tried to "center" or "tile" it to see the original whole image, it didn't work because the new cropped and saved image exactly fit the screen. I had expected that the original image would be retained and fit onto the screen with gray space at the edges when "centered".

I've subsequently found that if I use an image that is smaller than the screen, centering and tiling work. I do not believe under these circumstances that the image is re-written. But I'm not sure about the stretch option which may rewrite the image. Haven't tested that.
Last edited by vtpup on Mon 30 Apr 2012, 21:10, edited 2 times in total.

rjbrewer

#87 Post by rjbrewer »

vtpup wrote:

(EDIT: blacklisting i915 module caused big problems with this particular computer, overloading the proc when clicking on desktop icons. Restoring i915 to the loaded modules solved the problem. I'm not messing with the graphics system any more. Performance is great using vanilla setup and simply choosing "Probe" in xorgwizard.)
Trashing and blacklisting are 2 totally different things.

Full installs

vtpup

#88 Post by vtpup »

RJBrewer, would you explain further in relation to i915 files:

1.) Why it would be desirable to trash them? What do they do and why would they interfere with graphics speed?

2.) What is the difference in system modules loaded and running between either trashing all i915 files, or blacklisting the i915 module?

rjbrewer

#89 Post by rjbrewer »

vtpup wrote:RJBrewer, would you explain further in relation to i915 files:

1.) Why it would be desirable to trash them? What do they do and why would they interfere with graphics speed?

2.) What is the difference in system modules loaded and running between either trashing all i915 files, or blacklisting the i915 module?
If I go to setup-configure startup-blacklist modules and
blacklist i915; i915 still appears in the loaded list and the
blacklist list.
It generally has no effect or a negative effect on glxgears.

Trashing a few major i915 modules increases glxgears fps
on both my 855gm and 945gm laptops in some (but not
all) cases.

On the 945gm Latitude the fps jumped from 20fps to 300
fps.
Unfortunately, when I rebooted it wasn't possible to restart
x. May be related to running frugal as I don't have a hard drive
for that machine yet and I always use full installs if possible.

i915 modeset was a hot topic back when Lupu was just
getting started and was pushed as a cure for intel graphic
black screen and shutdown problems.
I found that using i810 module was a much better solution
on my 855gm laptop.

I have no way of knowing what is going to work without
setting up experimental installs.

Full installs

vtpup

#90 Post by vtpup »

rjbrewer wrote: On the 945gm Latitude the fps jumped from 20fps to 300
fps.
for that machine yet and I always use full installs if possible
Same here, and I use frugal installs.

Were you able to recover from the X problem?

I'd really like to know how such a system (say from a blacklisted i915) could be repaired without trashing the personal savefile and starting over.

Is it possible to un-blacklist a video module if you can't start X and you get a black screen with blinking cursor, and no key response.

I did try pfix=clean in the grub menu.lst stanza but that made no difference to the start up problem. Didn't try pfix=purge.

Seems like there might be a less extreme alternative means if you could boot to terminal and then load the blacklisted module, and then do an xwin to boot to X with module in place. Then use Bootmanager to un-blacklist the module. Then re-start.

But what pfix line boots to cursor, and what are the commands to load a module from console, say i915?

I'd like to just know this stuff in case of any similar future X problems.

Karl Godt

#91 Post by Karl Godt »

vtpup wrote:
rjbrewer wrote: On the 945gm Latitude the fps jumped from 20fps to 300
fps.
for that machine yet and I always use full installs if possible
Same here, and I use frugal installs.

I'd really like to know how such a system (say from a blacklisted i915) could be repaired without trashing the personal savefile and starting over.

Is it possible to un-blacklist a video module if you can't start X and you get a black screen with blinking cursor, and no key response.

I did try pfix=clean in the grub menu.lst stanza but that made no difference to the start up problem. Didn't try pfix=purge.

Seems like there might be a less extreme alternative means if you could boot to terminal and then load the blacklisted module, and then do an xwin to boot to X with module in place. Then use Bootmanager to un-blacklist the module. Then re-start.

But what pfix line boots to cursor, and what are the commands to load a module from console, say i915?

I'd like to just know this stuff in case of any similar future X problems.
Newer Intel graphic chips (900+) and goo' old Xorg-1.3.0 intel_drv.so from Puppy-4.3 don't play very well together .

Newer Xorg-1.7+ since Lupu should be fine with i915.ko and Xorg's driver intel(_drv.so) .

Blacklisting using the bootmanager adds to the modprobe configuration file used to autoload kernel drivers at boot time (/tmp/modprobe.conf) . Xorg itself seems to be capable to load drivers itself and won't care about /tmp/modprobe.conf . Former puppy modprobe-v3.6 seems to be patched to automatically obey /etc/i[modprobe.d]/[modprobe.conf]* blacklist DRIVERNAME entries , while it is not the default . To make modprobe command obey blacklist entries , modprobe has to be aliased in configuration files like "alias modprobe='modprobe -b'" in /etc/profile , same as already "ls" is aliased there .

To load i915 for example :

Code: Select all

modprobe -v i915 modeset=0
or

modprobe -v i915 modeset=1
What modeset actually does is still not clear to me ...

There is also the insmod command, but it requires the full path/driver-file-name.extension :

insmod /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915.ko[.gz]
To remove a module :

modprobe -vr i915
or

rmmod i915

rjbrewer

#92 Post by rjbrewer »

vtpup wrote:

Guess that's why constant backups are necessary with
frugal.

With full installs; I just pop in the cd, rerun the install, choose
upgrade instead of wipe, and it fixes any file problems
without destroying my setups.

Full installs

npierce

#93 Post by npierce »

vtpup wrote:Can you remove a .pet from the command line?
While I don't know about Racy 5.3, this worked from the text console in Puppy 4.3.1:

petget -packagename
Notice the minus sign before the name, and the lack of ".pet" after it.

(The opposite was not true: petget could not install from the text console in 4.3.1, it only downloaded the pet.)
vtpup wrote:But what pfix line boots to cursor . . .

puppy pfix=nox

vtpup

#94 Post by vtpup »

Thanks very much Karl Godt and npierce, that information is very very valuable to understand, and to have. I'm writing it in a little notebook I keep by the computer. I guess it would be a good idea to add all of the pfix commands there, too.

that -packagename is very cool......

vtpup

#95 Post by vtpup »

Possible bug -- just mentioning it here as a bug report -- I've raised a separate request for personal help on this in the regular User's forum.

Symptoms:

After a couple weeks of using Racy53, I'm suddenly getting many instances of a process called kworker. These use up processor resources to the point that the OS is inoperable a few seconds after X starts. I have to hard reset with the on-off button. Menu shutdown, Alt-Ctl-Del doesn't work. Can't open a terminal for poweroff, either. Well maybe if I could do it quick enough.....

The computer is listed in the sig below. This computer and Racy53 were working fine yesterday evening. I haven't installed any hardware or software since then, or made any changes at all. I did not have any hard shutdowns, or suspends before this occurrence. Now I have, of course.

The computer hardware seems to be fine, I am dual booted right now into Upup Precise to write this.