ancestory files editor

Requests go here. If you fill a request, give it a new thread in the appropriate category and then link to it in the request thread.
emmauspaul

ancestory files editor

#1 Post by emmauspaul »

Is anyone aware of any puppy software that will edit .ged files
they are files which edit family trees

thanks

paul
:lol:

davids45

#2 Post by davids45 »

G'day emmauspaul,

As gedcom files are text files, there are several options:

1) use ROX to go to the gedcom you wish to edit and simply right-click the mouse and choose "Open As Text" from the menu that pops up
2) or after the right-click menu opens, choose "Set Run Action" and drag the desktop/pinboard "write" icon to the middle of the dialog box so when you next left-click the gedcom, it opens with the default word-processor
3) or drag the desktop "edit" icon into the "Set Run Action" box so the gedcom opens with the default text editor
4) or if you have Libre Office, and a pinboard/desk-top icon for its writer, drag that to the "Set Run Action" box.

If you have a Windows program that you have used to edit your .ged files and would prefer to keep using it, get green-dome's latest wine pet (or sfs if you're using a Frugal Pup), get that running then see if your Windows ged-editor program will run under wine by clicking its .exe file.

I have RootsMagic, PAF and Legacy running under Puppy using wine this way. There is also a linux-only genealogy program Gramps for which there is a pet (search the Forum). These can all create and import gedcoms I believe.

David S.

emmauspaul

ged files

#3 Post by emmauspaul »

Many Thanks for your help David

Paul :D

Pelo

RSH provides an SFS for version 3.4.1.

#4 Post by Pelo »

davids45 gives a solution neverteless RSH provides an SFS for version 3.4.1.ied, buried with ancestris. I am used to Gramps, our german colleague RSH provides an SFS for version 3.4.1. Perfect with a Slacko 5.3.3.
pets many pets for gramps began in 2013. click the blue (or pink) to jump to the topic.
beware not sure you can use Gramps with Puppy Slackoes born later than Slacko 5.5. :(
Attachments
sommaire.jpg
Description
(76.94 KiB) Downloaded 185 times
Last edited by Pelo on Sat 23 Sep 2017, 05:40, edited 3 times in total.

Pelo

Gramps 4.0.3 is provided by Topless,

#5 Post by Pelo »

Gramps 4.0.3 is provided by Topless, via PPM. It is installed now
Does it work ? i let German users be the first to make a try. Oui should be interested.
Attachments
Verdun.png
German , but French soldier
(63.86 KiB) Downloaded 199 times
Last edited by Pelo on Sat 23 Sep 2017, 05:42, edited 2 times in total.

davids45

Gramps - Python version?

#6 Post by davids45 »

G'day Pelo,
Gramps 4.0.3 is provided by Topless, vie PPM
Is this Gramps the newest version?
What version of Python does it require?

While I find Gramps (3.4.1-1) very slow to start on my computer, it does show my genealogy data, so I have it as a Linux back-up for my Windows/Wine Legacy.

I am having segmentation faults with Gramps in new Pups having python-2.6.4. (screenshot)

My typical Gramps settings (Slacko6999k4111, with gramps in a sfs):

# gramps --version
Gramps Settings:
----------------
python : 2.6.4
gramps : 3.4.1-1
gtk++ : 2.24.31
pygtk : 2.14.1
gobject : 2.18.0
Not using bsddb3
bsddb : 4.7.3
bsddb.db : (4, 4, 20)
cairo : 1.8.8
osmgpsmap : not found
pyexiv2 : not found
o.s. : Linux
kernel : 4.1.11

Environment settings:
---------------------
LANG : en_AU.UTF-8
LANGUAGE : en_AU.UTF-8
GRAMPSI18N: not set
GRAMPSHOME: not set
GRAMPSDIR : /usr/share/gramps
PYTHONPATH:
/usr/share/gramps
/usr/lib/python26.zip
/usr/lib/python2.6
/usr/lib/python2.6/plat-linux2
/usr/lib/python2.6/lib-tk
/usr/lib/python2.6/lib-old
/usr/lib/python2.6/lib-dynload
/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages
/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/gtk-2.0

Non-python dependencies:
------------------------
Graphviz : Graphviz not in system PATH
Ghostscr. : 9.05

System PATH env variable:
-------------------------
/bin
/usr/bin
/sbin
/usr/sbin
/usr/local/bin
/root/my-applications/bin
/usr/games

#

If anyone in your interest group thinks their Gramps would work for me, I'd be happy to try a version.

Thanks for any help or advice.

David S.
Attachments
gramps-segmentation.jpg
(13 KiB) Downloaded 218 times

Pelo

It's better to use an old Gramps and Precise Puppies,

#7 Post by Pelo »

:) i inform where Gramps runs, i did not give info where it fails because Phyton, they are to many. Is it the latest version ? i don't know. Sometimes people wanting always the last version don't use applications, they are installers not users.
It's better to use an old Gramps, some newer versions refused to load data coming from older versions
gramps : 3.4.1-1 needs python 2.7,
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gramps-4.0.3.egg-info

Slacko : as you i fail with Slacko since Slacko 5.5.
. I have a special Slacko Gramps build with 5.3.3
Slacko is a little bit the Puppy for Cuba Or Countries ex-USSR, the minimum needed with ugly desktops
Use Precise Puppies no to loose time with libs missing.

Gramps is also useful for me for testing PPM.
Last edited by Pelo on Sat 23 Sep 2017, 05:05, edited 2 times in total.

Pelo

Gramps 4.2.6 released

#8 Post by Pelo »

News & Releases
Gramps 4.2.6 released
Tuesday, August 1st, 2017
What is sure, if your hobby is genealogy is that you will find a Puppy running gramps, . Don't care the versions.Slacko 5.3.3 and 5.5 will do the job
I repeat i failed with newer Slackoes.
Ubuntu's Puppies are much easier. Tahrpup 6.0.2 ok.
Attachments
Documentation.jpg
Pay a vist
(33.38 KiB) Downloaded 180 times

Pelo

Slacko 6999 for ancestries (SFS is Precise 32b one)

#9 Post by Pelo »

Slacko6999k4111, with Gramps in a sfs
Slacko6999k4111 is a for test by devs and Linux experts. Use older and 32 bits. That is not your job to solve the bugs of rc versions, which could be never public released.
Genealogy takes time, But programming too.

Gramps does not need Speed. on the contrary, Fulfill all the cells is impossible.
Begin with people still alive :)

davids45

Gramps versions

#10 Post by davids45 »

G'day Pelo,

Thanks for the multi-post reply :D .

Looking at the Gramps website https://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/ind ... tributions, I think for my 32-bit Pups with my slightly retro applications that I do not wish to upgrade unless they do not work, I think I can use Gramps only to version 3.4.9. I could not find an obvious link from the Gramps website for this version. I don't know if there is a pet or sfs for this already on the forum. 3.4.1-1 is not that far from 3.4.9 anyway?

Regarding python: I will see if I can add python-2.7 to my Pups that don't have it, and see if the old Gramps sfs version I have will run, without causing another program using python to now fail :? .

David S.

tallboy

#11 Post by tallboy »

There is really no need to upgrade to the latest versions, unless you want Google maps to connect to addresses and that kind of fancy stuff. The genealogical functions are good in earlier versions as well, and the program is smaller and dependencies are fewer. I have used Gramps 3.2.6, 3.3.1, 3.4.0 and 3.4.1.1, all uses the 'light'-version Python+-2.6.4-i486.pet, used in dpup-484/485 and Lucid LupuPlus 5.2.8-005-1.

You probably have this link, but a repetition never hurts: :D
Gramps: genealogical research program
and in it:
tallboy
BTW: I have a copy of Python+-2.6.4-i486.pet, I cannot find that in any repos linked to above.
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.