Is Puppy recognition growing?

Promote Puppy !
Monsie

Re: Is Puppy recognition growing?

#16 Post by Monsie »

L18L wrote:Yes, everyone who knows puppy knows that it is growing.

Your title should be: How much is it growing? 8)

DNFTT :wink:
Appreciated... thank you.

I will contact Lobster to discuss this topic further.

Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

chromoite

#17 Post by chromoite »

Here are some interesting statistics about what operating systems are popular at distrowatch: Awstats
Outer Limits Fan :) [url=http://www.puppylinuxforum,org]Puppy Linux Forum[/url]

drongo

Distrowatch

#18 Post by drongo »

So we can definitely say that UP TO 39.3% of Distrowatch visitors are running Puppy Linux.

As can most of the other Linux distributions.

Mind you, my broadband ADSL is UP TO 8 Mbits/s.

linuxbear

Re: Distrowatch

#19 Post by linuxbear »

drongo wrote:So we can definitely say that UP TO 39.3% of Distrowatch visitors are running Puppy Linux.

As can most of the other Linux distributions.

Mind you, my broadband ADSL is UP TO 8 Mbits/s.
now if we could just convince printer manufactures to open-source their drivers, more might switch to Puppy. I would change in a heart-beat, but cannot get my wireless printer/scanner to run in Puppy.

Monsie

Is Puppy recognition growing?

#20 Post by Monsie »

Hi all,

Well, I've spent the weekend (off and on) doing some research: I've gathered some information, analyzed the data and recorded my results in a spreadsheet.

Here is what I did: to answer my question, "Is Puppy recognition growing?" I looked for all of the on-line written articles I could find for the years 2010 and 2011 to do a comparison. Ultimately, the articles I "collected" were written by people (tech journalists & bloggers) outside of (with no connection to) the Puppy Community. My purpose was to determine what kind of recognition Puppy was receiving with the rest of the world so as to put this question into a kind of perspective.

Method

I searched for written articles that were either release announcements or reviews of any "breed" of Puppy Linux during 2010 and 2011. In so doing, I decided to ignore the announcements at Distrowatch. I did (however) include a couple of reviews that were done at Distrowatch with my data. I also chose to limit my data to written articles only; therefore videos and podcasts were not included with the information that I gathered... but of course that could be included in future research.

In terms of the actual search mechanics, I chose to use Google as my (single) search engine. Besides going to well known websites for the articles, I did a search for each year up to and including thirty pages. At ten hits per page then, I found a minimum of three-hundred search results for each year... though notably many were duplicate listings and/or not pertinent to either 2010 or 2011.

All in all, my information should not be regarded as complete, but it is extensive enough to give good sample size for chi-square (statistical) analysis.

Lastly, an aside: Initially I did my work on my notebook using Lotus Symphony which uses OpenOffice code. It turns out that I was able to read the file in Gnumeric so I was pleased about that as it meant that I would not have to re-enter the data manually. While I wasn't able to import the data, it didn't take me too long to copy and paste it into Gnumeric. So I learned something else along the way... :)

Here then is my spreadsheet data and results.

Monsie
Attachments
Puppy Linux articles.tar.gz
(7.16 KiB) Downloaded 375 times
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.