TOP 10 Packages

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
jamesbond

#16 Post by jamesbond »

Hmmm ... 10 days passed and only one response? :lol:
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

gcmartin

#17 Post by gcmartin »

Couple of items where I think I personally can help.

To begin, our world (like it or not) is moving to a "cloudy" one. We must understand this as we move forward.

Next, we must get out of the mode that small is somehow beneficial. The manufacturers, OS vendors (including LInux), and Telco/cable has already solved that problem for us. Small is and never was a good thing. Functionality is what the industry has always strived for. NOT SMALL!!!

And, we must get out of the mode of focusing on vendor or enterprise products are good or bad. Puppy has a unique set of strengths and all focus should be on that. And if a vendor or enterprise produces something useful in the public domain, we should evaluate it for its merits.

Lastly, we must understand the world (and stop being so stuck in times past) as we, too, must migrate as the signs of technology moves. Emotions have NO BASIS in a technical world. Technologies like JAVA (cross-platform application benefits!), HTML5, multimedia codecs, SAMBA, etc should be part-parcel to making the user experience a complete one, as much as is reasonable and possible. We are no longer in just a simple Internet experience where we ignore technology for small-emotional reasons.

JamesBond shares some very good pointers for us. It does take money. But, also, it takes resourcefulness (and this community has a handy helping of that and it takes money.)

For the community, I have done as best I could to let everyone know that their GoogleID provides them resources that does NOT require money. Further, I have made attempts to contact BarryK to extend an offer to help but no response.

I recently have seen 3 interviews of this industry's top executives. Each talks about the future in ways where it is now public...where 3 months ago, this was confidential information. The crystal ball has been opened for all to see.

Please, acknowledge the world around us, as we pursue the excellence we are very good at.

Should there be more, PM me. or post here.

Here to help.

Monsie

Top 10 Packages

#18 Post by Monsie »

Hi all,

I did some more searching... Did you know there is a Puppy Linux community repo ... I found it at Sourceforge right here and it looks like this project was created about four years ago by either forum members hairywill and/or pizzasgood.
Description

The Puppy Linux community repo currently aims to provide all the tools to build the base of a puppylinux release from community efforts. The base will then be expanded with further capabilities to replicate the features of past PuppyLinux releases
This project does not appear to be very active. I am wondering about the idea of e-mailing the contact person to find out more information about this project:
  • How much storage is available?
    What is the cost, if any?
    Would the developer(s) be receptive to expanding the purpose and mandate of the project to include our (Discussion Forum) community?
    Would this setup suit our needs or do we need to look elsewhere?
    Can there be two Puppy Linux community repos -- i.e. with the same name?
Those are just a few initial questions that come to mind. I know there are other important questions that will arise too. That said, I want some feedback on this please. While I'm interested in pursuing this further, I don't know the history of this project, and there might be some good reasons to look elsewhere instead. Apart from that, while there has been some positive response to the idea of setting up a Community Repository, I would still like to hear from others to try to get a sense of Community support. Do I need to hold a vote? No, not at this point, but I am interested in getting a sense of whether we as a Community will not only "talk the talk, but also walk the walk". If I do look into this matter further, I want to do so under the umbrella of collaboration... which implies a teamwork approach, because I really believe this would be best given what we might accomplish here...

Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

Ray MK

#19 Post by Ray MK »

Never seen this before - I've got 4yrs worth of Puppy ISO's and Apps - stored on a 1TB usb drive.

I would love to be able to upload and share them - but would that cause a usage problem?

Don't know how to upload anyway - but it would be nice to have a One Stop Shop - for all things Puppy.
[b]Asus[/b] 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. [b]IBM A21m[/b] laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. [b]X60[/b] T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. [b]T41[/b] Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.

cthisbear

#20 Post by cthisbear »

Ray MK:

Upload some here.
I have some myself.

http://www.4shared.com/

Just signup...answer your email ...and you are ready to go.

""""""""

" Why do I need to sign up?

To use our service, we require you to create an account and
set up your virtual drive. This allows you access to your files
from any laptop or PC connected to the Internet, just by entering
your email and password.
Your files are kept safe within your account until you decide to
share them.

Registration is free, easy, and takes seconds to complete.
There’s no need to enter your credit card details.

What is 4shared account verification?

Once you have signed up for a 4shared account, you
need to verify it prior to getting access to 4shared services
and features.

Why do I need to verify my 4shared account?

Account verification confirms that the particular e-mail address,
which you have entered while creating an account,
is your actual e-mail address and ensures that you have
access to it.

Only verified users can access their 4shared accounts,
share and download files and folders, preview files,
leave comments to files, or use other essential features
of the service.

etc...etc

http://www.4shared.com/faq.jsp

" How long are my files stored?

Your free account and all your files will only be removed from
4shared if you don’t log into your account for 180 days.

Are there any limitations on the number of files, or size limit on files
that can be uploaded per user?

You may upload as many files as you like, but they must fit within
your virtual drive space.
The space limit is 15 GB per account.

Currently 4shared sets a 2048 MB size limitation per file.
Your files must not exceed the limit, or they will be rejected.

If the size of a file is more than 2048 MB, you can split the file
into smaller parts and upload them separately using the
Multi-upload feature.

Are there any bandwidth limitations?

There are no restrictions on the amount of data that can be
transferred. You can upload and download files that don’t
exceed the size of your account space.

"""""

Try it.
As a test upload some smaller, obscure but useful files.

Check your Internet provider is not hammering you
with any uploading fees etc...

and if everything is Hunky Dory
keep uploading a bit at a time.

Chris.

gcmartin

Totally private, totally free ... A drive for you PC(s)

#21 Post by gcmartin »

Ray MK, your GoogleID give you the same thing, natively. And, you can share stuff you choose with as many/few/none should you choose. Its your private drive totally under your control.

01Micko has mada PET of a Google feature such that you can use your GoogleID "Drive" on your desktop as if it a HDD/USB.

Hope this helps

Ray MK

#22 Post by Ray MK »

Hi chris & gcm

Thanks for the info - have a little bit of learning to do - then bingo.
It all seems relatively easy - but if I need help - I'll shout.

Very best regards - Ray
[b]Asus[/b] 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. [b]IBM A21m[/b] laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. [b]X60[/b] T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. [b]T41[/b] Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.

sickgut

Re: TOP 10 Packages

#23 Post by sickgut »

gcmartin wrote:Following are among top packages by someone at DistroWatch.com
  • LibreOffice/OpenOffice.org
  • VLC multimedia player
  • Filezilla
  • K3b
  • GIMP
  • Ubuntu Software Centre.
  • Rhythmbox
  • The KGpg front end for security keys
All in a single distro. But, they didn't mention the one (reading between the lines)

FYI
i dont want to come off sounding too cheeky, but am i the only one that has noticed this top 10 list only contains 8 packages? Its 9 if you count openoffice and libreoffice as separate.

Also, does it mean that i am no longer relevant and i am out of touch with what young people are doing these days if i actually only know what 4 of these packages actually do?

smokey01

#24 Post by smokey01 »

VirtualBox has to be one of the most valuable pieces of software about.

I use it every day for one thing or another..