Puppy triumphs again - works with IDE hard drive enclosure

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
Okeh

Puppy triumphs again - works with IDE hard drive enclosure

#1 Post by Okeh »

I had a desktop destroyed by an electrical storm a while back. I saved bits from it including the hard drive, thinking I might salvage some data from it. Anyways, I purchased a cheap IDE hard drive enclosure the other day on the hunch that the drive was ok. At first I booted my Toshiba laptop into Windows thinking that might have the least trouble reading the drive. Vista delivered its usual Microsoft garbage messages about recognizing new hardware and installing etc, but the drive did not appear in windows although the drive was powered and spinning.

I wasn't interested in wasting time in Vista..............

So I rebooted into Wary - which is what I use most of the time anyways - and it immediately found the drive, showing me a USB icon for the controller and another USB icon for the actual drive. Within seconds I was looking in the drive, opening files and confirming that it was ok!

Puppy never ceases to amaze me.

Bligh

#2 Post by Bligh »

Hi, Puppy reads and writes to everything I have connected to it. I once used win formats in case I wanted to copy something to win. Now I format my storage drives to a stable linux format and boot Puppy to copy files to win drives . Works good for win 98 which frequently would not recognize external drives. (flash,pata,sata}
Cheers