Remove Builtin files > Remaster problem

Please post any bugs you have found
scsijon

Remove Builtin files > Remaster problem

#1 Post by scsijon »

Have come across this "problem".

Using racy53, although I have since seen that it happens with wary522 also.

Went in, on a plain unworked frugal install, using the "Remove Builtin Files" Application and removed a number of unwanted applications, such as the default games, Gnumeric, Abiword, Inklite, etc.

Then using the "Remaster" program I 'remastered' accepting the defaults.

:? I was suprised to start with to see that the resultant was larger than the old sfs, however i went and burnt it anyway.

Installed the new iso into a free partition and saved with a small save file.

Started checking around and found to start with, that the remaster is only removing files in the /sbin, /bin, /usr/sbin, /usr/bin, /usr/share/applications directories. It seems to be leaving everything else insitu, such as the /lib, /usr/lib, /root, etc. components of the "removed" applications :?: .
[EDIT]It is, on the other hand only removing the .profile files when it has deleted all within so you can at least remove the rest manually, then remaster again to get what you want.

[FIXED]However I still have to work out why it's larger and i've checked that I have no other sfs's loaded so that wasn't the cause.

Could some of the 'other' variations check please if this result is what they also have before I chase the 'two applications', in case it's just a wary/racy thing.

thanks.
scsijon
Last edited by scsijon on Thu 10 May 2012, 03:18, edited 1 time in total.

01micko

#2 Post by 01micko »

Hi scsijon

It's likely that the remaster script does not support xz compression .. try the one at the following link

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 475#623475

YMMV

HTH
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

scsijon

#3 Post by scsijon »

thanks, will give it a go.

edit: well that's a start, the remaster is smaller and some of the unwanted files are gone, but a lot are still there so will add a link to the 5.3 thread.

playdayz

#4 Post by playdayz »

rerwin has worked on the remaster script more than anyone else recently, if you can get his attention.

I think it might be necessary to reboot after removing the built-in files.

scsijon

#5 Post by scsijon »

thanks, will ask him if he can help

technosaurus

#6 Post by technosaurus »

Started checking around and found to start with, that the remaster is only removing files in the /sbin, /bin, /usr/sbin, /usr/bin, /usr/share/applications directories. It seems to be leaving everything else insitu, such as the /lib, /usr/lib, /root, etc. components of the "removed" applications Question .
lol, yeah I remember seeing that code... really hacky method to find files containing the package name... I posted an alternative over a year ago including reverse dependency support ... it should already be in woof, but I wouldn't be surprised if it got borked up since I wrote it in shorthand bash

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
D=$HOME/.packages/builtin_files
PKGS=`ls -1 $D`
PKG=`Xdialog --stdout --combobox "select package to remove" 0 0 $PKGS`
[ $PKG ] && Xdialog --yesno "Reverse dependencies:
`cat $HOME/.packages/woof-installed-packages |grep +$PKG |cut -d "|" -f2`

Continue?" 0 0 && [ $? ] && for x in `cat $D/$PKG`; do [ -d $x ] && cd $x || rm $x; done && rm $D/$PKG && $0
Edit: now you have to know how the remastering is done (different scripts to it differently) - does it use your existing file system and ignore user/system specific files or does it reuse the puppy*.sfs (if so the line: rm $D/$PKG may screw you ... perhaps it should be a mv ...)
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].