Upup Precise 5.3.3.3 with kernel 3.3.2

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
linux28

#286 Post by linux28 »

guvcview??? :shock: :shock:

pemasu

#287 Post by pemasu »

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/quantal/i3 ... 3-0ubuntu1

Install the deb file from the page and then launch the app in console and install missing dependencies.

linux28

#288 Post by linux28 »

pemasu wrote:https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/quantal/i3 ... 3-0ubuntu1

Install the deb file from the page and then launch the app in console and install missing dependencies.
No, not running up, it relies on libgtk-3-0 I have tested those who depend on libgtk-3-0 software because that GStreamer can not use.
I'm sorry, I not familiar with the system, to give us trouble ...
Thank you!
Like Upup Precise, this software is currently not spend part of the the software Dpup Exprimo top, just my computer hardware Dpup Exprimo, not very good, is only suitable for upup Precisc

pemasu

#289 Post by pemasu »

Okay....thanks. It would need compiling from source.

Thanks of the info.

pemasu

#290 Post by pemasu »

Okay...Guvcview has jumped to the gtk3 boat. And the g_thread error has been fixed in newest gtk3 enabled versions....it seems that it is end of gtk2 and precise pangolin version of guvcview...

Bad thing....we should start to improve gtk3 compatibility soon...Debian is going to gtk3 with apps also...Wheezy seems to follow the trend....

sszindian

Nice Upup For Oldies

#291 Post by sszindian »

Interesting to say the least!

Posting this message from Precise.... running on an old:

T22 IBM Thinkpad (Notebook)
With 512MB RAM
15-inch screen

He old IBM can find no fault so far with Precise and its hot kernel... (and everyone believed you needed old kernels for old machines... hogwash!) Loaded just perfect and looks the same, Internet connection found itself and set itself up without a hitch.

For those of you that have these-type of old Notebooks stuffed in a garage somewhere, dig em' out and put em' back to work with Precise.

Nice work pemasu!!!!

And hey.... get well soon, you certainly will be missed here on this development my man!

But... God, family and bread & butter always come first remember.

"You take care"

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

rerwin

Expanded Broadcom wifi support

#292 Post by rerwin »

pemasu, jim3630 & Broadcom wifi users,
I have updated the Broadcom-wifi support to include the new brcm open-source driver and logic to select the correct driver for every supported Broadcom device. This includes jim3630's device, making it especially important that he try the attached package.

Note that my testing was limited by my having only a device that requires the b43 driver. But the logic appears to do what I intend. As with the package submitted for precise pup, this upgraded version re-implements the concept of ensuring that certain drivers are loaded in a particular order, to avoid momentary conflicts among newer and older drivers active concurrently. Now, the proprietary driver is loaded first, then the new "brcm" driver, then the old ssb-related b43-type drivers.

That is not to say that this strategy actually works with all device combinations. My hope is that it supports, at minimum, any one such device automatically, at least by the second boot-up. Therefore, I need all who have tested Broadcom wifi on precise-pup will try this new version. We need to confirm that driver conflicts are truly avoided and that jim3630's device now works. If someone has a combination of these devices, possibly also including one using the b44 (wired ethernet) driver, a test with those would be valuable.

Thank you, all, for your help in verifying this package, which if successful would be a candidate for woof. This experimental package includes the brcm drivers, which are not already in precise pup, because pemasu told me that they conflict with the ssb-related drivers. I intend that this package resolves that. So, please look out for that potential conflict. (Maybe pemasu will explain to us the nature of the interference between bcma and ssb.)
Richard

pemasu

#293 Post by pemasu »

Thanks rerwin. I update the Upup Precise woof with this latest and greatest improvement for broadcom detection.

Broadcom spesific amba ie bcm traditionally has not been activated in Puppy kernels. During my broadcom tests I enabled it in one Dpup kernel...when the brcm drivers came in. And I noticed in field reports that b43 - ssb dependent wireless didnt work. When I dropped bcm out...they started to work.

So...now in 3.3.2 kernel brcmsmac driver is bcm dependent. It could be that bcm now does not conflict with ssb dependent b43 but I didnt take that chance of course. I dropped brcmsmac out and I didnt enable bcm. Well....luckily I was aware of the change and previous conflict when rerwin asked the reason.

Atm I dont have much time to test kernel with bcm module preinstalled. But....I compiled bcm and brcmsmac as separate modules and they can be installed now with rerwin`s newest broadcom detection pet.

jim3630

#294 Post by jim3630 »

rerwin

installed the test package on a pfix=ram run of 5333. rebooted and frisbee auto-detected wifi on wan0 as previously did with this release of 5333. i can not tell a difference. do not have b44 (wired ethernet)to try but attached diag for your review.

thanks for all the hard work.

musher0

#295 Post by musher0 »

Hello all.

I have many different Puppies, and I sometimes wonder which one I am using. So I created a little identifier for Upup Precise and other recent Puppies.

You will need my "less" package, from:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=75161
The default "busybox less" that comes with Puppy is too stripped down to do this.

The excellent replace utility provided by big_pup here:
http://www.puppy2.org/slaxer/replace-2. ... 1_SLXR.tgz

the aerial mono font (attached), or any "mono" font

a nice puppy icon, like the one attached, to decorate the script when you will bring it on your desktop, and this code:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
# /root/my-applications/bin/PVersion.sh
# musher0, 2 mai 2012.
####
cd /root/my-documents
export RML="rm -f ~/liste-ps"
ps -a > ~/liste-ps
[ "`grep PVersion.sh ~/liste-ps`" != "" ] && killall less-444 && $RML && exit 
# commutateur | toggle
$RML
head -n 4 /etc/DISTRO_SPECS > pversion-temp.txt
tail -n 3 pversion-temp.txt > pversion-tmp.txt
head -n 1 pversion-tmp.txt > pversion-temp.txt
tail -n 1 pversion-tmp.txt >> pversion-temp.txt
cut -d"=" -f 2 pversion-temp.txt > VPuppy
rm -f /root/my-documents/pver*.txt
replace -T -h a 20 VPuppy
replace -T -h 27 20 VPuppy
replace -e -s -T ' U' 'U' VPuppy
replace -s -T '  ' ', v. ' VPuppy
if [ "`grep fr /etc/profile.local`" ];then
	export CHN="\.\:\. Version de Puppy \.\:\."
	else 
		export CHN="\.\:\:\. Puppy Version \.\:\:\."
fi
urxvt -fn "xft:Aerial Mono:pixelsize=15" -fg wheat -tr -tint sienna4 -bg sienna4 -sh 50 +sb -g 26x2-230-34 -e less-444 -~ -P "$CHN" /root/my-documents/VPuppy
rm -f /root/my-documents/VPuppy*

The script should go in /root/my-applications/bin. Don't forget to make it executable.

Instructions: To open it, click on it :wink: . To close it, press "q" OR press again on the icon or the script. (It acts as a toggle.)

It is also a little launcher, due to the features of less, v.4.44. For example, you can type "!rox ~" in the identifier box and this will open rox showing "root". Once done, you press "return" in the identifier box to re-display the Puppy identifier. Upon return to the identifier, Rox will stay on the desktop, but maybe not another program.

Please notice the localization capacity, at lines 21-25. I've set it up to recognize French, but you can change the "fr" to "it" or "pl", or whatever your language code is in /etc/profile.local. Just make sure to translate the string on line 22 in your language. If there is no language identifier in /etc/profile.local or no /etc/profile.local file, the identifier string will appear in English.

As I mentioned in the first paragraph, this script can be used with any Puppy that has a DISTRO_SPECS file in /etc. It won't work with the former "puppyversion" identifier that exists in older Puppies.

Now if a buddy who's a Windows user tries to snub you with a: "Oh, Windows has an identifier, you know", instead of muttering a four-letter word between your teeth, just click on PVersion.sh to show him.

Enjoy!
Attachments
aerial-mono.pet
Aerial mono font
(113.28 KiB) Downloaded 245 times
grafpup3-2-28x.png
Familiar Puppy icon, from GrafPup.
(2.54 KiB) Downloaded 737 times
Upup-Precise-Identifier.jpg
(61.52 KiB) Downloaded 433 times
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

vati

Notebook HP 520 and EEEPC 1005p

#296 Post by vati »

Wonderful! Thank you very much for this project. I've started it from a usb stick (frugal) without savepup. It works on a laptop HP 520 with wireless broadcom 4312 chip and intel graphics, sound ok. Even on a Netbook EeePC 1005p does graphics, sound, wireless immediately. The first Puppy Linux with full support acpid just like in Windows XP (as shipped). All in all, the Internet, office, multimedia machine from the best - fast, secure, stable and flexible. I'm always surprised, although I know Puppy Linux since 2006 and not only as a last resort look at compared to Windows OS. Unfortunately, my English language skills are poor. So I had to use Google Translator to get me here to thank the developers and give them feedback.
Kind regards Joerg from Dresden - Germany
Precise Puppy on EEEPC Asus 1005p frugal SD-Card without pupsave

peebee

Braodcom experiment report

#297 Post by peebee »

Hi Richard

Pristine frugal install of Precise5.3.3.3 on my HP550 laptop

Installed your experiment pet

Rebooted

Both wl and b43 showed as loaded in lsmod

but netwiz and dmesg showed that wl was being used

pmodemdiag attached

blacklisted wl - rebooted

now just b43 loaded and netwiz and dmesg showed it was being used

blacklisted b43 - rebooted

no wifi

Notice from jim3630 report that he has both brcm and wl loaded but wl is being used....

Cheers
Peter
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

musher0

#298 Post by musher0 »

Hi.

The other day I observed:
> Geany's editor had sick colours, however (green+turquoise+blue, and pale at that: couldn't read a thing).

That's because of the depth of the colours. Today, back in worgwizard, I set my video to 1280+1024+24, and geany had normal colours again.

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

rerwin

#299 Post by rerwin »

jim3630 wrote:i can not tell a difference.
That is good. This means that the proprietary driver continues to work even if the new "brcm" driver also gets loaded -- as long as it is loaded after wl.

To test the new driver, please blacklist wl in the BootManager, then reboot. I expect things should appear the same, but the diag file should confirm that the new driver is in control. Thanks.
Richard

pemasu

#300 Post by pemasu »

That's because of the depth of the colours. Today, back in worgwizard, I set my video to 1280+1024+24, and geany had normal colours again.

Good. I was a little loss with your post. I couldn see any difference with tested several Geany configurations.

And I tested many.....

rerwin

Re: Braodcom experiment report

#301 Post by rerwin »

peebee wrote:Both wl and b43 showed as loaded in lsmod

but netwiz and dmesg showed that wl was being used
Thanks for your thorough test. As for jim3630, this shows that b43 can be present if loaded after wl. All of the advice I have seen about both b43 and bcma/brcmsmac is to blacklist them. We demonstrate, now, that they can be loaded after wl binds to the device.

The significance of this is that multiple Broadcom wifi devices might be supported, even if they use different drivers. That is why a test of a PC with both wifi and ethernet Broadcom devices would be an interesting test. Or even with multiple Broadcom wifi devices.

If anyone has a Broadcom-based USB wifi device, could you please test with it? My new logic apparently works for boot-up time, but might not if a USB device is unplugged and re-plugged in. Or even if plugged in after boot-up. I plan to restore part of the logic to handle that (by unloading "dependers"), expecting that the dependers get loaded automatically without special logic (that is currently in uppup). I also expect to add the preference, "bcma:wl", so that only one of them (wl) will be loaded for dually supported devices.

In all cases, blacklisting of "wl" should cause the open-source drivers to be used.
Richard

jim3630

#302 Post by jim3630 »

rerwin wrote: To test the new driver, please blacklist wl in the BootManager, then reboot. I expect things should appear the same, but the diag file should confirm that the new driver is in control. Thanks.
Richard
Richard, et al.

as outlined done. continue not to tell any difference.. diag attached for your review.

noticed some output errors running the diag see below. don't know if significant or not.

# pmodemdiag
cat: /etc/puppyversion: No such file or directory
/usr/sbin/pmodemdiag: line 20: [: -ge: unary operator expected
Running PupScan to get hardware IDs and drivers - please close its window manually.
Collecting various modem-related files into an archive tarball:
pmodemdiag-20120502.tar.gz.
grep: /tmp/pup_event_backend/pup_event_alsa_cnt*: No such file or directory
grep: /tmp/rc_sysinit/*: No such file or directory
Diagnostic file collection complete.
Tarball pmodemdiag-20120502.tar.gz can be attached to a posting or personal
message (PM) in the Puppy forum, for analysis of dialup modem issues.
The content can be found in /tmp/pmodemdiag-20120502/.

hope helps and thanks again everyone for the hard work.

pemasu

#303 Post by pemasu »

jim3630. In your second test...the bcma - brcmsmac driver combo was in use. Interesting thing is...that there isnt any indication of firmware loading. I wonder if this new bcma - brcmsmac combo work without previous firmware need.

Hmm...I should check the situation when I have time.

I could drop out those unneeded firmwares if the firmware loading is really out.

Jim3630. You could test it also, by removing /lib/modules/all-firmware/brcm/lib/firmware/brcm/bcm43xx-0.fw and /lib/modules/all-firmware/brcm/lib/firmware/brcm/bcm43xx_hdr-0.fw firmwares and then testing if the broadcom wireless works after rebooting....with wl blacklisted.

It would be interesting test...

jim3630

#304 Post by jim3630 »

pemasu wrote:jim3630. In your second test...the bcma - brcmsmac driver combo was in use. Interesting thing is...that there isnt any indication of firmware loading. I wonder if this new bcma - brcmsmac combo work without previous firmware need.

Hmm...I should check the situation when I have time.

I could drop out those unneeded firmwares if the firmware loading is really out.

Jim3630. You could test it also, by removing /lib/modules/all-firmware/brcm/lib/firmware/brcm/bcm43xx-0.fw and /lib/modules/all-firmware/brcm/lib/firmware/brcm/bcm43xx_hdr-0.fw firmwares and then testing if the broadcom wireless works after rebooting....with wl blacklisted.

It would be interesting test...
pemasu

in my early morning haste after reading Richards post booted into 5333 which the previous night did the test.

did not install the test pet again a second time before blacklisting wl and reboot.

do have two 5333 savefiles. should have deleted the first before starting this test. bothhave different names perhaps choose the wrong one this am.

will remove /lib/modules/all-firmware/brcm/lib/firmware/brcm/bcm43xx-0.fw and /lib/modules/all-firmware/brcm/lib/firmware/brcm/bcm43xx_hdr-0.fw firmwares and then testing if the broadcom wireless works after rebooting....with wl blacklisted.

after will delete extra savefile and redo this am test

jim3630

#305 Post by jim3630 »

pemasu wrote: It would be interesting test...
pemasu

done as outlined and it worked!

will go back and do this am test over on pfix=ram fresh with wl blacklisted.