linux28

#331 Post by linux28 »

Use xim
But does not take

rerwin

Re: Expanded Broadcom wifi support - continued

#332 Post by rerwin »

peebee, zekebaby, pemasu, et al,
After a week essentially away from puppy and then some false starts and dead ends, I now have a more solid Broadcom wifi experimental package. In addition to attempting to resolve the issues I described last time,
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 890#624890,
I think I fixed the dual loading of wl and b43 while retaining support for the b44 ethernet driver (which uses the same ssb-bus arrangement that b43 does).

No matter the order these modules are originally loaded, they get reloaded in the order, wl, bcma, ssb, b43/b44/brcmsmac. (lsmod lists them in reverse order.) I simulated the loading of wl, bcma and ssb on my PC with wifi that uses the b43 driver only. So, I need those of you with other Broadcom wifi setups to try out the package. It should work as well as the version in lupuplus but also supporting the the newer brcmsmac-driver devices. Even with the drivers being loaded in the right sequence, that might not translate into the correct selection of drivers, although I expect that they should "just work". Your tests will verify that.

However, if there are multiple Broadcom wifi devices installed but using different drivers, if some use the wl driver and others b43, the latter might not be detected. Blacklisting wl would avoid that conflict. There should be no problem with only one such device installed.

Note that during installation of the package, a popup appears that is intended for peebee's proprietary-driver packages, which are not included in this experimental package. The drivers already in precise pup are sufficient, for now.
Richard

peebee

#333 Post by peebee »

rerwin wrote:peebee, zekebaby, pemasu, et al,
Richard
Hi Richard

Welcome back - hope it was a break for pleasure....

Pristine frugal install of Precise 5.3.3.3 - then added your experiment 3 pet and rebooted creating a savefile.

lsmod showed that both b43 and wl were loaded after the reboot but dmesg and netwiz showed that wl was actually being used - created a wifi connection successfully using Frisbee.

Rebooted - this time only wl was present and wifi was persistent over reboot.

Blacklisted wl and rebooted - b43 was then being used as expected - again Frisbee maintained the wifi connection without any intervention.

I'll PM you 2 pmodemdiag files after the 1st and 2nd boot.

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

rerwin

#334 Post by rerwin »

peebee,
Thanks for running the experiment. Your diag files reveal 2 interesting things. The first shows that my logic for determining whether b43 got loaded via ssb or directly from a modalias (therefore, whether to unload it) is incorrect. Not only is the test backward, it still would not detect the difference. I need another way to decide, which I think I know.

The second file shows that ssb is being blacklisted, which accounts for neither ssb nor b43 being loaded. My current logic does not create the blacklist-ssb.conf file, so it must be created elsewhere -- in one of the network tools or a previous broadcom-wifi implementation? A pfile search for it finds no clues in my precise-pup PC. Does anyone know how blacklist-ssb.conf is created?

EDIT: I see now that blacklist-ssb.conf is also in the first diag file. My logic does not consider blacklisting when it reloads ssb, which would explain why it is ignored in the first file, but not why it is respected in the second. (Maybe the blacklist conf file gets added after my logic runs the first time.) My struggle has been to understand all of the factors surrounding respect for blacklisting and module "install" commands. That is the tricky part of this experiment.
Richard

jim3630

#335 Post by jim3630 »

Richard, et al.,

don't know if this is useful to your 3rd experiment. when the new broadcom drivers first came out pemasu included brcmsmac with it's firmware and wl and firmware in one of his dpups. brcmsmac showed on wan0 and wl on eth0. i could connect using either by blacklisting the other. blacklisting neither brcmsmac was auto-detected on wan0 and worked without issue. i do not have b43 usage with this BCM4313 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller [14e4:4727] (rev 01).
will do 3rd if will help.

don570

#336 Post by don570 »

I tested audacity 2.0 with Precise

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=78257

rerwin

#337 Post by rerwin »

jim3630 wrote:i could connect using either by blacklisting the other. blacklisting neither brcmsmac was auto-detected on wan0 and worked without issue. i do not have b43 usage with this BCM4313 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller [14e4:4727] (rev 01).
will do 3rd if will help.
Thank you for your offer to help. Yes, your testing of your BCM4313 would be most helpful. Since it does not use b43, my flawed b43 logic should not affect you. Please run without- and with wl blacklisted and get a pmodemdiag file for each case. You should not have to blacklist brcmsmac nor bcma to use wl.
Richard

linux28

#338 Post by linux28 »

xim bug: :shock: :shock:
Still can not solve ah, help
Attachments
2.jpg
(15.33 KiB) Downloaded 1608 times

jim3630

#339 Post by jim3630 »

here is experiment 3 results

pfix=ram installed experiment 3 pet and rebooted creating a savefile.

wifi connected with wl on wan0 via frisbee without issue.

Blacklisted wl and rebooted this time wifi auto-connected with brcmsmac on wan0 via fribee without issue.

Richard pm'd you 2 pmodemdiag files hope this helps.

rerwin

#340 Post by rerwin »

jim3630,
Thanks for the diag files. They confirm that the package works as intended. The effective piece is the preference entry for wl over bcma.

To complete the verification, when you get the time, could you run with the package but use the SNS and Network wizard, in both cases rebooting a couple of times to ensure that network settings are retained as expected? No diag files are needed unless you find a problem. Thanks.
Richard

jim3630

#341 Post by jim3630 »

Richard, et al.,

into the fire one more time pfix=ram installed experiment 3 rebooted creating a save file. wl recognized on eth0 tried sns unable to make connection. tried connection wizard and failed, pmodemdiag run. rebooted sns and connection wizard fails again even though wl recognized pmodemdiag run again, blacklisted wl for fun and rebooted, brcmsmac recognized by sns but failed, connection wizard made the connection finally.

i have reported sns and connection wizard failures many times including 528 developement and iirc it was you who got sns and connection wizard working in 528.

whoever are the maintainers of sns and connection wizard clearly have no interest in doings so. McDougle i think is dead and well...sns and connection wizard are pos.

both sns and connection wizard could be deleted from puppy as frisbee works most of the time for most of the people and on the rare occasion heard it did not work was due to interference by sns and connection wizard. that is why i used frisbee exclusively. frisbee will detect wifi point and make the connection without rebooting.

at one time frisbee required a save file first rebooting before would reliable make the connection. again think that was sns and connection wizard interference.

will keep rebooting today looking for persistence and report if goes amiss. thanks jim

jim3630

#342 Post by jim3630 »

Richard,

sent more pmodemdiag since connection wizard not persistent after one reboot. reran sns and it failed to connect even recognized brcmsmac. connection wizard like wise failed even after manually inputting my ip info.

ran frisbee which recognized wan0 and my connection particulars but did not make a connection. rebooted connection made by frisbee which did persist after a reboot.

zekebaby

#343 Post by zekebaby »

rerwin wrote:After a week essentially away from puppy and then some false starts and dead ends, I now have a more solid Broadcom wifi experimental package. In addition to attempting to resolve the issues I described last time,
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but this one did not work on the Dell D430. Started with a clean boot, installed #3, and on 4 subsequent reboots, only the wl module is loaded (no b43 like the last time) and Frisbee doesn't see wlan0. I will PM you the pmodemdiag.

sszindian

Network Problem!

#344 Post by sszindian »

Using 'Internet Connection Wizard' (NOT Frisbee)

rebooted with wireless plugged in and configured in previous session which was a pfix=ram install... wlan0 did NOT connect.

Going into Internet Connection Wizard again, selecting 'Configure Wireless Network' it shows in 'Select A Profile To Load' my previous saved file- belkin.81e After loading and selecting 'Use This Profile' wlan0 then makes a wireless connection and seems to run just fine... but... it won't connect on a fresh reboot.

The reaction with OR without your 'Experimental.pet' installed is exactly the same.

No eth0 configuration was tried!

Using: linksys AE1000
Router: Belkin 300
Config: rt2800usb

Hope this helps?

It would be nice to get the Network Connection working properly as Precise is an unusually nice operating program without any issues (at least that I could find) in any other areas, they all just function great! Sure hope you post a 'fix' here if you find one.

>>>---Indian--->
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

rerwin

#345 Post by rerwin »

sszindian,
Thanks for posting your experience. Although my effort focuses on the Broadcom wifi situation, your report of issues with another device (rt2800usb) suggests that the problems jim3630 is having may not be entirely of my making.

Even though I got into the Broadcom game to apply what (I think) I know about firmware "tarballs", initialization scripts, configuration files and module loading to manage the various Broadcom drivers, I am not very knowledgeable about the workings of wifi connections. I don't have a wireless test network, only an old Broadcom wifi device (14e4:4320). I do not want to raise expectations unreasonably about my ability to solve all wifi problems. I need the help of anyone with better knowledge of the area.

I think we need Barry or Dougal or Micko or tempestuous to weigh in on the reconnection issue.
Richard

BarryK
Puppy Master

#346 Post by BarryK »

I have addressed many of the issues posted about in this forum thread, applied them to Woof. See blog thread:

http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02839

And, Precise Puppy alpha3 is now out:

http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02842
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

Terryphi

#347 Post by Terryphi »

Thanks, Barry. Everything tested so far is running well for me. I took your advice and kept away for PPM for now.
[b]Classic Opera 12.16 browser SFS package[/b] for Precise, Slacko, Racy, Wary, Lucid, etc available[url=http://terryphillips.org.uk/operasfs.htm]here[/url] :)

mrokosz

Compression method

#348 Post by mrokosz »

Barry,
Thanks for the distro, works great, but I am using on really slow computer P3 500MHz 256MB RAM frugal installation, so the software is not as responsive as with with the little bigger but faster for old computers distro version, I am talking about version around 169 MB size of the iso. If there is no problem I prefer to use sfs with smaller compression ratio, it just works faster

mrokosz
P.S. Everything works great, Pemasu package problems not there any more. I guess it will replace Pemasu distro

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Compression method

#349 Post by BarryK »

mrokosz wrote:P.S. Everything works great, Pemasu package problems not there any more. I guess it will replace Pemasu distro
Pemasu is a bit busy right now, see earlier post this Forum thread. But, he is a Puppy addict like the rest of us, and will be back to do another build from latest Woof -- so, whatever development we do with alpha3 will be going into Woof, and pemasu will pick up from there, the very latest. I mean, nothing will be lost here, it is all cumulative.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

rerwin

Broadcom wifi driver management experiments

#350 Post by rerwin »

jim3630, peebee, pemasu, Broadcom 43xx users,
I have attached my refined experimental package to select and load the appropriate Broadcom wifi driver for each variant of the 43xx devices -- b43, b43legacy, brcmsmac, wl, wl (older version). It is also intended to support b44 ethernet devices even with the wl loaded; but I cannot, myself, verify that that would be successful.

The logic ensures that only the wl driver is loaded even if a device is also supported by b43 or brcmsmac. As before, to avoid using the (default) wl driver, simply blacklist it in the BootManager. Also as before, if the wl driver cannot handle a device (device not detected), it will be automatically blacklisted so that another driver gets loaded at the next boot-up. (You can un-blacklist it in the BootManager.)

If you experience a problem with the main experiment-4 package, you can instead use either the 4a or 4b packages to ensure that only wl or brcmsmac (respectively) are available for use. That is to eliminate any influence by the main-package logic or the other drivers.

Note that brcmsmac cannot be used on an adhoc network, so please avoid doing that. Please send me a pmodemdiag file if you encounter a problem with these packages.

Note also that jim3630 has more success using frisbee as the network interface for his brcmsmac-using device. But I hope to also have SNS and the network wizard work with the newer (wl, brcmsmac) drivers, but need the expertise of those more familiar with the workings of wifi connection.

Thanks for any feedback you can provide.
Richard

UPDATE 6/15/2012: The "5delta" package is added to address the cases where the proprietary driver fails for some (BCM4312 - hardware ID 14e4:4312) models that can also use the open-source driver. In experiment-4, a reboot was necessary to get the open-source driver to take over. The new package makes the substitution during the first boot-up after its installation. Although the logic appears to function as intended, it must be tried with the target device installed, to verify whether the substitution is truly effective and allows immediate connection. Please send me a pmodemdiag file if you can run the test. You should see driver b43 used, instead of no detection during first boot-up. TIA.

UPDATE 7/13/2012: The "5-6delta" package is added for minor mods and to move the b43 firmware files from the b43 "tarball"/directory into /lib/firmware/b43, to avoid a shutdown hang related to the absence of the firmware during the first boot-up. With that change, the module is successfully changed from wl to b43 if wl fails, all during the first boot-up. This was verified with dpup-exprimo.

UPDATE 7/14/2012: Re-uploaded "5-6delta" after download number 6, to remove the moving of b43 firmware during the installation and to add a test so that the b43 driver is not loaded if the firmware is not in /lib/firmware (ready for use). This prevents the b43-firmware-related shutdown hang if the firmware is not ready, making the implementation safe no matter where the b43 firmware is.
Richard
Attachments
precise_broadcom_experiment-5-6delta.pet
Additional refinement to experiment-4 and 5delta, to switch driver wl to b43 during first boot-up.
Applies to BCM4312 wifi device (which may be named BCM4311).
No firmware relocation, but switches drivers immediately only if b43 firmware is ready.
(2.16 KiB) Downloaded 553 times
precise_broadcom_experiment-5delta.pet
Addition to experiment-4, to switch driver wl to b43 during first boot-up.
Applies to BCM4312 wifi device (which may be named BCM4311).
(2.9 KiB) Downloaded 558 times
precise_broadcom_experiment-4a-wl_only.pet
(3.39 KiB) Downloaded 607 times
Last edited by rerwin on Sat 14 Jul 2012, 16:16, edited 5 times in total.