WeeDog Linux

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
wiak

WeeDog Linux

#1 Post by wiak »

Model 04 of WeeDog Linux (C) bootable distribution is available in the form of a FirstRib root_filesystem/initramfs, MIT licensed, buildscript system here, along with creation/boot details:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=116212

NOTE (Aug 2019): Now concentrating on kernel=void version, which uses Void Linux kernel/firmware/modules rather than hybrid system using BionicPup or similar kernel/firmware/modules.
===================================

Older notes follow. Better to refer to above link thread other than for historic info.

Best is to read the two very simple creation scripts which each contain less than 40 lines of actual shell code plus documentation/explanations in the forms of comments.

If anyone later runs into firmware/modules missing issues, also see here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 78#1031078

On first build, WeeDog is a commandline system, but users can add X functionality via its package manager (or specially configured/written firstrib00.plug).

Note that the FirstRib firstrib_rootfs can, as an alternative to independent booting, be used on its own via a chroot mechanism on any existing Linux host per the description at the first post of that FirstRib thread. WeeDog is the bootable version that has its own independent initramgs.gz/init to provide its functionality.

Various models of WeeDog are likely to be constructed, and based also on various FirstRIb flavours. This first flavour uses Void Linux package manager (xbps) and its associated package repositories.

Make sure you use the vmlinuz/initramfs.gz/firstrib_firmware_modules.sfs combination for the appropriate 32bit or 64bit scenario. The boot_partition must be a Linux formatted partition at this stage (but it's a frugal install so can share partition with other Pups/Dogs/etc). Also remember to delete any old upper_changes and work directories in <boot_partition>/firstrib/ when using a new build for the first time.

These are early WeeDog/FIrstRib development days so it should be considered experimental/draft for now, though it may well work reliably. Aside from using Void Linux package manager/repos (and optionally vmlinuz/firmware/modules from other distributions), FIrstRib-based WeeDog is an independent distribution. However, unlike many/most other even small independent distribution-build systems, FirstRib/WeeDog is purposively simple by design (to encourage active learning and system development by 'anyone' interested). It has its own independent initramfs/init boot script(s) and will always be developed along the lines of simple/short/easy-to-read-and-modify build scripts plus extra sfs and/or plugins.

This early model 01 uses overlayfs followed by a chroot mechanism inside a 'huge model' initramfs. Later model will employ a small initial initramfs followed by a switch_root to actual root filesystem.

wiak
Last edited by wiak on Tue 20 Aug 2019, 04:32, edited 11 times in total.

wiak

#2 Post by wiak »

Reserved

wiak

#3 Post by wiak »

Reserved

wiak

#4 Post by wiak »

Reserved

wiak

#5 Post by wiak »

Reserved

wiak

#6 Post by wiak »

Model 01 of WeeDog Linux (C) bootable distribution is available in the form of a FirstRib root_filesystem/initramfs, MIT licensed, buildscript system here, along with creation/boot details:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 22#1031022

Best is to read the two very simple creation scripts which each contain less than 40 lines of actual shell code plus documentation/explanations in the forms of comments.

On first build, WeeDog is a commandline system, but users can add X functionality via its package manager (or specially configured/written firstrib00.plug).

Note that the FirstRib firstrib_rootfs can, as an alternative to independent booting, be used on its own via a chroot mechanism on any existing Linux host per the description at the first post of that FirstRib thread. WeeDog is the bootable version that has its own independent initramgs.gz/init to provide its functionality.

Various models of WeeDog are likely to be constructed, and based also on various FirstRIb flavours. This first flavour uses Void Linux package manager (xbps) and its associated package repositories.

Make sure you use the vmlinuz/initramfs.gz/firstrib_firmware_modules.sfs combination for the appropriate 32bit or 64bit scenario. The boot_partition must be a Linux formatted partition at this stage (but it's a frugal install so can share partition with other Pups/Dogs/etc). Also remember to delete any old upper_changes and work directories in <boot_partition>/firstrib/ when using a new build for the first time.

These are early WeeDog/FIrstRib development days so it should be considered experimental/draft for now, though it may well work reliably. Aside from using Void Linux package manager/repos (and optionally vmlinuz/firmware/modules from other distributions), FIrstRib-based WeeDog is an independent distribution. However, unlike many/most other even small independent distribution-build systems, FirstRib/WeeDog is purposively simple by design (to encourage active learning and system development by 'anyone' interested). It has its own independent initramfs/init boot script(s) and will always be developed along the lines of simple/short/easy-to-read-and-modify build scripts plus extra sfs and/or plugins.

This early model 01 uses overlayfs followed by a chroot mechanism inside a 'huge model' initramfs. Later model will employ a small initial initramfs followed by a switch_root to actual root filesystem.

wiak

fredx181

#7 Post by fredx181 »

Hi wiak, tested on 32-bit, not sure if I did things right, but trying to boot with grub4dos according to your instructions I get something like:
"chroot: failed to run setsid, no such file or directory"

I ran first : build_firstrib_rootfs_i686ver006.sh and worked fine, also installed: coreutils file mc and bash.
And then ran: "build_firstrib_initramfs01_ver006.sh sda5" and it went without errors.
and put the vmlinuz from bionicpup 32-bit and the created initramfs.gz in sda5/firstrib.
Grub4dos menu.lst entry:

Code: Select all

title FirstRib (Void Linux Flavour) on sda5/firstrib
root (hd0,4)
kernel /firstrib/vmlinuz
initrd /firstrib/initramfs.gz
EDIT: Perhaps better to keep just one main thread, 3 threads containing links to each other may be a bit confusing for some (well, at least for me)

Fred

rockedge

#8 Post by rockedge »

I am seeing this since I have been messing with FirstRib and now when boot
an endless loop occurs until I ctrl-alt-del displaying the error

fredx181

#9 Post by fredx181 »

Found out what was the problem, I had zdrv from older Bionicpup loaded, now works ok with zdrv and vmlinuz from newest Bionicpup: bionicpup32-8.0+7-uefi.iso (zdrv_upupbb_19.03.sfs renamed to firstrib_firmware_modules.sfs in firstrib folder).
Probably the loading of the correct firstrib_firmware_modules.sfs is essential to make overlayfs work properly :?:

Next step is trying to get X working (and install a window-manager).

EDIT: Got ethernet working now, for me "modprobe tg3" was required to do first and then did "ifconfig eth0 up" and "udhcpc -i eth0"

Fred

Keef

#10 Post by Keef »

I got the same error, but it was because I hadn't amended the script for my boot partition:

boot_partition="sda1"  # partition (sda1, sda2, sdb1 ... etc) where firstrib boot directory to be 
Firstrib is on sda2.

Booted ok to prompt. Just a quick test to see if it worked.

wiak

#11 Post by wiak »

fredx181 wrote:
Probably the loading of the correct firstrib_firmware_modules.sfs is essential to make overlayfs work properly :?:
Yes, that is correct (unless you've purposively put overlay.ko module in correct kernel_related directory structure in firstrib_rootfs; much easier to rely on firstrib_firmware_modules.sfs to include it!). The overlay.ko module is in the firmware_modules.sfs, so if FirstRib can't find that (such as specifying wrong partition or not providing appropriate firstrib_firmware_modules.sfs then you'll get above error message.

Also, yes, three threads may be a problem. Reason I made three is that WeeDog is not FirstRib per se. And firstrib_rootfs can also be used via chroot on any host linux system without needing to be independently bootable. I also didn't want to confuse myself with development discussions about the initramfs, which is a separate matter to the building of a root filesystem, but I will reconsider how best to discuss the three things. I will certainly need separate thread for FirstRib build scripts and for WeeDog, which is an actual bootable distribution that involves FirstRib but may become different via added complexity. Think of WeeDog as releases of independently bootable distros (of various flavours and levels of polish, whereas FirstRib is simple build scripts for either or both rootfs and initramfs.

wiak
Last edited by wiak on Thu 27 Jun 2019, 21:37, edited 2 times in total.

wiak

#12 Post by wiak »

deleted as obsolete post
Last edited by wiak on Sun 04 Aug 2019, 11:52, edited 2 times in total.

wiak

#13 Post by wiak »

deleted as post obsoleted
Last edited by wiak on Sun 04 Aug 2019, 11:53, edited 1 time in total.

rockedge

#14 Post by rockedge »

what I thought were matching isn't

I am using on the 64 bit version overlayfs_module_i686.tar.gz which appears to be for the kernel 4.19.23 and the firmware.sfs and vmlinuz from kernel 4.19.25...seems to be the root of my problem here....I corrected it and I am able to boot successfully with a Bionic64-v8 kernel 4.19.23

I have established a network connection and xbps-install is functioning.

rockedge

#15 Post by rockedge »

odd that the kernel 4.19.25 and the zdrv.sfs that belongs to it did not work.

the 4.19.23 works great right now..about to install xorg server and I am about to run the 32 bit with the bionic kernel recommended above

wiak

#16 Post by wiak »

fredx181 wrote: EDIT: Got ethernet working now, for me "modprobe tg3" was required to do first and then did "ifconfig eth0 up" and "udhcpc -i eth0"

Fred
If anyone runs into firmware/modules missing issues, also see here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 78#1031078

wiak

rockedge

#17 Post by rockedge »

hello wiak,

I can not find now which Bionic32 has the 4.19.25 kernel....matter of fact, I am not sure now where I got it and if I built it at some point with the kernel-kit.

I have a command line system running well with eth0 connected to my network using the Bionic32-v8+7. The 64 bit version also at the command line is working well. So far I have encountered the same no keyboard and no mouse input trying to get the Xorg server going. Starts but can't do anything.....yet. Working on it though

FirstRib running as command line or with Xnest through a host system like Bionic32 or 64 woks very well and with the ability to add packages with xbps and run them chroot'ed makes some powerful options.

rockedge

#18 Post by rockedge »

for fun a WeePup with jwm and rox
Attachments
2019-07-04-230440_600x480_scrot.png
(243.8 KiB) Downloaded 1280 times

darry19662018

#19 Post by darry19662018 »

Puppy Linux Wiki: [url]http://wikka.puppylinux.com/HomePage[/url]

[url]https://freemedia.neocities.org/[/url]

rockedge

#20 Post by rockedge »