How to install programs downloaded from repository?

Booting, installing, newbie
Semme

#46 Post by Semme »

Since you're apparently wanting to get a suitable install in place, yeah.. go ahead'n open a new thread.

jobo

#47 Post by jobo »

Semme wrote:Since you're apparently wanting to get a suitable install in place, yeah.. go ahead'n open a new thread.
will do. thanks for your help the other night and to all the others who have spent time on me stuttering my way through

couldnt have done it with out you :D

Semme

#48 Post by Semme »

Oh sure, you're gonna get lots of help around here cause, plain'n simple- ya stick with it.

sfeeley

#49 Post by sfeeley »

It sounds like you got your install mostly working. Although I think you were unable to get a swap partition onto your harddrive (which would work better than a flash stick or external drive).

Perhaps you can make a swap file instead? This doesn't require partitioning. (this is different from a swap partition, but serves the same purpose of giving your computer more effective RAM to work with.)

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/SwapFile

I've not used a swapfile before personally, so I can't offer more guidance than the above link. But maybe others could help if that's a direction you want to go in.

Also, I think that you said that youtube videos caused a hangup? Flash video will be hard on a real old computer, regardless of puppy. But some of the tips in this thread might help

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... fc9db4e033

jobo

#50 Post by jobo »

yes, but im in a quandry here, it is quite rediculasly fast, and im reluctant to mess with it incase i spoil it, but the external cd is taking up the only usb and i want to get the wifi working if i can ? if i can sort something out for that, il just glue the wallet to the lid and leave it there
its got a ram counter on the v2 puppy and its telling me i have a constant 487mb available, meaning its using 113 of the 600 available and no red showing in the box no matter what i do
iil give that thread a read and have a play with vids next thanks

there seems to be a theory that multiple thin partitions for swap are bettter than one larger one, speed of pick up i think and then either is better than a swap file as it stores in random order in that. i suspect im losing through the usb conection though, idealy i want to partition the internal drive whilst still using it, is that posible ? if not il set up a swap file to use and see how that works

thanks for your ongoing suport

joe :D
i

Semme

#51 Post by Semme »

No- you can't partition the disk while running out of an active partition on the disk.
Unless mistaken, I recall you stating your system won't boot a usb stick- correct?
*Kinda wonder'n if this Plop thingy-doo can help.. I'm gonna have to try it..

By the way Joe- where's this :P new thread or yours?
Last edited by Semme on Tue 01 May 2012, 15:45, edited 1 time in total.

jobo

#52 Post by jobo »

no it wont, it will boot of floppy,though, if i had any

nb spoke to soon, it strugles with very ornate websites, 7 seconds or so to load, sites like this one less than a second

Semme

#53 Post by Semme »

Is there a usb port? If ya got a port'n a stick- try that link I left..

Updated- http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/usi ... r-usb-boot

From floppy!

In which case you could eventually install this!

sfeeley

#54 Post by sfeeley »

ts got a ram counter on the v2 puppy and its telling me i have a constant 487mb available, meaning its using 113 of the 600 available and no red showing i
I'm pretty sure that what you are referring to is an indicator for the size of your savefile.

to see how much RAM memory you have available, open console and type

Code: Select all

htop
alternatively, type

free

jobo

#55 Post by jobo »

sfeeley wrote:
ts got a ram counter on the v2 puppy and its telling me i have a constant 487mb available, meaning its using 113 of the 600 available and no red showing i
I'm pretty sure that what you are referring to is an indicator for the size of your savefile.

to see how much RAM memory you have available, open console and type

htop
alternatively, type

free
how do i cut and paist the results ? it wont let me ?
total used free
mem 125984 122164 3820
swap 0 0 o
total 125984 122164 3820
nb its chanced to 396 now
nnb yes i see you are correct

sfeeley

#56 Post by sfeeley »

how do i cut and paist the results ? i
some of the older terminals are silly like that. If I remember correctly,
1. highlight what you want to copy in the terminal,
2. go to where you want to paste the material
3. click both mouse buttons at the same time (pointed to where you want the material to go)