Hulu for Puppies

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
mikeslr

Hulu for Puppies

#1 Post by mikeslr »

Hi all,

I haven't created a pet or sfs for three reasons:
1. "Re-inventing the wheel" is seldom a fruitful employment of one's time.
2. "If it's not broke, don't fix it." and
3. I don't know enough to strip Hulu of any possible bloat without breaking something necessary to its functions.

So, why this post at all? Just so you know you can run Hulu under Puppies.

Searching thru my hard-drive for something else, I ran across a Hulu.pet someone had created, probably for Puppy 4.31. I was in one of playdaz most recent iterations of Lupu. Curious, I clicked the pet. It installed and I ran it. It advised that it was "out of date" and offered to download the most recent version. Fearing that doing so might break something, I deleted that installlation and --being in Lupu which is based on Ubuntu-- instead downloaded the most current Hulu.deb from one of Ubuntu's repositories.
Clicking the .deb installed it and, except as noted below, it ran without difficulty.
A similar process enabled Hulu to run in several Lupu/Lucids, Precise and (surprisingly, as it's a T2 build) Saluki. I Although I haven't tried it, the Hulu.deb may also run in Racy (upon which Saluki is based) and perhaps Wary (from which Racy is derived). If the Hulu .deb doesn't run under Slacko or dPup/Exprimo, you might try huludesktop huludesktop-0.9.8-i386-1_SBo.tgz from SlackBuilds in Slacko. Sorry, a quick web search didn't reveal what debian Squeeze repo has a hulu.deb.
When you first strart Hulu, it will report that it could not locate flashplayer. What it's actually looking for is file named "libflashplayer.so" or "libgcflashplayer.so." Either will work. Perhaps others. Which one your system uses may depend upon (a) which Puplet, (b) which browser(s) you've installed, and (c) the order of in which you've installed them. So its best to simply type "flash" in pfind and look for a file ending with ".so." [If you're running LibreOffice (OpenOffice?), it contains a flash-player.so, probably used by impress, which I doubt will work. I haven't tried it]. Once you've located the ".so" file, open /.huludesktop --a "hidden" file in /-- in geany or your text writer of choice and scroll to the line which reads "flash_location = (null)." Edit that line to point to the .so: for example, flash_location = /opt/google/chrome/libgcflashplayer.so or flash_location = /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so.
The variability of a system's location of flashplayer is an additional reason for not created a pet.
Although during installation PPM indicates that Hulu will be found under the Utilities SubMenu, it actually shows up under the Multimedia Submenu.

mikesLr

musher0

#2 Post by musher0 »

Interesting concept, but unavailable outside the US, according to wikipedia.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

rokytnji

#3 Post by rokytnji »

How I got Hulu TV working in MacPup. Musher is right about this being only a USA thing.

http://hardkap.net/forums/topic/hulu-tv

jim3630

#4 Post by jim3630 »

mikeslr

thanks for your hard work. hulu is regional like iplayer for uk. if you want to watch us tv it will work if you have a us proxy or ip spoofer. tor can be configured to show the ip of whatever country you like i documented that somewhere here on this forum.

sometimes back found a hulu pet in my hdd repo which worked in lucid. asked playdayz but he did not know it so got it here on this forum somewhere. also tried Ubuntu hulu as well sometime back and it worked but could not find your reference to slackbuild huludesktop. have been using fatslacko and like it and would be nice to have hulu for it. thanks