Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 20 May 2018, 14:25
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware
How to dual-boot Puppy on IBM Thinkpad 240?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
CaptCadwallader

PostPosted: Wed 03 May 2006, 00:05    Post subject:  How to dual-boot Puppy on IBM Thinkpad 240?  

IBM Thinkpad 240
Uses PCMCIA cd-rom and ethernet cards and an attached floppy

366mhz 192 megs memory, Hitachi Travelstar 7k100 80 GB 7200 rpm hard drive. I put the 7200 rpm hd to make up in part for the fact that the cpu was only 366. The notebook was given to me for free.
Four partitians. One Win 98 with Win 98 loaded. Two small Win 98 swap. Three Linux. Four Linux swap.

Tried to load windows and puppy on to the hard drive using another motherboard. Windows and Puppy boot up with no problems. When I put the hd into the Thinkpad Windows booted up fine. Puppy gave me:

Kmod:failed to exec /sbin/md probe -s-k block-makor 22,pirno=2
VFS: Cannot open rood device "hdc3" or 16:03
Please append a correct "root=" boot option
Kernel panic: VFS:Unable to mount root fs on 16:23

So I found the win 98 option and booted up puppy from the icon from within Windows 98 on my Thinkpad. The thought was to then load puppy into the linux partitians. Went through the hd install and it asked me for the puppy cd.

The puppy cd is on a Panasonic KXL-D740 PCMCIA CD Rom. Puppy doesn't recognize the Panasonic KXL-D740 PCMCIA CD Rom and therefore doesn't recognize the Puppy cd rom.

How do I get Puppy to recognize the Panasonic KXL-D740 PCMCIA CD Rom so I can get the HD install to recognize the Puppy cd, so I can then dual boot and boot Puppy from the HD.

All the best.

Sit Heel Speak

PostPosted: Wed 03 May 2006, 04:53    Post subject:  

You do not say how you were booting Puppy on the other motherboard. If via a bootloader program in the first (Win Ninety-Eight) partition, or resident on floppy, then the proper reference would be to "hda3" if this is the first disk drive on the system.

You might have a problem getting an initial boot out of that PCMCIA CD controller. From

www.cis.ksu.edu/~steve/thinkpad-240/thinkpad-240.html

...which is an account, a few years old, of an installation of Red Hat 6.1 on a Thinkpad 240: the writer was unable to install from CD and had to resort to an FTP install. Even then, the PCMCIA controller was still not detected until he edited /etc/sysconfig/pcmcia. "Linux won't detect the PCMCIA controller if the computer is warm booted from Windows 98." Perhaps a BIOS update would remedy this, perhaps not.
CaptCadwallader

PostPosted: Sun 07 May 2006, 00:42    Post subject:  

I had a dual boot on the 2.5 inch hard drive when it worked. I set up a motherboard from a Pentium III on a piece of lumber as a test bench. I then used a 2.5 inch to 3.5 inch hard drive converter to connect the 2.5 inch notebook hard drive to the Pentium III motherboard which I took out a a regular computer. Both windows 98 and puppy booted up. When I took the notebook hard drive off of the tower motherboard and installed it in the notebook win 98 booted up but puppy did not.

I have talked to the linux experts locally and they tell me what I have to do is to creae a linux boot disk and a linux pcmcia disk. I am told that SUSE has an incon in Yast that will allow me to do this. Then I can boot from the PCMCIA CD rom and install puppy from the CD Rom drive just like a tower instalation. Will try that tomorrow and see what happens.

All the best.

Sit Heel Speak

PostPosted: Sun 07 May 2006, 01:38    Post subject: Re: How to dual-boot Puppy on IBM Thinkpad 240?  

CaptCadwallader wrote:
Puppy gave me:

Kmod:failed to exec /sbin/md probe -s-k block-makor 22,pirno=2
VFS: Cannot open root device "hdc3" or 16:03
Please append a correct "root=" boot option
Kernel panic: VFS:Unable to mount root fs on 16:23

Right, Skipper, good luck. But based on the above, it looks to me like when you loaded Puppy on the test bench, you had the hard disk connected as master disk on the secondary IDE controller. Your bootloader, whichever, assigned the disk therefore the device name "hdc" and that is what your bootloader wrote in its config file, as the place it will find Linux (i.e. vmlinuz) on subsequent boots--"partition three of the third hard disk (hard disk c)." But when you swap the disk over into the notebook it becomes something different, master disk on the _primary_ IDE controller, rather than the secondary, #a rather than #c, and so your bootloader needs its config file edited to tell the bootloader that Linux now is not on "hdc3" as before but rather on "hda3" now, to reflect this move. Otherwise no tickee no findee shirtee, as they say in the Shanghai laundry business.

What bootloader are you using? Exactly which files did you copy onto partition 3?
CaptCadwallader

PostPosted: Sun 14 May 2006, 22:58    Post subject:  

As a matter of fact I think you are absolutely right. I think I did use the IDE secondary not primary cable. I will try again. I am using GAG as a bootloader. http://gag.sourceforge.net/. I loaded Fedora Core 5 on a dual boot xp box but Grub never came up so it only boots to Fedore Core. I then put Umbutu on it so I could dual boot. I just downloaded SUSE 10.1 so I could get the linux boot disks and pcmcia disks and put them on another box, but will try the IDE master route. I figure that if I keep trying long enough I will find something that works.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Fair seas and following winds.

Bill Cadwallader

CaptCadwallader

PostPosted: Mon 15 May 2006, 12:28    Post subject:  

Problem solved! The problem was that I had installed Puppy Linux to a notebook hard drive on the secondary IDE cable on a Pentium III computer I have built on a wodden board. By using an old computer on a wooden board it becomes my test bench so I can easily swap hard drives, video boards etc, to test configurations and software. I even have a PII test bench because I have found some software that will not load to a PIII (Caldera Linux 2.3)

You were absolutely right. I took the hard drive out of the notebook. I put it on my Pentium III test bench. I then connected the PRIMARY ide cable to the notebook hard drive with a 2.5 inch to 3.5 inch converter. I then loaded Puppy Linux to the linux formatted partition. I then checked and GRUB did allow me to dual boot on the PIII test bench. I took the hard drive off of the test bench and put it back into the notebook. I tried Grub. It worked as expected. I tried to go into win98. No problems. I then tried puppy. I had to adjust the video and then, no problems. I can now dual boot. I activated the firewall, the pcmcia ethernet and downloaded additional software. Now I am adjusting the software to my prederences. Will probably have additional questions in the future, but for right now, I am a happy camper. Thanks for you help and suggestions.

If you are ever in the Northern Nevada area let me buy you lunch and drive you around Lake Tahoe.

Fair seas and following winds.

Sit Heel Speak

PostPosted: Wed 17 May 2006, 04:17    Post subject:  

CaptCadwallader wrote:
If you are ever in the Northern Nevada area let me buy you lunch and drive you around Lake Tahoe.

I will keep the invitation in mind!
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware
Jump to: