Zoom - video chat software

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
labbe5

#1 Post by labbe5 »

wget -O /tmp/zoom.deb https://zoom.us/client/latest/zoom_amd64.deb

i386 instead of amd64 for a 32-bit deb.

Bionic needs libxcb-xtest0 as dependency. In repositories.

Install the deb file in tmp folder.

Free for personal meeting : https://zoom.us/pricing

To get your copy of Zoom : The Zoom Client for Linux allows you to start or join Zoom meetings on Ubuntu, Fedora, and many other Linux distributions.
https://zoom.us/download#client_4meeting

Enjoy!

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

How does Zoom differ from Skype?

ndujoe1

zoom video chat software

#3 Post by ndujoe1 »

zoom is video presentation interface. Our computer group has used it to watch presenters offer subjects and content to many users online.

michel804

#4 Post by michel804 »

Flash wrote:How does Zoom differ from Skype?
Zoom has the ability to do screen sharing among other things...and there are a lot of tools available with the screen sharing feature.
I am not sure you can do that with Skype.

michel804

#5 Post by michel804 »

I was wondering if there is a zoom client for Slacko64, if not how to create one from the tar.xz file
Thanks

Gordie

#6 Post by Gordie »

michel804 wrote:I was wondering if there is a zoom client for Slacko64, if not how to create one from the tar.xz file
Thanks
Hi, here is a SlackBuild for Slackware 14.2 You will need to compile and install it.

https://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.2 ... oom-linux/

Here is an already compiled program. Just download and install the .txz
https://packages.slackonly.com/pub/pack ... oom-linux/
--
Cheers
Gordie
Slackware64-Current, Thinkpad W510, Intel i7, 8G/500G, Lilo / Legacy.
Fatdog64 + 6 Puppies on USB flash drives.
Windows 10 / Slackware64-Current, HP desktop, Intel Core2 Duo, 4G/500G/250G, Lilo / Legacy.

michel804

#7 Post by michel804 »

Thanks Gordie for the link.

Is the second one ready to go for Slacko64?

Gordie

Re: Zoom - video chat software

#8 Post by Gordie »

michel804 wrote:Thanks Gordie for the link.

Is the second one ready to go for Slacko64?
It is pre-compiled for Slackware 14.2
Your pup will be derived from Slackware 14.1

Sooo, maybe yes and maybe no so you will have to try it and see. Slackware releases are way too ancient to rely on for puppy
--
Cheers
Gordie
Slackware64-Current, Thinkpad W510, Intel i7, 8G/500G, Lilo / Legacy.
Fatdog64 + 6 Puppies on USB flash drives.
Windows 10 / Slackware64-Current, HP desktop, Intel Core2 Duo, 4G/500G/250G, Lilo / Legacy.

Mike Walsh

#9 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ michel804:-

Take a look at step's Zoom SFS package built for FatDog:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=118289

It appears to run fine in Xenialpup64 and Bionicpup64, with a little bit of 'tweaking'. The Qt5 stuff is all built-in, though with Slacko64 you're bound to have a bit more of a lib-chase, I'm afraid; that's a legacy of Slackware's very conservative approach to things.

You may find https://pkgs.org to be helpful in this respect; it's a good place for tracking down all sorts of weird & wonderful deps, etc.....

Mike. :wink:

vtpup

Tahrpup?

#10 Post by vtpup »

Anybody got Zoom working in 32 bit Tahrpup?

I downloaded and ran the i386 deb version. But when running from terminal get this:

Code: Select all

root# zoom
ZoomLauncher started.
Zoom not exist at current directory - /root
Zoom path is: /opt/zoom
cmd line: 
CreateReportChannel bp_server_fd=4
$HOME = /root 
Can't load/root/.config/zoomus.conf
export SSB_HOME=/root/.zoom; export QSG_INFO=1; export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/zoom; export BREAKPAD_CLIENT_FD=3; /opt/zoom/zoom "" 
sh: pactl: command not found
zoom started.
Client: Breakpad is using Client-Server Mode! client fd = 3
[CZPClientLogMgr::LogClientEnvironment] [MacAddr: 7C:E9:D3:80:FB:8F][client: Linux][OS: tahrpup 6.0.5][Hardware: CPU Core:2 Frenquency:1.6 G Memory size:2639MB CPU Brand:         Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU B815 @ 1.60GHz GPU Brand:][Req ID: ]
Linux Client Version is 3.5.372466.0322
QSG_RENDER_LOOP is 
XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP = ;   GDMSESSION = 
Graphics Card Info:: 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
Zoom package arch is 32bit, runing OS arch is i386
AppIconMgr::systemDesktopName log Desktop Name:  
qt.scenegraph.info: QSG: basic render loop
link image0 hasn't been detected!
Could not resolve property : pattern0
ZoomLauncher: new dump generated from pid 27316, path: /root/.zoom/logs/0328f898-9973-a2b6-2eb76d0d-55134f52.dmp
$HOME = /root 
Can't load/root/.config/zoomus.conf
sh: line 1: 27316 Segmentation fault      /opt/zoom/zoom ""
success to create child process,status is 35584.
zoom exited normally.
Something went wrong while running zoom,exit code is 139.
ZoomLauncher exit.
Thanks!
[color=darkblue]Acer Aspire 5349-2635 laptop Tahrpup.[/color]
[color=blue]Acer R11 and C720 Chromebks Bionicpup64[/color]
[color=olive]Acer Iconia A1-830 tablet no pup[/color]
[color=orange]www.sredmond.com[/color]

OscarTalks

#11 Post by OscarTalks »

The bit about pactl command not found is because zoom is looking for pulse audio and pulse audio can be a bit problematic to get installed and working.
Oscar in England

Sky Aisling

#12 Post by Sky Aisling »

Hi All,
Here's my machine configuration:
HP Pavilion dm1 64bit notebook
4G RAM
CPU AMD-E-350 1 processor 2 cores

Can someone suggest where to start looking to activate ZOOM 64bit in Dpup stretch 7.5?

I choose 64 bit Debian download from official zoom site.
https://zoom.us/download
I choose 'getpet' option when downloading.
Download came in swift with no errors. Zoom is showing up in menu under 'network'.
But, it is not activating.
How to activate?
Many thanks in advance for assistance with this.
Sky (Happy to announce Sky has made it to her 80th birthday this month, amazingly)
PS - I have signed up with Zoom through Google.
Terminal says:
# zoom
bash: /usr/bin/zoom: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error
#

vtpup

#13 Post by vtpup »

OscarTalks wrote:The bit about pactl command not found is because zoom is looking for pulse audio and pulse audio can be a bit problematic to get installed and working.
Thanks OscarTalks. Is there a possible workaround with asound?

And is that the only problem in my error message? I am wondering about the segmentation fault. Might this relate to PAE/NoPAE?

OscarTalks

#14 Post by OscarTalks »

I remember taking a brief look at zoom in Dpup Stretch and when I came across the pulse audio issue I didn't continue with it as I don't have any need for zoom myself at the present time, so maybe someone else has looked deeper into it. Perhaps the segmentation fault will go away if you give it a working pulse audio daemon to connect to.
Oscar in England

Mike Walsh

#15 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ vtpup:-

I see you're getting the same stuff I've been getting (I've been trying to get this to behave itself in DPup Stretch).....including the bit about not being able to find /root/.config/zoomus.conf. It keeps going on and ON about this.....and almost immediately afterwards, I get a segmentation fault, just like you.

I'm starting to get a feeling that the 32-bit .debs have perhaps been compiled incorrectly? Especially given that people are getting this same issue on disparate machines & Puppies.....

I'll keep plugging away at this, but I've found that usually when you start getting segfaults with a particular package, that you are in fact on a hiding to nothing. I doubt it's anything to do with PAE/non-PAE; segfaults usually occur when applications try to access 'protected' areas of memory where they really shouldn't be poking their noses in.....and this often as not, from what I can understand, derives almost entirely from 'sloppy' coding.

It is, of course, entirely possible that what constitutes 'protected' memory for a Linux machine may not be considered so when running Windoze? Wouldn't like to say....

vtpup

#16 Post by vtpup »

Thanks OscarTalks and Mike Walsh.

Mike it is good to hear that it isn't just Tahrpup, or my particular installation with those errors. I don't get why it doesn't create /root/.config/zoomus.conf. As an experiment I created a blank file zoomus.conf file there, but no joy. Didn't expect much, but sometimes works.

Maybe this is a problem with our use of root user instead of a more usual restricted user with a /home directory. Dunno, stabbing in the dark really. Wonder if the 32 bit deb works with non-puppies?

Mike Walsh

#17 Post by Mike Walsh »

vtpup wrote:Thanks OscarTalks and Mike Walsh.

Mike it is good to hear that it isn't just Tahrpup, or my particular installation with those errors. I don't get why it doesn't create /root/.config/zoomus.conf. As an experiment I created a blank file zoomus.conf file there, but no joy. Didn't expect much, but sometimes works.

Maybe this is a problem with our use of root user instead of a more usual restricted user with a /home directory. Dunno, stabbing in the dark really. Wonder if the 32 bit deb works with non-puppies?

I think you'll find that Zoom - at least in the 64-bit package step assembled - is 'running-as-spot' anyway. It's the only way it seems to work for us, so with this package, zoomus.conf is at /root/spot/.config/zoomus.conf.

Like I said, I'll carry on experimenting with the 32-bit package, and see where I can get to with it.... Can't say fairer than that.

Sky Aisling

#18 Post by Sky Aisling »

Hi All,

The reason why I am asking about how to get ZOOM to work on DPup Stretch 7.5 is that our state is in 'stay at home' mode during this virus situation. I live in Washington State, USA, the second most effected state in USA. Most group activities are canceled and people are taking to ZOOM to keep small meetings going.

Thanks for any assistance you can give.

Sky

vtpup

#19 Post by vtpup »

Thanks Mike. Fingers crossed re. 32 bit.

I've actually wanted to move to a 64 bit Puppy for awhile, but unfortunately some critical frequently used programs for me just don't work with 64 bit WINE on for example BionicPup64.

One in particular, the old Google Sketchup 7, needs WINE 1.5.9 or earlier, unavailable in 64 bit. Later WINEs universally prevent the program from exporting graphics, an essential need.

I know Trimble now owns Sketchup and has many later free versions but none will do what the old Google 7 version will do with the special Ruby plugins I have (.dxf output for one).

Anyway, as long as I'm stuck on Tahrpup 32 bit, it would be very helpful to have Zoom in the Covid-9 present day stay at home orders here.

Mike Walsh

#20 Post by Mike Walsh »

Umm.....O-kay.

I don't think I've ever used 64-bit WINE in my life.....and from what I hear, it doesn't function all that well, partly due to the 'inversion' of what you'd expect in the Windows SysWOW64 directories.

You are aware, I take it, that 'regular', 32-bit WINE functions fine so long as you load the 32-bit compat_libs SFS package first, yes?

I use a lot of odds'n'ends from Windoze, and haven't yet found anything that I want to run that doesn't have a 32-bit version..... I was going to try it out, actually, just to prove my point, but I see that

a) It's 64-bit only, and

b) It's a 'paid' app.....you need to purchase it!

No thanks.

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Thu 26 Mar 2020, 23:52, edited 1 time in total.