Saluki / Lucid525/528 USB Boot hang (SOLVED)

Please post any bugs you have found
greengeek

Re: Saluki and Lucid 525 / 528 USB Boot freeze.

#31 Post by greengeek »

ETP wrote:I am posting a copy of this email this for the sake of completeness:
Thanks ETP. Useful info.
bigpup wrote:Have you ever used Bootflash install Puppy to USB?
Hi bigpup, yes, I have been trialling bootflash recently, but once again I am labouring under the weight my inexperience. :-)
In particular, I am working with one usb stick that I have never been able to boot from, and trying the USB-HDD option within bootflash. I seem to get things hanging when it tries to copy the files from the iso. I think I am doing something wrong with the location of the iso, so will be trying again with putting the iso in the root folder, and also with a different usb stick. Will report back when I clear the fog of ignorance from my brow. :-)

bigpup

#32 Post by bigpup »

Bootflash hangs.
If you are running Bootflash from an installed Puppy.
Try this:
Open Rox file manager
Find the Puppy ISO file and left click on it.
This will mount the ISO file.
Now try Bootflash.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

greengeek

#33 Post by greengeek »

bigpup wrote:If you are running Bootflash from an installed Puppy.
Try this: Open Rox file manager, Find the Puppy ISO file and left click on it.
This will mount the ISO file.
Thanks Bigpup. I have just tried this again and found that as well as being mounted the iso had to be in the root folder. I think this must be why I was having so much trouble before - must have had the iso unmounted and/or in the wrong place.
Just one annoyance though - the bootflash routine did not warn me that both partitions on the usb stick would be overwritten and combined into one. Fortunately I had a backup of all the data lost from the data partition. Trap for young players I guess.

I still need to go back and redo my previous trials using bootflash instead of universal installer to see if it overcomes the two problems I was having. Not just yet though.

greengeek

#34 Post by greengeek »

rcrsn51 wrote:If you watch closely while the Universal Installer is running, you will see the "unsafe permissions" error message. You will also see that the file ldlinux.sys is NOT written to the flash drive, so it can't boot.

This is because the folder /tmp does not have its "sticky bit" set. I don't know why syslinux cares, but you can fix it with.

Code: Select all

chmod 1777 /tmp
Excellent. Wish i had remembered this old piece of advice. I have been having problems getting slacko 5.6 to prepare a bootable usb stick and the
/tmp permissions issue was the roadblock. Thanks!