Slacko 5.3.3 bug reports and feedback

Please post any bugs you have found
Bill_Gates

Problem with Battery Tray App - Slacko 5.3.3 - Dell E6420

#136 Post by Bill_Gates »

The battery icon in the tray is there but it doesn’t show the state of the battery. It’s simply gray. If I click on the battery icon the following is displayed

Slacko 5.3.3 - Dell E6420
Any ideas?
-Bill

[b][i]"Who needs M$ - Puppy Rules!"[/i][/b] :P

01micko

#137 Post by 01micko »

Hmm.. hello Bill_Gates..

I think one of your former employees submitted that one... [ :roll: ]

Actually all the info to calculate percentage charge remaining is there. Fortunately, I have played with the code in that app before so *should* be able to patch it.

Thanks for report. (EDIT: try the attached, I'm not sure I had the latest)

-

arslan

I'll attach an updated pequalizer. It's still not exactly perfect but it shouldn't crash after saving presets. Delete /root/.pequalizer or else it wont start!

-

christhi

I think Karl Godt was just attempting to be humourous, though I can't speak for him.

It certainly looks like Fido has a permission issue with time. That will be a woof bug, so I'll attempt to fix it and pass it on upstream. Thanks for report.
Attachments
power_applet.tar.gz
unpack and put in /root/Startup. overwriting the old one
(4.55 KiB) Downloaded 621 times
pequalizer-0.7.0.pet
(4.61 KiB) Downloaded 648 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Bill_Gates

#138 Post by Bill_Gates »

Hi 01micko and thank you for your quick reply. I downloaded power_applet.tar.gz and expanded it to /root/Startup, overwriting the old one.

Unfortunately, after a reboot, no change. The icon is still gray and unchanged.
-Bill

[b][i]"Who needs M$ - Puppy Rules!"[/i][/b] :P

simes

Fontwizard not working, not saving settings in 5.3.3

#139 Post by simes »

H, I have just moved from Lupu 528 to Slacko 533 and am enjoying the experience. It's a clean, fresh desktop, easy to use and seems faster than Lupu on my old machine. However it's not so easy to look at because the Fontwizard PET isn't working - doesn't save the settings I make (even within the same session) and doesn't seem to do anything. In Lupu, Fontwizard made a big difference to text clarity and I am looking for the same in Slacko. Any ideas please?

ETP

Fontwizard not working, not saving settings in 5.3.3

#140 Post by ETP »

Hi simes,

The fontwizard pet does work with 5.3.3 but does not show retained ticks if you re-launch it.

My eyesight is poor and these are my standard tweaks:
Try the following (in order):

1. Select "no shadow" in Rox options (leave the font as you find it for now)

2. In desktop "select global font size" increase by no more than 2 buttons.

3. If using LCD load Fontwizard.pet, run, select all tick boxes then restart X.

4. Back in Rox options pinboard increase font size by one or two points (you may need bold)

5. In desktop/GTK theme chooser increase the font size.
(click on font & increase point size)

6. May need to then tweak 2,4 and 5.
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]

simes

#141 Post by simes »

Thank you ETP. I've done as you suggest and it helps me a lot.

01micko

#142 Post by 01micko »

Important announcement in the main post regarding up to date patches.

tlchost

Drive Icons

#143 Post by tlchost »

I am running 533 as a bootable USB, I notice that while I can mount a second USB drive (Other than the one I use to boot Slacko), the icon does not appear on the desktop.

Anyone else notice this? Is there a fix? Could someone test this in the beta version?

thanks

Thom

rcrsn51

Re: Drive Icons

#144 Post by rcrsn51 »

tlchost wrote:I am running 533 as a bootable USB, I notice that while I can mount a second USB drive (Other than the one I use to boot Slacko), the icon does not appear on the desktop.Anyone else notice this?
This works correctly for me.
Is there a fix?
Try running the Desktop Drive Icon Manager and doing a Redraw operation.

tlchost

#145 Post by tlchost »

rcrsn51 wrote:
tlchost wrote:I am running 533 as a bootable USB, I notice that while I can mount a second USB drive (Other than the one I use to boot Slacko), the icon does not appear on the desktop.Anyone else notice this?
Is there a fix?
Thanks

That seems to work, although you must restart x to have it take.

Also the option to erase and then redraw and realign tick box does not stay ticked, as well as the tick box for autolaunch handler.

Jasper

#146 Post by Jasper »

Hi 01micko,

I am staying with Slacko 5.3.1 main (it's stable, fast and ideally suited to my needs and preferences) so I very much appreciate the continuing support with patches for versions 530 to 533 reported under the heading "IMPORTANT" in your opening post on page 1.

Conveniently the columns can be sorted by name, date or size; so may I ask if using

http://mirrors.dotsrc.org/slackware/sla ... /packages/

is an alternative way to download the patches/updates?

My regards

PS I'm sure we all wish you well in your upcoming exams.

tlchost

#147 Post by tlchost »

tlchost wrote:
rcrsn51 wrote:
Is there a fix?
Thanks

That seems to work, although you must restart x to have it take.
It seems that I have to restart x after a reboot to get this to work. Other than placing a command to restart x in the startup folder, which would create an endless loop, wthat command can I add to slcko to restart-x
immediately after boot?

Thanks

Also the option to erase and then redraw and realign tick box does not stay ticked, as well as the tick box for autolaunch handler.[/quote]

npierce

#148 Post by npierce »

Subject: Running xorgwizard changes option settings for synaptics touchpad driver.

This is a bug in xorgwizard that affects Slacko 5.3.3 (and any other Puppy that uses an Xorg X server version 1.9). This won't affect future Slackos or other Puppies that use an Xorg X server version 1.10.0 or newer, or a version older than 1.9.

o To reproduce problem:

1. Assuming that your PC uses the Xorg X server and the synaptics driver, boot Slacko 5.3.3 without a save file and try your touchpad, noticing its speed and acceleration.

2. Menu -> Shutdown -> Exit to prompt

3. Run xorgwizard and make your usual choices.

4. Run xwin and try your touchpad. Notice that the speed and/or acceleration will have changed.

o Background:

In June and August of 2010, the developers at X.org made significant changes to the way that the synaptics touchpad driver handles acceleration. These changes were first released in version 1.3.0 of the synaptics driver on August 31, 2010 (See synaptics-1.3-branch), in the same month that Xorg X server 1.9.0 was released. Because of these changes, the values for the "AccelFactor", "MinSpeed", and "MaxSpeed" options previously specified in xorg.conf for use with earlier versions of the synaptics driver were no longer appropriate. Using those values with the new driver would make the pointer movement noticeably sluggish.

Puppy's xorgwizard-automatic script handles these changes by adjusting the "Synaptics Mouse" section of xorg.conf that it creates according to the version of the Xorg X server being used.

Slacko's /etc/DISTRO_SPECS file defines DISTRO_XORG_AUTO='yes', and the Xorg X server in Slacko 5.3.3 is version 1.9.5. So, when xwin sees that the xorg.conf file needs to be created, and that an Xorg X server version 1.7.0 or newer is to be used, it runs xorgwizard-automatic instead of xorgwizard. So far, this is good.

When xorgwizard-automatic detects a supported touchpad, and sees that an Xorg X server version 1.9.0 or newer is to be used, it creates an "InputDevice" section in xorg.conf for the "Synaptics Mouse", which doesn't load any options for the driver. So the driver uses its default settings. This is also good.

o The problem:

But, if the user decides to run xorgwizard (not xorgwizard-automatic) to choose a different screen resolution or whatever, xorgwizard behaves differently. This is because, when creating the "Synaptics Mouse" section, xorgwizard compares the Xorg X server version to 1.10.0, not 1.9.0 as xorgwizard-automatic does.

When xorgwizard detects a supported touchpad, and sees that an Xorg X server version older than 1.10.0 is used, it creates an "InputDevice" section in xorg.conf for the "Synaptics Mouse", which loads various options for the driver. Some of these settings are very different from the driver's default settings, since they were originally used with older versions of the synaptics driver. The user will likely notice that the pointer moves much more slowly than previously. This is not good.

The fix is simply to change this line in xorgwizard:

Code: Select all

if vercmp $XORGVER lt 1.10.0;then #110701
to:

if vercmp $XORGVER lt 1.9.0; then #110701, 121014
(Having an XOrg X server 1.9.0 or greater is not an absolute guarantee that the synaptics driver is 1.3.0 or greater, or vice versa, but it is highly probable. Of course, there was a brief window in late August of 2010 when someone could have grabbed the latest versions and got the X server 1.9.0 and the old synaptics 1.2.0 driver, but I'm not aware of any Puppies with that unlikely combination.)

Note that if the user ran flsynclient before ever running xorgwizard, didn't adjust the acceleration, but did click Save, the good values will have been saved and should be restored when rebooted. In this case, one might reasonably expect that even if the user later runs xorgwizard, the user would experience a sluggish pointer only briefly until the load-touchpad-settings script ran and restored the good settings.

Unfortunately, that is not the case. Although the good settings are restored, the actual speed and/or acceleration of the touchpad are not the same as they were when first booted. Without digging deeply into the source code, my best guess is that one or more internal values are now calculated when the driver first starts, based on the speed and acceleration values at that time, and those internal values don't get recalculated when MinSpeed, MaxSpeed, and AccelFactor values later get reset. That's just a guess at what's happening, but whatever is happening, the bottom line is that if you change the values that are used when the driver is first loaded, values loaded later will cause different behavior than the same values did previously.

Let me clarify. Although the values saved by flsynclient (that previously worked well before the user ran xorgwizard) will result in different behavior after the user runs xorgwizard, it may be possible for the user to then use flsynclient again and achieve acceptable (but not ideal) behavior by changing the MinSpeed and Max Speed values. And, if saved, those new values will continue to work on future restarts of X, unless the synaptics options in xorg.cong are changed again (as would happen if the user ran xorgwizard-automatic again).

Unfortunately, any attempt to adjust the acceleration with flsynclient will probably result in less acceleration than desired. This is because flsynclient was designed for the older versions of the synaptics driver, which used smaller values for "AccelFactor". The limit in flsynclient is 0.01, but a typical value for use with the new driver (when using a Synaptics touchpad) is 0.04. (If the value is already above flsynclient's 0.01 limit, flsynclient will save that value OK, but any attempt to change the value will result in a value of 0.01 or less.) If a user runs into this problem, it can be fixed with synclient, like so:

synclient AccelFactor=0.04
(If one has time for such things, one can observe some of the confusing behavior of the new synaptics driver by setting the MinSpeed option in xorg.conf to any value other than one. (To see this, the /root/.flSynclient file, if any, will need to be temporarily removed or hidden to prevent the values from being overwritten by load-touchpad-settings after restarting X.) After X is restarted, synclient -l will list the current values. Confusingly, the values that were given in xorg.conf for MinSpeed and MaxSpeed will have been changed by the driver. They have been multiplied by the reciprocal of MinSpeed. (Looking at the source code, I see that MinSpeed isn't actually multiplied by its reciprocal, but is simply set to one, which is of course the same result.) Is this any way to design a user-friendly interface? :))

o Not a problem, but while we are in the neighborhood:

As a side note, the following line that appears in three places in both xorgwizard and xorgwizard-automatic is now unnecessary:

Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
I believe it was used with Linux 2.4 kernels. The line that follows it sets the "auto-dev" protocol, which automatically sets a /dev/input/event* device when used with 2.6 and newer kernels.

So recent Xorg X servers (including Xorg 1.9.5 in Slacko) mostly ignore the Option "Device" "/dev/psaux" line. But for some reason the Xorg 1.11.0 X server is confused by this line, if it finds it in xorg.conf, and will fail. But this is NOT a problem for any Puppy, since neither xorgwizard nor xorgwizard-automatic put that line in xorg.conf when an Xorg X server 1.10.0 or newer is to be used. So no change to Puppy needs to be made for that.

01micko

#149 Post by 01micko »

Bravo npierce!

Nice post and a link in the main post has been added directed to your post.

Thanks.

----------------------------------

I have developed a simple updates manager to complement the posted patches repo.

See main post

ICPUG

#150 Post by ICPUG »

Great work npierce.

I have noticed the behaviour and used flsynclient to sort myself out. Now I know why it happens. You must have spent a lot of time researching and checking code.

Thanks for that.

npierce

#151 Post by npierce »

01micko and ICPUG,

You're welcome. Thanks for the kind words.

The new updates manager is a handy addition. Thanks 01micko.
ICPUG wrote:You must have spent a lot of time researching and checking code.
Yes. Sometimes I start looking into what I think is a simple issue, and before I know it I've run into other issues, and hours or days have gone by. :)

nooby

#152 Post by nooby »

I'm testing Thin slacko just now.
I reused a Grandr pet I found on Smokey
and that one worked well.

Firefox has Namoroka 3.6.28 instead of FF 16.0.01
that my Lupu have now.

Does that make my browsing insecure maybe?
Any suggestion? Should I try to get FF instead
or what?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

npierce

#153 Post by npierce »

At http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 385#647385,
Baldronicus wrote:The problem:
A right-click on a clear area of the desktop (under the default configuration) brings up the menu, as expected. After this is cleared (by a left-click), subsequent right-clicks on the desktop icons (including the drive icons) result in the desktop menu appearing, as if they were right-clicks on a clear area of the desktop (or as if the icons were not there, or simply not identified).
A subsequent left-click (or in some/many cases two spaced left-clicks) on one of the icons results in it working as expected. Following this, right-clicking on the icons also works as expected (as if the "problem trigger" had been reset).
Another right-click on a clear area of the desktop recreates the problem, and subsequent left-clicking on an icon clears it again.
ETP wrote:Bug confirmed. (Also exists in 5.3.3.2.) It would seem that we have all been living with it!
Minor as you say, but very confusing for anyone new to Slacko.
Jasper wrote:It is the same with Slacko 5.3.1 . . .
That is the ROX-Filer "ungrab bug" (a.k.a. "multiple root menus problem"). This has been patched. See Barry's blog entry: ROX-Filer multiple-jwm-menus fix

Note that the .pet offered in that blog entry is no longer the latest ROX-Filer .pet. For the latest, see Barry's blog entry: ROX-Filer squashed log-window

But those .pets may not be best for use with Slacko, since 01micko reports that "For some reason rox needs to be compiled in Slacko or else Fido refuses to work." (See his comment under Barry's blog entry: ROX-Filer focus problem fixed) So it is probably best to compile on Slacko from the patched source, which can be found in the file rox-filer-20111022-patched3.tar.gz at http://bkhome.org/sources/alphabetical/r/.

EDIT: Also note that installing a .pet would have side-effects. For instance, your PuppyPin file would be overwritten with the PuppyPin used for Wary and Racy. So, again, it's best to compile your own from the patched source, or wait for someone to make a Slacko version of the .pet. (Even then, if you have customized your PuppyPin, you would want to back it up before installing the new .pet.)

npierce

PPM in Slacko: Some repo check boxes don't work.

#154 Post by npierce »

The following lines in pkg_chooser.sh prevent the use of quirky and wary5 repositories in slacko, even though the database files for both are included in the distro, and so check boxes are available in the configuration dialog -- they just don't do anything:

# #100903 if wary5, want to list quirky repo, as has same code base...
# [ "$BASEREPO" = "Packages-puppy-quirky-official" ] && [ "$DISTRO_COMPAT_VERSION" != "wary5" ] && continue #100126 already handled above. 100903
# [ "$BASEREPO" = "Packages-puppy-wary5-official" ] && continue #100903 already handled above.
# [ "$BASEREPO" = "Packages-puppy-lucid-official" ] && continue #100911 already handled above.
To reproduce:

1. In Slacko 5.3.3, run PPM and choose Configure package manager (or, in the Ziggy UI, the button with the screwdriver and spanner).

2. Click either of the check boxes for puppy-quirky-official or puppy-wary5-official. (If you already had 5 boxes checked, you will need to uncheck one so as not to exceed the limit of 5.)

3. Click OK.

4. Exit from the PPM.

5. Run PPM again and note that the newly selected repo is not listed under Repositories.

Perhaps this is intentional to discourage users from installing stuff in Slacko from these older repositories. If that is the case, their database files should probably be removed to prevent them from showing up in the configuration dialog. (Although I am guessing this isn't intentional since the even older Puppy-2, -3, -4, and -5 repositories are available, and don't have this issue.)

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#155 Post by Lobster »

Openshot with 3D rendering of animated titles from Blender
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 947#661947
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D