How should Puppy look like?

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
01micko

#16 Post by 01micko »

Ok, interesting topic.. look can add function and sex appeal, I guess the balance needs to be correct.

-

I have used zigbert's svg ideas to go global with svg gtk theming.. not too intrusive though (and not too professional either, but it's a start).

I have utilised the $HOME/.gtkrc.mine file which is usually included if existing in Puppy's gtkrc by default and made a simple little engine to add svg themes to existing gtk themes. The best way for me to explain this is by posting the code, in pet form (just untar if you don't want to install).

I have taken a very simple approach, a rip off of zigbert's work actually . I'm not an artist , zigbert is, so why would I try to design such!

Anyway, here's the pet and some pics.

EDIT: svg background adjusts to screen size
Attachments
gtk_themes_extra-0.2.pet
experimental
(1.94 KiB) Downloaded 342 times
country.png
(27.15 KiB) Downloaded 621 times
pupmd5new.png
(23.45 KiB) Downloaded 667 times
Last edited by 01micko on Sun 13 May 2012, 20:58, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#17 Post by Lobster »

Important and useful debate.
I particularly found Miriams points useful . . .
Form follows function
If the form detracts or interferes with the
function, it is a bug.

If you can not find or see the components of the greatest
program ever created, or if it slows you down because it is unclear.
Then the program is flawed, slow or buggy.

The program is a whole.

Thinking of the design in this way helps programmers
understand that end users and their needs and responses
are very useful feedback.

Any program should look 'obvious'.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

zigbert

#18 Post by zigbert »

Mick
I find your glowing gtk-extra to be in the very best Puppy tradition - of giving Puppy the most toyish look possible :lol: I can't help it, but the taste of design is sure not equal for all humans.

I made another approach, and added a (not distracting) glow as a part of the Stardust gtk-theme.

If we could settle on a couple of themes, we could rebuild them with svg. The user could then pick fg/bg from a color-chooser (maybe only fg color). That would be very cool. I suggest Flat-grey-rounded and Stardust since they have survived many releases and are totally different but still similar built. Both are extremely small, good looking, and easy to define alternative fg/bg

Back to the technical part, there is a speed-issue by using a svg as background image. To avoid tiling, the svg has to be huge and that renders slow even on my new machine. But to be honest, - there must be a way to set bg-image NOT as tile. WHERE IS THE SETTING?

Sigmund
Attachments
Stardust_gradient.tar.gz
(10.06 KiB) Downloaded 348 times

01micko

#19 Post by 01micko »

zigbert wrote:- of giving Puppy the most toyish look possible :lol:
:lol: I'm no artist! (and it shows :oops: )
- there must be a way to set bg-image NOT as tile. WHERE IS THE SETTING?
Yes, did give it some thought, maybe based on screen size? But it takes a performance hit at hi-res however the image generates once only. Edited attachment above.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Argolance

#20 Post by Argolance »

Hello,
I discover this thread by chance... and see (:? :D) that pmount has already been re-looked by zigbert, exactly as I tried to do it on my side for the next release of Toutou LINUX! I thought indeed it was a pity not to see occupied space of every peripheral directly here and then to be constrained to run partview. So it is no use anymore to make freememapplet run partview while clicking on: better is the script to let user resize his personal storage file...

Cordialement.
Attachments
Pmount_2.jpg
(29.49 KiB) Downloaded 421 times
Pmount.jpg
(25.11 KiB) Downloaded 477 times

technosaurus

#21 Post by technosaurus »

I gathered some SVG icons from here:
http://raphaeljs.com/icons/
and made them useful here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 588#634588

I am looking for some more, similar SVG line drawings to the links, because they will be simple to integrate with themes.
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

zigbert

#22 Post by zigbert »

technosaurus
:D Thank you

Ok, they are hardcoded for now, but when svg becomes a part of the Puppy theme-settings is will be easy to switch to global settings.

Sigmund