Firefox Plug-in Flash Help for Winded Old Junkers [Outdated]

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
pemasu

#31 Post by pemasu »

I have earlier created a pet of flvideoreplacer. I have extracted the metadata info and recreated the .xpi so that it installs to the /usr/lib/firefox/extensions/

Here is how you do it. Quote from Barry`s blog by Iguleder:
Barry, I found a way to pre-install extensions for Firefox and Seamonkey without having to create a profile first!
It's really simple - I found out that xpi extensions are zip archives. Just unzip an extensions, open install.rdf and get its ID, which is a GUID.
In the case of TorButton, it's "{e0204bd5-9d31-402b-a99d-a6aa8ffebdca}".
Here's how to pre-install TorButton for all users, if so (assuming Firefox is located in /usr/local/apps/firefox):
install -m644 -D torbutton-current.xpi $INSTALL_DIR/usr/local/apps/firefox/extensions/\{e0204bd5-9d31-402b-a99d-a6aa8ffebdca\}.xpi
It means that if you remove your /root/.mozilla content, the extension is not removed. Generic installation. It is nice trick for puppy builder...it gives possibility to push extensions preinstalled to the Firefox. I have flashblock, adblock and fireftp preinstalled this way.....
Attachments
flvideoreplacer-2.1.1-fx.pet
(119.56 KiB) Downloaded 413 times

Monsie

Firefox Plug-in, Flash Help for Winded Old Junkers [Edit]

#32 Post by Monsie »

Hi all,

It took me awhile... but I found an alternate download site "cough, cough" where I was able to get FVR 2.1.14 I am not sure if this was the most recent version but if not, it's close. The download is an .xpi file, so one way to install it is to open Firefox in a small window, then drag the file from your download directory and drop it inside the browser window... you'll get a prompt asking if you want to install the add-on... etc --done.

The place where I found this item is "cough, cough" over here. I am saving this little gem because it allows me to install it in other distros also... and at this point I am not feeling too optimistic that the developer will be allowed to resume work with his projects... If need be, I can upload it as an attachment.

Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

666philb

#33 Post by 666philb »

:D
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

pemasu

#34 Post by pemasu »

Attachments
flvideoreplacer-2.1.5.pet
(119.56 KiB) Downloaded 524 times

Dewbie

#35 Post by Dewbie »

I wrote:
I've installed flashblock and user agent switcher .xpi files by dragging them to the browser and following the install prompts. If they're not compatible with a browser, they generally won't install.
disciple wrote:
Dewbie, I'm not sure what your point is.
Same point Monsie made, five posts later.
Read the second part of his first paragraph.
Unlike .pets, .tarballs, etc., .xpis often don't extract / install when you click on them.
Last edited by Dewbie on Thu 02 Aug 2012, 00:40, edited 1 time in total.

disciple

#36 Post by disciple »

I don't think you understood my post which you were quoting. That is of course what they would do if you have the .xpi, but if you're retrieving a plugin from the plugins folder you might only have it as an extracted folder.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

pemasu

#37 Post by pemasu »

if you're retrieving a plugin from the plugins folder you might only have it as an extracted folder.
True. I even have a script which converts the .xpi extension to the generic - for all users - uncompressed folder. Takes more space so havent used much more than tested that it actually works.

I renamed the script to just xpi for short typing.
Usage:
add_global_firefox_extension.sh [-hof]
OPTIONS:
-o linux|osx
Operating system (mandatory)
-f /path/xpi_filename
path to the original xpi file to install in the operating system's global directory (mandatory)
-h this usage information
EXAMPLE:
add_global_firefox_extension.sh -o osx -f ./thesupergood.xpi

No...I havent created the script....I aint no coder. I just found it when studying .xpi extensions.
My example:
./xpi -o linux -f /root/Downloads/flvideoreplacer-2.1.15.xpi
and the script installs the .xpi as uncompressed folder to the system global extensions directory. For me:
/usr/lib/firefox/extensions but you need to edit the script if you have system global extensions directory somewhere else.
Attachments
xpi.gz
(5.77 KiB) Downloaded 706 times

Colonel Panic

#38 Post by Colonel Panic »

Good thread! I'll try this when I next want to play a video.

Thanks (and Merry Christmas),

CP .
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

mikeb

#39 Post by mikeb »

Unfortunately its no longer supported (google threats) or working...was good when it did.

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/25105
does work and is current...not quite as convenient but working ...just scroll down and choose the addon for your browser.

mike

RetroTechGuy

#40 Post by RetroTechGuy »

mikeb wrote:Unfortunately its no longer supported (google threats) or working...was good when it did.

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/25105
does work and is current...not quite as convenient but working ...just scroll down and choose the addon for your browser.

mike
Now if we just had a drop in replacement for FireFox that wasn't so bloated.

My old desktop "only" has 1 GB RAM -- FF will crash it, if I turn off the 1 GB Swap. I bought a refurbed lappy, with 4GB (3 available to Lupu), and it runs fine... But good grief!.... You need more than a GB of RAM to run a browser?

I tried a whole pile of the "replacements" the other night -- all of them barked errors (some very strange, like "won't run" or some such useless message). I did get my system back to working condition by about 3AM...

I was just given an old XP desktop that some friends are retiring -- we had upgraded it to 2 GB RAM, I'm going to drop that in and see how it does...
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58615]Add swapfile[/url]
[url=http://wellminded.net63.net/]WellMinded Search[/url]
[url=http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html]PuppyLinux.US Search[/url]

mikeb

#41 Post by mikeb »

erm ff 3.6 perhaps....

mike

RetroTechGuy

#42 Post by RetroTechGuy »

mikeb wrote:
erm ff 3.6 perhaps....

mike
I tried a few of the "retro" (FF) packages, and a large number of sites informed me that they would soon disallow connections with those "vulnerable" browsers... :evil:

I had broken things so bad that I had to use Dillo to get new copies of FF (since I had pretty well corrupted stuff with the others)
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58615]Add swapfile[/url]
[url=http://wellminded.net63.net/]WellMinded Search[/url]
[url=http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html]PuppyLinux.US Search[/url]

mikeb

#43 Post by mikeb »

I tried a few of the "retro" (FF) packages, and a large number of sites informed me that they would soon disallow connections with those "vulnerable" browsers... Evil or Very Mad
well that very unsporting of them...I get the odd whine but no threats of that order...any site in particular?

But if it is a problem then spoofiing your version is easy with a simple addon like UAControl.

I can use firefox 1.5 and flash 9 on you tube by spoofing as an example with no whining..

Its all crap anyway..your browser choice does not affect their site...the browsers are safe in the real world...they are not Internet explorer....only real 'complaint' they will have is not supporting some 'orrible javascript that does naughty things to you....

Don't be bullied into sludgeland...

mike

mcewanw

#44 Post by mcewanw »

RetroTechGuy wrote: My old desktop "only" has 1 GB RAM -- FF will crash it, if I turn off the 1 GB Swap.
None of my computers have more than 1 GB RAM. I never create or use a swap file or partition and I generally run Firefox. I've used various version up to and including the latest and don't experience any crashes - despite FF being bloated and watching Youtube fullscreen and also having many tabs open at the same time often.

I can't help but wonder if you have a faulty RAM chip that causes the crash once certain RAM areas are accessed. I've had problems like that in the past.
github mcewanw

Moat

#45 Post by Moat »

mcewanw wrote: None of my computers have more than 1 GB RAM. I never create or use a swap file or partition and I generally run Firefox. I've used various version up to and including the latest and don't experience any crashes - despite FF being bloated and watching Youtube fullscreen and also having many tabs open at the same time often.
I was going to mention essentially the same thing. On both a weak single-cored Atom netbook and a circa 2005 HP lappy - both with 1Gb RAM and no swap - various Puppies (currently Precise Retro 5.7.1) and other Linux distros run newer Firefoxes without complaint. Firefox typically uses an additional 150-200 Mb RAM when open, and additional CPU use is only a few percent unless scrolling (during which it spikes 40-100%).

Firefox IS relatively bloated compared to many other browsers, but it's a matter of "you get what you pay for". Firefox's stability, extensibility and tweakability (especially via about:config) are second to none IMHO - and these mediocre machines run it without hiccup. You just have to get used to waiting a few more seconds for it to load on opening, compared to other lighter alternatives.

Not sure why you're having such problems, RetroTechGuy. :?:

mikeb

#46 Post by mikeb »

yes I did wonder...my tests with firefox 4+ did show a much larger profile but ok in terms of usability on a pentium 3 machine with 512mb ram

Chrome is 4 times the size I last saw.... thats getting large at 80MB compressed.

mike

disciple

#47 Post by disciple »

Moat wrote:Firefox's stability, extensibility and tweakability (especially via about:config) are second to none IMHO
I'm very skeptical about the stability - from what I can tell it is the least stable of the major linux browsers.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

mikeb

#48 Post by mikeb »

Every browser instability I have had has been traced down to a buggy gtk2 build and changing it sorts it out...bit of a puppy feature once upon a time...seems much better now..

mike

disciple

#49 Post by disciple »

Yes, I was ignoring the standard Puppy seamonkey crash due to a faulty GTK. I didn't realise it affected other browsers to though.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

mikeb

#50 Post by mikeb »

yes unfortunately ...either gtk or glib or both with flash sometimes thrown into the equation.... I don't miss those times :)

mike