Puppy on Blue Ray

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
fresnofred

Puppy on Blue Ray

#1 Post by fresnofred »

I have successfully put Puppy 5.2 on a dvd+rw and am able to save each session if desired. My question is has anyone tried and succeeded in putting Puppy on a rewriteable blu ray disk, which would be like having a 25 gb hard drive!!?? If so, does it save the file if you have the expensive blue ray burner installed in your pc??
Alternatively, how about any experience installing and saving files on a double-layer dvd which would be like having an 8 gb hard drive.
Jimbo

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

I haven't tried it but I can just about guarantee you it will work. However I've been running Puppy from multisession DVD for over 5 years and never needed more than the 1.4 GB available on a mini-DVD. I only save Puppy-related stuff, such as programs I install and configure, and settings I change, on the DVD. Anything not related to Puppy, I save on an external USB drive. I would replace the external drive with a Blu-ray DVD, rather than run Puppy from the Blu-ray DVD.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

Ted Dog

Blu-ray way to burn iso

#3 Post by Ted Dog »

I've made a batch of blu-ray bootable puppylinux linux mixes, while backing up my 1.5T HD, just to test burn settings. It is not much different then growisofs used in DVD but turning on Joilet switches like DVD burns causes some problems. Also a cryptic error message on session close, needs to be figured out.
Real happy with the speed improvements, over DVD burn and reading. Can not tell speed difference, booting from fugal HD or Blu-ray. How the Blu-Ray folks call just below 24G = 25Gs is beyond my creative math.
But can boot and read puppylinux blu-ray data discs just fine now :P
The cost of RW BluRay is high. Hope those prices come down soon. Standard 25G at 2 cents a G is very nice.