pup001 on NTFS C:, pupdata on NTFS D:?

Booting, installing, newbie
Zeppis

pup001 on NTFS C:, pupdata on NTFS D:?

#1 Post by Zeppis »

I read about making a pupdata file for all your data. I have free space issues on my NTFS C-drive with Windows installed. I have a 256MB pup001 there. Could it be possible to create a pupdata file on D:\?
I know the pup001 only works in C: in my case, cause I only have NTFS partitions, but it would be nice to store data in D:\pupdata.

Now I read in other threads that pupdata is easily made just by downloading pup001.zip and unzipping and then renaming to pupdata. The instructions in that thread however advised to put it in the same folder with pup001, that is the C:\ partition.

Does it really make a difference if I unzip pupdata to the D-drive, resize it in Windows with the pupextra, then do the following:

resize2fs -pf /mnt/hda5/pupdata (hda 5 is my D-partition, which is NTFS)

cd ~
mkdir /root/data
mount -o loop /mnt/hda5/pupdata /root/data
cd /root/data
rm fr *

will something go wrong with this?

rarsa

Re: pup001 on NTFS C:, pupdata on NTFS D:?

#2 Post by rarsa »

Zeppis wrote:Could it be possible to create a pupdata file on D:\?
Absolutelly YES.
Zeppis wrote:I know the pup001 only works in C:
This is incorrect. the pup001 file can be anywhere, you just need to boot with the option that says "Select location of pupxxx file.
Zeppis wrote:Now I read in other threads that pupdata is easily made just by downloading pup001.zip and unzipping and then renaming to pupdata.
As easy as that, the steps that you have at the end of your post are correct.
Zeppis wrote:The instructions in that thread however advised to put it in the same folder with pup001, that is the C:\ partition.
This is just for convenience and to simplify the explanation because the partition where the pup001 file is is always mounted as /mnt/home. If you don't put it there, you will first need to mount the hda5 partition and then mount the pupdata file.
will something go wrong with this?
Nothing wrong with this. Your steps are correct.

I would add that you may want to add the following to your /etc/rc.d/rc.local so your data is always available as soon as you boot.

Code: Select all

mkdir /mnt/hda5
mount /dev/hda5  /mnt/hda5
mount -o loop /mnt/hda5/pupdata /root/data
[url]http://rarsa.blogspot.com[/url] Covering my eclectic thoughts
[url]http://www.kwlug.org/blog/48[/url] Covering my Linux How-to

Zeppis

#3 Post by Zeppis »

Thank you very much! I'll give it a try.

Edit: didn't get around to the pupdata thing yet, but I did put an empty pup001 on my D-partition and deleted the old one from C:\

When puppy starts, I choose option 3. It lists suitable partitions, which are none.
I type in "hda5" and it says "Error: Partition does not exist."

I recall it did the same thing last time I tried... the first time I ever actually got pup001 to work was when I inserted a USB stick, chose option 3 and put in "sda1". That was before I found the NTFS workaround.

so what should I write in there? My D-partition is NTFS, see... or do I need to put /dev/hda5 perhaps? At least while in Puppy, the D-partition is named hda5...

rarsa

#4 Post by rarsa »

That is weird. It looks like a bug. I've done it and it works for me.

Just to confirm: You are typing hda5 without the quotes, isn't it?
[url]http://rarsa.blogspot.com[/url] Covering my eclectic thoughts
[url]http://www.kwlug.org/blog/48[/url] Covering my Linux How-to

Zeppis

#5 Post by Zeppis »

yes, I'm typing hda5 without quotes... I'm using Puppy 1.0.7, is that a problem? I have now downloaded both 1.0.8r1 and puppy2 alpha dated 28.4. I have yet to burn them, cause I don't have CDs. I'll buy some tomorrow and try...